The Mist of Time Ch. 15-16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Kezza67
Kezza67
1,198 Followers

I came down to the office on Monday and walked into a problem. One of my rent collectors was waiting for me. "Good morning Hussein. How are you?"

"Not happy Mr. Chandler. The tenant in 67 South Road has not paid rent for two months. I have called many times but no one is there. I called yesterday hoping to see him and found another family in residence. They say they have paid rent to Mr. Singh. He has not contacted me with the rent unless he has paid you directly."

"Sit down Hussein, I'll check."

I went through our receipts and unsurprisingly there was no payment, nor any mention by Mr. Singh that he was sub-letting. I thought for a while and came to a decision. I opened the safe and selected my copy of the door key. I gave it to Hussein. "You know the drill, Hussein. If the lock has been changed then the tenants are attempting to cheat us. If that has happened let me know and I will get the police down to evict the tenants."

All landlords will have this problem from time to time. Usually it is resolved by a threat to evict. However if the tenant changes the lock they are denying the right of the house-owner (me in this case) entry into their own property, which is a criminal act, so the police have to be called. Hussein went off to sort the problem. He was very useful to me, as well as being tireless at collecting rents he also spoke quite a few languages of the sub-continent. When dealing with tenants who had little or no command of English, he was invaluable

Tina bounced in at ten o' clock, obviously having driven down that morning. She was in an ebullient mood which changed as I explained what Hussein had told me. "I'll go there now!"

"No you will not. You are employed as a secretary, a job at which you are particularly good. You are not the company bruiser. I know you enjoy that role, but as this is likely to become a police action I don't want accusations of harsh words or brutality." Sullenly she went out and I heard the rattle of the kettle as she took out her irritation on that innocent article.

She was in a better mood when she came back bearing mugs of coffee. "Aleksy told me you called in on Saturday and that you had a long conversation with Bella. What do you think?"

"I was very impressed. Aleksy reckons two weeks to completion."

"Yes, I know. The carpet people will be in later this week, also the kitchen will be fitted this week. All the furniture will be delivered next week, so when you go up in two weeks it will all be finished. I made an arrangement with Bella to go up on Friday and we will shop for linens."

"I suppose you will want the company card for that." I sighed.

"Yes please." Tina smiled sweetly.

"I have been thinking, Tina."

"Oh no, Boss. When you start thinking it all goes wrong." She cried.

"You are a very impertinent employee. Tanya. I was going to say that you and Aleksy should move into one of the suites until you can get something else."

"Ah! I was going to suggest that. But I think that it would be better in the long run to find a cottage or something nearby. Bella said that her dad had a cottage that would suit, but it needs the Aleksy touch before we could move in."

"It would appear that you are making all the arrangements. It's a good job that one of us has the money to pay for it all."

She stuck her tongue out at me "You are obsessed with money, Mr. Scrooge."

Two weeks later I went up to Chetford. I was astounded at the difference. Tina and Bella were hurrying around making last minute placements. If the house had an atmosphere before I had not detected it, I understood that which I could see and touch. Now, however I did detect an atmosphere. It exuded a sense of wakening after years of slumber; it was welcoming, preparing for a future and wiping out the past. Bella joined me as I walked around. "What do you think? Daniel."

"It's perfect. You and Tina have chosen well, it all fits in as if it was meant to be."

Bella had been holding her breath and almost subsided when at last she relaxed. "Thank God! I was so worried that you wouldn't like my choices."

"How could I dislike anything? After all you chose it. I had complete confidence in you."

Aleksy was hovering, almost dancing on his toes. I turned to him. "Aleksy, well done. Absolutely superb."

"Thank you, Boss. Men very happy too." He was referring to the bonus I had made to each and every one of the crew. "I go make last check round." He wandered off and I turned to Bella.

"Thank you for getting so involved in all this. I really appreciate your input. Now I suppose we should arrange the dinner we talked about. Any ideas?" My question was rhetorical as I was certain that Bella had already made some plans.

"Well, Mr. Chandler that does depend on when you move in, doesn't it?"

"That will be later next week. Tina has arranged with the removals people for Thursday. I don't have too much of personal stuff apart from clothes so I expect to move in next weekend."

"Good. If we send out invitations now your guests will have two weeks to make their arrangements. Who is being invited?"

"You, of course. Your father, Tina and Aleksy and my accountant, Chad and his wife Lily."

"That's it?" Bella seemed surprised. "You have some important neighbours, perhaps you should ask some of them."

"Perhaps later. This dinner is for my true friends, those who helped me get where I am and those who helped me in this project. I count my true friends on one hand; others will be business friends and those can vanish in puff of smoke."

Bella digested that and smiled. "I understand that. Daddy has quite a few friends like that. Oh! Daddy will have to have his helper with him. Jason may be uncomfortable sitting with us. I don't think Emma and Gerry will mind him having something to eat in the kitchen."

"Helper?"

Bella nodded. "Yes. He can get around Meadowlea quite easily as he had slopes and wide doorways put in. Outside or anywhere else he needs Jason."

"Right. It is two weeks today, if Emma and Gerry can fit us in."

"I am sure they will. They still want to be in for the ritual spanking." Bella's eyes twinkled.

"As I said if and when, that will be a private affair."

To be continued...

Kezza67
Kezza67
1,198 Followers
12