The Reluctant Duchess Ch. 04

Story Info
Sophie and Mark struggle with their futures and each other.
9k words
4.7
6.1k
3

Part 4 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/27/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Part 4 of a Hallmark-style romance reimagined for Literotica. Reading the prior chapters will certainly help you understand what is going on. The story is complete, and each of the seven chapters will be posted a few days apart. Thanks for reading.

After breakfast the next morning, Sophie and Mark dressed for a mountain walk. Although it was a warm day in the capital, up in the mountains, the morning was cool. They dressed in shorts, and in layers so that they could remain comfortable as the day warmed up. Mark couldn't help but stare at Sophie's legs, and, to be fair, Sophie was doing the same to his.

As they walked and admired the beautiful scenery, Sophie told Mark that the mountain lodge was her favorite place in Klippenberg. "When we would come here, Father would relax, and play with us. He wasn't worried about his work so much. And even Mother would stop nagging me about every little thing. My brothers and I would run around, playing games, and rolling in the grass. Until we got too old to do that."

"It must've been fun. My family didn't have a regular vacation place, although we sometimes took a summer vacation at the beach. But it definitely wasn't the same as this."

"Nothing about my childhood was normal. Which is why I loved being in New York. Most people didn't know about my family, and those who did, couldn't have cared less."

Mark enjoyed the walk. The views were beautiful, including that of Sophie's ass as she led him on the trails, he was learning more about her, and he was getting the chance to stretch his muscles after some strenuous sex.

After about a half hour, Sophie led him to the door of a large wooden building that looked like a barn. Mark could see a number of other buildings behind it, and smelled the unmistakable aroma of cows. Striding confidently to the front door, Sophie rang the cowbell that served as a doorbell. After a few seconds, the door opened, and a fit, white haired man in his 60's wearing overalls, stepped out. Seeing his visitor, he man smiled broadly, "Soph—um, I mean, Grand Duchess, what a pleasant surprise!"

"Please, Gustav, enough of that. Sophie was always good enough."

"Then Sophie it is. It is so good to see you again." He paused. "And who is your friend?"

Mark stepped forward. "Mark Hausman, sir." He stuck out his hand, and shook the older man's strong, callused hand.

"Oh, please. If I can call this young lady 'Sophie,' then I insist you call me 'Gustav.' Gustav Kraemer at your service." He bowed, theatrically.

"OK, Gustav. And I'm Mark."

"Of course. Now, please, come this way." They walked into the building, which appeared to be a large farmhouse, recently renovated but still retaining its charm. "Anna and the kids will want to see you, and, actually, we have a few surprises for you." He turned and yelled, "Anna, Liesl, Karl, Josef, come out now and see who is here!"

A stout woman with graying hair in a long ponytail, came from the rear of the house, followed shortly by two men, clearly brothers, one older than the other, but both blonde and strong looking, and a woman, who looked like a younger version of Anna, holding a baby. All were dressed in work clothes.

After the introductions of Anna, Gustav's wife, and their three children, and the requisite demand from Sophie that they forgo her honorific, the family members were excited to see Sophie for the first time in years. Josef, the youngest, looked to be a little older than Sophie and Mark, and it seemed to Mark from the way that they interacted that he and Sophie must have been friends when they were younger.

"And now, Sophie, our first surprise," Gustav stated. "Liesl, please introduce your daughter to her namesake."

Sophie's head whipped around from Gustav to Liesl, to the child, swaddled in a blue and white blanket.

Liesl stepped forward and offered the child to Sophie, who gingerly, and inexpertly, took the bundle and held it uncomfortably. "Sophie, I'd like you to meet little Sophie Vollmer. Hans and I named her after you," she said, somewhat bashfully.

Sophie was taken aback momentarily, but then she realized how common it was for Klippenburghers to name children after the ruling family. There was a whole generation of Franzes and Charlotte Maries in the country, and now the name "Sophie" would be ringing out in preschools and playgrounds before long. Assuming she didn't embarrass herself, or abdicate.

She looked at the beautiful newborn, and said, "Thank you, Liesl, I'm honored and touched."

Liesl was bursting with happiness. She reached into her pocket and took out her phone. "Would you mind if we took a picture together? When my Sophie grows up, it will be something to show her."

"Of course, Liesl. Mark, would you mind?"

"Sure." He reached for the camera, and then posed the two women, with Sophie holding the child, and clicked off a few shots. He then motioned the whole family into the picture, and took a few more.

"Now, come with us to the tasting room," Gustav insisted, as he led them through the house, out a side door and into a smaller building painted the same brown color as the house. Inside was a table, surrounded by chairs, and the most delicious cheesy odor that Mark had ever smelled.

After insisting that the guests sit, Gustav sent his eldest son out, and Karl returned holding four small wheels of cheese.

"As you may remember, Sophie, we used to make two cheeses, one aged more than the other."

Sophie nodded. "I remember how the aged cheese was too strong for me when I was young, but when I got older, I realized how good it was."

Gustav smiled. "Thank you. Anyway, Karl suggested a few years ago that we expand to four levels of aging, and just as we were getting ready to market, the new suggestion came from the Trade Ministry to market Klippenberg cheese as a luxury item, so it worked perfectly for us."

Sophie didn't take credit for the idea, although she was pleased that Gustav liked it.

"Now, Sophie, Mark, please do us the honor of tasting our youngest cheese—almost fresh, actually."

Karl cut of a piece of the first wheel, and the cheese was white and soft. They both tasted it, and it was delicious.

"That's so good, Gustav. Bright and fresh, and you can really taste the sweet milk."

Karl looked very happy at their reactions.

Josef handed both of them glasses of water to cleanse their palate, but looked bored. If Sophie recalled, he was more interested in caring for the cows than cheese making.

"Now, try the second cheese," Gustav offered as Karl distributed a taste. It was slightly yellower, and a bit firmer than the first.

"I like that, Gustav," Mark said, "It's a little more complex than the first."

"Exactly, Mark, because it has been aged a little longer."

After another glass of water, they sampled the third cheese, which was pale yellow and firm, and again, Sophie and Mark were impressed. But it was the final offering that was truly special. Deep yellow and firm, almost like parmesan, but with a complex taste that was unlike anything either Sophie or Mark had ever tasted.

"That's extraordinary, Gustav," Sophie stated, while Mark nodded his agreement.

"Karl gets all of the credit, Sophie. He's far surpassed my skills."

Karl, both embarrassed and proud, said, "Thanks, Dad. I had a great teacher."

"Not to mention your university classes," his father responded.

"Those didn't hurt," Karl admitted with a shrug.

"Now, Sophie, we are planning on calling the young cheese, "The Young Duke," the second cheese "The Duke," the third one, "The Grand Duke--"

"In honor of my father and brothers?" Sophie interrupted in a soft voice.

"Yes, my dear. We miss them so much."

"And what about that extraordinary cheese?" Sophie asked.

"We want to call it 'The Grand Duchess,' in your honor."

Sophie's eyes were filling with tears. "I would be proud."

Gustav let out his breath having gotten Sophie's approval. Although he was going to use those names anyway, it would have been rude not to have gotten the Grand Duchess' approval when she was sitting in his tasting room.

"In fact, Gustav, let me check with the Trade Minister to see whether or not you could put something on the label, like 'supplier to the Grand Duchess of Klippenberg' or something similar. Because I'm going to need more of those cheeses."

Both Karl and Gustav looked very pleased—in fact the whole family seemed pleased, except for baby Sophie, who started crying.

Soon after, Sophie and Mark, their backpacks now filled with cheese, said their farewells and headed back to the trail.

They walked in silence for some time, each lost in their own thoughts, until Sophie turned off of the main trail, and down a less travelled path that headed downhill.

"Where are we going, Sophie?"

"You'll see. Another one of my favorite places. And I really think you'll like it."

From the tone of Sophie's voice, and his knowledge of her personality, Mark expected that they'd soon be having sex somewhere, a prospect that he relished.

After heading downhill for a while, the trail opened into a clearing, with a large natural pool. Despite the fact that the air temperature was comfortably warm, Mark could see steam rising from the water, and there was a slight chemical smell.

"What is this?" Mark asked.

"A thermal pool," Sophie responded. "They have them all over the mountains, but in Klippenberg, we only have small ones like this, so they never became resorts, like in Germany or Switzerland." She began to take off her shoes and socks, then her shirt. Despite having seen Sophie naked many times, there was something about a sexy woman in a sexy bra that was mesmerizing. She stopped undressing and said, "Mark, what are you waiting for?"

"Is this safe? I mean, can't anyone just walk by?"

Sophie laughed, her eyes flashing. "First, Mark, have you seen anyone else out here during our hike?" Mark shook his head. "Second, this is on, um, I guess, my property, and the few families around here know not to visit when anyone is staying at the lodge. Otherwise, we have no problem with them using it."

"You didn't tell me to bring a suit," Mark noted.

"That's right," she said, smiling, as she took off her bra, exposing her pale, firm breasts, before beginning to remove her shorts. "On purpose."

Mark quickly began stripping off his clothing, until he, too was naked, his hard cock sticking out.

Sophie eased herself into the water, until all he could see was her head. Mark followed, surprised at how hot it was, but once he got used to it, the water felt incredible against his skin. Sophie, in the meanwhile, had gone under the water and swam across the natural pool. He watched as she turned and emerged from the water, mesmerized as it flowed over her head and body. Mark knew that Sophie wasn't the most beautiful woman in the world, but at that moment she was, to him, irresistible and whatever feelings he had for her solidified. He knew that he would never tire of being with her, and looking at her—naked or clothed.

Mark watched her as she approached, stopping short of running into him, and she stood before him in the shallows, and they embraced and began kissing.

Sophie had seen the look in Mark's eyes, and she knew that he had developed strong feelings for her. In the past, when she had seen that look in a man's eyes, she shut it down and ran. But today, she had no interest in doing so. To the contrary, she reached for his hard cock and tried to position it where it would do both of them the most good. But she was too short, so she led Mark further into the steaming pool before putting her arms around his neck so that he could easily slide inside her.

The water was warm, but that didn't stop Mark and Sophie from frantically fucking each other standing in the pool, until Mark, unable to hold back, came hard. Sophie, who wasn't quite there yet, whimpered slightly, as Mark's softening penis slid out. Continuing to hold her with one hand around her back, Mark took his other hand, reached between her, and found her needy pussy, and began to rub her clit until she screamed out in pleasure. Mark held the gasping Sophie against him until her breathing returned to normal, and his arms began to tire. Gently releasing Sophie from his grasp, he let her hold on to him while he shuffled closer to the edge of the pool, where Sophie could stand.

"This is now one of my favorite places too, Sophie."

She smiled at his predictable, but sweet comment, kissed him on the nose, and pushed away, backstroking toward the center of the swimming hole.

When she returned, Sophie indicated that it was time to leave.

"We don't have any towels, Sophie."

"True. Look, just use your sweater or something to wipe off. We'll dry off on the walk back to the lodge, and we can shower and put on fresh clothing when we get back."

They returned to the lodge, and after a long shower in which more than cleaning took place, they sat on the porch, overlooking the valley below, drinking a crisp local wine, and sampling some of the cheese they had been given earlier in the day.

"This has been an amazing day, Sophie," Mark said.

"Agreed," Sophie replied, taking a drink of wine.

Mark took a drink, started to speak, stopped, drank again, started to speak, then stopped.

"What? Spit it out," Sophie demanded.

"OK," Mark started slowly, "I need to ask you a question."

Sophie worried that this was going to be the "relationship" question, which she wasn't ready to answer. "OK. But I don't promise that I'm going to answer."

That response didn't give Mark much confidence, but he decided to push forward. "Why, um, why would you ever want to give this up?" he asked, waving his arm to encompass not only the lodge, but the valley below.

Feeling her anger rise, Sophie tried hard to keep control. She found herself really liking Mark, and didn't want to scare him away with her anger. Taking a breath or two before answering, she replied, "First, I'm not sure that I will. But I don't want to stay as Grand Duchess just because it gives me access to this great place, or the palace. Honestly, even if I weren't Grand Duchess, I have enough money in my own name to live very, very well."

Mark nodded, "That makes sense."

"Thanks," she replied, with a hint of sarcasm. "But I have two big reasons for strongly considering abdicating. One isn't selfish, but I know the other is. I really worry that I'm not going to do a good job. My father, my grandfather—all of my ancestors—have done great things as Grand Duke or Duchess, and I worry that I can't live up to that. And second, I really liked being just a normal woman in New York. Yes, a privileged, rich woman, but those are a dime a dozen in the City. Here, I'm always under a microscope, and I can't be myself." She paused and emptied her wineglass, refilling it from the chilling bottle.

"I get it Sophie, I really do, but can I respond?" Mark interpreted her silence and facial expression to mean, "Yes, but be careful," and he tried to choose his words carefully. "First off, you sell yourself short. Not only are you smart, but I know that you must have smart people surrounding you. I mean, if you have Karin fucking Baumann on your team, you must. And you can rely on them as you get up to speed, right?"

"People keep saying that, but I'm the last word on everything."

"That doesn't mean you don't listen to your trusted advisors. And you can work hard—even take classes online if you feel like you have to learn something."

Nodding, Sophie replied, "OK, you've made your point."

"And as for the second part, I know that sucks. But sometime life sucks."

Sophie felt herself getting warm. "What the fuck do you know about my life?" she replied sharply, her anger at Mark's presumption increasing.

"Specifically, not much," he replied, aware that he was treading on thin ice. But as attracted as he was to Sophie, he knew that he had to get these issues on the table, or they would always be hovering in the background. "But," he continued, "my family didn't come from much—my grandfather ran a small restaurant in our town that had been started by his father. My father, though, wanted more. He worked his way through college, and was in his first year of law school when my grandfather died. In the restaurant during the dinner rush."

"I'm sorry."

"It happened before I was born, so I never knew him. But there was no one to run the restaurant. My aunt Natalie was married and lived in California, and my uncle Will was already settled in his career. My dad considered selling the business, but all he got were lowball offers from companies that wanted to take advantage of the situation, and put in some crappy chain restaurant. So, he quit school, and he and my mother took over the place."

"And that relates to me how?" Sophie spat out.

Mark remembered that Sophie could be spoiled and immature, but he kept going, because of his strong feelings for her. "Because my father and mother had almost no understanding of what it took to run a restaurant. Dad had worked there as a kid, but only as a waiter, and mom was studying to be a teacher. Neither of them wanted to do it, but they stepped up. Like you, they had to rely on their managers and staff, and they read books about restaurant management, and accounting, and whatever the fuck they needed to learn. And they not only kept their heads above water, they ultimately improved the place, expanded it, and turned it into a destination restaurant. And made a good enough living to send me and my sister to college."

Sophie looked at Mark with a blank look. "Are you trying to compare running a fucking small town restaurant with being a Grand fucking Duchess of a whole country?" Sophie yelled. "Who the fuck do you think you are, Mark?"

Stunned by the ferocity of her response, Mark's temper finally exceeded his ability to keep it in check. "Who the fuck do you think you are, Sophie? Poor little rich girl who won't take any responsibility, and just wants to spend her life partying? You know, most people have to fucking work for a living, and lots of them don't love their jobs. But they do what they do because they have to."

Sophie was dumbstruck. No one, other than her mother, had ever spoken to her so harshly. And she never expected it from Mark, of all people, who seemed like a nice, level-headed guy who was really into her. But apparently, he had lines that could be crossed, too.

Mark took a breath. He knew that he had blown it with Sophie, but realized that this fight would have happened at some point, so it was better to have it now, before he got too deeply in. His adrenaline left him, and he continued, softly, "Y'know, Sophie, I really, really like you. I want to be with you. But I can't, like this. And, anyway, you've made it abundantly clear that you aren't looking for the type of relationship that I am. So, look, I'll stay tonight in one of the other bedrooms, and get a commercial flight home in the morning. And we can both move on with our lives. I wish you luck, whatever you do."

Sophie was surprised at how sad she felt about the fight and about Mark wanting to move on with his life. She really had enjoyed the last couple of days, and not just because of the sex. She had precious few friends, and somehow Mark had become one of her closest. As Mark rose from his chair, and began to walk away, Sophie called out. "Mark, wait, I'm sorry." But he ignored her and headed toward one of the many other bedrooms in the lodge, despite the fact that it was not even dinner time.

*

Hours later, Sophie walked through the dark, quiet lodge in her nightgown, her bare feet padding quietly on the hardwood floors and rugs. Hoping that Mark's door wasn't locked, she was pleased to see that the knob turned, and she opened the door. There was enough moonlight coming through the window that she could see Mark, shirtless, sleeping on his stomach. On the table to her left, she could see the tray of dinner that she had arranged to have delivered to him. The meal that chef prepared had been delicious, although she didn't enjoy a bite as she ate alone, watching a video on her phone. She realized, once her anger subsided, what Mark had said did apply to her situation, and she also realized that her constant complaints that she wanted to be treated like everyone else rang hollow when she tried to lord her position over Mark. And, she realized that, maybe, she wanted to explore a real relationship with him, and hoped she hadn't messed up her chance.