The Project

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Do you still want to go?" she asked mischievously.

Steven groaned. "Please don't make this any more difficult than it already is," he begged. Julia reluctantly let him go. She said goodbye and watched him leave, yet again. Then she stripped off her dress and collapsed on the bed, smiling to herself. Tomorrow, she repeated silently.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Julia woke early the next morning with a pounding head. She staggered into the bathroom to get a glass of water and some aspirin, then went back to bed. Several hours later she woke up again. From the angle of the sun streaming in the window she knew it was late morning without even looking at the clock. She still felt groggy but at least the headache was gone. Julia had a nagging feeling she had something important to do today, even though it was Saturday. She sat bolt-upright. "Oh God," she groaned as the memories flooded in.

She remembered flinging herself at Steven like a shameless hussy. Briefly, she wondered if there was a chance he might not remember. But he hadn't been as drunk as her, so that was a long shot. She was going to have to explain that her behaviour was due to the alcohol. He was going to be crushed.

Julia padded into the kitchen and found her phone on the counter. It displayed three missed calls, from Mark, Ben and Steven. God, when did her life get so complicated? She had a shower and then some breakfast and then couldn't put off making the call any longer.

She dialed Steven's number. "Hi, it's Julia," she said, probably unnecessarily.

"Good morning," he said cheerfully. "How are you feeling?"

"I had a headache earlier but I'm better now, thanks," she replied.

"That's good. Hey, I was wondering if you were planning to go to the antique expo in Upper Hutt this weekend."

"Antique expo?" Julia asked.

"You must have heard about it. It is supposed to be the biggest collection of antiques for sale in Wellington."

"Oh, yes I remember reading about it weeks ago. I thought about going but forgot until now," she admitted.

"How about we go together, this afternoon," he suggested enthusiastically.

Julia hesitated. She did want to see the antiques but was worried things might be weird with Steven. "I'm not sure," she said finally.

The phone was silent for a while. Julia hoped he wasn't taking her reluctance too hard. She wished she could see his face.

"Come on, just as friends? We can still be friends, can't we?" he said hopefully.

"Of course we can," she said automatically. She made a snap decision then not to let what happened last night spoil things. He was a good friend, damn it. "Actually, I think that's a great idea. How about I pick you up at two?" she said.

"Great! But, uh, I was going to offer to drive."

"Do you have a hybrid?" she asked.

"No, I guess not," he conceded.

"Then we're taking my car," she said matter-of-factly.

"Ok then." Julia could hear the amusement in his voice. Still, he must be used to her controlling nature by now. She said goodbye and put down her phone in a much better mood.

Julia dressed in jeans and a casual top and left home a few hours later. She was so used to walking that she forgot it would be much quicker by car, and arrived at Steven's apartment at least fifteen minutes earlier than she said she would be. She parked on the curb and went and knocked on the door.

There was no response. "Hello?" she called out. A moment later Steven opened the door, breathless. He was dripping wet and wore only a towel around his waist. Julia's jaw dropped. He looked totally hot. His chest was muscular and lightly tanned. She suddenly remembered him saying he went swimming three times a week. It showed, he definitely had a swimmer's body. His abs were similarly well defined and a trail of dark blond hair disappeared beneath the towel.

She stared, unable to think of anything to say. "You're a bit earlier than I expected," he said apologetically. Julia nodded. "Um...yes. Sorry," she added. "Take your time though." He looked at her oddly but invited her inside. Julia decided to sit on the couch while he finished getting ready. He had a nice butt, too, she thought as he walked into his bedroom.

Julia finally admitted to herself that her attraction to him hadn't been caused by the alcohol at all. She wasn't sure how long it hard been there, but it was definitely there. And she didn't know what to do about it. He obviously wasn't a one-night-stand kind of guy but she wasn't sure she could give him more than that.

Sasha appeared and jumped up on her lap. "Hey, sweetie," Julia said affectionately. Steven had the right idea getting a cat, she thought as she stroked Sasha. Cats were much less complicated than humans.

Steven emerged a few minutes later. "I hope you don't mind if I wear a t-shirt, since it's the weekend," he said. Julia laughed. "Am I really such a control freak? I told you there's nothing wrong with your t-shirts."

"Ok, just checking," he said with an embarrassed smile. "Are you ready to go? Or would you rather stay and play with Sasha?"She smiled at the cat on her lap but pushed her off gently. "Sasha is cute, but I think I'd rather go with you."

Julia drove them to the event center in Upper Hutt where the antique show was being held. What happened last night was like an elephant sitting in the car with them, but Steven didn't bring it up and she wasn't going to either.

The parking lot was crowded. Most of the other people there were at least twenty years older than her and Steven but she didn't care. They paid the entry fee and wandered around checking out the vendors.

There were a few food stalls as well and Steven bought a bag of candied nuts to share (guaranteed non-antique). It felt completely natural so Julia linked her arm with Steven's as they walked. She discovered he wasn't really that knowledgeable about antiques, but seemed interested in learning more. She pointed out some of the periods and styles she recognised.

"Hey, that looks pretty cool," he said, pointing at a console table. Julia stopped and admired the marble-topped piece. It had ornately carved serpentine legs. "It's beautiful," she agreed. She checked the price tag and found it was surprisingly affordable as well. Apparently the marble top wasn't original but she didn't care. "I want it," she declared enthusiastically.

"You're going to buy it?" Steven asked, slightly disappointed.

"Oh, were you thinking of buying it yourself?" Julia asked in surprise. "Aren't you saving for your trip?"

"Well, yes," he admitted sheepishly. "But this wouldn't set me back too far."

"How about we toss a coin for it," Julia suggested diplomatically. But Steven shook his head. "No, I want you to have it," he insisted.

"Are you sure?" she checked. He nodded vigorously. "Alright but you can come and see it in my house any time you like, ok?"

They both grinned at the idea of visitation rights for a piece of furniture. Julia tracked down the vendor and put down a deposit to secure the piece. Then they carried on walking. "We should find something for you now," she suggested. "Are you looking for anything in particular?"

Steven shrugged. "I have space for a coffee table or a side table but I don't have anything particular in mind, no."

Julia spied something a hidden behind a pile of antique tools. "How about this?" she said. It was a small marble-topped side-table. "Actually, it would go well with the console table I just bought," she mused. Steven groaned. "Don't tell me you want this one as well."

"No, no," she patted his arm. "You can have this one. Assuming you actually like it," she amended.

"Yes, I do like it," he said happily. "And you can come and see it any time, too."

Steven bought the side table and since it was small enough to fit in the car, they took it home with them. On the drive home Julia reflected on how easy it was just being with Steven. The way his emotions showed on his face meant she never had to guess how he felt, and that was refreshing. She was starting to realise that she really didn't have any good reason not to get romantically involved with him, except for her irrational prejudice against younger men.

She parked the car outside his apartment and turned to look him. "Um, thanks for the ride," Steven said. He fidgeted in his seat but didn't get out.

"No problem," she smiled and patted his knee. Her touch was deliberately imbued with meaning. Steven looked down at the hand on his leg and she could see the wheels turning in his mind. "Yes, I am touching you," she thought silently. He must have understood the non-verbal signal because he leaned a little closer. Julia leaned closer too. She stared into his blue eyes and smiled encouragingly.

Steven kissed her on the lips. It was sweet and gentle and made Julia yearn for more, but at the same time she didn't want to rush and miss out on anything. He broke off the kiss and smiled shyly. "So, what now?" he asked softly.

She stared into his eyes and had difficulty thinking any further ahead than the here and now. Julia needed an excuse to spend more time with him. "How about you come to my place for dinner later?" she suggested finally.

Steven quickly accepted and agreed to be there at seven o'clock. She helped him get his antique table out of the car and then they parted, if only for a couple of hours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Julia stopped off at the grocery store to pick up some salmon steaks and fresh vegetables for dinner. Then she spent half an hour pouring over the contents of her wardrobe again. Not that Steven would really care what she was wearing. But she wanted to set the right mood anyway. She finally settled on a deep red stretch-knit dress. Then she put on some soft music and lit an incense candle.

At quarter-to-seven the salmon steaks were baking and she was just tossing the salad when there was a knock at the door. She smiled, thinking Steven was giving her fair return for being early herself. When she opened the door, however, it wasn't Steven.

She stared in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

"Hi, babe," said her visitor. "I was in the neighbourhood and thought I would stop by and see if you were home." He was tall, with strong, masculine features and a confident smile. Julia, however, was not impressed.

"You were in the neighbourhood?" she repeated incredulously.

His smile faltered. "Well, not exactly. I tried to call a few times but you never answered. So I caught the first available flight and here I am. I missed you," he explained sheepishly.

Julia was surprised at the effort he'd made, but also annoyed at his presumption. She was about to give him a piece of mind when he moved closer and touched her face affectionately. She couldn't even move away because the door frame was right behind her. At that very moment, she saw Steven walking up the front path. He stopped when he noticed the other man in her doorway. "Um...hi," he said uncertainly.

The other man's eyes narrowed as he scrutinized Steven. "Why are you bringing flowers to my girlfriend?" he demanded.

"Mark!" Julia hissed angrily.

But it was too late. Steven gasped in shock. "I'm sorry," he stammered. He dropped the roses on the path and ran away.

Mark watched him leave in bemusement. "Well, that was weird," he said to Julia. However, he was not expecting her furious reaction. She shoved him backwards. "Mark, I am not your girlfriend," she scolded. "You left me to go live in Sydney and you can't just turn up here whenever you feel like it. I've moved on."

"With him?" he asked in disbelief.

"Yes, with him," she snapped. "Now, please leave."

"Ok, ok," he held his hands up in submission. "If you're sure..."

"Mark, I told you on the phone two weeks ago it's over," she reminded him.

"I know," he said simply. "I just didn't really believe it until now. I hope you're happy with...whoever that was."

Julia softened as she remembered the good times she'd had with Mark. He wasn't right for her, she knew that now. But she still cared for him at little. "I think I will be happy," she said in answer to his question. "I hope you find happiness too."

Mark grinned. "You know me, nothing sets me back for long. Goodbye, Julia."

As Julia watched him leave she felt as if a chapter of her life was ending. But a new one was waiting for her. She picked up the roses and took them inside to put in a vase. Then she turn off the oven, blew out the candle, and grabbed her handbag.

When Julia got to Steven's apartment the lights were off and he wasn't home. So she sat down on the front doorstep to wait for him. Sasha appeared after a while and started winding around her legs affectionately.

"I think she likes you better than me," said a gloomy voice.

Julia looked up at Steven. "Hey, we were getting worried about you," she said.

Steven didn't smile but just stared at her with his arms crossed. "I really don't know what you want from me," he said coldly.

Julia got to her feet, desperate to explain. "Look, despite what he might have said, I'm not with Mark and haven't been for a while. He just turned up out of the blue."

Steven considered her explanation and nodded slowly. "Ok, I believe you."

She noticed he still wasn't smiling. "Then...what's wrong?" she asked hesitantly.

"I just can't understand why you would be interested in a geek like me," he said. "I mean, you could have anyone you wanted. Like mister perfect in that silver BMW," he added as an afterthought.

Julia moved closer and put her arms around him. "Steven, in case you haven't noticed, geeks have taken over the world in recent years. It's nothing to be ashamed of. And I don't want any other guy, just you. You're sweet and funny and smart...and have you looked in a mirror lately? You're hot too."

Steven started to blush. "Really?" he asked.

"Yes," she said matter-of-factly. "You have beautiful blue eyes, gorgeous hair, and very nice abs. And don't even get me started on your cute little butt."

"Stop, I believe you," he exclaimed, turning an even deeper red.

"I'm not sure if you do," she said dubiously. "I think you need more proof." She kissed him. He responded immediately and drew her closer. She deepened the kiss and her hands sneaked up under his shirt to explore his deliciously toned torso. He gasped and released her mouth so she started trailing kisses down his neck.

"Get a room!" yelled a teenager cycling past.

They sprang apart, both a little embarrassed. "I think that might be a good idea," Julia said with a smile. "Sure, um...your place or mine?" he said hesitantly.

Julia looked down rather pointedly. "I don't think you should be out in public view in your current condition. We'd better stay here," she said seriously. Steven was mortified and covered his groin with his hands. "I'm beginning to think you secretly enjoy embarrassing me," he said in exasperation.

"Well I think you secretly enjoy it too," she said smugly. "Now, are you going to invite me inside or not?"

Steven unlocked the door and they went inside. He offered Julia a drink but she shook her head. She kept her arms around his neck. "Thank you for the roses," she said softly.

"You're welcome." He kissed her forehead.

"You know what red roses symbolize, don't you?" she prompted him.

"Um...passion?" he guessed.

"That's right. The roses were effectively a promise, and I intend to collect," she said in a sultry voice.

"Oh," he swallowed nervously. Then she kissed him again. She was too impatient to hold back this time. She undid his shirt buttons one by one as they kissed. Then she smoothed it back from his shoulders and started trailing kisses down his chest. His skin was hot and smooth and smelled absolutely delicious.

"Oh god," he said when she got down to his belt. She smiled and stood up to kiss him on the mouth again. Then she took hold of his belt and pulled him down on to the couch on top of her. He adjusted to the new position and began to kiss the soft skin of her collarbone. His blond curls tickled her face but she didn't mind. Steven's hand hesitantly cupped her breast through the thin material of her dress. "Is this ok," he asked huskily.

Julia smiled at his consideration. "Yes, that's very ok," she murmured. She kissed him again and pulled him close, enjoying the weight of his larger body on hers.

Steven all but drove her to distraction with his gentle touch and enthusiastic kisses. Julia began to feel an unbearable ache in the base of her stomach and she needed him to touch her, now. She lifted a knee and her dress fell back, exposing a long length of thigh. She gently took his hand and placed it under the dress, on the waistband of her panties. Steven stared into her eyes and slowly explored the new territory.

His hand dipped between her legs and stroked her through the flimsy lace of her panties. Julia gasped in pleasure. She put slid her hands down his stomach but was frustrated to find his belt restricted her access.

"Steven," she said, trying to get his attention. He stopped what he was doing and quickly pulled his hands away. "Yes?" he asked nervously.

"Do you have any...um..." Julia was unsure how to complete the question without embarrassing him. Luckily he understood what she wanted.

"In my pocket," he replied huskily.

Julia reached into his pocket and found a condom. She raised her eyebrows. "Looks like someone was planning to get lucky tonight." Steven hung his head sheepishly. "I just wanted to be prepared for anything. You were very...affectionate last night. Not that I'm complaining, mind you," he added quickly.

"If you think that was affectionate, just wait until you find out what I have in store for you next," she promised in a sultry tone. Steven's eyes widened and breathed faster. "Let's move into the bedroom," Julia suggested. "Before we destroy Sasha's innocence."

Steven glanced guiltily at the cat, who was staring at them from the kitchen. He helped Julia up and led her to bedroom. He paused to close the door and then stood there, uncertainly. "Are you ok?" Julia asked gently. He nodded quickly. "I'm great. It's just...I might need a bit of direction."

Julia smiled. "luckily I'm very good at giving directions," she said. She approached him slowly until their bodies were almost touching. She gently undid his belt and then the button and zipper of his pants. They fell to the floor with a whisper of silky fabric. He was wearing white cotton briefs underneath. The fabric was straining to contain the impressive bulge of his erection.

She tugged the waistband of his briefs out and down and then he was completely uncovered. "Very nice," she said admiringly. Steven gasped and his erection twitched eagerly as she stroked it. He reached for her but she stepped backward and eluded his arms. She lifted her own dress over her head with one swift movement. Her bra and panties followed moments later.

Julia looked up to find Steven staring at her. "You're so beautiful," he said dreamily. She returned to his arms and there were no longer any physical barriers between them . His body was hot, hard, and delightfully responsive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 months later

Alcohol flowed freely and the catering was top-quality when Gensoft threw a party. The whole company celebrated the completion of the big upgrade. The CEO gave a short speech and personally thanked Julia for managing the project.