The Palace Pt. 12

Story Info
The Night of Swords.
6.4k words
4.84
29.4k
26

Part 12 of the 13 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 07/21/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,315 Followers

Not quite the end - there will be another chapter after this ...

*******

"I'm sorry to hear about your father." said Yasina. Who knows? Perhaps she meant it. "What about that little maid? Wasn't she your first love? Do you want me to find her a place here, at the Palace? We could have her close by for you."

And under the watchful eyes of the Empress and her chief eunuch, I thought. I had a vision of Minika laboring in the kitchens, being groped by the cooks. "Thank you." I said, instead. "I sent her to live with a friend - a poor student. He wants to marry her."

- "Ah." said Yasina. "Well, it's not as if you don't have enough to do here. For one thing, you've been neglecting the concubines ..."

And she went back to her intrigues without missing a beat. I wondered if Yasina felt threatened by Bereyar, somehow. She wanted me to resume a schedule of sleeping with all of the concubines.

Her son's reaction was much more natural. "I am sorry for your loss." said Bishkur. "Your father sounded like a very perceptive man. I know that it was not possible, but I would have liked to meet him."

- "It might be better this way." I said. "He's no longer a hostage for my good behavior."

- "I suspect he would have enjoyed your wedding." said the Emperor.

Nanka also knew. She continued to attend me in the baths, and to shave me.

- "Sorry." she said."For your father."

For some inexplicable reason, that brought the tears back to my eyes. I couldn't even begin to understand why.

There was no way that I could tell Bereyar what had happened. But I was happy to be reunited with her - even after four days. She was enthusiastic as ever. Her brilliant smile, the vitality shining from her eyes ... they were a tremendous tonic for me.

She let me tell her about my 'inspection tour', but then her hands began to roam. Soon she was unfastening my clothing.

- "We can talk later." she said.

Bereyar wanted me inside her, and was impatient with any preliminary. She drew me onto her bed, and pulled me atop her. The moment of penetration was exquisite.

- "You're so ... wet." I said.

- "That's a ... good thing - isn't it?" she replied.

- "Of course. It's just - I did nothing to ... prepare you." I said.

- "I've been thinking about you all morning." she confessed. Then she wrapped her arms and legs around me, spoiling my balance completely, so that I collapsed, my full weight on her.

She groaned, and then thrust her tongue into my mouth. It was perhaps the most emotionally satisfying coupling of our brief life together. Bereyar brought an incredible intensity to our lovemaking. And on this occasion, I was able to match her.

Afterwards, as we basked in the afterglow of orgasm, I wondered if my emotions were wrapped up in my father's passing. Or was it connected to the catharsis of finally telling Minika the truth?

Where did Bereyar fit into this? Did I have the capacity to love her, fully and unreservedly, given my feelings for Min - even while I kept horrific secrets from her?

I even found a moment to worry that she had heard me use a contraction - something Bishkur never did. Even when our bodies were joined together, a part of my mind had to concentrate on playing my role. So much of my life had become a performance.

- "Where are you?" she said, softly. "You seem even further away than usual."

- "Pardon? What do you mean?" I asked.

- "Your thoughts are elsewhere. Your body is here, but your mind is roaming far afield." she said. "When we make love, I can feel that your heart is fully engaged. But I sometimes wonder what you are thinking. Today, it is more pronounced than usual."

- "My ... friend died. My old tutor." I said.

- "You were close?"

- "Very."

- "What was his name?" she asked.

- "Batir."

Bereyar had wonderful instincts. She could tell that I was feeling pain, but also that I didn't want to talk about it. So she simply enfolded me in her arms, and put her head against my chest.

*******

A month later, Nima was swelling visibly. Olom was already big as barrel. Adina and Taola still weren't showing. And Raia, it turned out, was not pregnant at all. She had simply skipped her menstrual period, for some reason. The Palace doctor explained that this was not uncommon, though in his experience it usually occurred with older women.

And then Bereyar told me her news: "I'm going to have a baby."

She was thrilled, but nervous, too. I shared those mixed feelings. I had no doubt that Bereyar would be a wonderful mother, just as she was the best of wives. If the child turned out to be anything like her, we would be blessed. The Empire would be blessed.

But I worried about how Bishkur would take it. His congratulations were hearty, and sounded sincere, but I saw his fingers twitch, nervously. That was totally unlike him. So I dragged him out on to a balcony, determined to find out what he was thinking.

- "Is this bad news?" I asked him, point-blank.

- "Of course not." he answered. "I am very pleased for you both." Bishkur was a terrible liar.

- "But this isn't necessarily good news for you - personally." I guessed.

He peered at my face. Then he decided to admit it. "It is possible that this may not be the most ... propitious eventuality. For me, that is."

- "How so?"

- "My mother and her advisors may decide that I am now ... superfluous. From their point of view. They may not need me for their future plans." said Bishkur.

- "What do you mean? You think -"

- "My mother has ceased badgering me to 'try again' with a virgin concubine. Why bother, when you can marry in my stead? If you can produce a child, she could just as easily rule through a minor as through me. More easily, in fact."

- "Is that possible? That your mother would decide that you're ... expendable?" I asked.

- "Very much so." he said. "That is why I have pushed for this wedding. To force her to show her hand."

- "Wait - you're saying that you proposed this wedding, knowing that it would put you in danger. And you really believe that your own mother would have you killed?"

- "Are you forgetting how my father died?" asked Bishkur.

- "But - you're her son. And there's the water project - no one else could carry that on. It would fall apart without you."

- "Neither she nor Opkor care for my project. It has already served its purpose, as far as they are concerned." he said.

I was shaking my head. "I can't believe it."

- "I will tell you this much, Carrach: if you see that your guard, Notroh, has been assigned to me ... then you will know: I am in immediate danger."

- "Notroh? Why?"

- "Because he is her killer."

- "Notroh?"

- "Devoted to her, and willing to do whatever she asks. He was to kill you, should the need have arisen." said the Emperor.

- "How - how do you know this?" I asked him.

- "She was unwise. In a moment of vanity, I suppose, she told me that she could have you killed, should 'the need' ever arise."

I shivered. "How many ... killers does she have?"

- "Only a few, fortunately." he said. "Most of the Palace Guardsmen serve her, but they also believe that in so doing, they serve me. She motivated many of them by claiming to defend me, on the Night of the Knives. So she cannot suddenly ask any one of them to kill me."

"Think on it: it must be someone who is prepared to kill, instantly, on her behalf. But she cannot ask anyone who does not already know about you ... to kill you. And only a handful are privy to the secret."

- "Opkor." I said. "Notroh. Enpy." But even as I said it, I couldn't see him murdering me.

- "Enpy?" said Bishkur. I had to explain that I didn't know the name of Notroh's partner.

"Beware also of Danud, the Captain of the Guardsmen." he said. "He is my mother's lover, as is Notroh. Either of them would kill us without compunction."

And I realized, then, that Bishkur was right. Yasina would have him killed. She didn't need him at all, if I could impersonate him, and produce the children that he couldn't. And then, once Bereyar had given me a son - or two, perhaps, just to be safe - then I would be equally expendable.

- "Wonderful." I said. "Do we have any friends?"

- "Some." he admitted. "It is best if you do not know, yet. But Carrach - do you trust me?"

- "Of course."

Bishkur fixed me with a steely glare. "This may be critical, one day soon. Do you trust me, Carrach?" he repeated. "One day, a person will tell you that their name is Sunflower. Do you understand? Sunflower. Whatever they tell you - comes straight from me."

- "Sunflower."

- "Our lives may depend upon it."

******

Bereyar suffered horrible morning sickness. She couldn't seem to keep anything down. Nonetheless, she tried to initiate sex several times. I refused.

- "I'm sorry." she said. "I wasn't thinking. It must be a nasty thought - the idea of kissing me after I've spent so much time throwing up."

- "No." I told her. "That thought never entered my mind." I kissed her, then, long and deep, to prove that I had no aversion. "But you are only offering to make love because you believe that I am incapable of going two days without sex."

- "Are you saying that I'm wrong?" she asked.

- "This time, yes." I held her, and comforted her.

- "I do have servants." she said. "Don't you have important business to tend to?"

- "You are my most important business." I said.

She smiled. "That's sweet. Go see a concubine - or two. Not at the same time, necessarily ... oh, you know what I mean."

After a week of constant puking, she settled into a sort of pattern, where she would be sick only two to three times a week. It might have been certain foods which set her off. Yasina was surprisingly solicitous - but then, her interest might have been limited to the baby's welfare.

But I understood Bishkur's point of view, as well. Bereyar's father was an important man in the Empire. His continued adherence could prove critical in the future.

I also felt that there was one important consideration which they were both missing. Bereyar was a wonderful person. Once the people of Zamarka got to know her, I firmly believed, they would come to love her. In fact, if it were up to me, I would have given her a more public role. The more people she came into contact with, the more people she would impress.

She was a highly intelligent woman, widely read and well informed. She was a lively, engaging conversationalist, and an attentive listener. I would frequently find myself wondering how this had happened: if I could have chosen a wife for myself, I would never have imagined that I could find someone like Bereyar. Or that a woman like her even existed.

When her morning sickness pretty much disappeared, Bereyar became insatiable once again. But there were several things occupying my mind at that time.

First, I made a stupid mistake. In an idle moment, I asked myself which one I would pick, if I had to choose between Minika and Bereyar. It was not a simple question.

I wanted to keep Minika away from the Palace, but when I envisioned a simple life, without Yasina or Bishkur, a strange image came to mind: Bereyar, in a simple hut near the river. Yet I also wondered if she would so dominate my thoughts after a few years.

Then I had to ask myself: how was I ever going to fashion a life which could include Minika? I wanted her near me, but not in the Palace. And I had less than a year to find a solution.

These were silly concerns, though. Especially when I found that Notroh was no longer my chief escort. There was a new man: a handsome, strapping young fellow who introduced himself to me.

- "My name is Merad." he said. "I will be your chief escort from this point on. Let me know if there's anything you would like me to do for you. I can pass on a message to the chief eunuch, or the Empress ... or if you'd like to me to help out with the concubines ..."

He smiled, to make it seem like a joke, but I disliked him instantly. Notroh had always pretended that I was the Emperor. Just in case someone overheard him, he always called me 'Highness'. But Merad obviously thought highly of himself. I didn't.

I asked Nanka about him, the next time I needed a shave.

- "Tahks more than you." she said. "Makes jokes, thinks every woman wants to fuck him."

I frowned. She was making him sound much like me.

"Not so nice as you." said Nanka. "He is the Empress' new boy. Bedroom boy."

- "Where is Notroh, now?" I asked her. "Do you know?"

- "He is Emperor's new guard." she said.

******

Merad rubbed me the wrong way almost every day. He was overly familiar, and acted as if he was my superior in every way except physical resemblance to Bishkur. When he hinted that he could help me keep my 'first wife' satisfied, I wanted to slap the smirk off his face.

But that was nothing, compared to what Bishkur must be going through. Whether by accident, or by design on the part of Opkor or Yasina, I had not seen much of him for a few weeks. When I did run into him in the Blue Hall, we only had time to exchange greetings.

- "You need to go home." he said.

- "But - " I was going to remind him that my father was dead, but he was well aware of that.

- "It is urgent, Carrach." he said. Then he could say no more, because Notroh was too close.

I didn't any more of a push. I sent Yasina a message - through Merad - asking for permission to go home.

- "Why?" said Merad, as if he was the person who would be making the decision. The urge to strike him was near-overwhelming. But that wouldn't help me at all.

- "I need to settle my father's affairs." I said. "Our house, and so on."

- "Hmmph." grunted Merad.

He did tell Yasina, though. I was called into the Empress' presence two days later.

- "What's this about your house?" she asked.

Yasina was no longer interested in me, except as a tool which served a few useful purposes. But I could not deny that she was still eminently desirable, especially when she dressed for effect - as she had don now. I stood through our brief interview with an erection.

But the time she made me wait to see her had given me the opportunity to concoct a plausible story.

- "It is sitting empty, Highness. It's not the money, especially ..." I said, in a tone of voice which would remind her that I was only an almond seller's son, and that it was all about the money. "But I worry that if the house sits there empty, people will wonder ..."

- "Your neighbors will talk?" she said. "Unless you sell it?"

- "That's it, Highness." I said.

- "How long will it take you to get rid of it?" She sighed. "You must understand, Carrach. You won't need that house. Your future is at the Palace."

- "I will sell it as quickly as possible, Highness. I have a contact who can take care of the whole business without me." I told her.

- "When do you need to go?" she asked, already losing interest.

Damn - when did I need to go? What day would Bishkur want?

- "It is not especially urgent, Highness. But the sooner the better, I suppose. Once the matter is settled, I won't need to bother you again."

That, apparently, was a selling point. "Fine." she said. "Three days from now. Merad will take you. And Carrach -"

- Highness?"

- "Your wife is pregnant. Don't neglect the concubines."

With that job done, I was in a quandary. How to tell Bishkur? He had always sought me out. I did not wish to awaken Yasina's suspicions by asking to see her son - especially when the intermediary would be ... Merad.

I took a risk.

It was probably unwise, but I could not think of a better alternative. I was being taken for a shave. That meant that I had the hood on. Merad was a few steps ahead, and Enpy a few paces behind.

I slowed down, letting Merad draw ahead. Then I turned, and spoke to Enpy. It was possibly the very first time that I had ever addressed him directly. I whispered.

- "How do I contact Bishkur?"

Enpy looked horrified.

- "What's going on?" said Merad, loud enough to make us all jump.

- "You need a shave, Highness." said Enpy. Then his face went blank. I knew, instantly, that he was not going to say another word.

Merad was annoyed. But he delivered me to the baths without further comment - or further incident.

Nanka was all business, as she had been of late. While she lathered my face, and began to shave me, I wondered what else I could have said to Enpy, to get a decent response. All he had said to me was 'You need a shave'.

And here I was, getting a shave.

I am no genius. I readily admit it. But I had to wonder if Enpy had been trying to tell me something.

- "Nanka?" I said. "How could I go about getting a message to Bishkur? Would you know?"

The little Roxoni didn't react. She lifted my earlobe, to slide the razor beneath it.

- "You tahk so much." she said. "Just say what you want."

Was that an invitation? Would she pass it on?

- "I am going home in two days." I said. "To sell my father's house."

- "That's nice." said Nanka.

*******

I went home, as Bishkur had asked me to. For the life of me, though, I couldn't see how this helped him. In a fit of paranoia, I wondered if my death would benefit him. But that made little sense, given what he had done recently.

Serim was in his usual spot. I dropped him a coin, and waited to hear what he would say this time.

- "May the sun shine on you today, Lord." he said.

- "And you, Serim." I replied.

- "Yes, Lord - but more on you."

I had no idea what that meant, but I couldn't follow it up, because Merad was hovering nearby. Unlike Notroh, he didn't lead our little party. Instead, he walked beside me, spewing an endless stream of chatter. It wasn't all bragging, but nearly all of his talk was about himself.

It meant that I couldn't risk a glance at Enpy, to see what he was doing. I had to suffer through Merad's monologue, wishing the hood I wore did more to muffle sound.

When we reached my house, he came to the door with me - which Notroh had never done. I halted, and just looked at him.

- "What?" he asked. "I have to make sure that it's safe."

- "You think that an assassin is hiding in my house? To ambush me?"

- "Unlikely - but I like to guard against even the most unlikely possibilities." he said.

- "If you say so." I replied. I opened the door.

To my complete surprise, Minika was there, a broom in her hand.

- "Well, hello." said Merad, as he caught sight of her. He gave every indication that he was going to enter the house. I moved quickly to get in before him.

Merad followed, a big grin on his face.

But the grin dissolved as he lurched forward. I heard a sharp, grating sound, then the end of a blade erupted from his belly.

Enpy pushed Merad into the house. "Close the door!" he said, quickly.

I just stared at him. Enpy had just stabbed Merad in the back, and pushed him inside.

- "Sunflower!" said Enpy. "Sunflower. Just do what I ask."

The word acted upon me like a magic spell. I instantly shut the door. Enpy pulled his blade free, and lowered Merad to the floor. The grating sound I had heard must have been Enpy's sword grinding against his victim's spine.

Enpy wasn't finished. He knelt beside Merad, and slit his throat for good measure. Finally, he wiped his blade on the dead man's cloak, and stood up, sheathing his weapon.

Minika still stood there, broom in hand. She hadn't screamed, or panicked - I suppose because she had seen me cooperating with the killer.

- "Who is this?" asked Enpy. "Is she safe? Can she be trusted?"

- "With my life." I answered.

AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,315 Followers
12