The Masterson Saga Ch. 01

Story Info
Tale of a Young Widower Helping a Family Friend.
1.3k words
4.52
8.8k
3

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 01/03/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Thane63
Thane63
140 Followers

Genesis

Chapter 1

Kyle Masterson drove up the farm road right on schedule. Which, for him, meant he was fifteen minutes early. Though the truck was a new Silverado HD, Kyle appreciated the way it handled. Even with the extended cab and extended bed, the truck was comfortable.

Looking around her truck, Emily Williams groaned as she saw the new truck. Though Doc Margie had sent this man to help her, there was no way she could afford enough to pay for his new truck.

"Shit!" Amber said as she stepped around the hood and saw what her mother was looking at. "I thought Doc Margie said this guy could help us."

Kyle parked in the spot next to the old Ford pickup and got out.

"You're Kyle, then?" Emily said as much as she asked. "Doc Margie said you'd be by. I can't use you. I can't afford to pay for your fancy truck when mine is broken down."

"The truck is paid for," Kyle shrugged. "Any other problems?"

"What do you know about working a farm?" Emily asked, surprised.

"Nothing," Kyle replied easily. "Ive tended horses a time or two. But, I don't know anything of farm work. Margie just said you needed a man to help out and to do some hunting."

Emily stared for a long time, looking Kyle up and down. His six foot eight inch frame was nicely muscled. His clothes, while new, looked durable. Looking down, however, she noticed that he was wearing combat boots rather than cowboy boots.

"Why the combat boots?" Emily asked.

"More comfortable," Kyle shrugged. "So, do you want me here or not?"

"You're not one for beating around the bush, are you?" Emily asked with a smile.

"No," Kyle shrugged again, waiting.

"As you can see," Emily began, waving a hand at her truck. "We already have enough trouble this morning. I think I cracked a block. I haven't been able to feed the cows yet."

"We can take my truck," Kyle nodded. "You can show me what to do and point out what I need to know. If you don't like my work ethic, you can send me packing."

"Fair enough," Emily nodded. "Pleased to meet you."

Kyle took the proffered hand and shook it. Though barely over five feet and slender, Emily had a firm grip and looked him in the eyes when she shook his hand.

For her part, Emily was amazed that Kyle seemed to grasp her hand firmly without the crushing that most large men had trouble with.

"Hello, Kyle," said Amber, holding out her hand. "I'm Amber. My sister is in the house. You can meet her in a bit."

"Amber," Kyle acknowledged. "Pleased to meet you."

"Let's get on with the work then," Emily said with a smile. "Them cows won't feed themselves."

"You drive," Kyle said. "I hate driving when I'm a tourist.

"You," Kyle continued as he looked down at Amber. "Can show me where your mom stores the feed so that I can open the door for her."

Laughing, Amber took Kyle's hand and dragged him towards the barn.

Seeing Kyle pull down the bales of alfalfa and toss around the hundred pound sacks of pellets, Emily had to admit that he was strong enough to do the things she needed.

True to his word, Kyle got into the passenger seat and let Emily drive.

"What's with the keyboard?" Emily asked.

"Onboard systems," Kyle shrugged. "If I'm to stay, I'll show it to you. That way, you can adjust the seat to your own preference any time you're driving."

"What?"

"It allows up to three drivers," Kyle admitted. "I am number one. If you're driving it before me, I can get it, type in my code and everything will adjust to me. If you get in after me, I will show you the code to be number two. Punch that in and the truck will adjust to you.

"It has remote start," Kyle continued. "Remote function input and all the things I thought I might need to work on a farm."

"Why do you think I'd need that?" Emily asked, surprised.

"If I'm out working," Kyle smiled. "You're the one who would be out running the necessary errands. With your truck currently disabled, you're going to need something."

"You don't like driving," Emily accused as the epiphany hit her.

"Not much," Kyle agreed. "My wife said I treated it as a necessary evil. I haven't been able to discount that statement yet.

"On the other hand," Kyle continued. "I wouldn't mind a UTV for some of the work we're going to be doing around here. Can you drive with a trailer? I know I can't."

"Why do you need a UTV?" Emily asked with a scowl. "You know I can't afford one."

"If I am out working, or hunting," Kyle said with a shrug. "You'll be the one with the truck to take care of the errands, or with getting your kids to school.

"I'll pay for the UTV," Kyle continued. "Trust me, it will pay for itself in the long run."

"All right," Emily said as she pointed out one of her herds and Kyle got out and portioned out the alfalfa and dumped a bag of pellets in as directed.

"How much trouble are you in?" Kyle asked gently as he and Emily got back into the truck. "Financially, I mean."

"We're in pretty bad shape," Emily admitted. "I had to sell some of my cattle and all my horses just to get through this year. They were just quarterhorses. But, I love to ride and so do the girls. My man had an insurance policy, but, I've been using that to make ends meet. Raising two girls and working the farm alone was just too much."

"That just won't do," Kyle replied softly, pulling out his phone. "Did you sell off the tack as well?"

"Yes," Emily replied, confused.

Kyle pushed a number and waited until the phone was answered.

"Hi, Kaylee," Kyle said. "It's nice to hear you too. You know that those horses were my wife's. I'll trade them to you for four quarterhorses, a stud and three mares. I'll also need the tack, saddles, and such.

"Deal," Kyle smiled. "I'll see you Tuesday."

"What?"

"My wife had some Arabian thoroughbreds," Kyle shrugged. "She liked riding as well. We kept the horses at her friend's stable. She's going to bring in some horses for us on Tuesday."

"Kyle," Emily began.

"I can use the animals to mask my scent," Kyle explained. "That's a decision about hunting, not just a gift. If it helps you and the girls as well, then, it's just a bonus."

"You're fairly stubborn, aren't you?" Emily asked as she pulled up to the next herd and received a fierce grin in reply.

Feeding this herd, Kyle looked around again as Emily honked the horn and the cattle came over to feed. Doing some quick math in his head, he typed his answers into his phone before getting back in the truck.

"Forty two in the first herd," Kyle said as he looked to Emily. "Thirty six in this one."

"Yes," Emily smiled. "Not bad."

By her tone, Kyle knew that he had just passed a test. However, he pulled out his phone again and googled some information as Emily drove to the next herd.

"Forty in this one," Kyle said as he emptied the last of the alfalfa and pellets into the trough. "Where is the water piped in from?"

"The BLM land just northwest of here," Emily's smile grew. "Gravity fed so we don't have to pay for pumps. We pay them an annual fee."

Kyle nodded and went back to looking up information on his phone before Emily made it back to the farm.

"Come on in," Emily said as she pulled up in front of the house. "The girls will want to talk with you as well."

Thane63
Thane63
140 Followers