The Mover Ch. 03

Story Info
The good, the bad, the evil.
1.3k words
5.8k
1
0

Part 3 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 08/11/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ktfa1
ktfa1
6 Followers

I nearly jumped out of my skin when my desk phone rang. I'm not used to many calls, especially so early in the morning. I picked it up and said hello.

"Good morning, Mrs. Lynch, this is Isabella De Carlo. I'm calling from Mr. Blackwell's office."

I'd never heard of either of them. "Hello, Miss De Carlo, how may I help you?"

"Mr. Blackwell would like to see you immediately; do you know where we're located?"

"I'm afraid not."

"Take the elevator up to the top floor; we're in the executive suite."

A million thoughts raced through my mind as I rode the elevator up. I had no idea what I was walking into but I was confident that I would maintain my composure. The elevator opened to a corridor with linen wallpaper, crown molding and plush carpet. I followed it down to a mahogany doorway and was met by a young woman sitting at a beautiful mahogany desk. She was strikingly beautiful, olive complexioned, with exotic dark eyes and full red lips. Her hair was black and as shiny as a raven's feathers. She rose from her seat and said, "Mr. Blackwell will see you now. Please come with me."

She led me into a corner office that was beautifully decorated with dark wood, heavy drapes and tapestries. Mr. Blackwell was seated behind an imposing desk of dark mahogany. I was aware of an acrid odor in the suite and noticed that he was smoking a small, black cigar. I believe it's called a cheroot. How important could this man be, to ignore a state law against smoking in the workplace? I was expecting him to be at least cordial, but he came right to the point. I took a seat in front of him and waited.

"Mrs. Lynch, you came to us highly recommended, yet it seems you are having difficulty adjusting to your work assignment. Perhaps a mistake has been made; perhaps you are not qualified for your position?"

"Mr. Blackwell, I'm trying very hard, I assure you, it's just that—

"Mrs. Lynch, the company has invested a large sum of money in you. Just the amount spent in acquiring new employees is considerable. When a new member of our staff fails to display even a fraction of their potential in the first two weeks, we must decide if that employee is worthy of the position."

"Mr. Blackwell, I apologize for getting off to such a bad start, but the woman who was supposed to train, excuse me, to acclimate me to my position, left me on my first morning. Also, as I'm sure you are aware; Mr. Johnson has been in Austin, Texas since I started. So you can understand my predicament."

If Mr. Blackwell understood my predicament, he sure wasn't letting on. He puffed thoughtfully on his nasty cigar and finally spoke.

"Mrs. Lynch, while there is indeed some merit to your defense, you must understand that if we make an exception for you, the rest of our staff and our other new employees will expect to be mollycoddled, as well."

"Mr. Blackwell, I don't expect to be mollycoddled, I just require the tools to collect the information I need to perform my duties."

I waited for an eternity while he filled the room with malodorous smoke and pondered my fate. Finally, he set down his cigar and leaned toward me.

"Very well, Mrs. Lynch, I'm going to allow Isabella to spend some time with you, to teach you the essentials you require. Of course, you'll have to do this on your own time. Our company is not in the business of education. Additionally, this favoritism cannot leave this office. If I hear one word of this from anyone besides the three of us, you will be terminated. Have I made myself clear?"

"Yes, Mr. Blackwell."

"Very well then, you'll report to Isabella every morning at five for one hour of tutoring. This will continue for the standard ninety day probation period. However, I'm sure you'll be up to speed before then."

"Yes, sir; I just need a few things. Thank you for your time and patience."

"Good day, Mrs. Lynch."

*****

I spent the rest of the day kissing up to anyone I could corner. Mike was right about the girls, they really were nice, and once I began to flatter them on an individual basis, they soon warmed up and began to give me the codes I needed to process the invoices and account contracts. I found that Patti knew the codes, where Debi was the expert on contracts. Sheri was probably the sweetest of the three but, unfortunately for me, not qualified in any of the areas I needed to be proficient.

I also found out something I hadn't known, something that would explain a lot regarding my relationship with the girls. In a kind moment, Sheri revealed something I hadn't known. It seems that I was hired to be their contact manager; they were supposed to be working for me! It's no wonder they felt resentment when asked to teach their new boss how to do her job. Once again, Mike's gentle advice had come to my rescue.

Nevertheless, the more I could learn on my own, the less time I would have to spend in that stinky office with that despotic man and his creepy assistant. I also realized that there were things to know that I couldn't get from Patti, Debi or Sheri. I was so lost in thought; I didn't realize that I had worked through lunch again, and that Mike was standing at the entrance to my cubicle.

"Hi Mike! How did the move go?" He smiled and groaned, holding his back as if it were killing him.

"A lot of stairs, Penny Collins-Lynch, a lot of stairs. I was sure happy to get that move over with."

"I'll bet they were happy, too. Did you get your pizza?"

"Even better, he laughed, "A bucket of chicken! I even got some to take home!" I had to laugh at an old hippie who would work his butt off for a bucket of greasy fried chicken.

"It looks like you got some bruises to take home as well." He began to examine the bruises on his skinny arms as if seeing them for the first time.

"Bruises are a part of moving, Penny Collins-Lynch; you can't move without getting a few bruises here and there."

"Well, you certainly got your share, Mike."

"It looks like you've got some bruises of your own. How'd ya get that?"

Flustered, I dropped my hands into my lap and grasped at the first excuse I could think of. "Oh, I was cleaning the kitchen and bumped into the edge of the table. Really, it's nothing."

"Don't be so sure, Penny Collins-Lynch. Trust me; some bruises are hematomas that can be life threatening. Let me take a look."

Before I could object, Mike was gently holding my arm. He held my elbow with his right hand and ran his fingers softly over the bruises on my upper arm. "That's not so bad," he said. He brought his right hand up to my bicep and gently wrapped his hand around it, so that his fingers matched perfectly with the bruises Don left when he grabbed me. He raised his head until his eyes met mine.

"You were lucky, it could have been much worse."

* * * * *

Don's car was in the driveway when Penny got home that night. The first thing she did was check the laundry room. She wasn't surprised to find that the poker chips and hotel pass card were missing. She debated whether to prepare his dinner for the following evening. She decided to fix his dinner, but she also decided to come to bed, if only to see what he would do. The moment she slipped under the covers, Don rolled over stiffly and turned his back to her. When Penny awoke, the alarm was buzzing and he was gone. At least I don't have to get up and make breakfast, she thought to herself. Remembering that she had to be at work by five, she dragged herself out of bed and prepared for another long day.

ktfa1
ktfa1
6 Followers
Share this Story

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

The Mover Ch. 02 Previous Part
The Mover Series Info

Similar Stories

Tale of Tommy the Soldier Soldier from the trenches returns home to his loving bride.in Romance
A Father's Justice Pt. 01 Jilted husband deals with the man who destroyed his family.in Loving Wives
Deja' Poo The feeling this shit had happened before.in Loving Wives
Ziplining To Conclusions Some ideas seem poorly thought out when push comes to shove.in Loving Wives
You Wandered Down the Lane and far away.in Loving Wives
More Stories