The Job Applicant

Story Info
A young wife sacrifices herself for her husband.
7.2k words
3.74
123.3k
33
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Moondrift
Moondrift
2,278 Followers

"Old Harvey Perkins is retiring," Adrian said.

Patience laughed and responded, "It's about time, he's been CEO for...well it seems like for ever."

"Not quite for ever," Adrian grinned. "He was with Old Mr. Montgomery when he started the company, worked his way up, and when the company went public he landed the CEO's job."

The company in question was the Montgomery Brick and Roof Tile Company, known among the employees simply as "Monty's." Once it went public it had expanded far beyond the business established by old Mr. Montgomery to absorb rivals and take in quarries and even a foundry and a small engineering plant.

Old Mr. Montgomery had long gone to his just rewards, but the Montgomery family still held the majority of shares, and the board consisted mainly of the Montgomery family, with "Young" Mr. Montgomery as the chairman.

Patience looked at Adrian questioningly and asked, "Are you thinking of applying?"

Adrian shrugged and said, "I've thought about it, but I don't think I'd have much chance."

"Why not?" Patience said indignantly, "you've done a marvellous job as production manager so why wouldn't you stand a chance?"

Adrian and Patience were only eighteen months into their marriage and she was immensely proud of Adrian's success. He had started as an apprentice in the foundry and his talent had been quickly recognised and he had been passed around the various branches of the company and finally landed his managerial job when he was twenty nine. At the age of thirty three he had married the lovely Patience who was some ten years his junior.

"Fred Hendricks is going to apply," Adrian went on, "and they're going to call for outside applications so I don't think I'd stand a chance; there are some pretty bright boys out there."

"Fred Hendricks," Patience said disdainfully, "a sales manager, what does he know...?"

"He's been with the company longer than I have," Adrian interrupted, "and he knows a lot more about the outside contacts than me. If it came to a choice between Fred and me I think the board would choose Fred, for a start he's older than me"

"You don't know that," Patience said soothingly, "and you never will know unless you apply." She looked searchingly at Adrian and asked, "Would you really want the job?"

"Yes, yes I would," Adrian replied earnestly. "I think I've fantasised about being CEO since early in my apprenticeship, but..." His voice trailed away.

"Then for goodness sake apply," Patience said with all the ardour of a young wife ambitious for her husband."

"And if I don't get the job?"

"Then we're no worse off than we are now."

Adrian laughed and said, "We'd be a hell of a lot better off if I did get the job."

"It's not just the money," Patience said seriously, "If you really want the job I'd want it for you."

Adrian laughed and kissed her and said, "Right now there's something I want more than the job, let's go to bed."

Patience returned his laugh as said, "If you do get to be CEO you'd better still want to go to bed with me."

* * * * * * * *

Adrian duly applied for the job and together with Fred Hendricks there were a lot of outside applicants. After preliminary interviews it came down to Fred, Adrian and three outside applicants. What Fred and Adrian knew, but the outside applicants did not know, was that in the end it rested with Young Mr. Montgomery. Whoever got the nod from him would be the successful applicant.

Young Mr. Montgomery was not exactly young. He was in his early fifties and was still a handsome man in that middle aged leonine way some men are fortunate to acquire. At the age of twenty five, and at the urging of his late father, he had married a wealthy widow. The purpose was to get her to inject capital into the company, and that had in fact first set the company on the road to success and expansion. The marriage had been childless and the woman had died some five years before the CEO vacancy emerged, and Young Mr. Montgomery had not remarried.

He was a great believer in getting to know the wives and families of what he called the "management team." He held the view that managers need the support of their families to be really successful in their jobs, and in practical terms this meant the board, the managers and their families getting together for social occasions.

It was at one of these social occasions that newly married Patience had met Young Mr. Montgomery. On being introduced Young Mr. Montgomery had welcomed her, but in a rather formal manner, and seemed to take no further interest in her beyond what politeness demanded.

This did not bother Patience, who in fact did not enjoy these social occasions, since to her they seemed to consist of talking shop and one-upmanship. She went along however for the sake of her husband.

The process of selecting a new CEO took a long time as such processes usually do, and during this time of seemingly endless waiting on the part of the applicants Adrian's enthusiasm for the job had grown to fever pitch. If he failed to get the job it was almost as if it would be the end of the world for him.

Patience became concerned over what to her seemed an obsessive eagerness on Adrian's part, but she continued to support him as best she could, although she did wonder if she should have encouraged him to apply in the first place.

One sad outcome of the over anxiety Adrian was experiencing was a fall off in his libido, and for a sexually passionate young woman like Patience this was proving very distressing. She almost got to the point of suggesting Adrian drop his application, but seeing how eager he was, and telling herself that their sex life would be all right when the whole business was over, she made no move to dissuade him.

* * * * * * * *

It was a warm summer afternoon and Patience was sitting on the patio, an unread book on her lap, and her mind dwelling, as it often did those days, on what would happen if Adrian failed to get the job.

She was suddenly jolted out of her reverie by a voice saying, "Good afternoon Mrs. Austin."

Patience gasped and swung round in her seat to see Young Mr. Montgomery standing behind her.

He smiled and said, "I'm sorry if I startled you, but I did ring the front door bell, and seeing a car in the drive I thought someone must be at home so I decided to come round the back.

"Mr. Montgomery," Patience gasped, "I'm afraid Adrian's at work and..."

"Oh I know that my dear," Mr. Montgomery said, "I just happened to be passing and I thought I'd drop in to see you."

"Me!"

"Yes," Mr. Montgomery said smoothly, "you know how I like to keep in touch with my managers' families, and we haven't got to know each other very well so far. I thought this would be an opportunity."

"It's very kind of you Mr. Montgomery," Patience said, wondering what his real motive was.

"Not at all," he replied, "I felt it was rather important that we had a little talk seeing that Adrian is one of the applicants for the CEO's job. If he were to be successful it might mean a change in life style for you both."

"Do you think Adrian has a chance?" Patience asked shyly.

"Ah, now that's something I can't discuss with you young lady," Montgomery replied, "that's still under consideration by the board, but if it's any comfort we expect to make our decision within the next month."

"I shouldn't have asked," Patience said contritely.

"No, no, perfectly natural," Montgomery assured her, "but you understand my position."

"Yes, of course Mr. Montgomery," she replied.

"Seeing that we are, as it were, far from the madding crowd, ha-ha, and this is a friendly visit, why don't you call me Donald?"

"Yes, if you wish," Patience said doubtfully.

"And you won't mind if I call you Patience?"

"No, no, not at all; can I get you some tea or coffee?"

"That would be very kind of you Patience, tea would be fine."

Taking that to be a "yes" Patience went off to get the tea, leaving Donald sitting on the patio. On her return it was to find Donald standing in the garden gazing at some roses.

"You have a beautiful garden," he said, "your work?"

"Most of it," Patience replied. "I love gardening and Adrian doesn't have much time for it."

"Ah, lucky man," Donald said, "a beautiful wife who makes a beautiful garden for him; two fortunate men.

"Two men?"

"Oh sorry, I was thinking of the other in-house applicant, Fred Hendricks, he too has a beautiful wife. Do you know Mrs. Hendricks?"

Patience remembered seeing Francesca Hendricks at the company social gatherings and yes, she was a darkly attractive woman in her mid thirties with a buxom but superb figure.

"I don't exactly know her, but I have seen her," Patience replied, "she's certainly very attractive."

They sat and began to drink their tea. Donald gazed out pensively over the garden for a while and then said, "Yes, very attractive, and she's very keen for Fred to get the job," and he added hastily, "Just as I assume you are keen for Adrian to get the job."

"Yes, I know how much it means to him."

"Of course, and it makes me feel very responsible," Donald said dreamily.

"Responsible?"

"Knowing that in a sense I hold the future lives of young men in my hands, so to speak."

"Yes, I see," Patience said.

Donald suddenly became very business like. "Look at it this way Patience, we now have five candidates left to consider. Each of them has desirable qualities for the position, but of course no one of them has all the qualities. Two, Adrian and Fred from within the company and three outsiders; it's very difficult my dear.

"Yes, it must be," Patience said, trying to sound sympathetic.

"It's made even more difficult because however long the board dithers around trying to make up its collective mind, I know and they know that it finally comes down to me. Whoever I indicate as my choice, that's the one they'll accept. With all the applicants just about equally well qualified, it makes it hard; do you see what I mean?"

"Yes, I certainly do," Patience said. "So how do you decide?"

Donald smiled, as if to him self and said, "It often comes down to things that have no direct bearing on the job itself.

"Like what?"

Donald seemed to veer away from the conversation to take another tack.

"You know my dear; it's been very difficult since the death of my wife. I miss the home comforts and I don't think I'm suited to the celibate life, if you see what I mean?

"I understand," Patience said.

"I see Adrian and Fred enjoying the company of attractive women -- women who support them in their careers and I must admit I feel somewhat envious."

He looked at Patience and said, "I could see in the interviews how keen Adrian is to be CEO my dear."

"Yes, I know," Patience said, "it almost seems as if it's become a life and death issue with him, and it was me who encouraged him to apply for the position."

"And now you'd do anything to give him the edge, eh?"

"I suppose so," Patience said, wondering where the conversation was heading.

Donald returned to his apparently pensive mood and went on, "I shouldn't say this, my dear, but there might be a way for you to give him that edge."

"Oh, how?" Patience asked eagerly.

Donald looked out over the garden again and said, "I would appreciate enjoying some of the home comforts that Adrian, fortunate man that he is, enjoys."

Patience began to suspect where things were heading, but she said, "I don't understand."

"Oh I think you do my dear, and would it be too much of a sacrifice if it ensured your husband's future? Would you find a brief encounter, as they say, so difficult, so unpleasant? Think of it logically, what would it be, a brief dalliance, compared to a lifetime of being the virtuous wife; a small investment to make for a big return?"

"Mr. Montgomery, are you suggesting that I buy my husband that job with my body?"

With calm deliberation Donald said, "I'm merely suggesting that it would help your husband's cause if you, as a friendly gesture, you were to let me have the pleasure of a brief affair with you."

Patience stood and said angrily, "Then the answer is no, and would you leave now."

Donald rose and smiling benignly he said, "Of course, were you to breathe one word of this conversation to anyone, Adrian could say goodbye to his chances. You understand me?"

"Yes, I understand you, Mr, Montgomery," Patience snapped savagely. "Now please go."

"Of course my dear, but if you should change your mind, call me on my mobile." He placed a business card on the table saying, "You'll find the number on my card; goodbye, and thank you for the tea."

He strode away, leaving behind a close to angry tears Patience.

That evening in the Austin house the conversation got round, as it always did those days, to the job and Adrian's chances.

"Adrian," Patience said, "I think you've become fanatical about this job, it seems to absorb you, and it's like living with a stranger. Even if you don't get it nothing much will have changed for us. If you do get it it's true it will mean more money, but is that really so important, and is it worth making yourself ill over it?"

Adrian seemed to relax for a moment and said, "I'm sorry darling, I know I must have been hard to live with lately, but you see, I never thought I'd have the opportunity to even apply -- or not for years anyway -- and...well, I told you that even as an apprentice I had this dream of one day getting the top job."

"It means so much to you?"

"Yes it does, and if I don't get it I shall resign."

"Resign!"

"Just think of it," Adrian said miserably, "if Fred gets the job I shall lose face; everyone will see me as second rate."

"If Fred gets it," Patience said doubtfully.

"Oh he's sure he's going to get the job, he's not making any secret of that, it's as if he's been tipped off that he's got it."

It was then that Patience saw that she was in a trap. By rejecting Donald she had almost certainly ended Adrian's chances of getting the job. If she had submitted to Donald it would have guaranteed that Adrian got the job.

She recalled Donald's words, "Would it be too much of a sacrifice if it ensured your husband's future?"

That night they were both restless, each wrapped in their own thoughts and anxieties. By morning Patience had made her decision.

* * * * * * * *

Patience had left Donald's business card where he had placed it, on the patio table, but it must have blown away in the interim. She went in search of it. She hunted around and finally found it caught in some gooseberry bushes.

She hesitated, deep in thought before pressing in the numbers. It would only be once and even though he looked younger than his years he was in his fifties, and in Patience's opinion men of that age were not very virile. As Donald had said, "Would you find a brief encounter, as they say, so difficult, so unpleasant?"

Yes, she could cope with this one act of adultery and Adrian would reap the reward of her sacrifice.

She pressed in the numbers; there was a brief pause and then "Montgomery."

"Patience Austin."

"Ah."

"All right, I'll do what you want."

"Excellent my dear, I thought you might see sense."

"Where and when?"

"I think your place would be best, there tends to be a lot of coming and going at my place."

"But if Adrian..."

"Don't you worry about that my dear, just leave it all to me, I'll see that we're not interrupted. I suggest the day after tomorrow if that's convenient.

"Yes...yes that will be all right."

"Excellent, then I'll be with you the day after tomorrow, shall we say, around ten thirty in the morning."

"Yes," Patience said resignedly.

"I'm sure you'll never regret it," Donald said, "and so until the day after tomorrow."

Patience breathed a sigh of relief. Now she was committed and Adrian's future was assured. Donald had said that he could make sure that Adrian would not know, and Patience wondered how.

She found out that evening when Adrian arrived home from work.

"Darling," Adrian said, "I'm afraid I've got to go away for a week. They're having production problems at one of out country plants and I've been asked to sort it out."

"A week!" Patience exclaimed.

"Sorry darling," Adrian said, "but it can take time to sort these things out, and if I can straighten things out it might improve my chances in the race for CEO."

"Yes, I suppose it would," Patience said, wondering why Donald had made it a week when just one day would have done.

Adrian chuckled and said, "Sorry darling, but I suppose you can survive a week without me."

It was obvious to Patience that Adrian was buoyed up by the thought that a successful outcome from his visit to the country plant might help him succeed in his race for the top job, and she found it rather touching. But Patience knew what would really guarantee him that job.

She smiled and kissed Adrian saying, "Yes, I suppose I can survive a week without you."

Adrian thought for a moment and then said, "Would you like to come with me, we could put up in a motel and..."

"No...no darling," Patience said hastily, "I really do have a lot to do and it's only for a week and when you're the CEO you'll probably have to be away from home a great deal and..."

Adrian laughed and said, "You seem very sure that I'll get the job."

Feeling a pang of guilt Patience said, "Of course I'm sure, you'll be a marvellous CEO, and how could you fail with a wife like me behind you?"

"True," Adrian chuckled, "and when I am CEO you'll travel with me, and there'll be no excuses about being too busy."

That night, and for the first time in weeks, Adrian made passionate love with Patience.

* * * * * * * *

Ten thirty was approaching, and Patience had made what she thought were appropriate preparations. She was determined not to respond Donald, she would let him do what was necessary and no more, and she certainly would resist having an orgasm. She had gone to the trouble of buying some vaginal lubricant -- something she had never had to use with Adrian -- and she was wearing a simple cotton housecoat and was naked underneath. She wanted it to be over quickly.

Promptly at ten thirty Donald rang the front door bell and Patience answered it. She was somewhat disconcerted when she saw he was carrying a large holdall.

Donald looked at her approvingly and said, "You seem to be ready my dear, does this promise some eagerness?"

"It promises I'll do what you've asked for," Patience said resentfully, "and what's the bag for?"

Donald laughed and said, "You don't think I'd be wearing the same underwear, shirts and socks for a week do you?"

"A week!" Patience exclaimed. "You don't mean that you're staying here for week."

"But of course my dear," Donald said coolly, "I thought you'd get the message when you heard I'd sent Adrian off for a week."

"That wasn't what we agreed," Patience protested wildly. "It was to be once and once only."

Donald smiled and said, "I don't recall us making any such agreement, we merely talked about you and I enjoying some sexual conviviality."

"You can't stay here for a week," Patience said as firmly as she could.

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Patience," Donald said, "but if you've changed your mind I can go, but just remember, there's a lot at stake for Adrian, it's a big chance for him and that requires an appropriately big sacrifice on your part. So do you want me to leave?"

Patience could see she was snared. If she told Donald to leave now that would certainly end Adrian's chances, and again calculating that at more than fifty Donald would only be able to manage it once a day she said, "All right, stay."

"A wise decision," Donald chortled, "I'm sure you won't regret your decision; now where shall we..."

"In the spare bedroom," Patience interrupted hastily.

Moondrift
Moondrift
2,278 Followers