The Rich and The Famous Ch. 03

Story Info
Life and love on the set of new drama.
2.8k words
4.33
9.3k
2

Part 3 of the 6 part series

Updated 10/30/2022
Created 06/21/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SexyX
SexyX
2 Followers

3.

Sabrina didn't know how long she had been sitting and staring at her as yet unmade up face in the mirror of her dressing room; it could have been five minutes, it could have been fifteen. Having her own dressing room and makeup artist slash stylist was a definite plus because she was sure that if she was sitting in the communal dressing room staring at her reflection the assumption would overwhelmingly be that she just liked to look at herself in mirrors. And, for the record, she did and she wasn't particularly ashamed of that fact. But this wasn't a vanity issue; it was more to do with nerves. And that was something she was ashamed of: how many movies had she been in? Far too many to be getting last minute nerves that was for damn sure. She knew that there were some actors and actresses, highly successful ones at that, who were always nervous at the beginning of a new project. She didn't want to be name dropping but just the other day she'd been talking to a good friend of hers who was, despite being in her fifties, still a big Hollywood name and who confessed that she still had attacks of the jitters. Sabrina hadn't been so sure though when she'd told her that being nervous about something elicited a better performance: complacency, she argued, built over comfortable performances that were nowhere near as good as they could have been had the performer been a little more humble.

Sabrina laughed to herself. Humble was one word she certainly wouldn't put in the same sentence as Sabrina Meadows. Still she didn't see anything wrong with that- in her opinion all the great performers needed to have a certain amount of confidence to even do what they did, to put their performances out there for the audience to criticize or admire. Even if that medium was on the television screen rather than the cinema screen. Baby steps, Alex had joked to her just the other day when she'd made another disparaging remark about something related to the whole project.

"You should count yourself lucky Alex is even willing to take your shit and still give you a job!" She told her mirror image. Then she stuck her tongue out at her reflection- what was with all the talking to herself lately?

There was a knock on her door. "Come in." Sabrina said, assuming that the make up girl had simply gotten sick of waiting to be summoned. She'd briefly been introduced to the girl charged with making her gorgeous every day, along with other key members of the crew, but she didn't remember her name. All she could remember was that the girl was a striking soul with mocha colored skin and thick black hair.

"Sab, how are you going in here?" Alex asked, shutting the door behind him.

In the mirror Sabrina watched as he perched on the edge of a table and looked at her. His expression was a mixture of amusement and pity- two things that didn't normally go together.

A little annoyed she swung around to face him. There were a few things that really bothered her and one of them was pity. "If someone had ever told me I'd be nervous about filming a little television show I would have had them committed."

He grinned wryly. "If someone had of told me that you'd even agree to be in my 'little television show' I would have had them committed." He said.

Sabrina smiled, feeling the tension leave her body. "Touche." She said.

"So the rest of the cast are here and being made up as we speak. I was hoping I could introduce you to them quickly." Alex suggested.

Sabrina frowned a little. Thinking about that reminded her of an article in one of the papers the other day concerning Alex's latest pet project. It claimed that it remained to be seen whether Alex could cross the genres and create a television show that would rival the great shows of the past as well as some of the current favourites. But the writer did say that they'd hang their hat on Alex being able to do it over many of the other blockbuster directors. It had then gone on to mention that with two real exceptions the cast was made up of nobodies, which, was Alex's specialty- he'd launched the careers of some of the biggest names in the movie world as well as other actors and actresses who'd had steady work since being in a Hammond production. But, and this is what had really annoyed Sabrina, she'd only merited one line (if you could even call it that): 'Headlining The Rich and The Famous are former queen of the screen Sabrina Meadows and Brock Myers, the former of whom has not worked much recently and the latter who has worked only in daytime soaps in the past few years.'

She realized Alex was still talking and quickly tuned back in "...an ideal world you would all have met each other awhile before we went into production and got to know one another but we both know this isn't an ideal world."

"In an ideal world I wouldn't have to have lived on water and vegetables for the past week..." Sabrina said.

Alex raised an eyebrow.

"I'm playing a mother on this show Alex and, no matter how you might try to sugar coat it, that means I'm going to be a fair bit older than some of the other cast members and I don't want to look more like a grandmother than a mother." Sabrina explained.

Alex laughed. "Your kidding aren't you? Sab you don't look like a grandmother, you barely look like a mother. I've actually asked for makeup to make you look a little bit older."

Sabrina was horrified. "Don't you dare Alex Hammond! I've been craving real food for a week and I'll be damned if I'm going to suffer starvation only to be made to look older." She reached for a hair tie and put her hair up into a quick bun so that the makeup could be properly applied. "So give me the goss on the rest of the cast."

"Actually I've added another character into the script at the last minute. I thought you needed a foil."

"I do?" Sabrina asked dubiously, thinking that Alex better not have added another main character, someone to rival her for the starring role, or she wouldn't be in the show- regardless of contracts she'd signed.

"She'll be your sister but she won't be coming in for a few weeks. Are you ready to go and meet everyone?" Alex asked.

Sabrina hesitated. "But I'm not maid up yet."

"So?" Alex looked confused.

"So I'll be at a disadvantage if everyone else- specifically the women- is already in full battle paint. Battle paint. That's what my mother used to call makeup. She wouldn't even go and get the mail without it you know? Drives the nurses in the nursing home insane..." Sabrina trailed off, feeling her face grow red. She'd forgotten all about her mum's "battle paint" until it had come back to her at that moment. But to tell Alex about it was completely unacceptable. She'd always employed a very strict no emotions, no personal information rule with the cast and crew of anything she was in.

"How is June? So you had to put her in a nursing home after all hey?" Alex asked, not realizing from the set of Sabrina's shoulders that she regretted mentioning her mother at all.

"She's well as can be I suppose." Sabrina said abruptly. When she and Alex had been together- a lifetime ago- her mother had been living in a wing of her house and she'd had a nurse come and check on her every day but other than that she had been living a relatively normal life. Sabrina had employed a woman to drive her to appointments, usually the doctors if truth be told, because she didn't have the time or the inclination to o it. She'd always felt she was doing her daughterly duty by letting her mother live in her home and having anything she needed at any time. It hadn't occurred to her until her mom went to live in the nursing home that what June really needed was companionship.

Alex got the hint, although a fleeting look of hurt crossed his face but it was gone before Sabrina could see it. "Right. Well get your makeup done first if you want. You know where to find me."

After Alex left Sabrina sat back down slowly. She'd always thought she and Alex had a great relationship, that they were able to stay friends after having dated, but sometimes she found his comments, or his judgments as it were, crossed the line. Not that she'd ever tell him this mind you.

*****

Lori felt on sensory overload; this morning she'd been introduced to so many people, been introduced to so many technical, and not so technical, terms that she as a novice actress hadn't heard before, plus she was so excited that she could hardly keep still. While this was her first morning on the set she'd done some research after getting the role. She'd gone down to her local video shop and asked for every movie they had that Alex Hammond had directed, only to be met with an incredulous look from the store girl. Upon ascertaining that Lori was serious, and that she didn't know what a huge director Alex was, she'd given her a crash course in one of the major players in movies. She'd also told Lori that rumour had it he was branching out into television and that she'd asked her agent to make enquiries. Lori didn't tell her about her new role- the girl wouldn't have believed her anyway for good reason. She'd then googled Alex on her laptop- a five year old machine that was incredibly slow but which she'd never been able to afford to upgrade- and it was then that she began to realize what a big deal this television show really was. Which, of course, only served to make her even more nervous. It was lucky that everyone on the set seemed so incredibly nice.

"I believe we're to be married." A voice said in Lori's ear.

She jumped and whipped around. "Shit...oh sorry Paul, I was in my own little world."

"Is it nice?" Paul Winters asked.

"What?" Lori was confused. Was this some obscure showbiz or movie reference she didn't know? If there was one thing this morning had shown her it was just how much she didn't know.

"Your own little world, is it nice?...Sorry, I was being...well I thought I was being cute but obviously I was being weird." Paul explained.

Lori smiled. "No you were being funny...I'm just kind of lost here." She told him, anxious for some reason that he would know she didn't think he was weird.

"You haven't been in anything before?" Paul queried.

"Not a thing. I didn't even go out for drama in high school. But then the schools I went to weren't big on extracurricular activities other than sports." Lori admitted. On her way to the studio she'd thought about not letting people know she was such a newcomer because she sensed there would be perhaps annoyance that she'd been given a part over other people or there would be a lot of interest in her performance because of her status. This idea had been scrapped not long into the tour Alex gave her. It would be all too obvious that she didn't know what she was doing soon enough so she figured it would be better to let people- at least her cast members- know the truth off the bat.

"Gosh you must be good." Paul said, looking at her in admiration. He'd only had a brief introduction when Alex had introduced the castmates- with exception of Sabrina and the new character- but he'd been attracted to her instantly. He wasn't sure how old she was, but there was something in her eyes which made him think she was in her early 20's and she had bright red hair, blue-green eyes, and pale, porcelain like skin. She was tall and slim and she seemed to be nice- from what little he could tell. It was hard to really concentrate on her when there were a few of them all talking together but he'd made a decision to get her alone as soon as he could to see whether his perception was real. Thus far it was.

"Oh no, I don't know...I've never..." Lori shrugged. "I'm playing Sabrina Meadows' daughter. Have you met her?"

Paul laughed, a quick wry laugh. "No. I've never met her. I haven't been in anything that the great Sabrina would have been in."

"Wow so you've been in things? Anything I'd know?" Lori asked interested.

Paul permitted himself a wry smile. "Unlikely. A few blink and you'd miss parts in major films. For instance did you see Titanic?"

"Of course." Lori felt a few pangs of pain- she'd seen the movie with her mother. She'd been too young to see it when it came out at the cinemas but it had been on television one night and they'd watched it. What made that memory painful however was the fact that it was only a few months before the car accident.

"In the scene where Rose and her mother were singing hyms with other well heeled people and Jack tried to get in to see her but wasn't allowed- I was standing just behind Kate Winslet."

"Wow." Lori was clearly in awe.

"It's not quite that impressing. There were a few other tiny parts in movies and then a couple of roles in B or no D-grade movies, the bottom of which was "Zombie Killers VI- Curse of the Demon of the Night.' Anyway then my agent started getting me roles in television programs, firstly one or two liners and then parts where I appeared in at least a couple of scenes. There was Law and Order, Sex and the city, Angel, CSI and Boston Legal. Then I, miraculously, got this job." Paul said. All actors could sprout a verbal resume of their work but the ones who actually got asked would usually just list a couple of million plus dollar box hits. Considering an actor had to start somewhere it was inevitable that there would be a few roles that he (or she) would rather forget. Paul's highlight was obviously Zombie Killers VI. Ironically his character had remained standing at the end of the movie, which had a insanely high body count as most crappy horror movies did, and they'd offered him the part in Zombie Killers VII. Surprisingly he'd managed to turn that offer down- against the advice of his agent who simply wanted him to be working so he'd be getting paid.

"Still it is something. And you know your way around a set, you know what people's jobs are, what they're actually doing while their doing it...I'm just worried I'm going to make a fool of myself."

"You'll be fine." Paul reassured her.

"Thank you for your confidence." Lori said with a small smile.

"If you have any questions come and ask me, I'll be more than happy to help you. And as my wife we're going to be in a lot of scenes together." Paul offered.

"Thank you so much- oh....she's here." Lori breathed.

"Who?" Paul asked.

"Sabrina Meadows. I might not be an actress but I still know what a big star she is." Lori said, gazing at the woman with complete and utter adoration on her face as she came through the door into the dressing room with Alex by her side.

Paul, instead of looking at Sabrina, looked at Lori's face and thought shit, Sabrina is going to be able to walk all over her.

"And this is Brock Myers. Brock was-" Alex was saying as he made the introductions.

"Weren't you on Days of Our Lives?" Sabrina interrupted coolly.

"I was." Brock said looking pleased that the queen had actually known his name and what he was in.

"I can't stand daytime soaps. You could watch The Bold and the Beautiful, The Young and the Restless and, yes, Days of our Lives once a month and easily know what was happening. Really they move so slowly they're practically going backwards." Sabrina said.

There was a silence in the room.

"Luckily this show has better writers so it will meet with your approval." Alex said, a bit of a smile on his lips.

Sabrina looked at him and then she laughed too. "Was I being rude again? I'm sorry Mr. Myers; I didn't mean to impugn your work."

Brock was besotted, Lori was in awe, Paul was cautiously charmed and Sabrina lapped up their attention. After all, she thought to herself, she was the star of this show!

SexyX
SexyX
2 Followers