The Rivals Ch. 02: War and Thieves

Story Info
Two lands at war. Two thieves at work.
8.3k words
4.73
1.8k
5

Part 2 of the 5 part series

Updated 11/30/2023
Created 08/01/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The roc circled the fortress twice. On the walls and towers, hard-eyed soldiers followed its flight, weapons at the ready until the rider unfurled a banner. Then they lowered their pikes and crossbows, without relaxing their guard. Three years of bloody warfare had left the careless either dead or much wiser.

Elring Castle was little more than a border fortress, a squat keep with two tall towers and a thick wall surrounding a courtyard. A sturdy gatehouse kept watch over the contested frontier. On both towers flags flew: the white-and-blue of Menia on one, the three-headed griffon of Duke Gharre on the other.

With a rush of wind and wings, the giant bird landed in the courtyard. Its rider dismounted: a tall, lean woman in the tight leather of an experienced traveller, with the badge of the Prince of Zuellen. A messenger's satchel was slung over one shoulder. A stablehand with a mop of tight red curls rushed forward, followed by a gaggle of excited youths. Despite the war, rocs were still an uncommon sight.

The rider exchanged smiles and a few words with the stablehand, then tossed her the reins and, with a final pat on the bird's neck, turned to the black-robed chamberlain who had emerged to greet her.

She ran a hand through her short, spiky hair before giving the man the briefest of bows. "Avilia," she introduced herself. "From Prince Aran, with a message for the Duke."

The chamberlain, a slightly corpulent man with large, black eyes set in a pale face, nodded and led her into the keep. Behind them, the stablehand led the roc away to a corner of the yard, shouting instructions and admonishments at her helpers. The soldiers, seeing that the excitement was over, returned to their long watch.

Inside the stone keep, Avilia followed the robed man along narrow corridors and up winding stairs. The place had clearly been built for defence more than comfort. Narrow windows that were closer to arrowslits let in little light, and every few steps revealed a murder-hole or other defensive position.

Only when the chamberlain led her to the highest level and opened a wide door did pragmatism give way to opulence. A wide leaded window dominated the far wall, giving a view out across the rolling moorland. Heavy carpets decorated the walls and covered most of the floor to keep away the chill ingrained in the stone. The cold was kept further at bay by the fire that blazed in the broad stone fireplace, its flames dancing playfully across the tall silver candleholders placed around the chamber.

At the table, with his back to the window, stood a large, imposing man, head down over several large parchments. By his side stood a younger man, slimmer, in the gown of a clerk. He looked up as Avilia entered behind the chamberlain, and their eyes met.

She was aware that the chamberlain was speaking, and dragged her eyes to the large man, who had raised his head to look at her. His broad frame, she now saw, seemed to be pressed down by a great weight, and his face looked haggard. Not surprising, she supposed, after three years of bitter war.

His gaze was expectant. Despite the obvious mental and physical strain, his eyes were as hard as iron. Remembering to breathe, she stepped forward and gave a bow, drawing a sealed packet from her satchel and presenting it to him.

It was the other man who took it. Avilia willed herself not to look at his lean, handsome face, but failed. Their eyes met again, and he smiled courteously. "Thank you," he said. She smiled in return.

"Leave the poor lass alone, Mezler," the older man growled, taking the packet from him and examining the seal. "I'm sure the last thing she wants is my secretary trying to seduce her with his soft manners. Magnificent bird, girl," he continued, addressing Avilia. "A red-backed roc, am I right? Not bad as fighters, but speed and distance are where they excel."

She opened her mouth to speak, but fortunately the chamberlain glided past her. "Your Grace, perhaps we should allow the messenger to retire and rest while we read Prince Aran's letter."

"Perhaps." The large man, now confirmed as Duke Gharre, sat. He still held the unopened packet. "But first -- what's your name? Avilia? First, Avilia, is there any word of mouth accompanying the message?"

Why did her tongue feel like it was made of wool? She cleared her throat. "Only that the Prince is looking forward to marrying your daughter, Your Grace, and bringing peace to Menia and Zuellen." Those hadn't been Prince Aran's precise words. What he'd actually said was fat-arsed daughter of a bloodthirsty savage and I suppose I must, to end this cursed war.

From the Duke's expression he probably guessed as much. "Very well, girl. Thank you, you may go. Ask one of the guards outside to direct you to the barracks. There will be food and a bunk for you there. I'll have a reply to send Aran tomorrow."

"If I may, Your Grace?" The man named Mezler turned to her. "I should like to ask our messenger about her journey, and the conditions along the way."

It seemed as if the Duke would object, but the chamberlain cut in smoothly. "I fancy we can manage without your secretary, Your Grace." He turned a smile that was as slick as month-old oil on Mezler. His black eyes looked unnaturally large in his pallid face. "I doubt we'll need his expertise on history and heraldry. I myself can handle ink and quill well enough if a scribing emergency arises."

The younger man was nodding. "I fear I will have nothing to add to your deliberations."

The Duke grunted, and waived a dismissive hand. Avilia bowed low and followed the secretary out of the chamber. The corridor outside was lit by a pair of oil lamps. Soldiers stood guard on either side of the door. She saw a few more in a small open room opposite.

By now she had herself under control. "This is most kind of you, Master... Mezler, was it?" She stepped along beside him as he began to stride down the corridor. He smelled better than the last time they met. Why do I keep meeting him when I'm starved for sex?

"Not at all," he replied. Without looking at his face she knew the smile that he would be wearing. "I can serve His Grace better by speaking to you than as a silent watcher while he and Lord Brago talk. Wait here a moment."

By now they'd reached the end of the corridor. Stairs wound down and up. Instead of leading her down to the courtyard, Mezler opened a small door and went through it. He returned almost immediately, holding a platter with bread, cheese, cured meat and dried fruit. A wine flask was tucked precariously under his arm. "Could you take this?"

She didn't. "Are you planning to wine and dine me?"

He started up the stairs. "I thought you'd be hungry from your long journey. The battlements offer a quiet place where we can eat and talk."

Avilia hesitated, then followed him up. His pale grey gown covered his legs down to his knees, leaving only a pair of shapely calves visible, in tight sueded leather of a soft green.

It wasn't long before they emerged onto the castle's battlements. Besides the guards on the towers, the walls were empty. The small cluster of houses beyond were testament to the danger of living here. Further away from the frontier a town would have sprung up. Only the brave or desperate made their home here.

The secretary chose a spot midway along the battlements and sat, cross-legged, placing the flask and platter before him. "Come, eat," he said.

It was a pleasant day, Avilia had to admit. The autumn sun had fought its way through the cloud cover and bathed the stonework in a soft glow. High above a kestrel circled, occasionally calling a challenge into the slight wind. She sat down opposite Mezler. The familiar outline was visible against his thigh. She assumed he'd chosen to sit that way deliberately, so she ignored it.

Instead, she took the flask and drank. White wine with water, cool and refreshing. She watched as Mezler took a knife from his belt and carved a piece of sausage for her. "What, no suggestive comments?" she asked. "Nothing about how tasty your meat is?"

There was that smirk again. "Apparently you can come up with the remarks by yourself. How about you share that wine?"

For a while they ate and drank in silence. Avilia was hungrier than she'd realised. It had been a long journey from Prince Aran's camp. She'd left the evening before and flown until the early night set in, then she and Farflier had been airborne again as soon as the first rays of sunlight began to batter against the clouds.

"So tell me," she said eventually, "do these people know you're a fraud? I would have expected Duke Gharre to be more careful about who he took on as his secretary. Perhaps even checked with the University. Then he'd have known that Master Mezler is actually a lecherous scavenger going by the name of Sligh."

"What makes you think he didn't check?" asked Mezler -- or Sligh. "As I recall, I told you last time we met that I was a scholar."

"And I recall you using sorcery, and knowing quite a bit about demons. More than an honest University Master should."

He was wearing that insufferable grin again. "I suppose I'm a bit more worldly-wise than most of my colleagues."

"So what are you doing here? Don't try to convince me that you've settled down into an honest job. Six months ago you were trying to rape me underneath an ancient temple."

"Ah, good times!" he murmured. Avilia was unable to hold back a laugh.

"I suppose it was... interesting," she replied. She could feel herself begin to tingle at the memory -- like so often during the past months. She forced herself to push the feelings down. "I remember you squealing like a baby, with your cock trying to poke through your breeches and that demon's tentacles crawling up your legs."

"And I remember you with your legs spread wide and your fingers in your gash." The bulge along his thigh was growing visibly. "I can still see it before me..." His gaze dropped to her legs and then wandered back up, as if he could strip her leather riding breeches from her body with his eyes.

"Yes, you saw it." She leaned forward until their faces were almost touching. She could feel his breath, a little shallow perhaps. "But you didn't touch it. You didn't taste it. You didn't... fuck it." He gave a slight moan and she drew back swiftly. "And you're not going to today."

He closed his eyes for a moment and drew a deep breath. It felt good to be in control again after she'd made such a fool of herself earlier. It had caught her off-guard to see him suddenly in the flesh, looking just as he'd appeared in her fantasies. "You were going to tell me what you're doing here."

Taking a swig from the flask he settled back against the stonework and looked at her for a moment. "A job. But you're right, not an honest one. And that's why I've brought you up here. I need your help."

***

By the Skies, but she makes me hard! Sligh fought back the instinct to adjust himself. No need for her to know. It was impossible to disguise the effect entirely, of course, and he wouldn't want to. But he needed to maintain what dignity and control he could. As it was, she was already shooting the occasional mocking glance at his bulging breeches.

He was lucky that he'd recognised Avilia as she approached the castle on her roc. If she'd walked into that room unexpectedly, he'd probably have been left stammering. Particularly in the face of how cool she was. She didn't even blink an eye!

Even so, he wasn't sure he could have kept a grip on himself if his mind hadn't been half on the plan. Having Avilia here solves my difficulties! She's strong, she's quick-witted, she doesn't panic, she has long legs that end in that plump arse, and between them the pink, moist folds of her pussy, that dusting of curly hair above them.... He'd barely managed to drag his mind back to the problem at hand soon enough to prevent his cock from sticking its head out at the Duke's desk.

As it was, Sligh knew he had to speak to her quickly and get her on board. Prince Aran would be arriving in two days. So now he put an earnest look on his face and forced the memories down.

"I need your help." What was that look that flashed across her face? Disappointment? Interest? Whatever it was, it was gone in an instant and she regarded him in silence. "Minimal risk, and ample reward."

"Go on," she said.

Inwardly he smiled. "You find honest employment just as tedious as I do, don't you? Did you get a good price for that little trinket we found in the temple?"

Still her face was stony. "Took the first offer I got. The thing felt cursed. Or carried unpleasant memories, at least."

Somehow he didn't believe her. The dual sun disc had been a captivating talisman, and only a fool would have been in a hurry to sell it. And Avilia, from what he'd seen of her, was no fool.

He hurried on before she grew impatient. "The day after tomorrow Prince Aran and his people will arrive here -- or more precisely, at a place called Sage Meadow, a league away. The Duke will ride out to meet him with his own people, and with his daughter. There'll be speeches, a formal peace will be signed, and the Prince will be wedded to Lady Lesla, poor girl. Then feasting and celebration until the early hours."

"I know all this," Avilia said. She put a piece of cheese in her mouth and swallowed, then reached for the wine flask to wash it down. "Everyone does."

"Very well. Does everyone know that we -- you and I -- will be back here at Elring, robbing the treasury?"

She froze, the flask at her lips. Then she calmly drank and lowered the flask. "How? Wouldn't the Duke want his secretary at the ceremony? Or is that why you need me, so I can run the risk and you reap the reward?"

"I'm excused. It's widely known that I have a deathly fear of horses." He was proud of that deception.

She rose, wiping crumbs from her leathers. "Show me where I can sleep. I'll think about it."

He looked up at her. The view was enticing: her thighs in their leathers, the form-hugging jerkin, the curve of her jawline, the sun catching her spiky hair. "I was thinking you could sleep in my quarters tonight. We should talk some more."

She leaned down from the waist, her legs straight. Pressing her face up against his, she whispered in his ear, "I think we should keep it professional... for now. But when I'm fucking that redhaired woman from the stables tonight, I'll be thinking of you."

He let out a loud groan as she straightened up, laughing. Joke or not, his cock was like a bar of throbbing, molten metal against his thigh.

***

Avilia was conflicted as she followed Sligh back down the winding staircase. On the one hand, it was funny to watch his awkward walk, but on the other... Fuck that man! Fuck him, fuck him, fuck him! How had he hit on the same idea as she had?

What made it worse was that, knowing him, he was probably better prepared too. Fear of horses indeed! She'd only hit on the idea that morning, as she flew over Sage Meadow and realised how far it was from the Duke's fortress. A deserted castle, a largely unguarded treasury... Even after three years of war, even considering that the Duke would only have taken enough ready gold with him to cover immediate expenses, it would still be a rich prize.

She needed money, of course. Otherwise she wouldn't have taken service with Zuellen as a messenger.

Inside her jerkin she could feel the golden disc of the dual suns burning against her skin. Despite what she'd told Sligh, she hadn't been able to sell it. She'd been offered gold and gems, but somehow she couldn't bring herself to part with it. It's value will only go up, she told herself, the more people hear about it.

Very well, she'd pretend to give Sligh's proposition some thought -- the one about the robbery, that was. She'd spent plenty of time already thinking about his other proposition during the past months. But she was still shaken by how badly she'd lost control at the sudden sight of him. So they'd be professional, at least until this job was over -- and in the meantime perhaps she'd find out whether that redhead was interested.

She was. An hour or so later, Avilia found herself pressed up against a wooden wall in the stables. Vonrai, the redhead, had sent her helpers packing and bolted the door, and was running her hands over Avilia's hips. The sounds and smells of the horses faded into the background.

Their lips were locked and Vonrai's tongue had forced itself into Avilia's mouth, twisting and thrusting like a snake. Is this an indication of what else she can do? Avilia wondered. Usually she preferred to be in control of her lovemaking, but the stablewoman had seized the initiative and for once Avilia was happy to let it all happen, surrendering to the strong, capable hands and eager tongue.

The other woman broke off the kiss and looked into her eyes, their faces less than a handspan apart. "Get naked," she commanded. "I want to see you. And then I'm going to stick my tongue in every hole in your body."

Avilia shivered as the redhead stepped back, watching expectantly. Slowly at first, then faster, Avilia began to unhook the fastenings of her jerkin, pulling it off her shoulders and tossing it on the straw that covered the stable floor. Her undershirt followed, leaving her naked from the waist up.

Vonrai was eyeing her almost hungrily, that long tongue darting across her lips as she gazed at the small mounds of Avilia's breasts. Running her fingers over her skin, from her neck across her nipples and down, Avilia unlaced her breeches. Her hands moved more slowly now as she saw the tension rise in the other woman's eyes.

Breeches and undergarments fell to the straw in a heap, and she stepped out of them one foot at a time. She left her soft knee-high boots on.

Vonrai was tearing off her own clothes, revealing first soft plump breasts on a broad, muscled frame, then wide hips and full thighs. Her skin was pale and freckled, with a bush of red hair that matched the curls on her head.

They stood for a moment, taking in each other's bodies, then Avilia let Vonrai push her up against the wall again. Her wrists were seized in an iron grip, her arms were raised above her head, a strong thigh slipped between her legs and press against her. She could feel her juices coat the other woman's knee, and she ground herself down. The other woman was gazing into her eyes as if trying to read her reaction.

Avilia's wrists were released as the redhead's calloused hands let go and found her breasts instead. Rough thumbs rubbed her nipples and she gasped. Then she felt herself grabbed by the shoulders and spun round. Vonrai's naked body pressed against her back, the plump breasts soft against her skin. That long tongue explored her neck, making her shiver again, then slowly it slipped down along her spine until it reached the cleft of her arse.

Strong hands pulled her buttocks apart and hot breath glided over her crack. Up and down Vonrai's tongue slid, making Avilia squirm. A moan escaped from her mouth and she heard the redhead give a low laugh.

Then the hot tongue crept further down until it found Avilia's hole. A gentle touch, then another, and then it pushed hard into the tight ring. In and out it probed, pressing a little further each time, drawing more moans and gasps from deep within Avilia. Close by a horse snorted, as if in response.

A horse.

Vonrai continued to lick and probe, then Avilia felt her tongue slow and stop. The other woman rose and leaned against Avilia's now tense back, breathing in her ear. "You don't really want this, do you?" When Avilia didn't reply, she spoke again. "No, you do want this, just not from me."

Avilia forced herself to relax, feeling her shoulders slump. "Sorry," she breathed. That fucking man! she thought. Even when he's not around, he's in my head.