The Queens Maid

Story Info
A tale of the Renaissance French Court.
2.1k words
4.05
18.3k
2
0

Part 1 of the 4 part series

Updated 10/29/2022
Created 09/14/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Lucreace
Lucreace
59 Followers

They've been fighting again, there's a chill in the air despite the sun streaming through the open window. I'm sat with my back to the sun trying my best to concentrate on the cloth I am stitching. When the King and Queen fight, it's best for everyone else to stay out the way. Anne's face is a little flushed as she sits at her desk writing some letters, no doubt they'll be slating Louis to her friends back in Spain. It's something she does when they go through a spat like this.

I continue my neat little stitches with the two other ladies while listening to the scratches of the quill scraping against the paper. The scratch, scratch, scratch of her pen was almost as irritating as Maria's sniffing. Anne scrunches the letter into and envelope and looks around, "Constance!" she barks.

"Yes your majesty." I say putting my sewing aside and standing up.

"Take this to the post master." She said thrusting the letter into my hands. I drop a small curtsy and leave the room. I'm glad to be out of there if I'm honest, the heat was getting too much and I can sense an outburst from Anne at any moment. With a bit of luck she'll have calmed down before I return.

It's not far to the post master's office but I take the long route, a stretch of the legs is always welcome and I love how this dress feels against my skin. It's the blue satin one which I brought only last month. Anne thinks the colour becomes me and it's so soft and rustly. I'm so busy listening to the sound of my own movements I collide straight into one of the King's Musketeers.

His strong arms catch me and stop me from hitting the floor, my eyes meet his stunning blue ones for a brief second and I blush scarlet. "Are you alright?" he asked letting me free again.

"I'm sorry." I stammer, flattening my crumpled dress with my hands. I touch my hair as well; making sure it's still fixed in its curls. It wouldn't do to go back to the Queen looking dishevelled.

"Are you hurt?" he said again, trying to catch my eye. I can't look at his face, not with my cheeks this red but I raise my head a bit to not be rude.

"I... I'm fine, thank you." The letter! I glance about and see it lying between the Musketeer's feet. He glanced down and spotted the offending piece of paper and stooped to pick it up.

"This belongs to you?" he asked. I couldn't find my voice; I just nodded like a simpleton. "I don't know you do I?"

"No Monsieur, we have not been formally introduced. I am one of the Queen's hands." I said with a curtsy. My heart was pounding in my ears and my palms were damp. The way he looked at me seemed to leave my bare flesh on show for all to see, as though he could sense a small trace of mischief in my mind. I didn't have any and I didn't want him to run off with the Queen's letter. Why did I choose this way? Why didn't I head straight to the Post Master and back again like I was supposed to.

"Hoi! D'Artagnan, are you coming?" another musketeer called from along the corridor. The Captain Lieutenant looked up and gave a nod.

"Excuse me Mademoiselle; we'll have to continue this conversation another time." He took my hand in his gloved one and raised it to his lips. He handed the offending letter back to me before striding off to join his companion. I clutched the letter to my chest and fled away, eager to be as far away as I could get. Blood pounded in my ears and my legs were shaking as I ran. I didn't stop until I had reached the post master's room. I took a moment to compose myself outside the door before entering.

The post master is a quiet man, something I am thankful for as no doubt he would has asked about my flushed complexion. He took the letter from me with the ghost of a nod and I left again, heading back to the Queen's rooms the quick way. I wasn't going to run the risk of another encounter with the Captain-Lieutenant. Not twice in one day, the fright would kill me I'm sure. At least he hadn't tried to cross examine me or ask after the contents of the letter.

I made it back to the Queen's apartment to find Anne deep in conversation with Maria, there is nothing for me to do but pick up the sewing and carry on where I left off. "Welcome back Constance. I trust the letter was delivered unmolested" Anne said as I sat down.

"Yes Majesty."

"But you look flushed young lady, nothing untoward happened I hope." Maria asked

"No my Lady. I bumped into Monsieur D'Artagnan."

"The letter?"

"Was sent as requested Majesty. He asked me nothing; he handed the letter back to me and was called away." I explained.

"Why the flushed complexion?" Anne asked.

"I was scared of him."

"Of gentle D'Artagnan? Don't be a silly girl, he'd never harm you. He's been on my side for a while now." Anne said with that lovely smile of hers. "He knows you're one of my ladies." I let out a sigh of relief. I've been here a month now and things are still a bit new to me. I've tried to avoid being noticed by official people here. I've been warned that some people here are dangerous and keeping a low profile was high on my agenda. "Was he polite to you?"

"As a nobleman should be." I said.

"Then what are you fretting for?" she asked before turning back to Maria. He had been the perfect gentleman I thought as I picked up my sewing again and if Anne said he was safe, then it must be true. I trusted her so relaxed and lost myself in my needlework. I was working on a wonderful rendition of Arabian Nights in silk. It'll make a beautiful wall hanging when it's finished.

The rest of the afternoon passes without much activity and we're soon dressing for dinner. Or rather, helping Anne dress for dinner, her ladies don't change; just add a little perfume to the pulse points. The Queen was debating whether to have dinner in her apartments rather than the ballroom, since she'd quarrelled with the King but Maria, ever her advisor, suggested she should go. It would help mend any hurt done she'd said. So it was that I found myself seated on the low table with the other maids that night.

The King was very fond of grand affairs, it is well known throughout Paris and I admit, I do like to see the ladies in their fine dresses and the gentlemen all dressed up, Most of them I don't know and they're too busy being important to notice a little thing like me. Some of the men have asked after me but no more than a passing fancy. I am well-bred but not well enough for them to take anything from me. Francoise is sat with me and she's pointing out several people to me, as though they are the ones that matter the most in the world. I know she means well but I can't help but be a bit bored of her prattling. She's already told me three times that that Lord is chasing that Lady despite his being married to her over there. It seems that all she lives to hear about is the scandals that happen.

My father had warned me to stay away from such things and to conduct myself like a true lady. He had little money in the form of a dowry for a marriage for me so all I have is my chastity He had to use that to negotiate the best deal he could, which so far, was nothing. I shake my head out of reverie and turn my eyes back to the Queen. She's conversing with her husband while they share a plate of sweet delicacies. It seems like all is mended in that area, for the time being at least. I take a sip of the wine I have been poured and beg to take my leave. I'm tired and long for the calls of my own room. It's not my turn to wait up for her Majesty and help her undress so getting dismissed is an easy task.

The palace is a wonderful place and there are times when I walk around in awe of the beauty of the place. My rooms are on the other side of the building and I take it easy. The wine has made my head swim a bit and if I'm honest some fresh air would do me the world of wonders.

"Are you going to walk into me again?" I lift my head and smile. D'Artagnan smiles right back at me and the movement lights up his handsome face.

"Only if you wish it Monsieur." I reply. This time, I am not too afraid to look at the young man.

"Well well, she speaks!"

"I spoke earlier." I reply as he strides over to me. My, well, isn't he tall, I feel almost dwarfed with him so close to me, "Though maybe not so boldly, which is something you're going to have to forgive me for. I've had a glass of wine which has made me quite giddy." I say.

"And put a beautiful colour in your cheeks too I dare say."

"I don't doubt."

"Where are you running to at such a late hour? Shouldn't you be with your ladies?" he asked.

"I was on my way back to my apartment." I said gesturing down the hall, "I have drank a little too much I fear and wish to retire, although the thought of getting a breath of fresh air is a pleasant one as well. I had not made up my mind where to go yet, truly." I explain. I know I am rambling but can't seem to help it.

"I would be happy to escort you into the fresh night if you so wish it." He said.

"I'd like that." I nod and he lends me the crook of his arm. I slip my own through his and he leads me out the great palace doors and into the cool gardens. The large avenue of trees is well lit and there are a few other walkers around as well. Anne was right, he is a safe person to be with, and handsome as well! I slip side long glances at him as we walk along which he pretends not to notice.

"Will you tell me your name?" he said as we round a bend in the path.

"Constance," I tell him. He gives me a smile that reaches his eyes and stops walking.

"Is this far enough?"

"Yes. I should get back before I am missed, people will start talking if they know I'm missing from my apartments. I don't want to be a part of a scandal." I explain.

"I'll slay anyone who calls into question your honour. I shall not have it said that this little walk in innocence is anything more than what it is." He said, a frown crossing his high forehead.

"My mind shall rest easy knowing I have you to defend my honour." I said.

"So, where do you come from?" D'artagnan asked as we walked back.

"I have family in Rouen and that is where my parents are and indeed, where I grew up before being sent here." I reply. "I miss my home."

"And you're family too I'm sure but Paris has its merits too no?"

"It has beautiful gardens and good company but nothing will ever be the same as my home. Do you not agree? This place does not hold the same memories and happinesses." I said.

"But there is time to make new memories." He said with a smile which reached his eyes.

"Yes." I agreed, we'd reached the entrance to the palace again and D'Artagnan led me back inside.

"Are you feeling better my lady?" he asked.

"Yes, my thanks for escorting me outside."

"Will you be all right getting back to your apartments?"

"Yes, thank you again. I feel much better for the walk and the company." I say with a smile, it's not flattery either, I do feel much better.

"Then I shall take your leave." He said, brushing my hand against his lips. His moustache tickled my fingers and a giggle escaped me. He inclined his head before walking off down the corridor. I watched him go despite myself before turning and heading back to my own rooms.

Lucreace
Lucreace
59 Followers