The Reunion

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

After the restaurant had been cleaned for the evening, Cate ushered Eddy out the back door, reassuring him that the man still sitting in the booth was perfectly harmless and there was no need to call the police, shutting the door behind him and locking it with a shake of her head. She retrieved all of her tips from her apron pocket and dropped them into her purse, taking off her apron and tossing it aside. She looked at Zeke from behind the counter; he had his head resting against the wall and his eyes were closed, his lips parted slightly in his slumber. He had been dozing in the booth for the past hour and a half, and she just let him sleep as she went about her cleaning, he wasn't disturbing her, in fact his presence was reassuring even after all these years. She grabbed two small plates from the shelf behind the counter and took the fresh baked apple pie out of the lighted pie safe, dishing up two pieces and carrying the plates out to the booth. "Hey, sleepyhead," Cate said, setting a piece of pie down in front of Zeke as she slid onto the seat across from him.

"Huh," Zeke mumbled. He was so use to sleeping anywhere that nothing disturbed him but when he heard Cate's soft, feminine voice, his eyes instantly shot open. He reached up and rubbed his tired eyes, blinking several times as he turned around in the seat, stretching the kinks from his back. All that driving had finally caught up with him and he didn't know what time he had fallen asleep, just that he needed a little shut-eye. He rubbed a hand over his face, catching a whiff of apple pie, and he looked down at the thick slice of pie in front of him and he picked up the fork sitting on the plate. He looked over at Cate as he cut off a sizable bite, trying to make eye contact but she was looking down at her plate. "How long had I been sleeping?"

"A couple hours," she said, picking up her fork and cutting off a bite of pie. She had shut off all the lights except for the ones that stayed on in the kitchen for security purposes, the subtle brightness illuminating the dining room. She stuck a forkful of pie into her mouth as she stared down at her plate, poking at a slice of apple with her fork. She let out a long breath as she braced her elbow on the table, dropping her head into her hand. She closed her eyes as she thought about how messed up her life had become, how she had gotten herself in way over her head and ended up here. Where was he then? Where was her protector when she needed him? She opened her teary eyes and looked at Zeke. She never wanted him to see her cry, never wanted him to know how fragile she was. "Why did you have to come back now? Why couldn't you have come back sooner when I really needed you?" she sobbed as her fork clattered to the table.

Zeke swore under his breath as he dropped his fork and quickly moved over to the other side of the table, sliding into the booth beside her. He wrapped a strong, protective arm around her shoulders and pulled her securely against his side, pressing his lips to the top of her head, stroking her back with a comforting hand. He just let her cry, feeling her much needed tears soak into his shirt, into his skin, as he held her tight, soothing her with comforting words. What ever had happened to her was so heart wrenching that the mere thought of it brought tears to her eyes yet again and he had been thousands of miles away when she needed him the most. When her sobs started to subside, he gently pulled a lock of hair away from her tear-dampened cheek and reached over, pulling several napkins from the dispenser, handing them to her. Once he felt that she had finally composed herself, he asked, "What happened, Catie-girl?"

Cate took the napkins from him and dragged the rough paper across her face, drying her cheeks, her eyes and dabbing at her runny nose. She was such a mess and she never wanted him to see her like this but he wasn't going anywhere for the time being. She had tried to put it all behind her but there was some things that time could just not heal. She reached up and brushed her hair back from her face with a trembling hand and looked up at Zeke, looked into his eyes that were so full of concern. He could never hide his desire to protect her no matter how hard he tried. Her voice was soft when she spoke, trembling from the emotions that were twisted up inside her. "I had a wonderful job, a nice apartment and I went and screwed it all up. I was a paralegal in a very reputable law firm up in Washington. I had been there for about six years, working for one of the junior partners, putting in just as many hours as he did. We had been working so close together, so many nights that... that we had an affair."

Cate leaned against his side, drawing strength from him as she found the courage to tell him the secret she kept bottled up inside her all these years. She looked down at her hands, toying with the napkin soaked with her tears as she spoke. "It went on for a couple years and I... I got pregnant. I didn't tell anyone and I just blamed my morning sickness on the flu. When I finally got the courage to tell him, he was furious. He had a wife and two kids. When I started to show, the rumors, the vicious taunts, the crude remarks all started to spread. And then when I went to one of the other partners to file charges against him I was asked to leave and given a severance check on the spot with orders to never set foot in the building again. I tried to get another job at other firms, tried smaller law offices but– He made sure I would never be able to work in the field again." She drew in a shaky breath and slowly let it back out, feeling the tears start to well up inside her again. "I lost the baby and he just laughed."

Zeke let out a harsh expletive and pulled her even tighter against him as her tears started to flow once again. The fuckin' asshole, he didn't even know who he was and he wanted to kill him. He should have been here for her, better yet he should have just taken her with him, but the past was the past and he couldn't do anything to change it. He was here now, comforting her, consoling her and that was all that mattered. He had never stopped thinking about her, tormenting himself night after night. If only he had known... He brushed her hair back from her face and pressed a soft kiss to her forehead, gazing down at her in the dim light. "I'm so sorry, Cate." He gently combed her hair away from her face, listening to her sobs, feeling them pull at his heartstrings. She would have been a wonderful mother and then to have it all taken away from her, he couldn't even begin to imagine the hell she had gone through. "You never told anyone, did you?"

"I couldn't, Zeke. I was too ashamed," she said softly, sniffling. She drew in a deep breath and slowly let it back out as she wiped her nose. She still couldn't look him in the eye, even though she knew she would never see scorn in them. "My medical and living expenses ate up my severance pay. When I finally got off the antidepressants, I came back home and stayed with my mom at the Carlyle's until I could get back on my feet again. I didn't even bother trying to get a job in the field, so I wait tables here three nights a week and the other four at the steak house in Riverton. The pay isn't great but I can afford a small apartment and I make enough in tips every week to pay for everything else. It's a struggle but I manage the best that I can." She leaned forward and picked up her plate and fork, taking another bite of her pie as she finally looked up at him. His eyes were very somber. "She would have been nine this year."

"I should have been here for you," Zeke muttered, feeling every bit the bastard. He let out a long breath as he reached across the table and pulled his plate closer, stabbing at his pie and pulling off a sizable chunk. He was at a loss for words. There was nothing he could say to her that would bring her solace, heal that part of her that had died inside. She was strong, she always had been but when she was at her weakest, when she needed someone, anyone the most, she had no one. And that was all going to change, right here, right now. He was back in her life and this time when he left town, he wasn't leaving without her. He picked up his cup of now cold coffee and took a drink, washing down the last bite of pie with the last of the coffee. He shifted on the bench, draping his arm over the back of the booth as he looked down at her, his long, slightly calloused fingers caressing the back of her neck. "I know this is bad timing, but are you going to the reunion tomorrow?" he asked, setting his empty cup down on his plate.

Cate finished her apple pie and put her empty plate under his. She let out a long breath as she sat back against the seat. For the first time in ten years she felt a little bit of peace, just being able to talk to Zeke, the one person she knew wouldn't judge her for having an affair, helped ease some of the ache that had been inside her. She reached up and brushed the stray lock of hair away from her face that refused to stay in place and tried her best not to smile at his question but he never was one for being tactful. His fingers felt wonderful on the back of her tense neck and she couldn't help but remember how his hands had felt on her that night, cupping her breasts, his thumbs dragging across her nipples, strong fingers digging into her bottom as he pulled her tight against his hard body, his mouth on hers. She wished she could just erase the past twenty years and be under that tree with him again. She looked up at him, into his hot, coffee-brown eyes. She hadn't even considered going to the reunion but if Zeke was asking her she would change her mind in a heartbeat and since her heart was already slamming against her ribcage... "Zeke, are you finally asking me out after all these years?"

"Yeah, I guess I am," he said with a smile, gazing down into her forget-me-not blue eyes that he had never forgotten. If she didn't want to go, he wouldn't force her, he just wanted to spend some time with her and where better than at the park and he had a feeling that she hadn't seen any of her friends since she had come back home. Besides, they could always leave early. He slowly trailed the tip of his finger along the back of her neck, feeling her body quiver under his touch. Her skin was still as soft as it always had been and he wanted to touch every inch of her, see every inch of her and hear her moans as he kissed every inch of her but he was going to have to settle with just touching her like this. And who knew what tomorrow would bring. "What do you say we make heads turn?"

Cate crossed her arms under her breasts as she stared at the plates on the table, biting the inside of her lip to keep from screaming yes! She had waited all these years for him to finally ask her out and after everything he had put her through in the past, she might as well just make him suffer a little bit longer. She chewed on her bottom lip to keep from smiling as she looked at him out of the corner of her eye. She knew girls never said no to him in high school and they probably still never refused him to this day. He was getting nervous; she could see it on his face and it was well worth it. She reached out and toyed with the handle of the fork. "I don't know. Attending the class reunion with the badass of Humboldt County? How would that make me look, after all I was–"

Zeke immediately went on the defensive. He glared down at her as he shifted around on the padded bench seat until his thigh was pressing hard against hers, his hand curling into a tight fist against the back of the bench. He couldn't believe it! She was the only one in town that could care less that he had a criminal record and it was starting to bother her now? "Hey! That title was never made official," he stated, interrupting her. "I was only arrested twice and each time I was released on my own recognizances. The beating I gave that prick back in high school would have been my third strike but no charges had ever–"

Her giggles turned to laughter as he defended himself and she couldn't quit laughing as he rambled on, only to break out into hysterics when she looked up at him and saw the expression on his face. In spite of everything, he was still touchy about his past transgressions and she didn't doubt that they haunted him, but with as far as he'd come now, they were probably insignificant. But everyone in Oak Hills knew of his reputation and some things could not be forgotten or forgiven. She knew what kind of guy he was deep down inside and even though he'd had a rough childhood and struggled through his teenage years, he had always cared for her, protected her. She reached up and wiped the tear from the corner of her eye. "I was only joking, Zeke. I would love to go to the reunion with you."

"You little–" he started but only broke out into laughter himself. She had a mean streak, even if it was minute, and he deserved everything she dished out along with that over-filled cup of coffee. He looked down at her. It was good to hear her laugh and he had to wonder when the last time it was that she had laughed like this, laughed so hard it brought tears to her eyes. She deserved to be happy and he was finally at the point in his life that he could give her everything she wanted, bring joy to her every waking hour, but the only catch was, he had to regain her trust all over again and he didn't know how long that was going to take. And he had all the time in the world. He looked at his watch. It was almost ten and he needed a decent night's sleep. "It's getting late and I'm exhausted," he said, trying to stifle the yawn he was suddenly overcome with as he slid out of the booth.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I forgot how late it was," Cate said as she slid out of the booth behind him. He had to be more than exhausted; driving all day from any point in California was a long trip. She picked up the plates and cup, carrying them behind the counter and placing them in the plastic tub so they could be washed in the morning. She fished her keys out of her purse and walked with him over to the front door, locking it behind them as they stepped out on the sidewalk in the warm summer night air. She turned around and reached up to brush a stray lock of hair back from her face as she looked up at him. She still couldn't believe, that after all these years, he had come back home. But for how long was the question. She just stood there for a few minutes, gazing at him in the light coming from the streetlamp, waiting for the car to drive by before she spoke. "I'm parked behind the restaurant. I usually leave out the back door with Eddy."

Zeke gazed down at her in the bluish glow that was coming from the streetlamp on the corner, the light caressing her soft features, and a smile slowly turned up the corner of his mouth. The town was probably safer since he had left, but he wasn't letting her walk behind the building by herself no matter what time of day or night it was. He walked beside her across the empty lot between the restaurant and the vacant bank building, the howl of a stray tomcat piercing the stillness of the night as she led the way to where she had parked her car under a broken streetlamp that was supposed to be lighting the alley. It was a late nineties model Honda Accord that was still in pretty good shape body-wise and he reached around her to open the door when she unlocked it. He braced his forearms on the edge of the door and gazed down at her in the darkness. "What time would you like me to pick you up tomorrow?" he asked.

Cate tossed her purse on the passenger's seat as she slid in behind the wheel and stuck her key in the ignition. She smiled up at him. "I think they're going to have everything ready by noon, so is eleven-thirty good. I wouldn't mind getting there a little early." She turned the key over and swore under her breath when all she heard was click-click. She tried it again and got the same response. She drew in a deep breath and let it back out, closing her eyes in shame. Her life had been nothing but a downward spiral over the past decade. Not only did she have to wait tables but she also had to trade down from an Acura to a vehicle that she could afford when she lost her job and the older Honda had always been reliable but there were times when it had a mind of its own and wouldn't start. And it just happened to pick tonight to do just that. "This is so embarrassing," she whispered.

"Don't worry about it. It happens," Zeke said, reassuring her. She was the one that should be driving the Cadillac and wearing designer clothes, not him, and he could tell that it bothered her, that it truly upset her to have to give up the life she had and wind up where she never thought she would be, scraping the bottom of the barrel just to get by. She had never criticized him in the past for being from the other side of the tracks and he wasn't going to do the same thing to her now. They had both made their mistakes and taken risks whether they were morally right or wrong. Their pasts were behind them, and even though she was still trying to come to terms with hers, he would help her every step of the way, if she would just let him back into her life. And so far it looked like he was off to a pretty good start. He smiled down at her in the darkness. "Come on, Cate, I'll give you a ride home," he said, his voice soft.

She let out a long breath and grabbed her purse, climbing out of her piece of shit car. How many times had Zeke come to her rescue in the past? Too many times to count and she was just grateful that he was here with her now. Out of frustration and anger, she slammed the door shut, swearing under her breath when she realized she left her keys dangling from the ignition and opened the door again, leaning inside to yank them out. She locked and shut the door, walking back across the parking lot with him to where he had left his Escalade parked on the other side of the street, the exterior lights flashing when he pushed the button on the key remote. She gazed up at him in the darkness as he opened the door for her, wondering just what had happened to him. The worthless piece of shit, as everyone had referred to him in the past, wasn't so insignificant anymore. She climbed up inside the SUV and settled into the plush leather seat as he shut the door, watching as he walked around the front of the vehicle. She let out a long sigh. How long was he going to be around before he sped out of sight in the warm June sun once again?

Zeke folded his frame in behind the wheel and stuck the key in the ignition, turning it over. He looked over at her across the expanse of the SUVs interior as he fastened his seatbelt. She was sitting so close yet so far away, both physically and emotionally. There were probably a million questions running through her head right now, the biggest one being how long he was going to be in town–he didn't even know the answer to that one–and while he was here he wanted to spend as much time with her as he could. Suddenly, he wished they were both teenagers again and he had his Harley so he could feel her sleek thighs pressed to the outside of his once again, feel her breasts pressing into his back as they tore down the street in darkness, breaking several laws right along with the speed limit, wished they were back up under that oak tree to finish what he started a long time ago. But the past was the past. He drew in a deep breath and slowly let it back out. "Where to?" he asked.

There was just enough light from the street lamp to brighten the interior of the SUV and Cate looked over at him in the shadowy darkness. She wasn't used to seeing him with such short hair and what ever profession he was in now required him to keep it short and he looked good, so good that she started to feel that knot tighten in her stomach once again. She had to fight her feelings for him, he was just going to be leaving once again, but it was a struggle. This was Zeke after all, the guy that had saved her from that jerk back in high school, the guy that could stir up feelings inside her with one kiss, the guy that had left her crying in the parking lot as he tore out of town. Something inside her was telling her that he had changed even though her conscious was screaming at her to run the other direction because he was only going to leave her once again. She never listened to her conscious, that was how she had gotten pregnant in the first place, and for once in her life, she was going to listen with her heart even if it got broken once again. "The complex on the corner of Sixth and Clover," Cate answered, fastening her own seatbelt.

1...45678...13