The Mover Ch. 04

Story Info
Penny makes a new friend.
1.9k words
4.9k
1
0

Part 4 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 08/11/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ktfa1
ktfa1
6 Followers

Isabella De Carlo turned out to be as exotic as her name. True, she was drop dead gorgeous, but she was also aloof, mysterious and sensual. She spoke with an accent that was as ambiguous as her name; neither betrayed her ethnicity. She could have been Spanish, Italian, or Greek; there was no way of knowing. I could see how men would be attracted to her, had it not been for her cologne. It was musky, like Opium, but with an acrid undertone that smelled for all the world like someone had been lighting matches. When combined with the disgusting smell of Mr. Blackwell's cigars which permeated the suite, I became so nauseous that I could barely pay attention to her.

Not that it mattered, for Isabella's tutoring was proving to be practically useless. There was little that she showed me that I didn't know and what she did show me seemed specious, illogical and just plain wrong. However, I managed to keep my breakfast down until the hour had passed. I would have been offended by her curt dismissal had I not been so anxious to get out of that office and away from her. You can imagine my surprise when the door to the elevator opened and I ran right into Mike.

"Good morning, Mike. What are you doing here so early in the morning; don't you work the night shift?"

"Good morning, Penny Collins-Lynch. I'm here for an asbestos abatement class. We have to take one every year, so we can't sue the company, I suppose. At least I get to leave early, so that's not so bad. How come you were coming from upstairs?"

"Oh, I must have pressed the wrong button. Would you help me carry one of my bags?" I seemed to have dodged his question, because he smiled and grabbed the largest briefcase and walked with me to my little cubicle. We chatted while I waited for my computer to boot up."

"So, Penny Collins Lynch, how's the world been treating you?"

"Oh, I sighed, "It's getting better. I'm getting a lot more cooperation from the girls, but it still makes me uncomfortable, the way they call to each other from their cubicles. It makes me feel so disenfranchised and left out of the loop. The department meetings are a problem, as well. They give me no support, it makes me appear incompetent. They leave me to twist in the wind."

"There was a man at the old Hughes plant in Fullerton who coined the phrase, 'Fix the problem, not the blame.' Everyone who hears it grabs on to it and eventually makes it their own. I use it every chance I get."

"Mike, you're right, that's a wonderful concept. I'm going to make a note of that."

"Here's another little trick you can use. Whenever you speak with anyone here at the workplace, be sure to focus on the customer. Throw that one in whenever possible. Folks can't refute someone who puts the customer first."

"Mike, where do you come up with all of this? That's so intuitive, so clever!"

Mike just flashed that crooked smile and said, "Stick with me, Penny Collins-Lynch; I got a million of 'em!"

"Thanks, Mike; I don't suppose you have some magic words to make me 'one of the girls,' have you?"

"Penny, dear, you have to remember that their friendship goes so far back that you'll never be as close to them as they are to each other. Twenty-odd years is a long time, sweetie."

"I know, I just wish that once in awhile they'd invite me to go to lunch with them, or at least not talk about going right in front of me."

I realized just how pitiful I must have sounded and expected him to offer his sympathy, but instead, his eyes lit up and he snapped his fingers.

"I almost forgot! Come with me, there's someone I want you to meet."

So I followed Mike through the maze of cubicles that eventually led us to a short, narrow hallway with a single door at the end. From inside, there was the sound of a woman who was obviously singing while wearing headphones. Mike was giggling, although I couldn't be sure if it was due to the cacophony in the office or my reaction to the woman's singing.

"She actually sings beautifully, but you know how it is when someone sings with headphones. Come on, let's go inside."

We stood inside the doorway and gazed upon the woman at the computer. Mike ushered me in, and we stood there and waited for the woman to acknowledge our presence.

"Mike, lets go, she obviously doesn't want to be disturbed."

"That's just how she is, he cackled, "She's got both sides of her brain going at the same time. The right side is working on that spreadsheet while the other is grooving on her gospel music. Just give her a moment; she'll be with us eventually."

While we waited, I studied her, for she was a sight to behold. She was a large woman, not heavy, just big. It was hard to tell while she was sitting, but she had to be a least six feet tall. She looked strong, and sat with perfect posture. Her back was straight, her shoulders back and her head held high.

She was dressed in a beautiful dress and blazer of midnight blue silk, embroidered with black lace and sequins. The buttons were pearls that perfectly matched her earrings and painted nails that had to be three inches long, at the very least. She wore rings of white gold and pearls. A bracelet of white gold, diamonds and pearls graced her wrist. Her diamond necklace couldn't possibly be real, yet it was. Her high heel pumps also matched her ensemble perfectly. The heels were lying carelessly at her bare feet.

Her skin was the color of Godiva chocolate; her eyeglasses were designer and also accentuated her outfit. Her hair was straight and cut in a stylish bob that cut across the left side of her face. In short, she was exquisitely breathtaking. She closed the program, removed the headphones and turned to face us with a friendly smile.

"Michael! What a lovely surprise! How nice it is to see you! How are you, my dear?"

"Well, Ms. King, you know how it is. I've been better, but it costs more."

"Don't I know it? Who's your pretty little friend?"

"Ms. King, I'd like to introduce you to Penny Collins-Lynch. Penny, this is my good friend, Mary King."

"Hello, Penny, dear; it's so very nice to meet you." She extended her hand to mine and I couldn't help myself.

"My goodness, Mrs. King; you have such beautiful rings!"

"Goodness had nothing to do with it, darling."

"Ms. King, you should be ashamed of yourself for stealing that old Mae West line!"

She laughed and said, "I know, Michael, but I just couldn't resist. Penny walked right into that one." She turned to me and said, "Honey, goodness had everything to do with this bling."

"Ms. King is one of the finest women you'll ever meet, Penny Collins-Lynch."

"The Lord has blessed me with many wonderful things, Penny."

"That discrimination settlement against the company didn't hurt, either," Mike said.

"Michael, don't make me get up; you know I'll smack you!"

"Ms. King, Penny started work less than two weeks ago, and she's not getting much cooperation. She's kind of lost around here. I just found her coming down from the top floor."

Mary King's demeanor changed in an instant. Her eyes blazed, her jaw clenched visibly.

"You met that son of a bitch, Blackwell! Oh, Penny, you're too nice a young woman to have to put up with that old goat!"

Never mind the incongruity of her language; I felt my knees turn to water and my heart start to pound. I cast a furtive glance to the open door.

"Please, I said, "I could lose my job; no one is supposed to know!"

"It's okay, dear; we're alone in here. Tell us what's going on."

I recounted the events of my meeting with Mr. Blackwell, and how I was being tutored by his assistant. Mrs. King listened, casting knowing glances at Mike as I spoke. They seemed to have come to a conclusion before I'd finished. Like a judge in his court, Mary King laid down the law.

"Here's what we're gonna do. Penny, you will continue your visits upstairs, but you're gonna come to me and I'll undo everything that witch feeds you. I can give you all the information you need to do your job, honey. Michael will keep a look out for you. We don't want to get anybody else mixed up in this shit."

"I don't want you and Mike to lose your jobs, Mrs. King."

"Don't you worry about us, honey. Don't you worry about Blackwell or his bitch, either. He can't fire you, but he can sure make some trouble if we don't handle him right. You just come to me whenever you have the time."

"I don't want to impose, Mrs. King, you have your own job to do."

They both laughed until Mary had to reach for a tissue to dab her eyes. Mike had to explain why they found this so amusing.

"Ms. King won her settlement, but the company wouldn't buy her out of the five years she needs to reach her retirement. Instead, they agreed to let her work off the hours at her own discretion."

"Honey, I'm the first to come in and the last one to leave. I'm working out those hours as fast as I can. I'd sleep here, if I thought I could."

"Tell the truth and shame the devil, Ms. King. I've heard you snoring in here." Mike had to jump to avoid being slapped.

"Speaking of which, Michael, when am I going to see you at church?"

"As much as I'd like to hear you sing, Ms. King, you know I've got people to help move."

Her smile beamed with love for Mike as she replied, "I guess I can't fault you for that. In his own way, Penny, Michael does the Lord's work."

"You'd better give me some credit, Ms. King. Don't forget who helped you move."

"I haven't forgotten, Michael, and I never will."

* * * * *

Penny Collins-Lynch came home that night to a dozen red roses in a vase on the dining room table. She picked up the letter next to the single candle and read it by the small flame.

My darling,

I was so angry when I got home from the sports bar that I didn't realize what you must have thought when you found the chips and the card key. My darling, I would never do anything to hurt you. I would never betray my commitment to our marriage. Please believe me that the card was Ron's. He was in town and you know how much he loves the blackjack tables. I went to the casino to see him, and yes, I did play a few games, but we spent most of the time in his room. I haven't seen my brother in over a year, so it was nice to see him. You know how we go on, once we get started.

I'm sorry that I snapped at you. It's just that we hardly see each other these days. I swear that I'll try to be more considerate in the future. I love you, my darling. I always have and I always will.

-Don

Penny read the letter three more times before she finished making his dinner and crawled into bed. He hardly stirred as she wrapped herself around him. Things were finally beginning to work out, she thought to herself.

ktfa1
ktfa1
6 Followers
Share this Story

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

The Mover Ch. 03 Previous Part
The Mover Series Info

Similar Stories

Give Me the Man A rescue makes Initiation even better.in Sci-Fi & Fantasy
New Girl in Town Pt. 01 Will the arrival of a new girl at school change his luck?in First Time
The Divine Gambit Ch. 01 1. A Rude Awakeningin Sci-Fi & Fantasy
A Hero's Rebirth Ch. 01 A hero makes a sacrifice and his rewarded is a second chance.in Novels and Novellas
Fairy Tales Do Come True I'm a cop. She was homeless. I had to do something with her.in Romance
More Stories