The Shieldmaidens Lover Pt. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She whispered in a voice only slightly softer then her form felt against him. "Go. Marcus, your armies will not succeed without you."

He looks down at her face and touched her cheek and felt her growing a more pliant in his arms. "You don't know that for a fact" he whispered.

He began to lower his lips to hers and she pulled back. "I do know it for a fact. You must go now before its too late."

There was pain in his eyes as she withdrew herself not only emotionally from him, but now physically as well. "I will not leave you here" he replied, his own anger rising. She pulled from him and she put her hand to the wall. A moment later the wall opened completely creating a small door. He glanced out and realized they were far from where they had been, traveling straight beneath the castle to the outer walls.

"You have no choice!" her voice hissed in the darkness. Mirrored in each others eyes was the fire and the stubbornness of a will that refused to bend. "I will not give in to despair just because you think it's your time to die because a bunch of power hungry fools say so." She moved closer and pointed her finger at his chest "You brought me back here Marcus. You brought me back to a people who were once long dead to me." Her voice raised as much as she dared without drawing the castle guard. "It is YOU who convinced me to go on this suicide mission that will likely destroy us both in its wake. But I will not give up because it is too late for that."

Her words cut him deeply in her accusations and he even took a step back from her as she advanced. As he looked into her eyes it was a whole different woman who seemed to dwell there now. One of fire and ice and none of the warmth he had come to know. And then he did something he had never done before. He backed down, changing his own stubborn mind and silently moved towards the open door. She watched him go as he began to turn back to her. She spoke softly just loud enough for him to hear.

"Let sweeter words wait for a sweeter time. Every moment you tarry there is more chance they will find you." There was a softened but resigned expression on his face, giving her a nod as he disappeared into the night.

Marcus ran thru the darkness at a speedy pace but he was well aware he had a long way to go before he was safe. He followed the direction of the moon while still keeping to the shadows. He ran till the sun was high in the sky and finally lay down to rest in the hollow of an old dead tree. He remained there until the sun was setting and the shadows played heavily on the ground. It was another night and a morning before he finally came back to his camp, exhausted. But he knew there was no time to rest.

He went to the main tent in the compound and opened the flaps. All went silent as they stared at him.

Caspar ran up to him and they embraced. "We thought you were dead for sure" Caspar said in a hushed tone.

Marcus nodded. "It almost was so. Elwyn forced me to escape before they could carry out their sentence."

Caspar kept a hand on Marcus' shoulder and the men in the tent began talking quietly again. "She was right to do so. I have not the mind for strategy you have." Marcus nodded and allowed Caspar to lead him over to one of the maps. "We have your legions at your southern estates moving north towards us. Our spies have told us that Earlar has at least outnumbered our troops four to one. I take it from the fact they were going to kill you they didn't agree to fight so..."

Marcus interrupted. "Quite the contrary. They agreed to fight." his voice was a little more solemn. "I convinced them that neither of us would win by fighting separately. But they decided I would have to stand trials for my crimes." Caspar began to voice his protest too such logic when Marcus' hand went up to stop him. Marcus sat down at the table with the maps in front of him and studied them for a moment. "The elves will join us here. No more than two thousand troops" pointing to a place between their encampment and the elves. "It will take us at least a day to assemble the combined troops in some kind of order once we get there." He then traces a line towards the north and said "Its at least a three day journey to where Earlar's forces as stationed outside the city."

"But with the dark wizard on his side he will not wait for us to come to him. We will have to leave in the morning" Caspar replied. "Or else they will catch us unprepared."

Marcus nodded and got up from the table. "Tell everyone to pack everything but the most basic necessities tonight. We leave at dawn."

As he walked out Caspar followed and pulled him aside speaking in hushed tones.

"Are you sure they will join us in time Marcus?" The general looked at his second in command and life long friend but he could find no words of comfort as he walked silently out of the tent. He wasn't sure of anything anymore. It seemed as if the very world he stood on had been pulled out from under him. He walked into his tent and looked around, half expecting to see her lying there asleep. He shook the image from his mind feeling as if his heart would break in two with the prospect of being without her. He told himself it would only be a few days until she was with him, even if it was across a battlefield of imperial soldiers. She would be there. He held on to that thought as if it was a lifeline as he lay down to sleep in a proper bed for the first time in many long nights.

Chapter 23

Three days had passed since Marcus's return and they had moved westward to the planned position but there was still no sign of the Elves. His scouts had told him that Earlar's armies were practically upon them, assembled and ready for battle several miles north of their encampment. The few women that traveled with them had been told to fall back as far away from the battle as possible. The last thing Marcus wanted was more innocent blood on his hands. Seeing Earlar's army beginning to march over the horizon he mounted Morgenstern and road to the front of the camps. "Elwyn where are you?" he muttered himself.

As if in answer to his prayers and in shock to all the scouts he had posted in the woods, the Elven army emerged from the foliage, silent as a summer breeze. But to his surprise it was General Donovan at the head of the armies and not Elwyn. The other army moved silently and took their places beside Marcus' men on the field. As he scanned the troops he was grateful to see half of the soldiers were on horseback, and those who didn't had large quivers of arrows and beautiful curved swords. They had a chance now. Perhaps not a good one as outnumbered as they were, but hope it seemed trickled through the ranks. Whispers as soldiers straightened, eyes grew fierce, lips set in a firm line of determination.

Marcus rode up to Donovan and narrowed his eyes at the man. "Where is Elwyn?"

A wicked smile curved the other mans lips as he responded "The Princess?" he accented the words as if he detested using them, and noted how Marcus had failed to do so. "Oh yes. She grew ill quickly. An ailment of the heart it seemed." He stared into Marcus' eyes watching the rage grow in their depths. "She will not be joining us. She has appointed me to be commander in her place."

Marcus gripped the reigns of his beloved horse tight so he didn't go for his sword. He stared at the other man with hatred pouring from every pore of his skin. "So help me if you've harmed her..."

"What does she matter to you, Butcher? Another Elf to rape and pillage because none of your own would have you?" Marcus unsheathed his sword and pointed it at Donovan to the delight of the elf general who realized that all had turned to watch the spectacle. Suddenly he felt a hand touch his shoulder as Garenth rode up beside him. Marcus looked into his comrades eyes for a moment before lowering his weapon and turned to Donovan.

"When this is over Donovan, if you live to see the dawn, we will settle this." With that Marcus reigned his horse and rode back in front of his own troops with Garenth close behind. He took the center, Caspar took the right, and Garenth took the left of the human forces and Donovan stood poised in front of the entire Elven army when King Earlar's troops rode up. Marcus couldn't help looking to the east, trying to stop the fear from filling her heart of what had happened to the woman he loved. He moved his hand over the necklace tucked underneath his shirt and thought a silent prayer that she was safe, and he would return to her.

The King and two other men on horseback rode towards the center of the field, and the four leaders of the opposing army went out to meet them for a parley. Marcus looked into the eyes of the King, and his former comrades Heiljuk and Conrad and saw nothing but darkness in their depths.

It was Conrad who finally spoke but did not even acknowledge the presence of General Donovan. "Surrender your armies and your lands and swift justice will be granted in return for atonement."

Marcus new this to be a polite way of saying we'll kill you quickly if you surrender, or very slow and painful if taken alive. He grimaced. The king had never stooped to such threats before. Raygar had to be behind it. "There will be justice..." and Marcus turned his horse around, leading the generals back to their armies. Just as they reached the front line, Earlar's forces began to march forward, but Earlar stayed behind with the archers, leaving his two generals to lead his troops.

Marcus held up his hand, signaling to his men to hold their positions. Donovan drew his sword and cut an arch in the sky above him and all at once a shower of arrows rained down on the opposition. A second wave of arrows flew with deadly accuracy from the Elven bows before Marcus' troops began to advance.

The sounds of battle filled Marcus' ears as the green field grew red with blood. The ground cared not if it was elf or human blood but accepted it all the same. Marcus fought his way through the crowds, Morgenstern staying true through the horrors that surrounded him. A hundred men and elves broke through the line of enemy soldiers and rode hard towards the king when a second wave of skilled soldiers greeted their swords.

As he fought Marcus saw something strange. Men whom he knew to be skilled warriors were falling from superficial wounds. He pulled back the reigns of Morgenstern and knelt beside one soldier, checking a pulse. From what he could tell there was only one cut on his body, a slice down the length of his arm. Upon close examination of the wound, it did not look like the red color of torn flesh, but black and tarnished as if black ink had crawled into the wounds and through the mans veins. He swore under his breath and got back on Morgenstern. He called back to his comrades "Their blades are poisoned!" He looked back over the battle. Thirty thousand men locked in combat. He turned towards the King and hate grew in his heart but to his shock and surprise, where he had seen the king retreat there was now an empty patch of ground. He had to get through and find out what happened.

He fought through one, two, ten and then suddenly was face to face in a man in blood red leather armor. He watched as the man killed several of his troops in a matter of moments before the figure turned slowly and looked straight at Marcus. A cruel grin crossed the familiar face of the Chancellor. Marcus held up his sword and charged at him, letting all the rage within him fuel his motions. Ragar met his sword with ease and said.

"Ah if it isn't the poor love sick general." Blades retreated and collided again. "How fares your sweet elf Queen?" Ragar stared at Marcus, pushing his blade against his until Marcus stumbled and was forced to take several steps back. Marcus' anger grew fierce and he lunged at Raygar, but the man parried each thrust with expert swordsmanship. All other fighting seemed to move back from the two men locked in combat, leaving a wide berth of movement, and Marcus wondered if it was some devilry on the part of Raygar.

For some time the two swordsmen were equally matched in skill and strength. Time seemed to stand still inside the eerily perfect circle of open ground that had formed around them. Slowly both men began to grow weary, sweat gleaming off their skin but still Ragar continued to heckle Marcus with every blow and parry from his sword. "I did not see your lady on the field. Quite cowardly not coming to battle to at least witness all her people destroyed." The thrusts of Marcus' blade became more deadly with his caged fury and Ragar began showing signs of weakening.

Marcus advanced and spoke in tone that was filled with the blood lust the battle had instilled. "It is you who are the coward Ragar! Poisoning the King against his own near kin." With that Marcus' blade connected with the side of Ragar's armor hard enough to destroy part of the leather covering the mans arm.

Ragar stumbled back and looked at his ruined armor and spoke in a low barely audible voice. "I have had enough with you Marcus." The mans hand thrust towards Marcus even as the general charged towards him, intent on the kill. Muttered words went unheard, drowned out by the battle noise. Just as Marcus drew his blade towards the mans head a burst of energy exploded from Raygar's extended hand, sending Marcus flying back and leveling all the soldiers who were close to them with the aftershocks.

Marcus felt a blinding pain through his body, having taken the brunt of the force of the spell. As he stood back up he moved his hand to his chest, knowing several of his ribs were broken.

"Still not had enough Marcus? Then by all means..." Marcus held his sword close, getting to his feet and walked back towards his adversary. Marcus raised his sword and Raygar blocked easily. "You are no match for me Marcus. But do not feel bad neither was the King." Marcus looked at him, dumbstruck for a moment, as he processed his words. Marcus suddenly realized it had been his plan all along.

"You wont get away with this. They will never make you King."

Raygar thrust towards Marcus and said with ease. "Oh they will. After I tell them that the king died at your hands." Another thrust, hitting Marcus around his waist, cutting through his armor and drawing blood. "And your head mounted on a pole." Marcus continued to fight, both men locked in combat with a renewed vigor. As they fought on it seemed that Raygar only grew stronger, while Marcus tired, more blood trickling from his form as his reflexes slowed and his armor deteriorated. "You are no match for me Marcus."

"Maybe I'll Surprise you" Marcus parried and knocked Raygar's sword out of the way. Before he could fix his error Marcus sliced his sword as hard as he could across the weak point of Raygar's armor at the shoulder. He felt his blade dig deep into the mans shoulder, an a howl of pain escaping the other mans lips. Marcus staggered back, staring at the bleeding man as Raygar's arm hanging limp at his side. Raygar cursed and muttered under his breath and threw something in Marcus' direction. A small pouch of powder his him square in the chest, bursting open and showering him with a fine red dust. The air became too thick to breathe and his hand went to his throat, falling to his knees. Raygar moved forward standing in front of Marcus, wanting to watch him draw his last breath as he suffocated from the ancient spell.

Marcus barely saw Ragar turn around in shock as a soldier ran up behind him, and almost didn't react in time to meet the sword that had aimed to take his head from his shoulders.

"How did you get past the barrier" Ragar said in awe. As all watched, what had become an instinctual urge to stay away from the men fighting revealed itself as a black circle surrounding the three and there was a shimmer of luminescence in the air around the figures. As the soldier took a step back Marcus gasped for breath, air slowly beginning to return to his lungs as the concentration of his adversary turned away and the spell began to fade. Ragar pointed his sword towards the soldier and said "Answer me!" The soldier in silence held up a sword, it gleamed in the dim light, the handle set with sapphires and rubies. A hushed voice echoed from beneath the helmet in an almost forgotten language and runes on the length of a blade began to glow with an inner light. His eyes suddenly jerked from the blade to the ground when the helmet fell with a thud. His eyes traveled up the soldiers armor and his mouth dropped open. He saw a long auburn braid draped over a strong shoulder, a scratch across the side of the cheek, a drop of blood marring the pale flesh and the fiery blue eyes of Elwyn.

Chapter 24

"No...Its not possible...you were supposed to be taken care of..." he staggered.

Elwyn's eyes narrowed, never once leaving the gaze of the cruel man in front of her. She struck towards him with her blade, putting all the force she could muster behind it, making him fall to the ground to avoid being hit.

She approached and looked down at him. "So it was you all along...how long have you been planning this Raygar? Five...ten years?" Raygar tried to get to his feet but just as he did she thrust her sword forcing him to meet it with his own, but the force of the blow made him fall back to the ground. The exertion caused blood to flow down his armor from the deep wound on his arm and his breathing came more quickly.

Raygar spat blood at her feet and muttered. "You were supposed to be dead long ago Elf Queen. It was all laid out pretty as a picture until the Butchers men got greedy." Her eyes widened and she took a step back. She realized that the treachery went as deep as Donovan lusting for power, but she had no idea that the plans had been laid long before at the initial battle for her city. She glanced towards Marcus for the briefest of moments, her eyes registering his unconscious form. She then returned her gaze to Raygar and there was a fire in her sapphire eyes that would strike fear into the heart of any man.

"Get up and fight me, or run like the coward you are." She stepped back allowing Raygar to get to his feet. But she gave him no more grace than that before she began to attack with all the strength she could muster. Her anger in truth coming out through her sword as metal clashed against metal countless times. She brought her sword down towards Raygar's sword arm she just had enough time to register his left hand moving towards her, mumbled words under his breath. She dove out of the way, hitting the ground with a thud, her sword sliding away from her grip as the ball of deadly force flew from Raygar's hand over her head. She swore under her breath and turned onto her back, edging back towards where the sword of kings that had protected the monarchy from the beginning of time and lay just beyond her reach.

He loomed over her and muttered "I should have killed you myself." Just as she lunged towards her sword, she felt the cold metal of Raygar's blade thrust through her thigh as it slipped through the weak point of her armor, a blow meant for her heart had she not moved in time. She managed not to scream as the pain rushed through her body, but could immediately tell he had narrowly missed severing the main artery in her leg. She felt the blade leave her flesh, spilling her blood over her leg. Raygar grinned and watched her pant for breath, unmoving on the ground and he stepped closer. His legs were on either side of hers, his sword held in both hands, the point hovering above her chest. She let her head back and he smirked.

"I never thought you would be so easy to kill." He lunged forward, just as her fingers closed around her sword, knocking his out of the way and replacing it with her own. Time seemed to slow down as she kicked his feet out from under him, making him loose his balance further and fall onto her sword. There was a scream, as the man laying over her shuddered and finally went still, the sword of kings thrust through his armor into his heart. An explosion of energy leveled the fighting, destroying the invisible barrier that had kept all others out.