The Pandora Effect Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
boneams
boneams
740 Followers

Jake took caution as he made it to his feet and checked his flight suit. He pulled at the tattered rags and moved towards the others. His face was bleeding slightly, the most serious being a small gash above his left eye. In a protective gesture, he closed it and stood next to his new friends with a sense of pride.

"That was my first time taking on another werewolf," Jake said as he looked at the torn body of the Rashida Turk.

Kevin reached his hand out to his new brother. "We came out on top Jake, that's all that matters in that kind of fight."

The four men were so busy congratulating each other on a hard fought victory; they failed to notice the flickering eyes of Bashir Haddad. The dying man let his breath out with care so as not to draw attention in his direction. The searing pain in his chest was over shadowed by the sight of his mate lying dead on the cold cement floor.

"If we have to die, then these -- humans -- are going with us."

Jake saw it first as Bashir grabbed one of the canisters. He reached down to his thigh where his desert eagle should have been. He cursed himself as he palmed the empty holster. "Son of bitch is still alive!"

The other men were so surprised at the claim; they only had time to look at Bashir as he opened the lid to the container and sling it towards John and Garrett. John Henry Balch saw the device hurl towards them and instinctively placed his body between the canister and Garrett Brown.

Carl Werner swung the .60 caliber towards Bashir and pulled the trigger, releasing half a belt of ammo into the man's body lying on the floor. The four men stared on in horror as the open container smashed against John's back, spilling it contents.

Kevin held his breath as he darted towards the front door where his mask lay on the ground. With extreme torment screaming from his arm, he checked the straps and went to help John and Garrett. As he reached them, he stood behind Carl and Jake as they tried not to encounter the open vials that lay shattered on the floor.

Carl grabbed John and he winced from the pain in his back, as Jake grabbed his director and pulled him clear of the spreading virus. When they were clear of the broken glass vials, they laid the pair down and began checking them over. Kevin saw in an instant the new threat they all faced, as Garrett began to cough slightly.

"Adam, we have a problem here," he said as the team leader hobbled over.

Adam looked down at the two men he had come to trust with his life. John's mask had a large crack in it, while most of Garrett's face shield was shattered from the impact against the steel beam. The Navy SEAL knew the Director of the Special Activities Division was doomed to a specific fate, a fate that they all feared when they accepted this mission.

Adam grimaced as he knelt down. "Garrett -- Garrett can you hear me buddy?"

"You don't -- ugh -- have to shout. I'm -- ugh -- not deaf."

"Garrett, the virus is out. How do we stop it?" Adam asked with a hurried tone.

"And here -- ugh -- I thought you -- ugh -- SEALs were good." The sarcasm did little to lighten the strain Adam felt.

"Mediocre -- even on our best day buddy. How do we stop it?"

"Biggest fire ball you -- ugh -- you can make. Better hurry, this stuff is working -- ugh -- fast."

Adam began looking around for anything flammable. When he spotted some drums along the far wall, he ordered Carl and Jake to drag as many as they could, as quickly as they could, to the center of the warehouse. The two men raced to complete the task, as Dawson looked down at his medic.

"John, you okay?"

"Yep, like a new born -- ugh -- baby," John replied with a small cough of his own.

Kevin stared on in disbelief. He knew of John Balch's true self; a guardian angel. If Gabriel sent him to help the team recover the virus, then it shouldn't have any effect on him. Then it dawned on him, the angel that broke the rules of heaven by bringing him back needed a way out. He had to go back without anyone being suspicious of his real identity.

"John, we can get you out. Maybe we can find the cure before it's too late," Kevin said loud enough for everyone to hear.

"Did your -- ugh -- elevator get stuck between floors? Look on the bright side buddy -- ugh -- maybe I'll have a ship named after me," he replied with a short laugh as the drums of gasoline were placed near them.

Adam touched Garrett's shoulder and the fading man looked up. "You understand what's going to happen to you Garrett. I can't bring myself to shoot you or John. I just can't do it. I said I could, but I just can't."

"Less talk -- ugh -- more do." Garrett looked down at his hands as small white blisters began to form.

"Carl get the C-4 out and place it on the drums, use all of it and make it fast," Adam screamed.

"Boss, are you sure..."

"Hurry up before this shit gets out!"

While Carl reached into his backpack and began placing the thirty pounds of plastic explosive against the steel drums, Jake started pulling out the detonators and wiring them together. After everything was set, Jake ran the wire out a few feet while Carl reached in for the automatic timer.

"How long you want, Commander?"

"Two minutes."

Adam locked eyes with the dying men. "I'm so sorry guys, I wish I could..." Adam tried to say through a choked voice.

"One -- ugh -- favor," Garrett whispered.

"Name it, Garrett"

"Tanner Eason, punch -- ugh -- lights out."

It took all the will power he had to control his emotions as Adam's eyes filled with tears. "I'll make sure he doesn't wake up for a week, Director Brown."

John pulled his mask off and slightly coughed as he reached out and held Garrett's swelling hand. There was no fear in his eyes, no sense of impending doom, as he looked around at the faces of some of the bravest men he'd ever met, in any life time.

"You guys need to move out -- now," John said as he looked at his team leader.

"Carl?"

"We're set Adam, let me know when to start it."

"May God forgive me," he thought as the tears became too much to withhold. "Now."

The timer began counting down as Carl and Jake grabbed Adam Dawson and helped him towards the door. Adam turned his head and saw Kevin still kneeling next to the team's medic. As they stopped by the door, Jake pressed his mike button.

"Bravo, we're coming out. We need a hand with Dawson, he's hurt," Jake said.

"Hurry up Dvorska, clocks ticking!" Adam screamed.

With a hushed tone, he spoke to the angel who was done with his part of the mission. "John, after we leave, you have to show him. Let him know not to be afraid of where he's going."

"I was planning on it my friend. May God watch over you and your team," he whispered back.

"Tell Gabe I said hi and slap my dad for me," Kevin added, and then ran to the door.

After everyone went outside, the front door slammed closed, this left two men to face the end alone. Two members from Bravo, picked Adam up in a firefighter's carry and everyone sprinted as fast as they could away from the large warehouse.

Inside the doomed building, Garrett looked up at the SEAL medic. He wore a soft smile on his face as he looked back at him. As Garrett continued to stare into his peaceful blue eyes, a gleaming aura of radiance pulsed around him. Soon, it's loving warmth enveloped around both of them.

"What -- ugh -- what are you?"

"I'm a friend Garrett. You don't need to be afraid anymore, I'm here to help you go home."

"Ugh -- home?"

"Yes Garrett, you're going home." John ran his hand across the side of the dying man's head. A peaceful smile formed on Garrett's face, as he closed his eyes for the last time. John looked towards the heavens, as he heard the loud click of the timer.

"Welcome your children home Father," he whispered, as the orange heat engulfed them.

25,000 feet, one hour and thirty minutes out from Andrews Air Force Base.

The Air Force Colonel, Tony Richards, checked his charts, and then glanced up at the compass of the Gulfstream V. This was his fifth flight in the squadron's newest VIP aircraft and he made a mental note to let the ground crew check out the slight deviation. As he typed in some new coordinates, the sleek jet veered to the left a few degrees. His co-pilot, Major Richard Seems, sipped at the small cup of coffee as he scanned the sky.

"We should be within Andrews control area soon. This tail wind is helping us out a lot. I'm gonna stretch my legs before we get into final. You need anything while I'm up, Dick?" Tony asked as he unstrapped from the seat.

"No thanks Skipper; I'll get what I need when I get home tonight," he told the silver haired man as he tapped the bright photo of a dark haired beauty taped to the dash.

The Commanding Officer of the Presidential Airlift Group made his way out of the cockpit and headed aft. As he stepped through the small partition, his soft hazel eyes looked over the six men dressed in brand new camouflaged fatigues. When he first picked them up in London, he thought at first he was flying a medevac mission. All of them had some type of bandages or braces adorning their rugged looking bodies.

The obvious team leader had his leg stretched out while he played with the awkward brace with one hand, and held a cold bottle of beer in the other. A stunning blond haired woman in a sharp business suit sat next to him sipping a mixed drink.

He chuckled inside and thought of his own lovely bride waiting for him at home, as the woman slapped the SEAL in his arm and told him to stop. The older man across the aisle watched them with a smile, as he adjusted his arm in the bright white sling. He noticed the other passengers sitting quietly as they drank their beers and stared out the cabin windows.

"Commander, how are you and your guys holding up back here?" Tony asked as he leaned up against one of the wide plush seats.

"As well as can be expected I guess, how long before we hit Andrews, Sir?" Adam Dawson asked.

Tony checked his watch. "We'll be on final vectors in just under an hour."

"That sounds great. We're almost out of beer," Adam said with a smile.

Tony laughed at the remark, even though he knew they weren't drinking that much. He knew nothing about how the SEALs became injured, or even if they accomplished their task. His only orders were to pick them up and take them to Andrews for further transport. Although one particular phone call told him, the team was to be well taken care of during the flight.

"I'll see what I can do about pulling over at the next gas station," Tony said with a short chuckle.

Bob leaned over and looked at the seasoned pilot. "Excuse me Sir, who do we owe the special treatment to? I mean this is pretty upscale, even for you Air Force guys."

"What this old bucket? This is nothing compared to the 747 I usually fly. As far as who you thank, well I guess I'm like you guys. Keep your mouth shut and do you job."

"Um -- Colonel, when you touch down could you have the duty driver take us to pick up a van or something? I think we're all ready to just call it a day and sit around at the house," Adam said as he leaned back.

"There won't be a need for that Commander, there's transportation waiting for you when we get there. Orders are to take you and your men to Langley, and that's all I know."

The words hung in the air as Kristine joined the others in a long groan. "Jesus Christ, haven't we been through enough?"

Adam rubbed his eyes as the thought of another debrief ran through his mind. He and the others of Alpha and Bravo fire teams must have gone through the details of the firefight and subsequent explosion a hundred times. Once Kristine joined them a few days later, they all went over it another fifty. After two weeks of being poked, prodded, x-rayed, and questioned, he knew the others joined him in the annoyance at having to do it again.

Adam struggled to stand up, and then faced his fire team. "Alright settle down everyone. I don't want to go through this again any more than you guys do. Let's just get there, get it done, and get home. Any questions?"

Kevin leaned out into the aisle. "Yeah Boss, since you're up, can you get me another beer from the back?"

The Lieutenant Commander picked up his crutch and pointed at his werewolf friend. "How'd you like to practice a HALO without a chute Dvorska?"

Central Intelligence Agency Headquarters, Langley, Virginia.

Two black limousines pulled into the semi-circle drive and stopped in front of the large glass entranceway. Well-groomed men jumped out of the passenger seats and opened the doors for the battered assault team. As Adam labored to exit, he saw a young man pushing a wheel chair out to him. With his men assembled him, he felt a sense of pride and strode past the stunned attendant and into the building. Kristine held the door open as five Navy SEALs and one S.A.D. operative moved inside.

Adam made his way to the front desk and noticed the same incompetent guard was on duty the first time he met up with Garrett Brown at Langley. He could see the apprehension in Rich Woods' eyes as the confident SEAL leaned against the polished wood.

"I assume we're here for a debriefing, so if you scramble an assault team because you're nervous about us, you should know something first. I'm in a foul mood, and I'll shove this crutch so far up your ass, it'll take a surgeon a month to get it out," Adam said in a low gruff tone.

"Yes Sir, sub level two briefing room, Sir." Adam noticed Woods' shivered a bit at the harsh threat.

**********

Tanner Eason ruffled through the numerous after action reports of both SEAL teams and his own S.A.D operative. With the death of Garrett Brown, he knew he had to act fast in naming a replacement, and with a little guidance, one that would follow his agenda without thinking for himself. He was so engrossed with the reports and replacement names, the loud buzzing of the phone startled him.

"I thought I told you no interruptions," Tanner said with a callous tone.

"I'm sorry Sir. This is Woods at the front desk; the team just arrived and is waiting in the briefing room."

"Very well. Keep their rides at the front door, they won't be here long."

**********

Jake Newton had his head leaned back with his eyes closed. Quick visions of the last time he was in this room watching the film of the Pandora effect on a lab rat took over his thoughts. He could see his friends face, how he handled the room full of SEALs. He prayed that whoever replaced him, would have the same high level of achievement that his friend Garrett Brown had.

"Hey Boss, I don't want to sound agitated here, but how long are we going to wait before we say fuck it?" Carl asked as he shifted in his seat.

Adam checked his watch, and then looked at his weapons expert. "If they're not here in fifteen minutes Carl, we extract and find our own way home."

Just as Carl and the rest of Alpha fire team checked their watches, the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency, Tanner Eason, strolled into the briefing room. He carried with him a small stack of papers and a few pens. After setting them down on the table, he stood upright and smiled at the group who just saved the human race.

"Dawson, you and your men -- oh and wife -- did a fantastic job. We've been checking the area and there's no sign the virus survived the explosion. Although I wish you wouldn't have had to blow up a warehouse to do it, it all worked out in the end."

Adam glared at him with contempt. "We lost two -- very -- good men on that take down, and you wish we didn't have to blow up a building?"

"Don't take it the wrong way Dawson. We all feel the loss of Brown and -- I'm sorry what was your medic's name?"

"John, John Henry Balch," Adam replied as he felt his anger begin to rise.

"Oh yes, now I remember. Like I was saying, we all feel the loss of Brown and your medic, but in this line of work, we have to be realistic when we deal with acceptable losses. I'm sure you can appreciate the idea of -- for the greater good."

"Is that why we're here, to debrief you on the loss of two of the bravest men I've ever met -- for the greater good?" Adam clutched his fist repeatedly as the rage began to take over.

"This won't take long Dawson," he replied as he handed out papers to everyone.

"This is just a brief statement that I need you all to sign. In short, it states you won't discuss the facts of this mission or the knowledge of the virus with anyone. I don't need to tell you about security and all that, but regulations are regulations."

Jake leaned forward and placed his arms on the table. "Mr. Eason, with all due respect, these men know what secrecy is. Telling them to sign a piece of paper to keep quiet is like telling a monkey to eat the banana. They know what to do -- Sir."

"Yes I'm sure they do, but rules are rules Mr. Newton. By the way, after a few days off, I'm reassigning you to the armory. I'd feel a lot better knowing that someone as capable as yourself is taking care of the arsenal we have down there."

Jake looked on in shock at being removed from the S.A.D. Adam too was astonished at the turn of events and was about to voice his loathing for the manipulative politician, when he noticed the door start open.

Two brawny men dressed in well-fitted suits entered. They scanned the room with a trained eye and then moved to the side. All heads turned at the intrusion into the meeting, and Tanner Eason was about to voice his objection to being interrupted, when he stopped short and stared.

A tall man with light streaks of grey through his black hair entered the room. He had a stern look on his face as he looked down at the SEALs. The suit he wore looked tailored and fit the athletic man like a glove. His soft green eyes locked onto Adam Dawson as he stood between the other two men.

"Attention on deck!" Adam screamed.

The SEALs jumped up stood like statues as Kristine slowly rose to her feet. Everyone stared ahead as Kristine continued to look at the man in the doorway. When he darted his eyes towards her, she felt a small twinge of humbleness at the unannounced visit.

Tanner Eason, being the true manipulator that he was, couldn't pass up a moment like this. "Um -- Mr. President, what an honor it is to have you visit today. If I knew you were coming Sir, I would have met you when you arrived."

Henry Walker shifted his focus to his appointed Director of the CIA. He knew the man had political ambitions far beyond managing the agency, but if you wanted to keep an eye on your competition, you placed them where you could watch them. With a quick smile towards Tanner, he walked in and pulled an open chair out.

"Since you men look pretty beat up, I won't leave you at attention forever. Stand easy SEALs." They all stood loose with their hands tucked behind them as they watched the President take his seat. Once he was seated, only then did they join him at the long shimmering oak table.

"Well, well, well, the great Lieutenant Commander Dawson. It's a pleasure to finally meet you in person. I must say, your reputation precedes you."

"Thank you Mr. President, I think."

The President looked just to the left of him at the petite woman seated by his side. "I take it this is your lovely wife Kristine. It's a pleasure to meet someone with such capability, in such a small package."

"Um -- the pleasure is all mine, Mr. President."

"I don't mean to interrupt Mr. President, but I was just debriefing the men on the mission. I have to have them sign the confidentiality paperwork required for any member involved in a mission outside the agency," Eason said as he fidgeted with nervous anxiety.

"Oh I see, well rules are rules eh Tanner?" The President locked eyes with Adam again. "We can't have any -- misinformation -- leaking out to the public. What are your thoughts on that Mr. Dawson?"

boneams
boneams
740 Followers