The Maestro Ch. 01

Story Info
Matthew plays to Meredith's heart.
1.8k words
4.6
15.1k
2
0

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 10/29/2022
Created 11/12/2002
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Meredith stood in front of the theater, staring at the sign. The large letters proclaimed DR. MATTHEW SCOTT IN CONCERT, One Night Only. Below the words was a life-size picture of Dr. Scott, black and white, which made his handsome features look dramatic. His dark eyes seemed to look right into hers, and she was hesitant to look away. The time passed, she never even noticed how long she had been standing there.

She had arrived in Boston just last week. Her scholarship at the Conservatory had been granted late and she had to rush to tie up loose ends and get everything moved in time. She had always wanted to do her graduate work here, pinning her hopes on a full scholarship to help her get through. Now, she was here and the money had been enough, if she scrimped a little, to live comfortably. She had spent the week getting settled, moving into her cute little apartment, finding her way around, checking out public transportation, and trying to meet people. Hanging around campus had been pretty useful. She had found other aspiring musicians in the coffee house and they had been friendly and helpful. One girl, Serena, was particularly nice. She lived near Meredith and knew the neighborhood. One sunny day, Serena had taken her all over the area, introducing her to the merchants and neighbors, who all greeted her warmly. She seemed to know everything about the school and the professors.

Her favorite topic was Dr. Scott. Apparently, he was the romantic hero of the school. Married to his childhood sweetheart, he had been widowed a few years ago from a tragic car accident. Now, he was quiet, sad and withdrawn. He taught THE graduate classes, the ones everyone wanted to attend. Meredith considered herself very fortunate to have gotten two of his music composition classes, especially registering at the last minute. According to Serena, someone usually had to die to make a space in his class.

Now Meredith looked at his picture in front of the theater and felt a link with him. Something about his eyes mesmerized her, drew her to him. The concert was tonight, and she had gotten an SRO ticket, willing to stand to see the Maestro at play.

Tomorrow was the first day of classes and she was excited. Music was her life, and now she was actively pursuing the final step in making it her career. She looked at her watch and gasped. It was only hours from the concert and she had so much to do before she could enjoy it.

She hurried off, checking off her errands as she completed them. The most important of these was to fill out the application for student employment. While she could get by without a job, she could afford the luxuries, such as eating three meals a day, with a paycheck. So, her last stop of the day was at the Music Department, filling out forms for Teacher's Assistant positions. Finally, she was ready to dress and walk to the theater.

When she arrived, there was a mix up at the box office. The saleslady assured her that the ticket she handed her was really hers. Meredith looked at the ticket and entered the lobby, knowing someone would stop her and send her to the back of the theater. Instead, the usher took the stub and showed her to a wonderful seat. She was directly in front of the piano, only a few rows from the stage! Still, she felt someone would ask her to move, to return to her humble position, standing, far away.

It never happened. Meredith was allowed her perfect seat throughout the concert. She was able to watch Dr. Scott perform, his elegant fingers flying over the keys, his face so intense and full of emotion. She felt her heart pounding as he made the music come to life, beating within her body. It was a night to cherish. This was what made music so important to her, the incredible ability to touch her and move her. When he played his last selection, she didn't even notice the tears running down her cheeks as she listened to the story his gifted hands were telling.

She stood with everyone else to pay homage to his genius. He bowed repeatedly and tried to leave the stage, but calls of "Bravo" kept him there. Finally, he gave a final bow, seemingly directed right at Meredith, and strode gracefully into the wings. Meredith sat again, reliving the music and the night, as the patrons filed past her, in a hurry to get to the parking lot and home. When she focused again, the theater was nearly dark, only a few stage crew milling around. She stood, hating to leave.

As she reluctantly walked to the exit, music filled her ears. She turned and saw that Dr. Scott had returned to the stage. He was dressed in jeans and a sweat shirt, looking more like a student than a virtuoso. He was seated at the piano, his fingers caressing the keys, a beautiful melody pouring from the instrument. Meredith stopped in the shadows, leaning against the wall and closing her eyes, breathing in the sound. When she looked at the professor, she saw that he was crying, his fingers moving effortlessly. The song was one she didn't recognize, but the notes were sad and touching. When he stopped, she wondered if she should applaud or just leave quietly. While she considered, Dr. Scott turned to the darkened area and spoke to her. "Did you like it? You are the first person to hear my composition. It is called 'Ariel', named for my late wife."

Meredith wasn't sure what to say. It had been unbelievably beautiful, haunting and sad, yet with an underlying feeling of joy. She stepped into the light and faced him and told him what she thought. He smiled at her, his eyes lighting. "I am pleased that you understood. Are you a music student?"

Meredith took another step closer and introduced herself. She explained that she had come to the Conservatory for graduate studies and would be in two of his composition classes. Then she stopped abruptly, sure he didn't care to know all this. He nodded, approvingly. "Then I will see you tomorrow, Miss Meredith Brooks. I look forward to it."

He had dismissed her. She smiled and walked out of the theater, strolling home, holding the evening in her heart.

She was up very early, finally giving up on sleep. The first day of school was always the same for her. From kindergarten to now, there was a special excitement synonomous with fall and school. She had her new satchel, filled with recently purchased supplies, fresh black pens, pristine notebooks, notecards, music paper and snacks. She dressed in her special "first day" new clothes and her new loafers. She left her apartment in the still dark morning, walking to the campus and the music building. She wandered around there, inhaling the special scent of instruments and rosin.

She spent some time locating the practice rooms, the large orchestra rooms and various offices. When she came to Dr. Scott's office, she paused. Just looking at his door made her heart beat harder.

She sat on the bench across from his entrance, and opened her bookbag. She pulled out a notebook and a pen and began a letter to her best friend, Annabelle, back home in Oregon. She wrote of her new apartment, the neighborhood, the school. She described the concert, knowing that Annabelle, a trial lawyer, would never understand the effect of the music. But that was what made them such good friends, the differences they shared, the new things they taught each other. She described Dr. Scott, adding the story she had heard about his wife. Suddenly, she looked up to find the hall full of students, rushing to class. She put away her notebook and anxiously walked to her first class of Music Theory.

The day passed quickly. Her new friend, Serena, was in three of her classes and they sat together, chatting happily before class. She liked all her professors. The class with Dr. Scott seemed to fly by, he was so interesting and such a good teacher. During her last class, a note was delivered to her, informing her she had been selected to TA two labs during the week. So that took care of her money worries. Now she could afford to eat and to concentrate on her music and compositions.

She would help with labs on Tuesday-Thursday, and take a second class from Dr. Scott in between. Her schedule was perfect. The day was good and Meredith walked home, happy to be involved in classes again, and ready for the new school year to begin.

She was so busy reliving her day, she almost didn't notice the pain. But suddenly, she cried out and stopped. Her new school shoes had rubbed a blister on her left heel, making it very painful. She gratefully sat on the bench nearby and contemplated her options. She had just decided to remove the shoes and walk home in her socks, when a car pulled up and the window rolled down. Dr. Scott was smiling at her, calling her name. "Miss Meredith Brooks, are you all right?"

"I have a 'first day of school blister' from my new shoes! So, I am hobbling home now, hoping I don't ruin my socks. It isn't much further. I'm sure I will be OK. Thanks for asking."

"Don't be silly. I can give you a ride. Hop in!" he said.

She heard the locks click and he leaned over, opening the door. She walked to the car, secretly happy not to have to walk any further. She slid into the car, enjoying the feel and smell of the smooth leather. She gave Dr. Scott directions and leaned her head back, closing her eyes for just a minute. When she opened them again, they were parked in front of her apartment building. She looked at Dr. Scott and found him busily working on a composition. She felt herself blushing, stammering an apology for falling asleep.

"I know I am not stellar company for young people, but I didn't even get the chance to bore you! You were asleep before I opened my mouth!" he chuckled.

Meredith tried to explain her lack of sleep the night before, the excitement of the first day of classes, but Matthew couldn't really concentrate on what she was saying. All he noticed was how lovely she looked, slightly flustered and blushing becomingly. Finally, she stopped chattering. He offered to walk her to her door, but she refused, protesting he had done too much for her already. She slipped from the car, carrying her bookbag and shoes, hoping she wouldn't trip or fall as she walked away. "Goodnight, Dr. Scott, thank you so much for the ride," she said as she started up the steps of her building.

He waited until she was safely inside and then drove slowly away. Something about her made him smile, made him feel happy. He wasn't sure what it was, but he was pleased he would have the time to find out.

To Be Continued...