The Saga of Tythoros Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Tythoros' legs were as tireless as his arms and other muscles, but his energy was still limited. What's more, he was still exhausted from all the rampant intercourse with...

He finally collapsed. As far as Tythoros had run, he could go no further. Athens was many leagues away, and so was every other city. He was standing in an open field, with no roads, buildings, or people in sight.

He was alone. Lost and alone.

His knees on the cold, hard ground, Tythoros raised his red and tear-filled eyes to the only lights in view. With every breath he could muster, he lifted his head toward the stars and screamed "WHY?!"

"Mighty gods of Olympus," he shouted, "if any of my works have ever done you good, please hear me and answer me! I beg of you, please tell me what I have done to deserve this cruel fate! Please tell me my crimes and how I may atone for them! Please show me how to set my wife's soul at rest or send me down to join her! JUST DO SOMETHING!"

Tythoros crumpled back down to the ground. "Just please do something, I beg of you," he whimpered as tears poured from his eyes.

"Why do you pray so loudly?" said a voice.

Tythoros jumped back. He was startled to find a handsome young stranger standing nearby, merely a boy in the prime of his youth. The hair on his chin looked like it was his first beard.

"The gods can hear you clearly," the boy continued, "so why do you scream at them thus?"

"Who are you?" Tythoros coughed, for his throat had gone sore from shouting. "How did you come all the way out here so quickly and quietly?"

"I came hither with these," said the boy, using a golden wand to point toward his sandals. There on his feet, glistening in the moonlight, were winged sandals of never-dying gold.

Tythoros immediately kneeled before the boy, recognizing him as none other than the immortal Hermes. "Praise be to the merciful Zeus," he rasped, "for he has sent his son to carry my ghost to the underworld."

Hermes put a reassuring hand on Tythoros' shoulder. "My father sent me to do no such thing," spoke the god. "I am to guide you someplace else."

"Where?" Tythoros pleaded to know. "Great messenger of the gods, what would you do with me?"

"Though you killed your beloved in defending your own life, you did kill her nonetheless," said Hermes. "Would you truly work to set her soul at rest and redeem yourself in the eyes of the gods for this crime?"

"I would do anything for such redemption, great shepherd of men."

"Then leave your wife to the people of Athens," Hermes replied. "They will ensure that she safely passes though the gates of Hades with all the proper burial rites, and I will escort you to the place where you may atone for her death."

"Where?" asked Tythoros.

"We will go from the kingdom of Athens," answered Hermes, "to the kingdom of Thebes. There, you will meet the king Ammochrusios and tell him of your plight. You will perform any task he demands of you, and so earn absolution in the eyes of the gods."

Tythoros rose to his feet. "If the will of this king is the will of the gods, then I swear it shall be done."

In response, the giant-killing guide imbued Tythoros with fresh spirit. "Then come," he said. "Together, we shall arrive by daybreak."

***

The story will continue shortly in Chapter 3. In the meantime, your comments and feedback are more than welcome.

Special thanks to GentWithHandcuffs, who generously agreed to review this chapter.

12