The Link Pt. 03: The Huntress

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The assassin began to panic as his foot slammed the gas to the floor. His hands locked onto the steering wheel as the car accelerated beyond ninety. I could feel him fearing his impending death as Caleb forced him off the road, lining up the left headlight with a large oak. The man's bladder gave way, and the car slammed into the tree. His mind went silent. Forever.

Terence threw me into the back seat. Caleb and Garcia followed, both bloodied by the explosion. I wondered if I looked as bad. Caleb collapsed onto my lap, payment for the anger. Everything faded to black.

*****

The car was moving when I awoke. My muscles felt useless and stringy, but the ringing in my head had lessened. Caleb's head was still on my lap. I looked over at Garcia.

"Are you hurt?" Garcia asked. His voice sounded farther away than it actually was. "We're headed to the hospital."

"Just sit tight, Ms. Fuller," Terence called from the front. "I called ahead, and they're waiting for us. Is Mr. McGuire awake?" I thought about Jason, then his mother. Nancy, Wendy, and everyone else in the building. Fake plants that will no longer be a minor joy. I killed them all.

"No hospital," I said.

"You're bleeding. We're taking you to the hospital," Terence insisted.

"No!" I ordered. "The airport. This ends today." Caleb rose slowly from my lap. My anger woke him.

"Ms. Fuller, I'm not going..."

"The airport now," I said clearly, "and you're going to need more men. Make sure they're armed."

"You're not thinking clearly," Garcia said.

"She is," Caleb said, his voice stronger than mine. "Have the pilot develop a flight plan for Seattle." I could feel his simmering anger. It mirrored mine. My soul mate and fellow executioner. What have we become?

"I want the FBI there," I said to Garcia, "I don't care what it costs or what your colonel wants me to agree too. I want to find this Anthony, and then I want them to leave him to me."

"You don't know what you're asking," Garcia said.

"I don't care!" I shouted. "Airport, Terence," I added. He nodded reluctantly and took the next exit. I closed my eyes and calmed my heavy breathing. "No one else dies but this Anthony," I said to Garcia. "No one else." My eyes betrayed me.

Chapter 22 - Teegan

I looked worse than I thought. My chin was missing some skin, and after Caleb carefully cleaned it, it looked like a diseased patch of red speckles. His kiss, more serious than usual, did wonders for the mental healing. Caleb escaped the blast with only a heavily bruised elbow, which he had inadvertently used to break his fall. It was an ugly purple color that was sure would look worse in the morning. I knew it hurt him to bend it, but I let him pretend it was fine. He needed to protect me. I needed him, period.

We returned to the main cabin when the pilot announced take off. Garcia was having a heated conversation on the phone. Rank seemed to have diminished in the light of recent events.

"God damn it, they blew up the whole building," Garcia yelled into the phone. There was a pause as he listened.

"Yes, she'll agree to your demands, but she has some of her own. Give her some national security cover and have FBI agents waiting in Seattle."

"No, I don't think she intends to follow the rules. Damn it; they blew up a retirement home, and we probably gave them the target. You want to know what she's capable of, well let her loose on this scum." There was a long pause and Garcia's face softened. He closed his eyes for a moment, digesting whatever he was hearing.

"Yes, sir. As soon as it's over," Garcia said. There was sadness in his tone as he disconnected.

"They want you to report to McChord Airbase when this is finished," Garcia told me. He wasn't happy about it. I suspected the payment would be stiff.

"And the FBI?" I asked.

"As many agents as they can muster," Garcia said. "They'll answer to me. Just let me know what you need." He looked at the floor of the plane. "You have no idea what you've done. They'll turn you into some kind of guinea pig."

"Thank you, Captain," I said, "It will be worth it if no one else has to die."

"You're not meant to be a test subject," Garcia said. "I hate that I'm part of what's going to happen. It's like I'm turning off a bright light, forcing more darkness into the world."

"I'm just a girl," I said. It's probably best I returned to that role. Caleb smiled at me and internally changed my wording. Yes, a woman to my lover. "I'm sure we can work out a relationship that will benefit both my family and the military." I put my hand on my tummy. Somehow my daughter recognized my thoughts, and I felt her warmth surge through me. Caleb felt it as well.

"Terence, can you get Detective Cruthers on the phone?" I asked. I basked in my baby's warmth, cradled in Caleb's love while I waited for the detective. My life was going to change again. I wondered what turns it would take. Certainly not ones I would choose if I had a choice. Had I ever had a choice?

"Ms. Fuller, this isn't a good time," Cruthers hastily told me. "There's been an explosion, and it's all hands on deck. Can I call you back when the smoke clears?"

"I was there," I said.

"What?"

"It was meant for me. I'm on my way to Seattle to finish this," I said, trying to add strength to my words. I no longer felt in the right, wanting revenge more than justice. It required a determination that everyone around me needed to see. No one could doubt my resolve, or they might talk me out of it. "I need to know where to go once we land. Have you located Anthony Lewis?"

"No, he never stays put long enough," Cruthers said. "I'm not sure you should be doing this on your own. These people have taken the gloves off."

"What about The Wonderful Word of the Lord? Give me someone in a leadership role. They would know about Lewis."

"Sure, but they probably won't tell you."

"They won't have a choice," I said. Caleb wasn't comfortable with the way I sounded. It was a little ominous. I relaxed my voice. "I'll be able to get what I need."

"Sabbatini is still in the books as the owner of the holding company. I'm not sure who is actually running things. He's bedridden, hospice I believe. The paper trail is so obfuscated, it will take me a few more weeks to decipher the real players."

"I'll start with Sabbatini. Where's he located?"

"I'm not even sure he's all there, mentally that is," Cruthers said.

"I have a way with the elderly," I said. My eyes welled up as I remembered Mrs. Tisdale again. I forced the memory away. Plenty of time for grieving later. "Just tell me where he is."

"A place called Rolling Meadows. It's a small private hospital outside of the city. I think you're wasting your time with this one. My investigations tell me he's not very communicative. If you give me some more time, I'll find out who is running the show."

"There is no more time," I said. "Thank you, Detective." I disconnected before she could suggest something reasonable that I might agree to. Putting things off just put more people at risk.

"Are you sure this is what you want to do, Ms. Fuller?" Terence asked me. I could see the fear in his eyes. Not for himself, but for his charge. Jason's sacrifice still ran deep in his veins.

"Yes, and I hope you'll be next to me the whole way," I replied.

"I was about to suggest that very thing, ma'am," Terence said, then looked at Caleb, "not that I don't have faith in you, Mr. McGuire."

"An extra set of eyes would be most welcome," Caleb said. They nodded to each other, a male bonding thing. I liked it. A shared nod between resolute men and I felt safer, though nothing had changed.

"I need to speak to Jamie. Does someone have her number?" I asked. It took a call routed through Victor to make the connection. I traded a promised interview, one with more in-depth questions, for some questionable press. CNBC would hint numerous times that I wasn't as hands off as I had portrayed in my early interview. I was known to be heading to Seattle to talk with WWL, Inc. Speculation about a buyout, or possible merger would be the highlight. It might send my people in a panic for a moment, but Victor would take care of that. It will awaken my enemies. They'll know I'm coming, and maybe, just maybe, Anthony Lewis will come to me.

My life after revenge would no longer be mine. Caleb took my hand. No longer ours. He had no reservations about spending the rest of his life changing diapers while I was being poked and prodded by the military. As long as we were together and died of old age, nothing else mattered. Our baby felt us and joined our love. If only the rest of the world could feel what we feel, heaven on earth. Anthony Lewis, unfortunately, will know only hell.

Chapter 23 - Teegan

Colonel Righthouse had acquired eleven agents. They were lined up on the tarmac as we deplaned. They were told that their mission was of the most classified nature and a necessity for the safety of the United States. Some of the agents didn't look much older than me, but when the flag waved they answered without reservations. Captain Garcia had their complete obedience. I needed more than that.

"Captain, can you gather everyone?" I asked. They gathered quickly as ordered. Most were probably ex-military, even the lone woman had that look about her. "What I'm about to do is confidential, as you have been told. But I need to make you aware of a man that is of special interest. He's caused the death of many people and needs to be stopped. If you see him, don't hesitate to...do whatever you do...to stop people." I wanted to say kill him, but it suddenly sounded wrong. Anthony should be dead, but these agents needed to act within some semblance of the law.

"Do you have a description, a picture?" an agent asked.

"I'll go one better. Can you please join hands in a circle, you know, like a prayer group," I said, adding a smile to soften the strange request. There was a lot of uncomfortableness, the men not conditioned to hold hands with another man. Eventually, like soldiers, they followed orders. I signaled for Terence and Garcia to join the group. They were much less hesitant.

"Now, don't freak out," I said, then took Terence's hand in mine. Like a set of dominoes, I linked my music with each of theirs. A short round of 'shits' and 'my gods' as each person, in turn, felt the bond take hold. I then gathered my determination and shoved the image I had seen from the bomber directly into their minds. For a second, there were thirteen Anthony Lewis' standing before me as my eyes tried to make sense of what I had done.

I released Terence's hand and took a deep breath. He was smiling brightly at me, it being the first time I had bonded with him. He pulled a handkerchief from his pocket and handed it to me.

"You're bleeding," Terence said softly, pointing at his own nose.

"Thank you," I said and wiped my nose. The handkerchief came back red, and I realized it was mine now. "I'll get you a new one," I said. Terence just smiled, awed by the experience.

"That was intense," one of the agents said, which quickly started some shared murmuring. "And that guy is trying to kill you?" The group went silent and looked at me. They had the look of friends now, not soldiers. The bond had made it personal. Damn thing was too powerful sometimes. As a weapon, it could be devastating. I'd have to remember to hide that when the military started their prodding.

"He's part of a group, though I believe he's the main actor. What I just did, the link you just felt, well, they think it's evil," I told them.

"The answer is yes," Caleb chimed in. "The idea is to make sure he doesn't kill her." The lone female agent looked longingly at Caleb, and I bit back a flash of jealousy. The link was a curse when it came to other women. They always saw too much.

I spent some time informing them of my weak plan. Meet this Sabbatini guy and try to figure out who's calling the shots and where I could find Anthony Lewis. Their job was to cover me and to make sure no one else is hurt or killed. The fact that they may know I'm coming might bring the crazies out in the open. The primary goal was to end this with zero collateral damage.

"Then we evacuate the hospital," one of the older agents offered, "at least move them away from whatever portion of the building this Sabbatini is in."

"Easy enough," another agent chimed in, "use the early explosion in Portland as the driver. You know, a nut on the loose scenario. It will get the staff moving quickly, without questions."

"Will that work?" I asked.

"This carries a lot of weight," another agent replied, holding up his badge. "Don't worry, we'll get you in and out safely and Anthony Lewis, or his ilk, won't hurt anyone."

*****

It was a strange feeling pulling into the Rolling Meadows hospital like a military convoy. The last SUV stopped at the entrance, blocking anyone new from entering while the other vehicles pulled into the parking lot. The agents and Terence got out first, then they opened the door for Caleb and me. Two agents started walking around the building in opposite directions in some preordained plan I wasn't aware of. It looked so professional, it gave me hope that this would all work out without more innocent bloodshed.

The building was a single floor structure with a wing going off to the east and one to the west. It had a comfortable look about it, soft red brick with large windows identifying the rooms, maybe ten windows on each wing.

We marched into the front door, the agent in front brandishing his badge at the receptionist desk. "FBI, this facility needs to be evacuated quickly and quietly." The receptionist looked like a fish out water, trying to comprehend the situation. An administrator came out of an attached office quickly.

"What's this?"

"FBI, sir. This facility is under threat," the agent said quietly. The administrator leaned in as the agent continued. "There was an attack in Portland earlier today." The administrator nodded, obviously having seen the event on the news, then his eyes went wide. "We have reason to believe that this may be the next target. Do you have an evacuation plan?"

"Yes, yes we do," the man answered, looking about himself like he expected the plan to appear on the receptionist's desk.

"You also have a patient named Sabbatini?" the agent asked.

"Yes, how did you...room 178," he replied, pointing down the west wing.

"Empty that side of the building first," the agent instructed, signaling to the other agents who moved quickly down the west hallway. "Leave Mr. Sabbatini to us, but all other patients and staff need to be moved to the other side of the building and evacuated from there." The agents commanding tone left no doubt that he expected his orders to be carried out to the letter. The administrator looked to do just that. The place was suddenly alive with noise as rooms were being emptied and the people shifted quickly to the eastern portion of the building. Caleb and I followed the lead agent to Sabbatini's door. Another agent exited the room as we arrived.

"It's clear, though I think the man is rather infirm and unresponsive. Didn't even know I was there," the agent said. I nodded. Caleb and I entered a rather dark room, curtains drawn tight though there was still at least an hour of light left in the day. The smell was a mix of hospital chemicals and body odor. Rather strong for a place that appeared to be high priced.

Caleb fumbled for the light switch and a weak overhead florescent flickered to life. In the bed laid a man that looked more dead than alive. His skin had yellowed, and patchy strands of gray hair hung onto a wrinkled, spotted scalp. The covers were pulled tight to his neck as if someone tucked him in and left him there a long time ago. It reminded me of Jason's wake, though this man looked better suited for it.

"Mr. Sabbatini," I said moving closer. Weak eyelids opened, and his unfocused pupils pointed in my direction, though looking a million miles past me. Caleb moved to the other side of the bed. I could feel his anger rising in defense of the unexpected. It seemed so unnecessary. Sabbatini obviously had one foot in the grave.

"You have come," Sabbatini said. It was all gravel, spoken through phlegm that had solidified in his throat.

"You know me?" I asked, surprised at his statement.

"You are my end," Sabbatini said. Drool followed the words. He didn't have the strength to close his lips to stop it.

"I don't even know you, sir," I said quickly, wondering if senility or some other disease had taken hold. His eyes sharpened at my words as if they were a surprise. The change was out of place, too quick for the feebleness that lay before me. "I'm trying to locate an Anthony Lewis. I understand you may know of him."

"Who?" Sabbatini asked though I could tell he had heard me clearly. His eyes were focused sharply on mine, and I could almost see his lips curling.

"Anthony Lewis."

"I'm not sure I know of anyone by that name," Sabbatini replied. The gravel in his voice had fled. The response was more lucid than I had expected. I could feel Caleb's concern that we were being deceived in some manner.

"He works for you," I said, letting my frustration show.

"Many people work for me," Sabbatini said, then a smile formed on his lips. Yellowed teeth ruined the look, and I sensed the smile was for him, not for me. There was intelligence behind his eyes, sharp and authoritative.

"You are not as infirm as we have been lead to believe," Caleb said. He looked up at me as his anger grew. Maybe we had found the source or at least one of the contributors to our troubles.

"And you are more ignorant than I believed," Sabbatini said, his smile growing grotesquely. The wrinkles on his face grouped around his lips, folding age spots into the creases. I let Caleb's anger fuel my own.

"Enough!" I said. I could tell that talk would drive us in circles. This man may be old, but he wasn't without a mind. He'd tell me what I wanted to know, one way or another. Caleb moved closer to the bed as I pulled the blanket away to expose a decrepit arm. I took his gnarled hand in mine and merged my music with his. Immediately, I knew I had made a horrible mistake.

He wasn't old, it was ancient.

Chapter 24 - Anthony

"Damn it, Trevor. Why didn't you call me sooner?" I yelled into the phone. I was already moving out the door. I was a good thirty minutes away from the hospital. "Gather everyone. No one is exempt - everyone to the hospital." I slammed the door for emphasis, though I knew it wouldn't sound the same over the phone. I disconnected and ran to my car.

The bitch announced she was coming. Mr. Sabbatini was right, evil has no boundaries. If it was a massacre it wanted, a massacre it would get. I jumped into the front seat and reached into the glove compartment. My colt was resting empty. I retrieved it and a clip. A second later, I was flying down the road fully loaded.

If the bitch kills him, I'll tear her apart. Her and her whole damn family, and everyone who ever helped her. God needed a victory, and I was going to give it to him. That bomb should have ended this. So many people have died to try and rid the world of this evil, and now it comes down to me. Knowing traffic, help would be an hour behind me, and that's only if Trevor gets off his ass and moves quickly. Idiot. I couldn't believe he knew about the CNBC story for over an hour before he thought to call me. Probably covering his skin, risking the world for his worthless life.

Thoughts of life without Mr. Sabbatini brushed my mind. I threw them aside. I would be in time because I had to be. There was no other alternative. He is as much my father as I am his son. If it wanted him, it would have to go through me. I pushed the pedal to the floor as I merged onto the highway. Maybe I could get there in twenty minutes.

1...1213141516...20