The Mist of Time Ch. 20-21

Story Info
A purchase of land spurs Daniel to investigate his family
7k words
4.75
21.8k
5

Part 14 of the 15 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 01/18/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Kezza67
Kezza67
1,191 Followers

CHAPTER 20

LADY ADELAIDE'S STORY

Many people wish that they could live their lives again; correcting the bad decisions, the chances to make good and to make amends for the evil of their actions. I often dwell upon the decision I made and find that my life would be exactly as it was; I would take the same path. I can forgive my reprobate of a husband for all his hateful actions. I am proud of my children, Danbury, Rose and Robert and weep for my daughter Alice who died at six months from the Croup. My father I view with admiration and love; his forbearance of my choice, which cut him to the quick and his support of me in spite of his inhibitions. Then of course there was Rupert, my darling, my lover, the husband in everything apart from the ceremony that would have made us partners in the sight of the Lord. I know the words that others will attach to me, Mistress, Doxy, Whore, Paramour, Courtesan, Inamorata, Moll, these words do no hurt as I knew that with or without the Church I was the wife of his heart, as he was the husband of my heart.

Our little town of Braintree was becoming quite the place. The railway came in eighteen forty-eight, before I was born and had put vigour into our sleepy little town. My father's drapery business became quite busy and with that we led a comfortable life. From the age of fourteen I was always working with my father in the shop my dear mother having succumbed to consumption when I was ten. My first job was to polish the counter. This was a solid slab of oak, sanded and stained dark brown. It measured three feet wide and ten feet long. Imbedded at the serving side were brass yards so my father could measure off the yardage the customer wanted without having to use a yardstick. I polished that counter, making sure that no beeswax remained which could spoil the fabrics as it slipped along the counter. The brass rules were also polished with a paste which had to be well rubbed to remove all traces of the unguent. With that done I would address the shelves behind the counter. The shelves were partitioned into sections that would just take the half-blocked rolls of fabrics. These needed to be dusted and polished. From time to time it was necessary to remove all the stock from the shelves to clean then thoroughly; it is amazing how much dust these fabrics could shed. I would work in the shop until eleven o' clock when I would repair to our living accommodation upstairs. I would tidy the bedrooms and dust and sweep after which I would prepare our midday meal.

I was of eighteen years in eighteen seventy-two and young gentlemen would come calling, as I was supposedly a handsome girl. My father would turn them away, telling me that none of them were fit to court me. "Farmers boys, clerks and counter staff are not fit for you, Adelaide." Indeed it seemed that in his judgement there was no young gentleman in Braintree that would suit. In my occasional bitter moments I could even believe that my father rejected suitors in order to keep me as his cook and housekeeper. I would scold myself later for such an unworthy thought. The event that upset our pleasant but unexciting world came when I was but one and twenty years.

Upton Lodge was a rather impressive house just a mile south of Braintree. We were all agog when news came that the Lodge, which had been uninhabited for a couple of years, had been sold. The rumours had the purchaser was a rich industrialist; another had the new owner as a merchant from London. The reality was even more exciting, the new inhabitant was an Earl, a Peer of the Realm. Braintree, our sleepy little town was now the seat of a Noble! However no one set eyes upon him for many weeks. This was not unsurprising, Peers do not mix with commoners, nor do they frequent traders' premises. My father was favoured though, when an imperious footman called one day. His purpose was to order my father to attend at Upton Lodge; the purpose to make and fit new drapes. The footman didn't wait to see if my father would accept the contract, he merely demanded that my father attended "immediately".

Father worried as he could not leave immediately. He told the footman that we would attend that afternoon. The sniff from the footman told us that he thought us ungrateful for the honour bestowed. My father was in a tizzy as he went about collecting swatches to take. The worry spoiled his midday meal to the extent that I took it back and covered the plate with another and placed it in the oven on a low gas, telling him that he could dine later when we had completed this work.

The walk calmed him and we arrived at Upton Lodge shortly after two o' clock. Being trade we made our way around the house and presented ourselves at the kitchen door. The same footman showed us the way and pointed out the rooms that needed new drapes. We were left in peace for a moment and I started to measure the windows. I had a yard stick for this purpose. My father said he would measure one of the other rooms. The room I was measuring appeared by the many books; more books than I had ever seen, to be the library. This window was quite tall and even on tip-toe and with my full stretch I could not reach up to the shelf that would support the swags. Looking around I noticed some library steps. I was thus able to take the measurement. To my fright as I descended the steps I trod on the hem of my skirt. Thus unbalanced I started to fall when two strong arms caught me and carried me away from the steps and then set me on my feet. My saviour smiled and asked if I was uninjured.

"No, Sir. Perhaps a little shocked but uninjured." The truth of the matter was that my heart was bumping along in my breast, not because of fright, but from the smile he gave me. He dressed very well, a dark gray drape coat over black trousers, a waistcoat of dark green and a cravat at the collar of his white shirt. To my mind the cravat was always more becoming than the tie that some men were now wearing.

"Good. Pray tell me who have I the pleasure of rescuing?"

I bobbed a curtsey. "Adelaide Smith, Sir."

He bowed his head. "Grantisbury. It is a pleasure to meet you."

The footman came in at that moment. He gave me a look of disdain. "I am sorry my Lord, I didn't realise that you were in here else I should not have allowed Mr. Smith and his helper to come in." I blanched. This was the Earl!

"Shelton, it is of no matter. I am sure that Mr. Smith and his daughter will take tea with me. Serve it in the drawing room." The footman retired giving me yet another black look as he did so.

"Do forgive me, My Lord, for addressing you incorrectly." I was distraught for not realising who he was.

"Well, Miss Smith, as we were in such a close embrace for a while I do believe that we could dispose of silly titles and with your permission I would like to call you Adelaide, which is a lovely name and perhaps you would call me Rupert. What do you say?"

"Surely, My Lord that would be inappropriate."

"Only if we were not to meet again. I would count my life most empty if we do not meet again."

"My Lord...Rupert, you are forward."

"Ha-ha. You called me Rupert. How can it be forward when you call me by my given name?"

He had caught me in word-play and he had caught me also with my emotions. His features were so handsome, but his eyes! His eyes shone from deep pools. Therein all emotions, love, tenderness, honour, laughter and sadness were displayed in equal proportions. I wanted at that moment to wipe that sadness away. Here was something that I had not believed could be true. An aristocrat who treats someone like me with courtesy. He helped me with taking the measurements as being taller than I could easily reach up with the yardstick to the top of the window. I wrote down the measurements he called in my notebook. He escorted me to the drawing room where my father waited. Another footman stood ready to serve tea.

"Mr. Smith. I thank you for your prompt attendance, the morrow or the next day would have been quite sufficient."

My father bowed slightly. "My Lord, it is a pleasure to be of service."

"Please sit down." The Earl nodded to the footman who began to serve tea. I of course instead of sitting went over to help in pouring the tea. "Adelaide." The Earl called me. I turned. "You are a guest here and you should allow Banthorpe to do his job." He rebuked me gently.

Flustered I went to the settle and sat down. "I am sorry, My Lord."

"I thought we had settled on Rupert." My father looked aghast at this presumption. " Mr. Smith. There is no discourtesy here. Your daughter allowed me to help with the measurements. Being an apprentice to your trade, so to speak, I insisted that she call me Rupert." He could see that my father was not happy with that and went on quickly. "Ah! I see you have brought some samples. What would you suggest, Mr. Smith. As I have no talent with furnishings I must concede to your superior knowledge." He easily diverted my father's attention.

In the weeks following Rupert would send a carriage for me supposedly needing my advice and to measure other rooms for new drapes. We would discuss the spurious reason so that I had something to tell my father, and mollify him with yet another order. With that topic disposed of within a few minutes we would talk and with our conversation I would find myself becoming further attached to Rupert. I believe that he also became more attached to me. His courtesy was seemingly inbred, but his gentlemanly behaviour to a woman so decidedly of a different class betook of another emotion. This came to a climax when one day we had taken a turn around his garden. It was quite a large garden with many shrubs and trees. At one point we could not be observed from the house. He stopped walking and I had taken a few steps onward and away from him. I stopped and looked back. His expression was a soulful unhappiness. "Adelaide." His voice was broken. "Much as I would love to see our friendship flower, I cannot go on with our meetings." He took a deep breath. "I enjoy our converse so much that I now feel a deeper emotion for you. Indeed if the situation were different I would seek a much closer relationship with you than just friendship. As it is I cannot offer you anything and that pains me. You know that I am married." I nodded, he had told me early on in our friendship. A marriage urged upon him by family, uniting his Earldom to the daughter of a Duke. The son of the marriage would be a Duke and an Earl at the same time. "That being the case it would be improper of me to become more intimate with you. I would ruin your reputation and with that tarnished it could be difficult for you to make a good marriage."

I closed to him and looked up. "Rupert. How could I ever make a good marriage when any man I met I would compare with you, and find him wanting. I would live as a sorrowful wife and a poor mother as my children would not be yours. My heart would grieve that I am not with you all the time." I paused not knowing how to propose that I knew in my head to be right. "Rupert, my dearest. I understand why you say these things. Not just your marriage, but the difference in class as well. Not being with you or seeing you would cast a shadow over my life; if I cannot be your wife then I would offer myself to you as your mistress."

He was shocked. "My dearest Adelaide. I could not accept that. Surely you would know how your life will be? You could not be seen in society. You will live your life in the gloom."

"I know that, Rupert. But if that is the price I have to pay, I will pay it willingly, just to have you from time to time." I moved closer to him and put my arms around his waist. He automatically enfolded me in his arms and I looked up, beseeching him to kiss me. His lips descended to mine. My heart raced with my first kiss and when his tongue first probed and then parted my lips, my heart bounded within my breast. I did not know that a kiss could be like this, but the intimacy of his tongue tasting my mouth and my tongue dwelling in his was overwhelming. He drew back yet held me tightly still. "Rupert. My body is yours whenever you wish to take it."

"That is a gift beyond value, Adelaide. I promise that you will never rue your decision, I shall look after you and your father. You will never find me wanting. If I cannot be your husband then I shall have to find a husband for you. One who will give you a title yet will not demand of you that which you give me freely."

"Why do I need a title, Rupert?"

"That way you will be suitable for society and we can meet quite openly."

"And my husband?"

"He will be rewarded for his discretion."

Two weeks later Rupert visited on the Sunday, and with trepidation I made some tea as Rupert conversed with my father. When we were seated together, Rupert, bravely set before my father the arrangement we had come to. Fathers' face went white and then puce with anger. "Sir! With due deference to your status, your intentions are less than honourable. You call upon us and calmly propose you prostitute my daughter. How dare you, Sir. When I was young I would have been in my rights to call you out whatever the circumstance of our class."

"Mr. Smith, I do understand your anger. If I could marry Adelaide I would in an instant and damn the consequences. However that is impossible. My feelings for your daughter are intense, so much so that I find it impossible to put an end to our meetings."

Rupert, being the gentleman that he was took all the blame on his shoulders. I could not let him face the ire alone. "Father. Ever since I was sixteen you have turned away all the young men who called. None was good enough. For quite a few months no one has called such were the high standards you imposed on any suitor. Rupert, who would meet and exceed any standards you set tried to end our friendship. It was I who told him I couldn't accept that. It was I who proposed that I become his mistress. I love Rupert with all my heart and I will happily accept any place in his life as long as I do have a place, however small that place may be."

Rupert took my hand and gazed into my eyes. "There will always be a place for you in my life, lovely Adelaide. A very important place too, as you will hold my heart."

My father had to withdraw his concerns. A draper cannot argue too vehemently with an Earl. When he mentioned that he had arranged that I marry the Baronet Sir Dashwood Chandler, father caved in. To be connected to that family would be good for his business. We knew of the family but of course we had no social connection. That Sir Dashwood was a gentleman but did not act as a gentleman was unknown to my father and me. It turned out that Rupert also was misled to that gentleman's character.

With everything settled, I was eager to begin my life with Rupert. He invited my father and me to dinner at Upton Lodge, sending his carriage for us. It was not a happy evening as my father glowered all through the meal. I withdrew allowing them the time to smoke cigars and take a glass of brandy. When they joined me in the drawing room father appeared to be a little happier. It was many years later that I found out why. Ten thousand guineas do help to smooth a ruffled demeanour. The money was actually for me, so if anything happened to Rupert I would be cared for. Rupert couldn't make the gift to me personally as when I married the capital would have belonged to my husband. The carriage was called again and my father left, alone. The house maid showed me the way to my bedroom and helped me out of my dress, petticoats and stays. She left and I slipped out of my drawers and bodice and donned a nightgown. Then thinking about it I took it off and slipped naked into the bed. I waited with bated breath for the knock on the door which would herald Rupert's joining me.

The knock came and I drew my breath to answer. "Come in." I called and Rupert came in, wearing a robe, I wondered if under that robe would he be as naked as I? He came over to the bed and bending down kissed me with passion. As his lips left mine I sat up and the covers slipped down revealing my breasts. His eyes opened wide with admiration.

"Oh, my dearest and most loved Adelaide. You are so beautiful."

I pushed the covers down revealing the whole of my body. "I promised you my body, Rupert, and I offer it to you now. All yours as often as you wish, to do with as you wish. Just promise that you will love me."

He doffed the robe and for the first time I saw a man unclothed. It was difficult to know where to look first. His strong legs, his manly chest covered lightly with hair, his muscular arms or his member which sprang majestically from his loins. Even as I watched it seemed to quiver and grow. He slipped into bed with me and wrapped me in his arms. I declare I had never felt such wonder before, his body cleaved to mine, his lips sought mine, his chest impressed upon my breasts and the heat of his member lay upright against my belly. My legs entwined as if by nature with his pulling him even closer if that were possible. All doubts flew away in an instant. This was my place, I had found content.

I had eavesdropped on some of our customers, who when my father was not present would gossip and moan about their marital duty. From their whispers I had formed the opinion that women would suffer the indignities of marital relations purely to keep their spouse happy. At first that thought was in my mind yet the experience with Rupert changed my opinion completely. Not only did he kiss my lips but savoured my breasts giving much attention to my nipples. I have to confess that this gave me great pleasure, although when his lips moved further down my body, pleasure mixed with astonishment. None of those housewives had mentioned this! I understood that the first time would be painful, although the pain was trivial compared to the expectation. Even so Rupert, upon seeing my wince of discomfort, made to withdraw his face showing his concern. "No, my dearest. It will pass quickly enough." I encouraged him and I was right, for the pain subsided quite quickly and soon it was I who urged him to take me. The idea that nature had devised this manner of reproduction for men's delight alone was banished from my head as waves of pleasure started to assail me. They began as a small tingle and with the waves the tingle grew into a wondrous experience. At some point I lost consciousness as the pleasure overwhelmed me. Rupert was red in the face and perspiring when at last he spent into me. The warmth of his spend was yet another wonderful experience I had not anticipated. At that moment the possibility of my becoming with child was far and away the least of my concern, my mind was too busy with the thought that if this beautiful engagement were to be repeated I would join whole heartedly. Rupert had made me a woman, his woman and I held him in my arms as he recovered his breath, I contemplating the future with a smile.

I learned that Rupert enjoyed seeing me naked and I enjoyed indulging him, as the look in his eyes warmed me. I took to engineering little episodes when he could discover me unclothed. I would sit at my dressing table in complete dishabille and look shocked when he entered my bedroom. I would occasionally rouge my nipples with beetroot juice; that drove Rupert into a frenzy I am happy to say. One thing I tried that became regular was my shaving my private area. I had thought to trim, but was unhappy with the result. Therefore I borrowed Rupert's razor and actually I liked the result. Rupert loved it and paid such homage to me there that I was delirious with happiness. That this gave me so much delight I thought perhaps that Rupert would like my taking his member in my mouth. He did and I was surprised that I enjoyed this as well. Oh and yes together we would use words that only lovers should use. I blush when I think about it, not with shame though, but with recollection of the pleasure we gave each other.

Kezza67
Kezza67
1,191 Followers
12