The Rising Sun & The Morning Calm Ch. 19

Story Info
A new woman enters their lives.
5.2k words
4.84
9.6k
1

Part 20 of the 33 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 06/14/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
vinkb
vinkb
167 Followers

Don't forget to vote or leave a comment. Hopefully you like how the story is progressing! And my apologies for being away for so long.

_______________________________________

"I can't make it in today. I feel like shit." Kaori shivered and sank deeper into her blankets.

"But, Minamoto-san, we can't shoot the scene without you," her assistant's nervous voice stuttered over the phone.

"Well then you'll just have to wait, won't you?" she snapped before slamming her phone shut. This was ridiculous. It was a typical hot summer day outside and she was buried under three blankets, her teeth still chattering. For the last four days, she'd been experiencing severe chills, fever, muscle aches and weakness nonstop. On top of that, her appetite was terrible and bright light hurt her eyes. If this was a flu, it was unlike any flu she had ever had before. Wondering what the hell was going on, her thoughts were broken by the buzzer of her apartment intercom. Still covered in the blanket, she walked the aching steps to the plastic box and depressed the button, croaking, "Who is it?"

A disturbingly familiar chill crept up her spine as the last voice in the world she wanted to hear greeted her. "Kaori-chan. [Konichiwa]."

Attempting to keep the fear out of her voice, she retorted, "What the hell do you want?"

"Haven't heard from you in a few days," he drawled idly. "Not going to invite me in?" She heard him tut-tut disapprovingly in the background.

"What have you done to me?" she demanded angrily, momentarily forgetting her fear.

"Temper, temper," he admonished. "What seems to be the problem?"

"The problem is that I feel like shit all the time and you had better be able to explain why!"

"Well, how can I answer that question if I can't see what's happening to you, [neh]?" She could picture the infuriating smile on his face.

He had a point. She wrestled with the decision to let him in or not to, conflicted between wanting to know what was wrong and not wanting him anywhere near her.

"I'm waiting..." his voice reminded her.

Needing her questions answered, she swallowed her misgivings and buzzed him in. A minute later, her skin crawled as she heard him knock on her door. Taking a deep breath to steady her jangled nerves, she opened the door and attempted to look as unafraid as possible. "So? Is this supposed to happen?"

He studied her drawn features and cocked his head to one side, contemplating her presentation. "Odd," he said nonchalantly. "This is the first time I've seen someone react like this."

"You don't know what this is?!" she shouted hysterically.

Saburo ambled over to her couch and sat down without bothering to take off his shoes. "Nope," he shrugged carelessly, as he looked around her apartment. "Nice place you have here." Resting both arms along the back of her sofa, he grinned at her from across the room.

Kaori began to panic. "What am I supposed to do about this?" She gestured frantically towards her weakened body.

"How should I know?" he asked blandly.

Realizing she had let him into her home for nothing, she tried her best not to completely break down in front of him. "Why are you here?"

"Maybe I thought you missed me," he sneered.

He was so repugnant. "I didn't, so you can leave."

Saburo feigned a wounded expression. "Such a lack of gratitude." Clucking his tongue, he shook his head and stood up. "I'll show myself out, shall I?" Sauntering past her, he waited until he was some distance away from her apartment before swearing in displeasure. This was an unexpected and quite unwelcome turn of events. He hadn't anticipated that her infection would manifest as an actual illness and at this rate, there would be no possible way to use her period of estrus to his advantage, if she even made it that far. His wretched brother would be departing Tokyo in less than two weeks with his woman, leaving little time for him to exact vengeance. The only thing that brought him a scant amount of comfort was that at least if Kaori died, it would be one less loose end with which to concern himself, so in the end, nothing was lost.

Stumbling shakily into her bathroom, Kaori leaned against her sink as a wave of dizziness overtook her. Putting a hand to her head, she felt something brush against her skin and let out a small scream as a large clump of her hair fell onto the floor. "No! What?!" Touching her scalp, her breath came in rapid gulps as more and more sections of her hair joined the strands on the tiles. "What...what's happening to me?" Suddenly feeling like she needed some air, she ran to the nearest window and threw it open and thrust her head out into the breeze. After a few minutes, she attempted to collect her thoughts and felt chilled again. Withdrawing from the window, she willed herself not to touch her head, lest any more of her hair fell out and returned to her couch. Retreating into her nest of blankets, she closed her eyes and let sleep overtake her.

When she woke, it was dark outside. Sitting up on aching joints, she winced. The skin felt stretched and tight over her cheeks. Getting to her feet, she lurched to the bathroom and flipped the light switch. When she saw her face she couldn't even manage a scream. An angry, red set of what almost looked like scales covered her cheeks and forehead. Not sure what it was, she scratched at one of them and yelped in pain as it came away from the others. From the spot it had vacated, a thin line of blood began to drip onto the marble countertop. Desperate, she grabbed a jar of facial cream and began slathering it over the rough surface. Shaking, she slid to the floor and huddled into a corner, wondering for the first time in her life if she was going to die.

_____________________

neh: right / eh

_____________________

Hearing the sound of Ryu shout "Haddoken!", Angela knew she had a text message. Noboru raised one eyebrow over his shoulder at her message alert, chuckled and went back to sleep. Looking at her clock, she saw that it was about 2AM. Flipping open her phone, she saw that it was from her sister. It simply read, "Call me. Need to talk." The message was uncharacteristically serious. Usually her sister sent her lighthearted funny texts. Dialing her number, she waited anxiously for her to pick up.

"H-hello?" her sister's shaky voice answered.

"Linnsa? What's wrong?"

"Oh, [Unnie]!" She began to cry.

Angela sat up in bed at the sound of her tears. "Linnsa, talk to me! What happened?"

"Richard called off the engagement," she sobbed.

"Oh no, honey!" No wonder she sounded so heartbroken.

"I'm taking some time off work. I can't be at the hospital the way I'm feeling." She sniffled, "I was wondering if I could come stay with you? I just don't want to be by myself right now."

Not knowing what to say, Angela admitted, "Sure...but...uh...I'm not in...the country...right now."

"Huh?"

"But that doesn't mean you can't come see me," she hastily added. "Look, don't ask any questions, just book the first nonstop to Tokyo and email me your flight info. I'll explain everything when you get here."

"Are you sure?" Her voice showed her hesitation.

"Totally. I'll be waiting for you when you get here," she promised. "I love you."

"Love you, too. I'll see you tomorrow."

When she'd hung up, she saw that Noboru was wide awake looking at her with concern. "[Doshta]?"

Angela sighed and hugged him. "That was my little sister. Her fiancé just called off their engagement. The wedding was supposed to be in two months."

His brow furrowed. "How is she faring?"

"Not well." That was a major understatement. "She met the guy in college and he's the only guy she's ever dated. She took a job in Cali just to be near him and she basically took the job because it paid well. She's spent the last eight years of her life planning her future with this guy and he called off the whole thing." She rolled on top of Noboru and pleaded, "Can we find her some place to stay while she's here? I don't want anything bad to happen to her."

"Of course. Would you prefer I put her in a hotel or with one of my men?" He stroked her back at the distressed expression on her face.

"Actually, I think it would be better if we got someone to look after her."

Noboru thought for a moment. "I could put Genzo in an apartment and have him guard your sister."

She couldn't help smile at his suggestion. "Poor Genzo," she mused. "Stuck babysitting these troublesome Baek girls." Thinking about it for a moment she added, "You know, maybe it'll be good for him to get away from us for a little bit."

Her partner smiled smugly. "Why do you think I suggested him?"

Laying her head on his chest, she hugged him tightly. "I hope she's going to be okay."

_______________________________________________________

unnie: formal title for older sister from her younger sister (Korean)

_______________________________________________________

Genzo surveyed the apartment Noboru had leased for Angela's sister and himself. A spacious two bedroom by Tokyo's standards, it was situated in a trendy part of Shinjuku not too far from Noboru's loft. Grabbing his keys, he headed to the garage.

As he drove towards Narita, he gave an ironic laugh at the fact that he was again looking after a woman for Noboru. Angela had briefly filled him in on her sister's situation and personally requested that he watch over her. Not that it wasn't nice to have a reason to get away – he just couldn't help wondering if they wanted to get him out of their hair as well.

At the terminal, he looked at the image Angela had forwarded him on her cell phone and scanned the newly arrived passengers for her sister. A young woman wheeling a red luggage roller almost as large as herself looked around furtively. She looked like the photo but she was barely five feet tall. From the photo he had assumed she was taller. Walking over her to her he asked, "Linnsa Baek?"

"Yes?" She looked startled when she saw him materialize next to her.

"I am Uehara Genzo. I have been sent by your sister to bring you to Tokyo." He finished his sentence with a deep bow.

She stared up at the big Japanese man. "Uh, okay."

"Please, come with me." Timidly, she nodded and followed behind him. Though she was so petite, she walked fast and kept pace with his long strides. Feeling bad about her luggage, which was almost bigger than she was, he took it from her without saying anything and let her walk with her arms free. In the parking lot, he opened the door for her and ushered her into the car.

As they drove down the highway back to the apartment, she stole a glance here and there at him. The silence awkward, she finally asked. "How do you know my sister?"

"I am employed by her significant other," he replied curtly, his eyes never straying from the road.

"My sister's dating this guy now?" she asked incredulously.

Genzo shot her a look out of the corner of his eye. Maybe it would be better to play the ignorance card. "I will let Angela-san explain. It is not my place to speak of such things." They continued in silence for a few miles. Thinking he should say something more to her, he informed her, "I am to stay with you during your time in Tokyo. Again, your sister will explain why, but it is at her request that it has been arranged this way."

Linnsa looked totally confused. "I don't understand."

Genzo tried to give her what he intended to be a friendly smile. "Do not worry. Everything will be fine and your sister is most anxious to see you."

She settled back in the seat and tried not to worry. "Thank you...Genzo, was it?"

"[Hai]." He looked at the road and smiled again. "If you require anything, you need only ask me. I will obtain whatever you need."

________________________

At the apartment, Angela nervously paced back and forth as she waited for her sister to arrive. "Angela, please calm down. They will be here soon enough," Noboru told her. She had asked that he be there to meet her sister, knowing that there would be a lot of questions.

"I know, I know. It's just that...well...I'm kinda nervous about you meeting her."

Noboru raised a brow, a puzzled look on his handsome face. "[Nazeh]?"

"My sister is a bit...on the conservative side," she said slowly. "I don't know how she's going to react to my suddenly taking up with you like this."

"I suppose we will find out. She is here." He looked at the door.

"What?" She hadn't heard a doorbell.

Sure enough, no sooner had he said it than the lock turned and Genzo opened the door. "Unnie!" Running to her sister, Linnsa threw her arms around her and began sobbing on her shoulder.

Hugging her tightly, Angela tried to sooth her. "Oh, sweetie! You've had such a rough time. Come in here and let's get you settled." Wrapping her arm around her shoulder, she led her into her room.

Genzo bowed his greetings and sat down on the couch. "I see you had no trouble finding her," Noboru observed in Japanese.

"The picture she sent me helped a great deal." He paused before continuing, "They look nothing like each other."

"[So-ka]? I didn't get to see her face really."

Inside her room, Angela just sat with her arm around Linnsa as she cried. "Just like that, he tells me it's off! No reason, no warning, just all of a sudden, that's it!" She sobbed even harder. "I don't understand! I thought we were going to spend the rest of our lives together. Now what am I going to do?"

"I'm so sorry, Linnsa. I'm glad you took some time off though. How long do you have?"

"About three weeks." She wiped her eyes. "How long have you been in Tokyo?"

"About two weeks," she replied. "I suppose you're wondering about the reason."

"Sort of," she sniffed.

"Do you want me to tell you about it or would you rather just rest?"

She sighed. "To tell you the truth, I could use a distraction."

Angela took a deep breath. "Well, it's kind of a crazy story..."

__________________________

nazeh: why (Japanese)

so-ka: is that right (Japanese)

__________________________

Noboru and Genzo were wondering how long the two women would remain cloistered in the room when they heard the door open and they walked into the living room. Noboru noticed that Linnsa was eying him warily. "Linnsa, this is Nagamori Noboru. Noboru, this is my sister, Linnsa."

"An honor," he bowed.

She looked at Genzo and pointed. "Is he infected too?"

Noboru stared at Angela in disbelief. "You TOLD her about that?"

"She's my sister. I tell her everything," she said in a matter of fact tone. Turning to Linnsa, she nodded. "Yeah, he's one too."

Facing Noboru, she put her hands on her hips and marched up to him. "And just what were you planning on doing with my sister?" she demanded suspiciously.

Both men tried not to laugh at the tiny girl glaring up at them. "Her happiness is my foremost concern. I wish nothing but what is best for her," he answered honestly.

Linnsa studied his face looking for any signs that he was lying, but found none. Looking at her sister and seeing the happy expression on her face, she took her hands off her hips and grudgingly warned, "Well, you do anything to make her cry and I'll kick your ass into next week."

"I see the temper runs in the family," Noboru joked. "I will do my best to keep my ass out of harm's way."

"Unnie, are you going to stay here tonight?" She went to Angela for another hug.

"If you want me to of course I will." She looked at Noboru who nodded sympathetically.

"Call me tomorrow when you are free. I will speak with you later." Walking over to her, he kissed her lightly on her lips and murmured, "[Sarang-hae]," before leaving the apartment.

"You taught him that?" Linnsa asked.

"Actually believe it or not, he speaks better Korean than either of us." When her sister looked at her quizzically, she said, "It's another long story. If you want, I'll tell you all about it."

____________________________

sarang-hae: I love you (Korean)

____________________________

Returning home, Noboru was about to go to sleep when his buzzer rang. Pressing down the button, he queried, "Who is it?"

"Noboru, it's Kaori-"

Sighing, he cut her off, "Kaori, really, I don't have time-"

"Noboru, please! I need your help. I think I'm dying!" She sobbed at the last sentence.

Her voice sounded sincere, devoid of her usual haughtiness or entitlement. "Wait down there. I'll come to you." When he walked into the lobby, he didn't see her anywhere.

"I'm outside," she called in a thin voice. Walking out to where she had huddled herself in a corner, he was startled to see how ill she looked. Her skin was unhealthily pale, except for her face, which was covered in red plaques, and dark rings had formed under her eyes. A shawl was wrapped over her head, obscuring most of her features otherwise.

Trying not to be obvious about looking, he asked, "What happened to you?"

She looked up with stricken eyes. "I – I was infected."

"[Nani]?" Then he suddenly understood what she meant and his eyes narrowed in anger. "Who?"

"Your brother," she admitted, cringing at his enraged expression.

Hearing her mention Saburo, he regarded her with suspicion. "He sent you here?"

"No," she denied. "He doesn't know I'm here and he made me swear not to tell anyone what he did, but..." She looked furtively around her, "Noboru, I'm really scared!"

She was telling the truth, and as much as he thought it was a fitting reward for her foolishness, he pitied her. "Do the best you can not to be seen and go to my lab facility. Ask for Ryuzo. If you tell anyone about this, I swear-"

"No, no! I'll do as you say!" Shooting him one more apologetic look, she skulked away.

Shaking his head, he opened his cell phone and dialed Ryuzo's number. "Oi, it's me. I'm sending someone over for you to look at."

__________________

nani: what (Japanese)

__________________

"[Okashina]," Ryuzo muttered, examining the ill woman. "I've never seen this type of reaction before." He looked at Kaori with concern. "How long ago were you infected?"

"About a week ago, I think," she estimated. "It's so hard to think clearly right now."

Taking out a tourniquet, Ryuzo bound her arm and inserted a needle into her antecubital vein. As the vaccutainer filled with blood, he looked over his shoulder at Noboru, who was watching with his arms crossed. "She shouldn't be this ill, and certainly not so soon."

"Why is she reacting this way to the virus?" he asked, never taking his blue eyes off her ashen face.

"[Wakarimaseng]," the older man admitted. "I think we may have to call a physician to see her. Who would you recommend?"

Noboru removed his cell phone from his pocket and flipped it open. "I'll call Dr. Nakamura. I'm fairly sure he can be trusted."

"I'll run all the tests that I can for now."

"[Yosh]. I will let the doctor know where to be."

_____________________________

okashina: strange (Japanese)

wakarimaseng: I don't know (Japanese)

yosh: good (Japanese)

______________________________

Linnsa had finally fallen asleep, exhausted from both her long flight and crying all day. Pulling the covers securely around her shoulders, Angela sat next to her at the edge of the bed and sighed. Hearing someone behind her, she turned to see Genzo standing stiffly in the doorway. "How is she doing?"

"About as well as any woman whose life has been suddenly turned upside down," she remarked, glancing back at her.

"We must speak."

She raised a brow at the seriousness of his voice. "Is something wrong?"

"You could say that," he answered dryly. "Noboru-sama wishes to see you. If you go down the street, a car will be waiting to take you to him. I will look after your sister."

"Sounds serious."

"He prefers to be cautious, that is all," was the matter of fact reply.

vinkb
vinkb
167 Followers
12