The Palace Pt. 05

Story Info
A new purpose.
5.8k words
4.82
35.4k
34

Part 5 of the 13 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 07/21/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,307 Followers

The Empress had installed me in a place I was quite familiar with. It was the luxurious room with the lattices, from which I had first watched Bishkur meeting with his tutor. That was where I spent the bulk of my time. I had books, and Notroh, the cross-eyed guard, brought me food, or escorted me to the baths. Otherwise, however, I was basically a prisoner.

There was another guard on my door - Notroh's partner. He was equally young, and obviously under strict instructions never to speak with me. I asked Notroh what his partner's name was.

- "I cannot tell you that." was his answer.

So I gave the other guard a name. He had no distinguishing features, so I thought of him as N.P. - Notroh's Partner. And so he became 'Enpy', to me. There were two - or possibly four - other guardsmen, who took shifts at my door, to prevent me from leaving the room. But I never interacted with them at all. Yasina wanted my existence kept secret.

That's why, when Notroh came to get me, I was eager to go. I wondered what Yasina would have to say as I put the hood on. Notroh made me wait inside the room while he opened the door, and looked both ways. Enpy stared straight ahead.

Notroh indicated that I should follow. We turned left. I saw two more guardsmen, stationed at the very next door.

Notroh walked six paces, and stopped. He saluted the two other guardsmen. I was ushered between them as the door opened, and I entered the room. I was tempted to laugh out loud, but I'm sure that the guardsmen would not have appreciated it.

Bishkur was waiting for me, idly scanning a scroll. He was the Emperor, but I kept thinking of him as Prince Bishkur.

- "Carrach!" he said, with genuine warmth.

I bowed. "At your service, Highness."

- "And I at yours." he replied, politely.

- "Now that you are Emperor, Highness, I'm not sure that you need to say that."

- "Oh? Perhaps not." He smiled. "But then, you need not ... address me as 'Highness' at every turn."

He had brought a number of scrolls.

- "Which of these do you ... recommend I read first?" he asked.

- "Before we begin, Highness -"

He held up a hand, palm outward.

- "I'm sorry. I was simply going to tell you, before we say anything: the Empress has ordered me to report to her, in writing: everything you discuss with me."

- "I understand." he said.

- "You don't seem surprised." I observed.

- "I have very few secrets from my mother, Carrach." he said. "But I appreciate your ... candor."

We got down to business. He had brought chronicles of famous campaigns, treatises on military strategy, and travellers' accounts of the lands around Zamarka.

- "Which should I read first?" he asked. "Which would you ... recommend?"

I glanced at the titles, and quickly made three piles.

- "These." I suggested, pointing to the nearest pile. "Rabashik first - Principles of Strategy. It's old, but it's still the best. He's a good writer, too - you'll enjoy it. Then, if you have the time, or the patience, you can read these two."

"After those, you'll be better prepared for the chronicles. Sarran is probably the best. He gets a little carried away with the Battle of Hyspa, but that's because he was there, in person."

- "Really?"

- "Best way to learn." I said. "As for the travellers' journals, most of them are pure embroidery. Tales of distant lands, where men have three eyes, and the camels' heads face the same direction as their tails. They're meant to entertain. But you can rely more on Sohrip."

- "Why is that?" asked Bishkur.

- "He was an Imperial spy, employed by your grandfather. He visited the Kilchiks, the Roxoni, and many others. He counted their settlements, and described their customs, their dwellings - everything he saw. It's strictly factual - and even more interesting."

- "And this pile?"

- "A waste of time." I told him. "Don't even bother."

- "Have you read them all?" he asked.

We had a pleasant discussion about history, and reading. Every so often, I remembered that I was speaking to the Emperor. You might think that would be unsettling to be looking at someone who so closely resembled me. We might have been brothers - even twins (though I was a few years older).

No, the odd thing about conversing with the Emperor was the thought that I had slept with his mother. Or, rather ... that she had slept with me. Did Yasina harbor some strange desire for her own son? Best not to think about that too much.

Then Bishkur changed the subject. "The other day, Carrach. Why did you ask if I was heterosexual? It did not strike me as simple ... curiosity."

- "I was ... concerned, Highness. Sorry."

- "Can you explain the nature of this ... concern?"

I took a deep breath. "The Empress used me once, as a decoy, a double for you. She may choose to do it again. Hopefully, in a less violent setting."

"But there are other dangers. What if, in the course of impersonating you, I encountered a close friend of yours. Perhaps even someone that ... you were intimate with."

- "I begin to understand." he said.

- "They'd know instantly. I would fail to recognize them, to provide the sort of signal, or recognition that they would expect."

- "I am not in the habit of kissing or embracing close friends in public." he said. Bishkur was not angry - he understood what I was driving at.

- "No - I know that. But they know, instantly, just from the way you look at them, where they stand in your affections." I said.

- "And all of this, you ... deduced, from the way I looked at handsome men?"

- "Partly." I admitted.

- "Well, then ... we must not put you in situations where that could ... occur."

- "But if we do that, Highness, then we limit my potential usefulness. If I cannot pass as you, then why keep me here? And if the Empress has no further use for me ..." I deliberately left that last bit hanging.

- "I would gladly find employment for you." he said.

- "It's not unemployment that I fear, Highness. I am privy to a few too many secrets."

Bishkur was no fool. He studied me gravely. "You believe that she would have you killed?"

I didn't have to say anything. In truth, I was worried that she would have my father and Minika killed, as well. Sumad's fate was a clear indication of what happened to people who knew Yasina's secrets. But I could not say all of that to her son.

- "Ah." was all he said.

- "My continued service, then, seems to depend on being the best possible double you could have, Highness. The more I know, the better I will be. And the less likely to make a serious error."

Bishkur smiled. "And you will put all of this - everything we have ... discussed - in writing? For my mother? So this subject is as much for her information as for mine?"

The new Emperor was no fool. A bit soft, perhaps. A little too nice. And homosexual. But stupid he was not.

***********************************************************************

I wrote it all down. Yasina might be very angry. Monumentally angry. But if I was going to survive at the Palace, it wouldn't be by pretending to be a complete idiot. She held the power of life and death over me, and we both knew it.

So I included everything. And two days later, Notroh escorted me to the more luxurious baths, where Nanka was waiting. I hadn't seen her since the night we had spent together.

She looked remarkably good, even without the makeup and rich clothing.

- "Hello, lovely one." I said.

Her face was, as usual, expressionless. She pointed at me.

- "Sturrip." she said.

- "Really?" I replied. "Is that how you intend to great me, after that night we had together?" I advanced toward her, intending to kiss her - at least. But Nanka placed a hand against my chest, to keep me at a distance. She had a strong arm.

- "You are nice man." she said. "I enjoy fucking you. But I serve Her. Unnerstand?"

I did. Nanka could not afford to have her Mistress suspect her of divided loyalties. That could be very dangerous. And yet, from what Nanka had said - a rather lengthy speech, by her standards - she liked me. She just couldn't risk showing me affection, or special favor. In the Palace, you never knew when someone was watching. In fact, it was probably safest to assume that somebody was always watching.

Nanka was biting her lip. I could not really read any expression in her exotic Roxoni features. But I like to think that I saw a little lust there, along with a hint of something more.

I stepped back, and spread my arms wide in surrender. "I understand, Nanka."

- "Good. Sturrip."

Nanka gave me a thorough scrubbing, a shave, and another manicure. It was delicious.

Then I was taken to see Yasina. The Empress was dressed very simply, in a silk robe. But it was plain that she wore nothing at all under it. She was showing considerable cleavage, and her nipples were making their presence known.

- "I read your report." she said. "It was very thorough. Very accurate. Thank you." She sat down; I remained standing. How did she know that my report was accurate? Had someone been listening to my conversation with the Emperor?

"Bishkur likes you, Carrach. I like you. So does Nanka. We have no intention of killing you." Yasina let that sink in.

"You have been very valuable to us, and I think that you will continue to be. Sometimes, I admit, you're more candid that I would expect from someone in your position. But my son appreciates that part of you - and I'm beginning to see its value as well."

"You can get that chair, behind you, and bring it over here." I did so, And Yasina continued.

"So: tell me what you think of homosexuality."

- "Highness?"

- "What do people say about homosexuals, in Wool Street?" she asked.

- "It's ... a complex question." I said. There was, strictly speaking, no legal or religious ban against homosexuality in Zamarka. It was frowned upon, but less of the stigma was attached to the more dominant, or 'male' partner. These attitudes were less pronounced among students, and educated or well-traveled men. Soldiers, on the other hand, were more intolerant.

Zamarkans liked virile rulers. They wanted their Emperor to maintain a large 'stable' of concubines, and to sire a large number of children. Zoer had been slightly lacking in this respect: he had only fathered 18 children. Many blamed his obsession with Yasina for this shortcoming.

So long as their ruler had three wives, and many concubines, and impregnated them regularly, the people were satisfied. Bisexuality in their Emperor was openly tolerated. Basically, so long as he fucked many women, the Emperor could fuck whoever else he liked in his spare time.

Yasina agreed with my short summary. "So, Bishkur could fuck as many men as he wants, as long as he fucks more women." she said. "It's just the proportion that has be right."

- "That's an ... original way of looking at it." I said, diplomatically.

- "Not entirely. Emperor Sorod was a man of ... voracious appetites." she pointed out.

- "Yes. He was." I agreed, having read my histories. "But I think that the camel was a little over the top, don't you?"

- "Never mind." she said. "Let's get back to the issue, shall we? As you have guessed, my son prefers the company of males. He's not allergic to women - but he's not eager for their beds, either."

- "He only has to impregnate his wives." I pointed out. "Isn't that sufficient?"

- "It would be, if his sexual life was otherwise above suspicion. He's been extremely discreet, so far. And I have every intention of helping him stay that way." she said, firmly. "But ..."

- "But?"

Yasina smirked. "Can you guess what life is like, for the wives and concubines, Carrach? You know that I was a concubine, for years, before Zoer made me his wife."

- "Everyone in Zamarka knows that story, Highness." I replied. I did not mention that many people suspected her of murdering one of Zoer's wives, so that he would be free to marry her.

- "Believe me, then, when I tell you this: the concubines talk." she said. "The wives have their own separate quarters, their own servants. But the concubines are thrown together, with no one else for company. Oh, they talk ..."

"They may be shy, when they first arrive. Or terrified. They may not even understand Zamarkan. Some girls are unwilling to discuss what they consider 'private' matters."

"But over time, they hear the others talk. And what else do they have to discuss, that's new, or interesting?"

- "The Emperor?" I guessed.

- "They're not allowed out - unless it's a special occasion, and then they travel together, heavily guarded. No one experiences anything new - unless it's a night with the Emperor. So they talk about it. How he looked, what he said, what he did, how many times they did it ..."

- "Really?" I was surprised.

- "Of course." said Yasina. "What else is there? If one concubine says that she had a wonderful night with the Emperor, another will say that her experience was better. Then a third will say that hers was fabulous, or the best ever ..."

- "They're competitive?" I said.

- "Of course they are."

I nodded, beginning to understand. It's only human nature, after all.

- "Were you ...?"

- "Competitive?" Yasina smiled wolfishly. "What do you think?"

- "Somehow, I can't picture you ... bragging." I said.

- "You're quite right, Carrach. I never spoke of it. I didn't have to. Because the Emperor kept calling me for me. Night after night. Sometimes twice a day. I never needed to say a word."

A thought struck me. "Highness - what if the night with the Emperor had been ... less than satisfactory?"

- "It could happen. At first, a concubine would say little. She would wonder if she was the exception. If everyone else had wonderful experiences, but you didn't, what does that say about you?"

Yasina smirked again. "Eventually, though, they would all realize that the common element was him. So then a concubine would complain about her horrible experience, and another would describe her night, which was even worse ... and so on."

- "If ... if these women's reports were all negative -" I wondered. "That is ... well, does it really matter? Outside the women's quarters?"

- "It matters." said Yasina. "It spreads. Unhappy concubines affect each other, the guardsmen, the servants ... If it's only one woman - one disgruntled concubine - that's easy. You marry her off quickly to a provincial Governor, or a General."

- "But if it's all of them ...?" I asked.

- "Trouble." she admitted. "And it spills over, outside the Palace. These guards and servants have friends, and family. People talk. Sometimes, it seems as if all they do is talk about what goes on in the Palace."

I was beginning to get the idea.

- "You are worried about your son." I said.

Yasina studied me carefully for a moment. "Listen, Carrach: you know enough secrets as it is, so one more won't make a great difference. I told you that Bishkur isn't allergic to women. He slept with one of his father's concubines."

- "His father's?"

- "Yes - the Emperor 'inherits' his predecessor's women. He must treat the wives as royalty, and maintain their households. The concubines are different. Traditionally, he marries them off to provincial Governors, or loyal Generals. Unless there are a few he wants to keep for himself."

"I chose the girl myself." she continued. "Quiet, speaks little Zamarkan. Not a virgin, but not wildly experienced. Zoer had her only a few times, before his illness began."

- "How - how did it go?" I asked. Something told me that the night had not been a roaring success - if it had, we would not be having this conversation.

- "Let's just say that he did his duty. But it wasn't stellar." admitted Yasina.

I felt badly for Bishkur. But for a moment, I also felt sorry for the Empress. How was this possible? She was the most utterly sexual creature I had ever met, or ever heard of. And Zoer had been a randy old goat, in his time. How did their son turn out to inherit only a modest sexual appetite?

- "Will she speak of it?" I asked.

- "The girl? No, I got rid of her." said Yasina. For a moment, I wondered if she meant ... But Yasina went on, mildly irritated. "She's on her way to marry the Governor of Kazem."

- "Kazem?"

- "The Roxoni frontier." said Yasina. I understood, then - that was as far as physically possible from Zamarka.

- "Can you limit the number of concubines?" I asked. "Or ... does it matter when you send them on - marry them off, I mean?"

- "You're thinking that we could send them away, and then Bishkur wouldn't have to sleep with them? A few, perhaps. If they're old, or ugly, or not to his taste." she said. "But more will be arriving. It's customary, as a gift for the Emperor."

- "Do people really send the Emperor ugly concubines?" I asked.

- "No."

Yasina changed the subject. "Would you like something to drink?" she asked me. The Empress didn't wait for my answer. At her signal, Nanka brought out a tray. I smiled at the Roxoni girl - to have completely ignored her might have made Yasina suspicious. But I didn't overdo it.

I was trying to wrap my mind around Bishkur's problem. It was, potentially, quite serious. A low sex drive could be overlooked, I suppose, if the Emperor was overtly masculine in some other way: an avid hunter, or a conqueror who led armies and slaughtered thousands. But Yasina's son was unlikely to become either of those.

The Empress interrupted my brief reverie. "Nanka really enjoyed her night with you." she said. I glanced at Nanka. Roxoni don't blush, but her lips were tightly pressed together. Was Yasina trying to embarrass her maid? Why?

"I liked watching, too." continued Yasina. "It was very exciting." I swear, she actually brushed a hand over her own nipple.

Sometimes, I can be quite clever, and extremely perceptive. This was not one of those occasions. Yasina was hinting at something ...

- "Are you suggesting, Highness, that I tutor the Emperor ...?"

- "What?" she said. "No, you idiot. I'm suggesting that you fuck his concubines!"

That was not what I had been expecting.

************************************************************************

Yasina gave me two days to think about it. And think I did.

On the positive side, she was asking me to impersonate her son by having sex with a large number of beautiful women. I must have suffered horribly, in a previous life, to have deserved such a fate.

They would meet Bishkur only once, when they were first presented at Court. What would they remember of him? A fleeting first impression, no more.

And I was getting quite good at impersonating him. How would they ever know the difference? They would have no reason to suspect that I wasn't the real Emperor.

It wasn't even unfair to the concubines, really. They were being sent to the capital to have sex with a man they had never met. And that man would be me. I would be kind, and gentle. Honestly - it could have turned out much worse for them, I told myself.

Yasina obviously hoped that I would perform as I had with her, and with Nanka. That way, her son would gain a reputation with the concubines. I wasn't certain that I could rise to that level every time. But I was willing to try.

Was there a negative side?

My life was still in danger, and by extension, my father's and Minika's. But that was nothing new. Perhaps this novel purpose would give Yasina a good reason to keep me alive. If I became essential, so to speak, could I use that leverage to extort a few more privileges? Such as being allowed to go home from time to time?

AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,307 Followers
12