The Rescue Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"No it's not and I'm sorry but it's still bleeding and I'm afraid that being out here, it could become infected," She explains.

"I was just kidding. Go ahead and do what you've got to do but so help me if you look like you're enjoying my pain..."

"I won't be, I promise," She tells me while she sterilizes the needle. "Okay I'm going to start, look away."

"Its fine I can take it."

"Well I can't, so please look the other way."

I do as she asks and before long I feel the needle pierce my skin. A groan escapes my lips despite my best efforts to keep quiet. "We were friends Kenny, maybe we could have been more but I didn't let that happen. Looking back maybe I should have, I don't know," She hesitates for a moment.

"Wow, you're good. Guess I can't get away from talking about it now huh?" I tell her.

Quickly she finishes with the stitch and dabs tenderly at the blood that flowed free.

"You're right, that wasn't very fair and I'm sorry I hurt you," she tells me not letting on as to whether she means just now, back then or both. I almost ask her but decide against it because I still have to get us out of this place.

"At least I didn't pass out on you," I tell her as she begins to bandage me back up. "I can't imagine you dragging my butt another mile or so to the dock."

"I'd try it you know, dragging you to the boat. I would find a way. I wouldn't leave you here."

"Even when you're told to," I remind her.

"You're just lucky that I have a soft spot for old movie lovers. I mean who else but you could play Bogart to my Bacall?" She asks.

"When your head says one thing and your whole life says another, your head always loses," I tell her quoting a line from Key Largo.

She gives me a wry grin. "You know Steve, you're not very hard to figure, only at times. Sometimes I know exactly what you're going to say. Most of the time. The other times... the other times you're just a stinker."

I have to smile at her Bacall line from To Have and Have Not.

"I really missed you." I confess aloud for probably the first time. A look crosses her face and I can't tell if it's one of happiness or sadness.

"Of course you did. What's not to miss?" She says trying to play it off as a joke but I get a strange vibe when she says it but tell myself the either the heat's getting to me or the bullet holes in my shoulder are starting to mess with me.

"Help me get my shirt back on Slim, we've got a boat to catch."

We arrive at the dock the boat captain is there waiting for us. "It is good to see you back with us my friend," He says in Arabic as he helps us onboard.

"It is good to be back my friend though I am a little cross with you that you did not honor our agreement when you came to get her." I answer in Arabic.

He notices my grin and chuckles. "Had you told me what a handful she was going to be I would have come better prepared. As it was, I was unsure I would survive the journey back if I tried to force her onboard," He says and takes her hand. "Welcome aboard my dear, it is nice to finally say that."

Michelle looks at me confused but smiling.

"He says that he's happy you finally agreed to come aboard and that I should have warned him about you the first time," I explain to her.

She laughs. "You should have."

"She agrees that I should have warned you too. Who knew that she could be a tiger when she wanted?"

He chuckles and nods.

"Guess I should have learned the language huh?" Michelle says.

I nod. "Mandinka is a tough one and even I didn't speak Wolof like the villagers so don't feel too bad about not learning one. You had a lot of other things going on so it's understandable. He welcomed you to his boat and wants you to make yourself at home."

She smiles at the old man and shakes his hand. "Thank you."

"Welcome," He says using the just about the only English word he knows.

We settle in for a long boat ride up the Gambia back to civilization. While Michelle goes to the cabin to rest I stand vigil with the captain just in case we run into any militia on the river.

"The harbor is not in a good state right now. The government and militia are still fighting for control. We will have to be very cautious," he tells me.

"If it's easier to drop us off elsewhere..." I begin to tell him but he stops me.

"Too dangerous with all the fighting going on. Once we get docked head for the center of town, the government controls it and things are normal there," He explains.

"Mr. Voss's man, should we try and meet up with him?" I ask.

He shakes his head. "You can try it but if I were I would just go and make arrangements once you are out of Senegal."

I nod not exactly liking the plan but if what the captain says is true, I don't have much choice in the matter.

The harbor is in more turmoil than I thought it would be as militia gunboats and the government's Navy are doing their level best to blow up everything that's on the water. Neither seem too worried about where their errant shots are landing either.

"What the hell is going on?" Michelle asks crouching down in the doorway of the cabin.

"Government's fighting the militia for control of the harbor. They must have heard about Ballo so they're striking now," I tell her as a spray of water from a nearby explosion hits the boat. I turn to the captain. "Can you make it?"

He laughs. "I was dodging pirates in these waters when these men were in short pants."

"What'd he say?" Michelle asks.

"He said to hold on to something!" I tell her.

The old captain turns the wheel hard to the right, then back to the left dodging a firing militia boat just before it explodes in a fireball from the rounds of a government gunboat. I'm not sure if its skill, luck or just plain insanity but the old boat captain makes his way through the fighting with us taking no damage. He's even whistling a jaunty little tune as he pulls to a stop at the docks. Everywhere around the docks people are fleeing in all directions but he's just smiling as Michelle and I make our way off the boat. He shakes my hand and accepts a hug from Michelle before wishing us well and getting his boat the hell out of the war zone. I look around hoping to spot Mr. Voss's friend but with the pandemonium I just grab Michelle by the hand and we dodge through the crowded streets trying to escape the heaviest of the fighting. Finally we manage to find a relatively safe area where even the street vendors are still selling their wares.

"Who said that you don't know how to show a lady a good time?" She jokes as we pause a moment catching our breaths.

"Let's just get out of here before someone else decides they want to shoot at me," I tell her.

We grab me a new shirt from one of the vendors since I bled on the last one and Michelle a change of clean clothes, which we put on despite being unable to find a place to shower off first. We use the public rest rooms available and wash the grim off us as best we can. I look in the mirror and check over Michelle's handiwork with my stitches while I have a moment.

"Not a half bad job," I think. "Definitely better than I thought they would look considering what she had to work with."

I meet her at the door and as we head back into the crowd she tells me.

"I'd kill for a shower, just so you know."

"Me too and something to eat."

"Damn, you had to mention food didn't you?" She asks.

As we start to pass a phone booth she pulls me towards it. Before I can ask her what she's doing I see that she's pulled the phonebook out and is trying to read it.

"Don't lie to me and tell me that you can't read this."

"I can read it."

"Good. Nearest doctor, clinic or hospital," She states handing me the book.

"Michelle, I'm fine. Really," I tell her.

"You're getting checked out by an actual doctor Kenny; now tell me where we're going," She says.

There's a look in her eyes tells me not to argue so I quickly scan the yellowing pages.

"There's a medical clinic... looks like its two blocks up and maybe one block over," I tell her. She nods and takes hold of my hand.

"Just to make sure you don't try and run on me," She tells me.

I'd tell her that I wouldn't think of leaving her in a foreign country to fend for herself but I like the feel of her hand in mine.

We make our way through the crowded streets towards the clinic.

Alex and Addison are sitting out on her balcony overlooking the beach. Having just finished a late lunch Alex sighs as he stares out at the ocean.

"Tell me what's wrong Alex," She urges him.

"I used to think I was a pretty patient guy but this waiting around is getting to me," He admits to her. "I feel like I should be doing something, anything to help get them home and I can't. It's killing me."

She reaches across the table and holds his hand. "I know how you feel Alex. I'm used to things happening just because of how rich we are but now that I'm faced with a problem that money can't solve I'm pretty much helpless."

He squeezes her hand. "You're not helpless Addison, you got Ken involved and at least for now we know that Michelle's alive and somewhat safe."

"Yeah, I got Kenneth and he got hurt. That's my fault."

"No it isn't your fault. He knew what he was getting into when he left and none of us were going to stop him. He's still in love with her; he'd have done anything to get over there."

"What do you meant that he's still in love with her?"

"Isn't it obvious? I mean he still wears that damn shark tooth necklace that she gave him and he has that picture of them hanging up on his boat. He says he's moved on and all that but you can't move on with constant reminders of the one that got away all around you," He explains.

"I saw the picture when I went to tell him. It almost broke my heart to see it there with her looking so happy and then me having to tell him that we thought she was dead."

"You just have to remind yourself that she isn't dead. She's alive, she's with Ken and he's trying to get her the hell out of Africa I'm sure," He tells her.

She nods and leans over kissing him tenderly.

"I know but until I see her smiling face and hug her, nothing short of that is going to be enough."

"If we had a clue about where they are, I'd see what I could about getting that arranged for you," He tells her.

"I know you would and I appreciate it," She states as her balcony door opens.

Brenda Ripley pokes her head out the door and smiles at the couple.

"I'm not interrupting anything am I?" She asks.

"Not a thing Mom, Alex and I were just talking. What's up?"

"Bryce and I need to get out for a little while and he wanted me to see if you wanted to tag along. We might head up to Fort Fisher or further up to the Battleship. Bryce has never been to either and this waiting around is driving us bit nuts."

"Us too but I think I'm just going to hang around the pool and do some paperwork for Dad. Alex has to run by his office and check in then he'll be back for the evening."

Mrs. Ripley nods. "Walk me out sweetie?"

Addison nods and after a parting kiss for Alex follows Mrs. Ripley back into the house.

"Forgive my prying dear but I am your second mother after all."

"Pry all you want Mom, you know I don't keep things from you."

"Uh huh, so how are things going with you and Mr. Kortesis?" She asks as they enter the upstairs hallway.

"Good but weird at the same time," Addison says. "I mean it feels wrong, us getting together while our friends are God's knows where but it's also wonderful because he's the first guy that I feel like truly gets me, ya know?"

Mrs. Ripley nods. "I felt the same way with Michelle's father Michael. When I lost him, I thought I'd never feel that way with someone again but then Bryce came along and I found that I could love again despite what happened. So if you found love in the midst of all of this don't feel bad about it. Michelle would want you to be happy Addison no matter what."

Addison nods and pulls Mrs. Ripley into a hug. "I'm so glad that you're my second Mom."

"And I'm so glad that you and Lissa are my daughter's friends Addison. She's so blessed to have you guys in her life."

"We're the lucky ones Mom and I'm going to make sure that Michelle knows it when she comes back home."

After a little bit of a wait we're called to the back and Michelle stays by my side. We're shown to a room and the nurse says for me that the doctor will be with us shortly.

"You should probably go ahead and take off your shirt," Michelle suggests.

I nod and as I reach down she's already moved over and is helping me again. Her hand touches the dog tags and tooth.

"I couldn't believe that you kept this when I saw it the other day."

"I wasn't going to just to toss this because of what happened. Sure I was angry and I put thoughts of you out of head, well I tried to put thoughts of you out of my head but I just couldn't..." I start to tell her but the doctor enters.

Michelle takes my shirt and sits down out of his way.

"Good afternoon," The doctor says in his thick accent.

"If you're more comfortable with Mandinka doc, I speak that pretty well. Or even French if you prefer," I assure him in Mandinka and he smiles

"Thank you. Mandinka is fine. I see that you have been shot?" He asks in his native tongue.

"Yes, we were out in the jungles and I guess we got too close to a militia camp, next thing I know, I'm on the ground bleeding. Luckily there was only the one shot and she's very handy with a medical kit," I tell him and it's not a blatant lie it's just not the whole truth.

"Yes, I can see that," He pulls out a light and inspects the wound, pressing and prodding, asking if this hurts or that.

Satisfied he sits back up. "Well it looks as though she did an excellent job. I'd be hesitant to reopen them. How was the wound cleaned?"

"Rubbing alcohol poured over and probably through the wound track. At least that's what she told me, I was unconscious at the time."

"I'm sure that was probably for the best. How long were you out for?"

I turn to Michelle. "How long was I out do you think?"

"Long enough to scare the hell out of me how's that," She asks.

"Extremely sweet but I think he'll need a more time framed reference to go on," I say giving her a wink.

She thinks for a moment. "The longest block you were out was about ten to twelve hours," she answers.

"Ten to twelve hours, we aren't too sure. I think it was from the blood loss cause I feel fine now. No lightheadedness, dizziness, or anything. She transfused me in this little village to get my blood volume back up. "

He looks at her unbelieving then back to me. "She transfused you a village out in the jungle? Remarkable."

A look of admiration crosses my face as I smile at her. "Yes, she is."

He nods and puts his penlight up to my eyes, checking first one then the other before having me follow it with my eyes.

"No sign of a concussion, so it was probably from the blood loss. And you had no trouble with the transfusion?"

"I guess not, otherwise I wouldn't be here, right?"

"Probably not. And the donor, no problems there?"

I look at Michelle. "He wants to know if you've had any problems from donating your blood to me."

She shakes her head. "I got a little light headed when we were hooked up but after that I was fine." I relate that to the doctor.

"Not only did she do this stitching but she gave you her blood as well? Extraordinary,"

I nod as he continues. "I'd like you to have you check into the hospital for a couple of days, just to be sure."

I shake my head. "Sorry, can't do that. We've got to get back home, family emergency, you understand?"

"Of course. Well it seems like you've been in very capable hands since the incident. Your wife is a very amazing lady it seems."

"Yes, I know," I answer not bothering to correct him and Michelle and I not being married.

I tell myself that it would just muddy the waters but honestly I also don't mind the sound of it. He turns to Michelle and tells what an excellent job she did but in his native tongue, she has no idea what he's saying.

"She doesn't speak the language yet but I'll let her know what you said," He nods and takes several packet samples of pills from the locked medicine cabinet.

"While I see no signs of infection, take these twice daily to fight it just in case and try and take it easy."

"You don't have to tell me twice doc," I shake his hand and give the pill packets over to Michelle.

"I've got to take two of those daily, remind me, okay?" I ask.

She nods and we leave, paying in cash on the way out.

"Harry Morgan huh?" she says once we're back on the streets.

"How'd you know?"

"I glanced at your sheet when you were paying." She says. "Do you use names of Bogart characters from old movies for everything?"

I nod. "Nobody usually gets them so it works out if I don't use the obvious ones that is."

"Uh huh, well now I know your secret."

"Well you already knew most of them anyway. What's one or two more?"

"Between friends?"

"Yes, between friends. God, I can't believe I haven't asked you how you were after the blood thing. Some friend I am."

"I'm fine. I told you that already, don't worry about it. So where to now?"

"Casablanca," I answer sheepishly.

She looks at me then gives me a shake of her head and a grin. "I know, I know. I'm a walking cliché."

"It's not that. I've always wanted to go to Casablanca," she admits.

"You're in luck then because I've got a stash box there that's got money and other things we need to get out of the country."

"As much as I want to go there why don't we just call Addison and have her send their plane here?" She asks making a valid point.

"Remember the gunship that blew the Aid Station and everything around it all to hell? Well I'm fairly certain it was meant to kill us and that group of armed men showing up at the camp wasn't a coincidence either I'm sure that asshole at the CIA is behind both. If he gets wind that we're still around he might make sure we don't leave the country," I tell her.

She stops and pulls me into a less crowded alleyway away from any prying ears. "Why does the CIA want to kills us? What's going on Kenny?"

I take a deep breath before launching into my explanation. "Ballo, that guy that was trying to sell you, he was the leader of the militia. An Agent Trent from the CIA picked me up at the airport in Morocco and told me that if I wanted to find you I had to kill Ballo. I was to send proof once it was done and was supposed to send a helicopter to pick us up but instead he sent a gunship to destroy it all."

"Why would he do that?" she asks.

"I don't know. I imagine that he was paid off by someone to make it happen. Either that or hell maybe he was just pissed off that I was about to kill him in his office."

"You what?"

"Michelle we thought you were dead," I explain. "Your boyfriend said that he thought you had been killed so that's what we thought as well. I go into this man's office and he shows me an internet feed that you're being auctioned off, and Ballo slapped you after you spat on him, I... I kind of lost it when he didn't come flat out and tell me where you were."

"So to get me free you had to kill a man?" she asks the gravity of the situation hangs heavy in her words.

"I didn't... Michelle, I didn't have to kill him. I went in his room and I shot him in his knee so he'd tell me where he was keeping you. I won't say that I didn't get some satisfaction from that after seeing him smack you around but that was going to be all. I just wanted to get you out there and leave, nothing more but then he... he told me that he'd broken you, there was nothing left and that he'd... raped you... that's when I shot and killed the son of a bitch."

She reaches up and caresses my face. "He didn't Kenny. Other than the slapping around, he never touched me. I had a piece of wood I managed to rip off one of the trees so if they tried to... I'd either kill them or myself before it could happen but that never happened because you came for me. Everything's okay now."