The Midnight Maiden Ch. 08

Story Info
A Matter of Honor
3.5k words
4.72
8.3k
3

Part 9 of the 14 part series

Updated 10/29/2022
Created 12/16/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Ahlissan Chronicles

~ Book I ~

The Midnight Maiden

Chapter 8: A Matter of Honor

Lord Brion and Lady Eryca continued to meet several nights a week over the next few weeks. Sometimes they would meet in the garden and Eryca would dance for him or they met for dinner on the private balcony. The second time they had dinner on the balcony Brion inquired about the runes on the door. They were in fact spells to prevent eavesdropping and unauthorized entry. He had also confirmed his thoughts that Lady Eryca and Miss Karolyn were very close, Karolyn had been with Eryca since her parents and died and the two were close friends.

* * *

To the residents of the private wing of Williams' fortress seeing his granddaughter with her new suitor in the evening hours was becoming commonplace. As was usual in that sort of household chambermaids and other servants were prone to gossiping, however, Miss Karolyn firmly reprimanded any servant who spoke ill of her mistress. Karolyn, who was always protective of Lady Eryca, even liked the young man herself and was happy for her mistress. Likewise Eryca had joined Brion, Lord Barnard and Paragon Astinos in their suite for private dinners, Lord Barnard liked the young Eryca instantly and was very pleased with her.

The young couple did not, however, announce their pairing to the assembled dignitaries. They preferred to keep their blossoming relationship private and not add to the ongoing drama of the treaty talks. They attended all of the political events separately with their respective parties and then would meet each other later in the evening. This secrecy, however, did not mean that Lord Brion was not watchful and attentive to his Lady during such events.

* * *

It was the month of Harvester and the Earl was hosting a party to celebrate a holiday unique to the Shield Lands. It was held on a Freeday when all of the Shield Lands would be celebrating; the gathered delegates to the treaty talks were invited to attend to take a break from their important work. The Earl's household provided many traditional dishes for tasting and the wine and honey ale flowed freely, too freely for some.

They were all gathered in the Grand Dining Room, a great hall with a high arched ceiling that could fit all of the diplomats during an evening meal. The normal round tables had been removed and replaced by long tables placed at the rooms' edges where servants provided food and drink. At one end was a group of troubadours who played happy music for the mingling guests to dance to. Brion and Eryca were not together during this gathering; instead she was the perfect hostess walking among the guests ensuring that everyone was well taken care of. Brion stood with his father and Astinos engaged in a discussion with Ambassador Valdo Tisza from the Prelacy of Almor, although he did watch Eryca as she walked around the room and they often exchanged knowing glances.

Suddenly near the area where some of the delegates were dancing there was a large commotion. Brion heard the noise and instantly turned to look, he saw an older man from the County of Urnst judging by his official attire standing back up after apparently being knocked to the floor. Next to him was Eryca looking flustered as if recovering from a shock. As the drunken man staggered to his feet several curses directed at her left his mouth and he drew his arm back as if to strike out at her. Before he could draw his next breath Lord Brion was across the room and had shoved the large slovenly man against the nearby wall holding a dagger to his fleshy throat. The heavyset diplomat reacted angrily to having the blade pressed against his skin.

"What is the meaning of this?" He shouted angrily his boozy breath causing Lord Brion's nose to wrinkle in disgust, Brion answered him equally angry.

"What were you about to do good sir? How is it that you came to be sprawled on the floor like the town drunkard? And what were your intentions with your arm drawn back as such?" Brion shoved the man even harder into the wall demanding an answer to his questions first. Brion could hear Eryca sobbing behind him and could hear Karolyn talking to her mistress. "Speak you drunken wretch lest I gut you like the swine that you are!"

The man's bloodshot eyes glared. "I asked the little tease for a dance and she rebuffed me so I asked again more firmly..." His voice trailed off. By now Eryca had regained her composure from the initial shock.

"By firmly, do mean trying to touch and grab at me as if I were some piece of meat?" She said loudly and firmly, this drew several disgusted gasps from nearby partygoers.

"I did no such thing wench! Did anyone see me commit such a lewd act? I dare you to accuse me again!" This caused Brion to push his blade even harder to the man's bloated throat causing a nick from which a trickle of blood ensued.

"Another insult to the Lady and I will cut out your tongue!" Brion could see his father to his left out of the corner of his eye and the Earl was to his right, William spoke.

"Please, Lord Brion, release Lord Yarol. Allow me to settle this without bloodshed." Brion released the large man and backed away from him, sheathing his dagger. "Now speak your Lordship, tell me what happened here." Lord Zogrev Yarol again related the events as he saw them; he claimed that upon asking Lady Eryca a second time for a dance she had shoved him knocking him to the floor. Eryca of course said that she did shove him because he had groped at her in a most ungentlemanly fashion which of course Yarol steadfastly denied.

"I demand justice for this insult to my honor!" Shouted Yarol, Lord Brion replied menacingly his teeth clenched.

"You want justice? I shall give you justice you bastard. Meet me on the field and I will give you all the justice that you can stomach!" Brion glared at Zogrev as if daring him to dishonor himself by refusing the challenge.

"You insolent whelp, I accept your challenge! Not only will I receive justice but I intend to teach you some manners in the process!" Yarol's comment caused Brion to lunge forward in anger only to be restrained by Lord Barnard and Ambassador Tisza, the Knight Commander then announced in a booming voice.

"It is agreed upon then! Two days hence these two shall meet on the field at dawn to settle their dispute, for it is known that a warrior who is false cannot prevail over one who is true!"

* * *

After the Earls' decree the partygoers began to disperse and return to their rooms, the celebratory mood was lost and could not be recovered. Once the last of the attendees had left Brion and his father followed William and Eryca to the Earl's study. After seating himself behind his desk, William spoke first.

"Brion I want to thank you for defending my granddaughter like that, I see that you are true to your word."

"It is the least that I can do your Honorable Grace. I have no doubt that he is in the wrong and he hopes that his false bravado will save him from embarrassment." Lord Barnard who had been listening turned to William.

"William, my friend, you seem to know this Lord Yarol, is he a dangerous opponent?"
The Earl of Walworth furrowed his brow in thought "Zogrev is no sniveling coward to be sure but he is no hero of legend either. I think it shall be a fair match in my eyes."

Eryca who had been sitting in a chair before the fire had been quiet until now; she turned in her seat to look at Brion.

"Do you really intend to go through with this my Lord? Do you intend to do battle with this man on my behalf?" The tears from her eyes glinted in the firelight, her face a mask of concern. Brion walked over to her and kneeled next to her chair. He placed his warm hands over hers which were folded in her lap.

"My Lady" he said "I fully intend to defend your honor. I will meet this dreg on the field and the truthful warrior will prevail. The Arch-Paladin will guide my hand and I will have your affections to keep me steady. I am an Ahlissan Lancer my Lady; I fear neither man nor beast in battle."

Eryca threw her arms around Brion's neck and sobbed quietly in to his chest while Brion wrapped his arms about her and held her close.

* * *

It was still dark outside when Lord Brion left his room and made his way out to the tent that had been erected for his use before the tournament. As he neared the tent his saw a stooped middle aged man emerge from the tent flaps.

"Good morning my Lord," said the stooped man "that is one accursed beast that you have there."

Brion looked at the stable hand that smelled strongly of animals. "Armageddon is strong willed but even-tempered to be sure." he said.

"Armageddon, the end of all things, a right and proper name for a beast such as that!" muttered the stable hand as he walked away. Brion watched the man walk away and shook his head in wonder before he entered the tent.

The tent was made of heavy canvas dyed a dark blue, it was of medium size and probably had served as an officer's field tent in times of war. As Brion entered the tent and looked around he saw that his armor and weapons had been brought to the tent by a page. He checked to make sure everything was complete before he finished looking around. He had been supplied with two simple chairs and a table upon which was placed a light morning meal. On the left side of the tent stood his closest friend and companion, Brion picked an apple from his own plate and took it to his friend.

"Good morning Armageddon" he said, feeding the enormous black destrier the apple "it would seem that you have made yet another friend." Brion smiled at his own joke about the stable hand and the horse shook his massively wide head as if in agreement. Looking over his shoulder Brion saw that his mount's barding, the armor that Armageddon wore had been brought in and placed in the tent corner.

"Well old friend let's get you ready for today shall we?" Brion said as he began his work. First he brushed the ebony horse and checked his spiked shoes to make sure they were secure. Then he threw the saddle blanket over the animal and over that the saddle. The saddle was a padded leather seat with a black steel front and back panel that helped to protect the rider while seated. Behind the saddle went the crupper, a multi-layered blanket that consisted of a layer of leather, chainmail and then black cloth trimmed in crimson. This part served to protect the horse's hindquarters and was cut to drape over Armageddon and yet not hinder his movement. Around Armageddon's chest Brion strapped the peytrel, a chest guard made of leather and black steel plates hung to protect the horse's front from attack. Just as Brion had finished strapping on Armageddon's crinet, the jointed black steel cover that protected his neck, the tent flaps parted.

"Good morning Brion, I see that you are early as ever preparing Armageddon." Lord Barnard walked over and patted the destrier. "You need to select a squire when we return home."

"You know I like to do it myself Father. Besides I don't think I'm ready to start training a squire just yet." Brion said with a grin, Lord Barnard returned his son's smile.

"Come here" Barnard said as he pulled his son into a warm embrace "I love you son and I'm proud of you for defending Lady Eryca the way you did. I saw what happened with Lord Yarol and you will emerge victorious." They separated and Barnard placed his hand on the back of Brion's neck looking into his eyes. "She is a wonderful girl and a wise choice. I am very happy for you both." Barnard said before releasing Brion. "Also remember don't lower your lance too soon and keep it tucked in tight." He bent his right arm and held it tightly to his side, imitating the correct motion.

"I love you to Father and I will, thank you for your confidence." As Brion watched his father leave the tent he heard Lord Barnard say a muffled 'My Lady' then turned to watch as Barnard held the tent flap open for Lady Eryca. She seemed to float into the tent, dressed in a gown of ebony velvet lined with crimson, silver embroidery decorated the neckline; over her head and shoulders she wore a thin hooded black cloak, a sliver clasp held it at her throat.

"Good morning my Lady" he said bowing to her "I trust you slept well last night?"

"Good morning to you Lord Brion" she said looking around the tent and lowering her hood "as well as can be expected I suppose. I came to your room to see you this morn but your father said you had already left; he escorted me here. Are you feeling rested and ready?" she asked with obvious concern in her voice.

"I am fine my Lady really. I have jousted and fought many times, trust me in this."

She walked to him and he pulled her into a tight embrace, he could feel that she was cold her thin cloak was not quite enough to keep out the early morning chill.

"I know you have Brion but it is not pleasant knowing that you will be in danger because of me."

"It is not because of you Eryca, it is because of him. My father saw the whole thing, we are in the right and we shall emerge victorious." He kissed her forehead "Now come, there is someone I would like you to meet." He led her over to where Armageddon stood waiting patiently for his rider. "Lady Eryca this is my closest friend, Armageddon." Brion turned to the horse and patted his neck "'Geddon I'd like you to meet Lady Eryca Tandris of Walworth."

The huge black destrier turned his neck to sniff at Eryca, when he had taken in her scent he whinnied, shook his head and pawed at the ground.

"It would seem that he approves of you," Brion laughed "and he doesn't like very many people."

"Thank you 'Geddon" Eryca said as she stroked the destrier's muscled neck "I like you to."

Brion smiled and gathered up the shaffron, the last piece of Armageddon's barding. The horse's faceplate was made of black steel like the rest of his armor and had a large spike protruding from between the eye holes. After Brion had secured it to the horse's head he attached and set the reins. He listened as Eryca as stroked the horse and whispered to Armageddon in the strange language of the elves.

She turned to look at Brion "He is anxious" she said.

"I know how he feels" Brion said seriously "but he is done and I must attend to my own harness."

"Would you like me to help you?" Eryca asked "I have helped my Grandfather into his armor many times."

"If you wouldn't mind Eryca" Brion laughed "since I find myself without a squire."

"It is the least I can do."

Eryca carefully laid out Brion's plate armor it was all black steel and edged in silver, the helm had two large horns and the visor looked almost skull like. It was the most frightening armor she had ever seen. Brion pulled on his thick leather breeches and then the thick leather jerkin over his chest. He sat down and began to strap on the various pieces of leg armor with Eryca helping him to pull the straps tight. When his legs were complete he stood and pulled then chainmail hauberk on over his head and Eryca laced the back closed for him. Brion lifted and held the breastplate in place while Eryca strapped it to the back plate. Brion strapped on his vambraces and picked up his pauldrons, these were crafted so as to have a face in them; Eryca saw that the eyes glowed red.

"Whose face is this?" She asked, guessing at the answer.

"Heironeous, the Arch-Paladin" said Brion with a grin "he watches my back."

They both smiled at the reference as they finished clasping Brion's black, crimson lined cloak to his shoulders. Then they strapped Brion's scabbard and battle sword to his left hip, they sat leaving his gauntlets and helmet on the table. Eryca had seen many tournaments in her time and she described some of the more memorable moments to cover her nervousness. As Brion listened he ate some of what was provided sharing with Eryca as she talked. When she had finished a silent tension descended on the two of them and Lord Brion spoke to break the uneasy silence.

"I couldn't help but notice the colors of the gown that you have chosen today Eryca." As he spoke to her he tucked a loose strand of her scarlet mane hind her ear. "Ebony and crimson are my colors and they suit you." She smiled weakly at him.

"I don't wear it very often but Karolyn laid it out for me this morning." Eryca looked into Brion's deep blue eyes, "Perhaps it was not by mere chance that she chose it?"

Brion smiled.

"Perhaps not..."

By now the sun was on the field and the time had come, a squire had knocked on the tent flap and asked if Lord Brion would be ready in thirty minutes. He said that we would and sent the squire away. Brion stood and raised himself to his full height stretching his muscles, he reached down to take Eryca's hand and help her to her feet. She reached into her sleeve and pulled out a piece of gauzy embroidered lavender material. She then began to tie it around Brion's left bicep over his upper vambrace.

"This veil was given to me by my mother. She wore it on her wedding night as she danced for my father," Eryca did not look at Brion as she worked but he could see a touch of sadness in her eyes "and it was given to her by her mother, who wore it when she danced for my Grandfather. It is precious to me; please return it to me safely my Lord." Eryca looked up at Brion her concern for him was apparent in her eyes.

"I will return your favor my Lady, you have my word."

Eryca reached up and placed her small hands on rather side of his face and standing on her toes pulled Brion into a passionate kiss. Brion placed his arms around her and held her tightly to him; he cursed his armor that he could not feel her body against his. They reluctantly released one another and Brion watched as Eryca left the tent floating out over the grass. Steeling himself for the upcoming test of arms he pulled his helmet unto his head leaving the visor raised and then pulled on his gauntlets. He walked over to Armageddon placed his right foot into the stirrup and swung himself up into the saddle. Taking the short reins in his hands he set his jaw grimly and lowered his visor. Gently nicking the massive warhorse with his spurs Brion and Armageddon left the tent.

As Lord Brion exited the tent he saw a rack of lances to his right, a squire was there and he handed the Lord his shield and a three-quarters lance. The shield was Brion's battle shield and it featured a Silver griffon segreant on an ebony field. The morning was misty and Brion could barely see the stands to his left but he could make out the Knight Commander dressed in his own armor, who would regulate the bout. To William's right was Lady Eryca as beautiful as ever and to her right was Brion's father Lord Barnard. The rules had been agreed upon the night before three lance passes followed by a fight of three deadly strikes.

The tilt was located in a low area that was ringed by trees and the morning fog was dense enough that Brion could not even make out the far end of the tilt. 'Damn northern weather' he thought to himself. Trotting 'Geddon to the end of the fence that marked the tilt he waited for the Earl to drop his arm which would signal the beginning of the joust.