The Mist of Time Ch. 14

Story Info
A purchase of land spurs Daniel to investigate his family.
1.4k words
4.77
22.7k
6

Part 10 of the 15 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 01/18/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Kezza67
Kezza67
1,198 Followers

The visit to see Bella's father was interesting. First that he was in a wheelchair, second that he evinced a healthy dislike of all politicians and whilst physically tied to his house, his mind wasn't tied as his body. He knew almost everything that was going on. His interest was not just the locality; he was an avid follower of what was happening in the world outside of his constraints. His study would have satisfied any lecturer in Oxford, Cambridge or any other seat of learning. Around every wall of this large study were desktops fixed to the wall without legs which would have impeded his wheelchair. He had a very serious computer set-up with a thirty inch monitor. Then there were three thirty six inch televisions tuned to different news channels and a digital recorder. "Come in Daniel, make yourself at home." He pointed me towards a comfortable office chair. "You don't mind if I call you Daniel?"

"No problem." I told him.

"Call me Andy. Bella will be back with some coffee soon. It's good to meet you. I have heard tales about your family for years; it's good to meet one at last."

"I understand that some of my supposed forbears were rather colourful. However I am a descendant of one who didn't have Chandler blood."

"Yes. Bella mentioned that. She said your great grandfather was a Robert. I am not sure of where his connection came."

Bella came in with a tray. "Coffee!" She called.

"You have no need to shout, Annabel. It's my legs that don't work, not my ears."

"I am fully aware of that, Daddy. I shout not because you are deaf, but when you are involved with your hobby, you ignore me. I shout to make you listen."

"You are not a very dutiful daughter."

"And you are an aggravating daddy."

Andy turned to me with a despairing look. He didn't have to say anything. I however did. "You have that trouble too. My so-called secretary is of the same temperament as Bella. She shows no respect whatever."

"Tina is a very good secretary, Mr. Chandler." Bella scolded me. "And you know it. You would be lost without her." It was my turn to have the despairing look.

Bella poured the coffee and looked at me with the sugar basin in hand. She held up the spoon and raised her forefinger, mouthing 'one'? I nodded. Andy cleared his throat. "I was going to ask you if you would like to buy back some of the land we bought from your family, but I am not going to bother. You are a sensible bloke, Daniel, why use your capital for buying land when you can marry the daughter and get the land for nothing."

"Daddy!"

"Daughter! Ever since you met Daniel it's all I have heard from you. It's Daniel this and Daniel that. Give me a break, Bella."

Bella looked at me. "Please, Daniel do not believe him." She pleaded. "My father knows how to wind me up and does so frequently."

I was going to wind up Bella as well. "Don't ask me to help. You know how innocent I am. Your words, Bella."

"Grr...Men! I have a good idea to go down and see Emma and Gerry. Perhaps being a lesbian will be less exasperating."

Despite her words Bella brought the cups of coffee, first to her father and then to me. She pulled out a high stool and placed next to me and she sat down. "Did you sort out the problem with Huddingtons?" Andy enquired.

"Yes, but inconclusive."

"Oh?"

"It would appear that they had been hiding the true extent of the rented land. I believe that this has been going on for years. Our detailed enquiries must have worried them, particularly as our headed notepaper describes my operation as Property and Land Agent. I received a cheque and profuse apologies for a clerical mistake, and when I went there later they had, according to the solicitor next door, done a moonlight. He, of course put it in legal language but the deed is much the same whatever words you use."

"Ah Ha!" Andy chortled. "Always thought they were a bit dodgy. That's why I wouldn't use them. Do it all myself these days."

"Pardon me!" Bella interrupted. "You do it all, Daddy? That's a surprise."

Andy looked suitably penitent. "Well, Bella helps me."

"Huh!" Bella turned to me. "What are you going to do?"

"I have the perfect functionary to do all of that. Tina will love to get her claws into that. Why should I pay a percentage to someone to do that when I have someone who will do the job? "

Andy returned to the problem with Huddingtons. "How long had this been going on?"

"I couldn't really answer to that. I suspect quite a few years though. Brian Morestead was unaware of their scam and I am sure that Mrs. Tiverton didn't know."

"Mrs. Tiverton?"

"Yes. She owned the land for some eighteen years."

"How did you find that out? I thought it was held by a trust."

"I think that was the story that Huddingtons encouraged. Maude Tiverton lived in Harrogate and inherited the land from an uncle. She was the real victim of Huddington's manipulation. I suspect it was her remoteness that encouraged them to skim."

"How did you found out about that?" He asked.

"I didn't. Actually it was Tina. She is a devil once she gets her hooks in to a problem. She seems to know about places on the internet apart from the Land Registry, which has all this sort of information."

"Perhaps she should come up here and give me some tips." Andy remarked.

"I would think with all the equipment you have you don't need any tips."

He shook his head mournfully. "I have the chequebook for it but I am woefully bewildered by these electronics." His expression changed quickly. "One of the reasons for wanting to meet you, Daniel, apart from my daughter wanting to parade you for my inspection; I thought that you would take on the agency work yourself. Would you be prepared to take mine on as well? Within reason I am happy to pay a percentage for the work."

I needed to think about that. I suspected that Bella was handling that business for her father and didn't want to jump into the middle of a family squabble. Bella made my mind up for me. "If you could, Daniel I would be grateful. It would help with the tax man as well. He tends to look at the return with a jaundiced eye. Having documentation from a bona fide Property company would keep him quiet."

"Don't you have a tax accountant?"

"Used to, but he was rubbish."

"At some time I will introduce you to Chad Martin. He's excellent. Now as far as the rental land, do you really want me to take it on?"

Andy nodded vigorously. "You would be doing us a favour."

"In that case I will do it." I agreed.

"What's the going rate?" Enquired Andy. "Fifteen percent?"

"That's what Huddingtons charged, so fine." I answered.

Andy turned to Bella smiling. "I won the bet." Bella seemed a little miffed. "Bella and I had a bet, Daniel. She reckoned that you wouldn't charge, I thought you would. After all you are a businessman. You have to cover your costs."

Bella brightened. "Well in that case I have a good reason for turning up at your office often. For business purposes of course."

Over the next hour or so, we talked about other things. From that conversation I found out that Bella's mother died when she was eight and that Andy was Paraplegic, having been thrown by his horse. It happened when he put the animal to a hedge that the horse decided at the last moment was too high. As Andy put it, the horse stopped, he didn't.

I came away with the impression that my neighbours would become good friends; particularly it would seem that Bella had indeed decided that I would be good husband material. As I drove back to Bethnal Green I ruminated on that. I had decided to put down roots, hence the restoration of the Dower House. Did putting down roots also mean that I took a wife? There was also a family history to complete. Marrying Bella would tie a knot that started to unravel nearly a hundred years ago.

To be continued...

Kezza67
Kezza67
1,198 Followers