The Last Conversation

Story Info
A short vignette between a man and wife - No Sex.
776 words
2.67
28.6k
10
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Her phone blared out the "Da doo Da Doo" of a horn announcing the hunt. They both glanced down at it, his eyes narrowed. She smiled and tapped the "Decline" button.

"You don't want to talk to him?" His voice sounded rough, even to him.

"I'll talk to him later. Right now, I'm talking to you."

"I don't know what else to say."

"Do you still love me?"

"Yes, damn me, I do, but you're not going to stop, are you?"

"No."

His shoulders slumped. His eyes dropped down to his plate of food. He hadn't taken even a single bite, even though the steak looked delicious. Her plate was almost clean, with just a little of the chicken and asparagus left.

"You started this." She took another bite of asparagus, savoring the flavor.

"It was four years ago, Mary."

"But it was the start."

"And so this is just the way it will be?"

She shrugged. "I enjoy it."

"Haven't I paid enough? Haven't I suffered enough, Mary? I can't go on like this."

She took a sip of wine, emptying her second glass of the night. After she swallowed, she looked him in the eyes.

"It isn't about you suffering. You opened this Pandora's box. I grew and changed." Her face was blank as she studied him.

"So, nothing I can say will make you stop."

"Why should I stop? I'm having fun. It excites me and makes me feel alive and appreciated."

"Don't I make you feel appreciated?" He looked back up at her.

Her laugh surprised him. "You do. But they do too. They treat me like a queen. You saw the ankle bracelet Andrew gave me. It must have cost a fortune, twenty diamonds in fourteen karat white gold. You know I wear it all the time. I'm wearing it now." She shifted her left leg out, letting him see the beautiful diamond bracelet on her slim ankle.

His eyes followed her amazing leg up; past her knee to where her taut thigh disappeared under the short, black pencil skirt she was wearing. The skirt was so short he could almost see her panties.

"I know."

They sat in silence for a while. The waiter came back and refilled her wine glass, ignoring him while never taking his eyes off the cleavage his wife was displaying in her low cut, white blouse.

"We can make this work if you just accept it." She took another bite of chicken from her plate and chewed it as she waited for his response.

"I don't think I can, Mary. I've regretted my one mistake ever since that night. I've tried to live with the consequences, but I can't do this anymore. Please, stop this. Please stop punishing me."

His wife sat her fork down and studied him for a moment.

"John, this isn't about what you did four years ago. Yes, that triggered it, but, even if you hadn't slipped, I would have eventually realized that I needed more than you can give. I was already unhappy."

"What can I do to make you happy, Mary? What more can I give?"

She pursed her lips. "That's what I'm trying to tell you, John. There isn't anything more you can give. There isn't anything you can do to make me happy, except accept this and be happy with me. This is who I am. Accept it and we will be fine."

"I can't do that, Mary. I've tried, but it kills me every time."

She took the last bite from her plate. "This chicken is really good. I love the asparagus too. You should eat."

He looked down at his plate, steak, potato, and steamed broccoli, all untouched. A tear crested in his eye and dripped down his cheek. Hastily, he wiped it away. His stomach churned and he knew that if he took even a single bite he would be sick.

She took a sip of wine. "This wine is excellent. I'll have to pick up a bottle or two. Dave will really like it." Setting the glass down, she looked at him and her lips tightened.

They sat like that for a few moments, her watching him. Finally, she nodded, sadness filling her eyes.

"I'm sorry, John. I do love you but I can't change who I am."

He gazed at her. She was beautiful; sex personified, in her revealing top and short skirt. He watched as she picked up her phone and pressed a button. Standing she looked down at him.

"Goodbye, John."

He watched her turn. She said something into the phone and then laughed as she walked toward the exit.