The Shieldmaidens Lover Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"How power hungry is he?" Marcus asked.

Koren looked at Marcus for several long moments, letting the silence draw out. "Enough that you have a right to be worried about her."

Marcus blinked and began to protest when Koren held up his hand. "I can see the love in your eyes. As for Elwyn she has always kept herself so guarded that it is impossible to tell if there is emotion there at all."

Marcus sighed and ran a hand through his hair "Am I that obvious?"

Koren laughed softly and shook his head "No but I have recognized that look on many of our kindred's faces, not the least my own. But she wanted nothing of us, trying so hard to be the son her father wanted. Even I who have known her since birth and grown up at her side could not reach her heart." There was a sad sort of smile on his face as Koren looked at Marcus. Koren turned and looked straight ahead as Marcus disappeared back inside. Not knowing what else to do Marcus lay down on the cot and forced his eyes closed but found it difficult to sleep without her beside him. He tossed and turned restlessly until he heard Elwyn safely back in her tent not far from him and weariness finally claimed him.

Chapter 19

He awoke late afternoon as the sun was beginning to set on the western horizon. Taking a deep breath he smelled the tray of hot food that was on the small table in the tent. He ate and drank his fill, as he hadn't had a decent meal in two days. He got up and went to the front of his tent to gaze out at the people who imprisoned him. He saw everyone beginning to pack up their things from the clearing, loading them into bags and onto carts. He wasn't surprised to see Koren still standing at the entrance to the tent.

"Ah you are awake" the sentry said. "I have orders to escort you to the tent of meeting" Koren motioned in front of him and began to walk. Marcus followed and glanced towards Elwyn's tent as they moved. In a hushed voice the man said "She is not there. She slept for an hour or two and was up again."

Marcus nodded and asked "What is going on? Why is everyone packing?"

"The Princess has decreed that there are enough of us banded together that we should reclaim the castle that was once our pride and glory. We will have a better defense there should Earlar come for us." Marcus nodded slightly as they continued walking. Koren opened the flap of the tent allowing Marcus to enter. Koren gave a bow to those assembled inside and took his post outside the tent. Marcus saw a long table in front of him with Elwyn sitting at the middle, her eyes looking tired. To her right there was a row of the Council of Elders and to her left the Senate, Donovan sitting directly to her left as well as many of his lieutenants. She stood up giving a slight curtsey and motioned to a chair in front of the long table for Marcus to use if he so wished.

"Please state your case before the council General Marcus." She sat back down and watched him silently.

He took a deep breath, and chose to remain standing before he spoke. "I have come to beseech your people for aid. King Earlar is no longer in his right mind. He is consumed by grief and the dark words of his Chancellor Raygar. I also suspect there is some magical devilry involved." He looked at Elwyn for a moment "As the Princess has said there is evidence of his strength as a magician on her hand." All looked towards Elwyn eyes moving to her hand sitting regally on her lap still baring the light blue mark from the spell.

There were soft murmurs from the members before he continued. "I have no wish for more bloodshed, but Earlar has commanded me to end the war. He also knows through the chancellor that I intent do disobey his orders. But I can not turn my troops against him alone. I come to plea for your help, for together we can defeat this foe and end the long war between our peoples." There was silence for several long moments before the soft murmuring began between the council members. Elwyn was silent, listening, and watching the reactions.

One of the older gentleman stood up and addressed Marcus. "Why should we trust

you, who have been our enemy these long years?"

Marcus looked at each of the members of council in turn and finally said bluntly "Do you have a choice?" He looked to Elwyn for a moment and then turned and pointed out the door. "Look what your people have been reduced too." He moved his gaze to the other council members. "I remember a great Elven nation that fell once in battle in a thousand years and it can be so again. But not by this senseless hatred or hiding till Earlar comes to destroy what is left of your people." There were more quiet murmurs among the council members.

Another gentleman sitting next to Elwyn, obviously of high prestige got to his feet. "And what of your crimes against us? Do you repent for those sons, those brothers, those fathers that fell to your sword General?"

Marcus stiffened and met the gaze of the old man. "Is it a crime to follow ones King? A crime to obey orders?"

There was a sardonic laugh from the old man "When the king is in the wrong it is the duty of his generals to inform him of such."

Beginning to get angry Marcus replied "You don't think I tried? You don't think that I had enough guilt with my wife's death on my hands that I needed any more with killing others?"

"You could have always resigned" the old man said.

Finally Elwyn had enough of the banter and she stood up "Gentleman, please. We are not here to discuss the past. We are here to decide what best course to take to ensure our survival. The grand council will meet later to discuss the fate of our guest." All murmured their apologies and she sat back down. For the briefest moment she met Marcus' eyes and then moved back to the others at the table. She spoke softly with the men on either side of her before speaking again. "The council will consider your proposal. When something is decided you will be informed."

Marcus bowed to the council and spoke in a calmer tone "Thank you for hearing my case." Koren walked back in, bowing to the council and escorted Marcus out. Elwyn's gaze followed Marcus as he left as did all the council members. Marcus got outside and ran a hand back thru his hair and he was startled when he felt a gentle hand on his shoulder. He turned and looked to Koren who had a soft sad smile on his face.

"No wars were won in a day. You have done all you can." Perhaps it was something in the soldiers tone but Marcus felt comforted. Marcus nodded to Koren and they continued walking. Back at the tent Marcus was restless. There were too many questions in his mind. What was taking so long to decide? Did Elwyn truly love him? Why was she being so cold? Why did she not give him a glimmer of hope to hold on to with a kind gaze? He finally sat down on the cot and put his head in his hands. He knew he needed to calm down. He had been agitated since the moment the Elven sentries pointed their arrows at him that first night but he was so anxious for things to go rightly. Koren came in soon after "We are leaving." And as they walked outside, the tent was packed up quickly and efficiently behind them.

"We are leaving now?"

"The princess has decreed we should go back to Ennonlai."

Marcus frowned and looked up at the darkening night around them. "But what about the decision of the council?"

Koren shook his head and said "A decision will be made when we get there." Marcus shook his head and muttered "We are running out of time."

There was a solemn expression on Koren's face "We are all running out of time"

giving him a meaningful glance but did not explain further as they joined the caravan.

12