The Long, White Snake

Story Info
What's wrong with my new apartment? Start with the neighbor.
1.6k words
4.16
5.9k
3
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After we rented the apartment at the Old Inn at Plattsburgh, my wife and I proceeded to unpack and move in, box by box. It was a cold Saturday and we did not see our first neighbor until 10 AM, a common woman, wearing glasses, with scraggly black hair in a long gray coat. She looked at me as if I were scum and hurried on her way. My wife Andi, not the object of the lady's scorn, smiled at me and said, "Welcome to Plattsburgh."

The sixty inch wide screen television weighed about seventy five pounds. It was big and as I went around the corner I struck someone who recoiled backwards. I set the television down to see a gray haired woman in her early sixties holding her nose. "Sorry. I didn't mean -".

"No harm no foul. I'm Hazel Kokava and I live next door to you, in apartment 3."

"Lewis Peasley, apartment 1. But I guess you know that."

"I've already met your wife, Andi. Lovely lady. Well, get moving. I've got to go out to the store."

I shouldered the television and brought it into the apartment. "I just met our next door neighbor. She invited us for dinner. Wasn't that nice of her?"

"Yes," I replied. "I made an impression."

###

After the regular dinner conversation ran its course I had to ask, "Who is the woman with the black hair and gray coat?"

"That's Matty, ah something. I don't remember. She's a little strange. High School Librarian. Always complaining."

"Complaining about what?"

"Well, first I'll tell you why there are so many vacancies. There are twenty four apartments in this building, less than half are ever occupied. On the second floor, in apartment 24, that is the opposite side of the building from us, it's rumored to be haunted. This is an old building and there was a murder up there in 1880 something. Apparitions, things moving, and the usual stuff have been reported. Seems the spirit doesn't want to be disturbed. People don't stay here very long."

"They say where there are ghosts, there are other spirits. Have you ever encountered a ghost or anything else?" asked Andrea.

"No. Don't believe it myself but why tempt fate? I have no business on the second floor. I leave well enough alone."

"That doesn't explain Matty," I asked.

"No, it doesn't. Matty says she's been raped several times but the police investigated and found nothing. No forced entry and no physical evidence."

Andi took a sip of wine. "Mighty desperate rapist."

My wine spit out of my nose. Hurriedly, I wiped up as the women laughed. "She thinks this building is haunted by a long white snake that enters her apartment at night. She's nice, Andi, but she avoids men." Hazel tapped her temple several times with her index finger.

"She'll have to hurry to meet me. I'm leaving Lew here for the winter. We'll drive down to Albany next weekend and I'll fly home to Cape Coral, in southwest Florida."

After more drinks we returned to spend the first night in the apartment. "Do you want to move Lew? I'll be worried about you in this place."

"No, its cheap and its furnished. I need this job and we need the money." As I took out the last of the trash that night I sensed someone watched me in the main hallway. This feeling did not extend into the apartment. As is our custom, Andrea and I made love in the new bed but I think we both just phoned it in.

In the weeks that followed, Andi flew home, it got colder and snowed a lot, and I settled into a routine. It seemed the building creaked all night long. The sensation of being watched in the hallway never diminished. Above me, the tenant's footfalls magnified to thunder-like sound. When the wind was right, some nights the aroma of fresh bread wafted in from the bakery nearby. Later I realized, if the pleasant aroma could come in, so could the cold.

Through the thin walls I could hear Hazel taking a shower and we seemed to leave for work at roughly the same time. We only spoke pleasantries and did not develop any further kind of acquaintance. On rare occasions I crossed paths with Matty, who looked as fearful of me as ever. She never once returned my "Hi". The other tenants kept to themselves. I wished whoever watched me in the hall would testify I was polite to Matty.

One very cold Friday night I could not sleep, could not read, nothing on television, and so I searched the Internet for European vacations I knew we could never afford. I heard a scream. Being already dressed to stay warm, I raced into the drafty hallway and bounded up the stairways. A teenage girl ran toward me away from an old man in dirty working clothes with a large drawn knife. Neither were distinct, if a projected image. The girl ran right though me and my body shivered with a freezing cold sensation. His expression changed from menace to playful as he swatted his hand at me, as if to say "Ah, Pshaw." I turned but the girl and then the man were gone.

Three days later I chanced Matty in the hallway. She spat at me and broke into a run, away from me. The next day I pounded on Hazel's door and told her what I'd seen upstairs. She looked skeptical but heard me out. Then I told her about Matty.

"She swore to the police that two other men who lived here raped her. Now she says the same about you. I swore to her that you don't leave your apartment after dinner. I'd have heard you. I can't change her mind. I expect she'll be moving out soon. You, too, probably. Nobody really stays long here." I felt relieved a bit to have a witness in my corner.

A month went by and nor'easter came to spread around even more snow. The next night was even colder inside and out. I drifted off to sleep but was awoken by a knock on my door. I slid back the chain and unlocked the door to see it was Hazel.

"My heater quit. Perhaps the pipes burst. May I come in?"

"Sure. Do you want some money for a hotel for the night? I've got some cash you can borrow, Hazel."

"Thanks, but what I was really thinking was, may I just sleep on your couch?"

"Certainly. I'll get you some blankets and pillows."

"Thanks Lew. I'm so cold. I promise I won't be a bother."

"Sure, no problem." After she settled down I closed my bedroom door and snuggled into my queen bed. I was uneasy with a stranger in my apartment but I told myself to calm down and get some sleep because tomorrow I might have to dig out to get to work.

I am certain I had dozed off into a light sleep because I startled to hear a crack as the bedroom door gently opened. I laid on my side facing away from the door and decided not to turn to look. The door opened all the way and I heard a slow pace of footfalls. Then I heard the gentle sound of clothing dropped onto the wooden floor. Slowly the sheets and blanket rose on the other side and a body slipped into my bed and came to rest. After two minutes of inhaling the faint smell of gardenia perfume, I rolled over but still did not open my eyes. I pulled my knee up and contacted a soft thigh. I put my top arm out and felt the ribs. They were bare. My hand moved up along the hip and down the thigh. She was naked. I opened my eyes.

Hazel lay on her side and looked at me expectantly; she waited for me to make my move. With only ambient illumination from the clock radio, the years had melted away and she could easily pass for my age, the backside of thirty.

"You want this. You know you do," she said. "You think about it often. And so do I." My hands kneaded her soft, firm breasts as I kissed her lips. Soon, I pumped it in very deep.

The alarm went off at the normal time. I awoke and reached under the sheets for Hazel but she was gone. All I found was the sticky wet spot. I got up and readied for work.

At the door I heard no sound but the creaking building. I was nonplussed as I removed the chain. Once into the hallway I heard the chain slide away and Hazel emerged from her apartment. "Good Morning, Hazel." I smiled.

"Good Morning, Lew," she beamed. "Is the heat back on your apartment?"

"Well, yes?"

She sauntered closer to me. "Tell me, how did you get the chain back on the front door after you left?"

"Well, Hazel, I -".

"That was a night I'll never forget, Lew. Thank you." She paused to smile wider. She made an obvious glance at my crotch. "Matty said you have the longest white snake she's ever seen. I didn't believe her but now I have to agree. It's a monster." She paused, smiled again, and took another step closer to me. "You don't have to make up a story about your heat going out. Just come over anytime. Anytime you want."

"Hazel, I didn't. You came to me, you slept on my couch, and then laid in my bed. You replaced the door chain, didn't you?"

Hazel swung around and clasped her hands to her face and bent over. "I'm so sorry, Lew." She laughed and turned back around to look with her beet red face. "It must have been Matty's incubus. And you got a succubus." A naughty smile alit her face. "Imagine that. This place used to be a whorehouse."