The Line

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I hear you, Mark. I'm going to check with Mary Wright and see if she can remember the sound of the voice of the leader of the group that attacked her. I've made copies of the taped statements of the people who accused Luke. If she thinks that she can remember the voice I'll play her a small section of the interviews of each of Luke's accusers. Maybe there is a tie in here. If not, we won't have lost anything."

"Oh, and another thing Jim: there is one other item that I need to make you aware of. I also have another piece of forensic evidence that has me a bit confused. There was a 9mm pistol found at the scene of the attack in the park. The prints on the gun belong to the kid who's wrist was so badly broken. He doesn't have a pistol permit. The gun's serial number indicates that it is the service weapon issued to chief of police Riley!"

"Phew! Run that by me again. Are you saying that one of the kids who was chewed up last night was carrying an illegal concealed weapon that belongs to Chief Riley?"

"In a nut shell, yes! To add to the confusion I should tell you that this kid is the Chief Riley's son. He has a minor rap sheet but that is only because his father has pulled all sorts of strings to sidestep some of the problems he has put himself in. The kid has a wicked temper and is widely known as a bully."

"Are you charging him for the weapons violation?"

"That is still an open question. Chief Riley has already started to pull strings to try to hush this up. I'm due for retirement next year and can't afford to lose it. But, at the same time, I think that this gun fits into the attack. After all, the chief's son is the only kid with permanent damage; and that damage is to the wrist of the hand that was holding the gun!"

"That makes the attack to his arm sound like it was done by someone who understood the danger posed by the gun. That wouldn't be a wild animal."

"Yeah, I know. But then we're faced with an attack that can only have been done by an animal and this animal needs to be able to analyze the risks presented by the pistol. This gets very confusing very rapidly. "

"You said a mouthful, Jim. I've got to get busy now. I'm going to put together a time line to try to test out Luke's story. I don't think that there's a problem with it, but I've got to check it out. Let me know if you find anything that would help with my case and I'll keep you informed of anything that might be relevant to yours."

"Sounds good! I'm tempted to quietly talk to the district commander for the State Police about this gun issue. It is a state offense, and if they come in asking for evidence we'll have to give it to them."

* * * * * *

Jim Wood was ushered to the bedside of Mary Wright by an ICU nurse.

"You have five minutes detective, unless I see Mary's vital signs changing in the wrong direction. Be gentle in your questioning."

"I'll try to keep from upsetting her."

The nurse turned to Mary and said, "Mary, this gentlemen is a police detective who is trying to find out who did this to you. Do you feel up to answering a few questions?"

Mary opened her eyes and after a moment's pause said "yes, I think so".

Detective Wood spoke. "I'm sorry to have to ask you these questions, but I need some information that you may not remember if I wait for another week or two. I want you to think back to the night of the attack. Can you remember the voice of the leader of the gang that did this to you?"

"I think so, officer."

"Mary, I would like to play a short section of tape for you. It has several different people talking, one after the other. Please listen to the tape and stop me if you hear the voice."

"O.K. I can't promise that I can recognize the voice, but I will give it my best shot."

Jim Wood pressed the button on the tape recorder. One voice after another, identified by Jim's own voice calling off an index number to identify each voice, came from the small recorder. At the fifth voice Mary opened her eyes widely and said "that's him!".

Jim was about to have her listen again, just to make sure, when the ICU nurse came over and said: "Detective, you need to stop - now! Her pulse rate just took a major jump. If her blood pressure goes up too far there is a chance of new internal bleeding. You must leave now."

"I'll go right away. Thank you Mary, I'm sorry to have upset you."

Mary had no response because by that time the nurse had already hit the button on the morphine drip pump, sending a bolus of the drug into her system. She slowly closed her eyes and her heart rate monitor showed her pulse slowly slowing down.

* * * * * *

Detective Wood went straight to Detective Fabrizzio's office.

"Mark, we've got a hit!" Mary Wright recognized the voice of the one who led the group that beat her. It's number five on my tape and that voice belongs to Bud Lisk, the son of Frank Lisk, the owner of Lisk's Food Mart. I did some double checking and his wounds are different from most of those suffered by the rest of the group that went to the emergency room last night. He had both Achilles' tendons and the attachments for both biceps cut loose, effectively crippling him. He's the only one who had both arms and both legs disabled. We now have an attacking animal who could identify the danger of a firearm and pick out the leader of the group. This is some animal. If I believed in the stuff attributed to the traditional monsters I would have to guess that we had a werewolf on our hands. Now, don't get me wrong; I'm not seriously suggesting that we have a werewolf. But if such a creature existed, it would explain all the facts that we have in front of us."

"Now that you mention it, it would. But, of course, there are no such animals. Or, should I say there are no such animals as portrayed in most stories that talk about them."

"I think we need to place an armed police guard in the hospital ICU. We can't let anything happen to our star witness in the first mugging."

"Mark, I need to get certified copies of the finger print evidence, the pistol serial number and photo, and the doctor's report on the Chief's son. I need to get them very quietly so that the request can't be traced to me. How would you go about doing that?"

"I see where you are headed. Don't go after them yourself. If I get the evidence identification numbers corresponding to each of those items I could bring them to a friend of mine in the state police. If we get a request from them, say later today, the chief won't have had time enough to make the evidence disappear. Write the numbers down for me and I'll clue my friend in on our problem. It would be different if our internal affairs group wasn't chaired by Chief Riley. But, since it is, we need to go outside to make this work. I'll bet we can approach this from the point of view of a corrupt city official. After all, it is against state law to interfere with police operations; even if you are the chief."

* * * * * *

Captain Henry Murphy was a twenty-five year veteran of the state police. He had started out as a patrol officer and moved up steadily; based upon excellent police work and exceptional people skills. He was a bit surprised to find Mark Fabrizzio in his office.

"Hi Mark, what brings you here? Is it a social call, or is it work related?"

Mark shut the captain's office door and said; "Henry, in this particular case this is a visit that never happened. You have not seen or heard from me recently! This is about as "hush hush" as things can get. Can we work on that basis?"

"I think so, Mark. What is so sensitive that you are here under these conditions?"

"We have a situation, Henry. Our internal affairs group is chaired by a person who has made evidence vanish in the past and we have a hot one on our hands right now!"

"What have you got?

"The other night there was an attack, and an attempted attack, in the park. One of the wounded kids is the son of our Chief Riley. He had the chief's sidearm in his possession at the site of the fight, and he doesn't have a pistol permit. This kid has been in trouble before but Chief Riley has made it clear that any trouble must turn into a verbal report to him; with no records kept in the kid's file. This kid is dangerous and he'll walk if we don't get the information to someone who can do something about it. I can't go to the sheriff because he's a "drinking buddy" of the chief. I have the case number and evidence list here. This is your copy. If someone were to ask for copies of the evidence, very soon, maybe justice will be done."

There was a long pause and then Henry said; "It's funny you should bring that subject up. Hold on a minute."

Henry Murphy picked up the phone and made a brief call. Moments later another man came into the office.

"Mark, this is Detective John Hughes. Please tell him what you just told me."

The information was repeated and the discussion continued for about ten minutes. At the end of that time Henry handed the list of the evidence that he was supposed to get to Detective Hughes; and, told him to get a hold of their contact in the Attorney General's office.

"Mark, you haven't been here. We haven't seen you. And there is an investigation going on that your department knows nothing about. Your information may be the key we need to finish this case. Whatever you do, do not mention this discussion even to your wife. Our very important case may have just been cracked by your request for help. There will be a subpoena delivered for this information this afternoon, probably right after lunch. Again, you know nothing, have seen nothing, and will say nothing until I tell you otherwise. Is that clear?"

"It couldn't be clearer Henry, Thanks!!"

* * * * * *

Detective John Hughes arrived at the police station at just about half past one, that afternoon. With him was deputy attorney general Al Moore representing their state's political corruption department. Al was heading up the investigation of what appeared to be major corruption in the local city government. Detective Hughes and the attorney headed directly to the property/evidence vault. When they arrived they found Jerry Brown, the clerk, doing a crossword puzzle.

"Officer Brown, this is a subpoena for the following evidence. We will wait here while you bring us the originals and will notarize the copies you will make while we are present."

"Whoa there, I need Chief Riley's permission to do this; let me call him."

"Officer Brown, I should let you know right now that anyone who delays or tries to block this subpoena will be arrested on the spot and charged with obstructing justice. I will repeat what I have said; "We will wait here while you bring us the originals and will notarize the copies you will make while we are present. You will not call Chief Riley."

Officer Brown, looking a little pale, called detective Jim Wood and told him to bring the entire package of evidence down to him immediately. He had hardly hung up the phone when Jim walked into the room carrying a thick manila folder.

"Here they are Jerry, what's the hurry?"

Detective Hughes held up the subpoena and spoke up "The hurry is that we have a subpoena for that evidence. We will stand here with you and officer Brown while copies are made of this material. We will notarize them and then be out of your way."

Without any discussion Jim handed the folder to Detective Hughes. The file's contents, except for the X-Ray (which was a copy of the original at the hospital), were copied and the deputy attorney general notarized them. Added to the file was a copy of the subpoena and an official letter indicating that only those files that had been notarized by the attorney general's staff were to be allowed into evidence. Newly discovered evidence was exempted from this requirement, but the letter specified the address to which official copies of such new evidence must be sent.

Officer Brown was now looking very pale.

"Officer Brown we are going to see the chief now. Do not phone him to let him know that we are coming up. Do you understand?"

All Jerry Brown could do was nod his head in agreement. He sat down before his rubbery legs made him fall down. He knew that this was not going to be a good day.

* * * * * *

Chief Riley was at his desk when detective Hughes and the deputy attorney general from the state's political corruption department arrived. He cordially invited them in and asked them to sit.

The chief then asked the obvious question, "What can I do for you folks today, or is this just a social visit?".

Detective Hughes spoke first; "Chief Riley, this is deputy attorney general Moore. Moments ago we served a subpoena for some evidence that was recently collected, by your department. Your evidence room clerk wanted to call you first but we ordered him not to. Attorney Moore will continue telling you what is going on.

Deputy Attorney General Moore spoke: "Chief Riley, we are investigating a set of serious allegations. In order to find the truth we need to collect information that has been uncontaminated. Part of this evidence may involve the personal files of the leadership of your department. We have brought along special seals, from the attorney general's office, and, as we speak, the files of everyone above the rank of detective are being sealed. You will be able to access these files only with a representative of the attorney general's office present. In the next few minutes an auditing team with representatives from the state police and attorney general's office will be here to start sifting through the information in your files. At this very moment a similar team is starting to go through the files of the city Judge, the mayor, and the sheriff. We have credible reasons to believe that there have been several crimes committed, in this city, that have not been treated per state law. We also are very sure that influence peddling has been going on. Do you have any questions?"

Chief Riley looked like he was going to explode. He got up and was almost yelling: "Upon who's authority are you doing this? Heads will roll when I start calling friends. How dare you come in here and insinuate that I am not doing my job correctly? How ... "

"Hold it chief, this investigation has been personally authorized by both the governor of the state and the Attorney General of the state. Do you have some higher friends who will override them?"

The chief stared at them with unconcealed hatred.

"Well, since you now understand where things stand we will start sealing your files. Oh, by the way, another group is retrieving all your files from home. Don't feel singled out the city Judge and the sheriff are being relieved of their files as well. If you don't think you can go along with this the governor has already signed the paperwork to allow us to replace you with a custodial chief while the investigation is going on. Oh, and one more thing, you are not to leave the state until this matter is cleared up. Do you understand?"

"Get out of my office. You do not have the right to do this..."

Detective Hughes broke in; "Chief Riley, you are now in custody of the state police. Here is the court order that authorizes your confinement to house arrest at your residence. You may not take anything from this office with you, except for your clothes and what is in your pockets (after we have seen what's in your pockets that is). And, by the way, you will be wearing an electronic bracelet to assure that you are obeying this court order."

Chief Riley didn't say another word, but if looks could kill, both of his "visitors" would have been dead.

* * * * * *

After dealing with the chief, Attorney Moore collected the files that his subordinates had been gathering. With the evidence in Attorney Moore's SUV Detective Hughes and Attorney Moore left the city police station and started the drive back to the state police barracks. Attorney Moore spoke first; "Since it is late Friday we need to store this evidence someplace safe for the weekend. It has to be secure so that we can attest to the unbroken nature of the evidence custody trail when we need the evidence in court." (Note to reader: If, at any time, evidence has been out from under direct control/protection of police (or judicial) authorities it is possible that it could have been "tainted" or "corrupted". As such, unprotected/uncontrolled evidence is not readily admissible in most criminal legal actions.) "I have a safe at home but it isn't big enough and even if it were I wouldn't trust evidence in it since my wife and son both know the combination. I don't want to drive sixty miles to get back to my office tonight. Since I only live twenty miles from here. Do you have a safe or locking filing cabinet where evidence can be secured, for the weekend?"

"Sure thing, Al, beside having an evidence room we always have an officer on duty round the clock. Not only will it be secured, it will have a chain of witnesses that nobody removed it from the evidence room during the night or weekend. The only thing I am concerned about is that the room is neither a true safe nor fireproof enclosure. As you know our police barracks is basically a frame house that has been modified for our uses. The inclusion of a walk in vault wasn't high on anyone's priority list when the place was built. If you think that is o.k. for this weekend you can store the documents in our evidence room."

"It sounds good to me, John. I will feel much better when this evidence is safely locked away."

* * * * * *

Chief Riley arrived home a half hour after the meeting with John Hughes and Al Moore. He immediately went to his den, locked the door, poured himself a stiff drink, and called Judge Henry Goodwin.

"Hi Henry, we have a problem. I lost my temper and am now confined to my house with an electronic bracelet on to make sure I stay here. My visitors this afternoon were from the state police and the attorney general's office. There is enough evidence in the papers that they took with them to put all of us in deep trouble. I understand that they hit your office too. What evidence did they get from you?"

"Not as much as they would like. I've always been a bit paranoid, so I keep a safe at an apartment (over in Smithton). I rent it under another name. You know the place, we occasionally have our parties over there. The girls we get think we live in the Smithton area, and I'm happy to keep it that way. What have they gotten from you?"

The discussion went on for several more minutes. As the description of the evidence wound down Chief Tom Riley asked: "How are we going to fix this problem?"

"Well, Tom; I am not going to sit by and be sent to prison. I think we need some serious damage control. You indicated that it was attorney Al Moore who was in your office today. I know Al. He lives about twenty miles from here. My bet is that he will have the evidence put into the state police barracks here, rather than drive sixty miles to his office and sixty miles back again. He lives "out in the boonies". I think our best bet is to destroy the evidence that they got, and make sure that Al will never tell anyone what he knows. I have some contacts that you should be glad you don't know about. I'm going to have Al, and the state police barracks taken care of. I'll let you know if I need anything from you. For the moment you need to stay put and don't talk to anyone about what has happened.. That includes your wife!"

* * * * * *

Judge Goodwin's wife had divorced him ten years earlier. The Judge's main problems consisted of being a "control freak", and holding things so close to him that even his wife suspected that she really didn't know him. All information had to flow to the Judge and all decisions had to come from him. His wife finally decided that this wasn't a marriage, she was there as a cook, housekeeper, and company in bed. The Judge didn't want children. This had always bothered her until divorce became the reasonable option. She had filed for divorce over in Smithton so that he couldn't quash the effort. The Judge didn't seem to care. In fact, the Judge did care. He was ecstatic about being single again. He wouldn't have to hide his real dealings from his wife.