The Midnight Maiden Ch. 03

Story Info
Chapter 3: Dinner with the Earl.
2.2k words
4.61
11.4k
3
0

Part 4 of the 14 part series

Updated 10/29/2022
Created 12/16/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Ahlissan Chronicles

~ Book 1 ~

The Midnight Maiden

Chapter 3: Dinner with the Earl

The following day found Lord Brion and his father seated around a large table with the other leaders of the treaty nations discussing troop commitments when a young squire delivered a message to Lord Barnard. After the boy had whispered the message and left Barnard leaned over to his son, who had a quizzical look on his face.

"It seems we have been invited to dinner with the Earl of Walworth" the king told his son.

'Well this should be interesting' thought Lord Brion as he sat back in his chair.

* * *

Later that afternoon Lord Brion and his father returned to their chambers and began to ready themselves. Dinners at events like this were always complicated affairs, who sat near who and in what order. The talk around the tables was often just as important as what went on in the various meetings, diplomats, nobles and kings all competing for what they thought might be the advantage. Brion had never met the Earl of Walworth but surely thought him mad to be willing to host the treaty talks in his own fortress. Then he thought of Eryca, surely she would be present as his granddaughter; it befitted her station that she attends dinners like this. As Brion looked in the mirror he looked forward to seeing her there, he was dressed simply in the customary fashion of his homeland. Brion wore a loose black linen shirt with silver embroidery, black pants and black leather calf boots. A sash of crimson embroidered with golden thread adorned his waist which marked him as an Ahlissan Lancer, over that was belted a rapier.

It was a custom for noblemen of the southern lands to carry dueling swords as they settled disputes of honor with a duel. Anymore these duels rarely ended in death though, with the first to be marked three times being the loser. However, the loss of honor was no less significant. Brion thought he looked good if not understated. Astinos often lectured Brion about his plainness of dress, as a Lord of Ahlissa, Brion had won and been bestowed with many honors, however, he preferred not to adorn himself with them constantly. His Lancers' sash had been his first and most coveted other than that he preferred to let his prowess in battle be what his enemies feared not the medals about his neck.

Brion stepped out into the common room ready to wait for his father when the servant admitted Astinos. Paragon Astinos was the Ahlissan high priest of the Archpaladin Heironeous and one of the heads of the Order of the Argent Griffon. He had fought side by side with Lord Barnard during the War of Northern Tyranny and helped Lord Barnard found the knightly order. The rotund priest was dressed in rich robes of blue velvet trimmed in silver satin the colors of Heironeous, around his neck hung a bright copper medallion engraved with the symbol of Heironeous, a fist grasping a lightning bolt. The older man walked over to Brion his velvety robes whispering about his ankles.

"Lord Brion, how does this evening find you?"

"It finds me well, Paragon and you?"

"Me? Ah, indeed I too am feeling well."

The two men laughed and clasped each other in a warm embrace. It was a hearty hug, the kind that is shared between student and teacher and men who have seen battle together. Indeed it was Astinos who had schooled Lord Brion in the tenets of Heironeous, often lecturing the young boy on the importance of duty and honor.

"I see your hair is still retreating from the top of your scalp my old teacher." Brion said as he teased the older man. Astinos laughed his eyes bright.

"This is the cost of teaching one such as you my stubborn student, always questioning me." The older man retorted in mock exasperation.

After the two old friends had laughed and needled each other Brion's tone turned serious. He had never told anyone about his quest since it was meant to be a solitary mission of service which forced the prospective knight to look inward and examine themselves. However, given recent events he was considering confiding in his old teacher. The older robed man noticed the change in his old pupil's countenance.

"What is it my young friend, that has changed your mood so suddenly?"

Just then the door to the kings' room opened and Lord Barnard stepped into the room. Lord Barnard looked every bit the King of Ahlissa resplendent in clothes of fine black and red material. His waist was also encircled by a Lancers' sash, as well as, other medals and honors around his neck.

"Let us talk of it later Paragon."

"I heard you two while I finished dressing, are the two of you at it again?" Barnard asked his son and his closest friend.

"Not at all father we were just having some good natured fun!" Brion laughed as he patted Astinos on the back.

"Well alright then, let us not keep the Earl waiting. Shall we?" said the Ahlissan king in his booming voice.

* * *

The three men followed a young page of the castle as he led them to the dinner room they would be sitting in this evening. As they entered the room they saw that the round table had already been set with the finest of everything. William Moffitt the Earl of Walworth and his small entourage of dignitaries were already waiting on them. The page showed the men to their seats and introductions were made. The Earl introduced himself and the various members of his retinue, and then Lord Barnard introduced those with him. Disappointedly Lord Brion looked across the circular table and noticed the empty seat to the Earls' right hand, she was not there. Barnard noticed the empty seat as well.

"I see that we are waiting on one more Knight Commander."

"Please call me William your Majesty, to battle hardened warriors such as we titles are a burden are they not? Yes, we await my granddaughter I'm afraid. She had a pressing matter to attend to and will be here shortly."

The men all sat and began to talk as waiters with pitchers started filling wine glasses all around the table. Lord Barnard leaned to Brion and expressed that he liked the Earl and Brion agreed. Recognizing that they were all warriors and not comfortable with the pomp of titles had been a great way to put them all at ease and find common ground. Lord Brion was impressed and could see that William was much like he and his father. As the men were talking a server by the door bade everyone to excuse him and he announced that the Lady had arrived. All around the table all came to their feet and Brion looked on with breathless anticipation.

The red-headed young maiden seemed to glide into the room; she was dressed in a flowing green gown. The bodice was made of jade velvet while the skirts and sleeves were a lighter shade of the same. She wore golden slippers and her red curls were adorned with a light headdress of woven golden threads. Brion could hear the collective gasp from the other men as he gazed at her, once again felt that tremor deep within him. Eryca went straight to her grandfathers' side and hugged him.

"I apologize for my lateness Grandfather but it could not helped." she said as she kissed him on the cheek.

"I think we can all forgive you my dear. You look lovely tonight." He replied to her in a low voice. Then to the others gathered about the table "Gentleman may I introduce you to my granddaughter Lady Eryca Tandris of Walworth."

"Good evening gentlemen." She said to the various 'My Lady' that were murmured as she lowered her head to the men at the table. Lady Eryca then took her seat at Williams' right hand. After she was seated she looked around the table at the dignitaries and let her gaze linger on Lord Brion. Brion returned her gaze and smiled at her, he was pleased when she returned his smile.

None of this was lost on Lord Barnard; he of course had recognized Eryca from his son's description of her. He had watched Brion as she had entered the room had had seen his reaction and just now Barnard had witnessed their secret exchange. He leaned over to Brion and whispered into his ear.

"Is that her son?"

Brion nodded his ascent, words not being something that he could not form just then. Lord Barnard smiled and whispered into Brion's ear again as he heartily patted his sons' shoulder.

"Love my boy, love."

As servers brought out the evening meal the talked turned to politics and the men discussed the events that had caused the need for such a treaty to be needed. Brion who was familiar with this form of battle always enjoyed watching his father work what he called his magic. When he was not participating in the conversation he was looking at Lady Eryca. She occasionally glanced and smiled his way as she talked and laughed. He could tell that she had been well schooled in politics and diplomacy; Eryca took an active part in the talk where most noblewomen would have been bored with such conversation and would have excused themselves saying they were tired or ill. Brion watched and listened as she talked seriously with the other dignitaries, deflecting the more flirtatious banter.

* * *

After dinner was over the servers brought large wooden plates and bowls of foreign cheeses and exotic berries and grapes. They replaced the fine stemmed crystal wine glasses with heavy glass mugs and filled them with medium dark ale that tasted strongly of honey and hops. Brion watched with surprise as Eryca allowed a servant to give her a mug as well, although the brew they poured for her seemed lighter in color than his own. Again he noted that most other noblewomen would have opted for more wine. Intrigued by this by this he spoke directly to her.

"I see that you partake of ale my Lady, may I ask why?" Brion said with a wide smile. He watched as Eryca's' eyes sparkled when she smiled back.

"I may not be a warrior, my Lord but I was raised by one" she glanced lovingly at her grandfather "and he felt that it was important for me to be familiar with warriors and their ways. Well that and it does taste good." She said as she popped a bright purple grape into her mouth.

"How about you, do you find the ale pleasing Lord Brion or do you hunger for other delights?" With that Eryca flashed him an impish smile. Brion knew full well what she had been referring to and laughed his trademark boisterous laugh.

"Well" he said looking at her "I find that the garden of life hosts many delights my Lady some of which I have not yet tasted but greatly desire to." With that he lifted his ale to his lips and watched her reaction over the rim of his large mug. Eryca smiled demurely and picked up a slice of cheese and brought to her lips, as she took a bite she looked up as if considering something.

"Desire can be very powerful my Lord and if left unchecked it can run rampant. Many are the tales of great men who have been brought low by their desires for wealth, power or magik. So to me there is really only one question my Lord." At this he watched as her eyes changed from a light bright green to a deep shade of forest green.

"What is it that you desire?"

Her gaze momentarily unnerved him with its intensity. Of course he knew full well her meaning but the strength of her words and gaze were unmistakable. Before he could answer her a server threw a log onto the fire and the noise of the room grew quiet in the sharp crackle of the fire, at this Lady Eryca rose from her seat.

"If you gentleman will excuse me for the night, sadly I have other matters that I must attend to."

The gathered noblemen stood as she left the room, their eyes on her as she glided out as quietly as she entered. As they resumed their seats someone banged their mug on the table.

"Stories!" they shouted, "Let us hear tales of valor!"

The gathered men then began to loudly tell their stories comparing who was more brave or stronger or had defeated the most fearsome monster. Brion leaned over to his father.

"Father it would seem that the headiness of the ale has made my head swim. I think I shall retire for the evening. Good night." Brion then turned to William "Good night your Honorable Grace, I thank for you a most pleasing meal."

William nodded in agreement "Yes it was!" he laughed loudly.

"Good night my son, sleep well." Barnard said over his shoulder as Brion pushed in his chair and began to leave the room. When Brion had left the room Barnard looked at Astinos and William and then all three men laughed their loudest and began to drink in earnest.