The Silver Guardian Bk. 01 Ch. 07

Story Info
Dante prepares for the mating ceremony and shows off a bit.
4.7k words
4.75
15.8k
25

Part 8 of the 45 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 06/01/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A huge thank you to my editor and friend Tex Beethoven for another fantastic chapter that he polished and collaborated on to make it what it is! Thanks Tex you rock!

Book 1

Chapter 7

As Dante, Alpha Odin and Ben, and most of the other Betas, mostly men but also some women, gathered in front of the Manor House, Odin addressed the group. "As usual, we'll warm up with a run, and beginning this morning, Dante will be joining us.

"Dante, we'll be running for 10 miles through the trails and forest, ending up at the gym for a good workout. After that we'll break for lunch, then return and begin hand to hand training and sparring.

"Everyone, since this is Dante's first day with the Pack, I want you each to take some time to introduce yourselves to him throughout the day and provide support as he needs it."

He looked around and everyone nodded. "Alright people, let's head out."

Odin led them all on a very quick pace into the woods with Ben flanking his right and Dante on his left, easily keeping up, especially with his formerly injured knee working perfectly. Dante was glad he'd kept up his training and conditioning after his injury and discharge, otherwise he would have been in trouble; the Pack members with them were all strong and keeping up without any trouble.

For forty minutes they had run all over the mountains and forest, and many were breathing hard and had worked up a good sweat. Dante had been running at about 60% speed most of the time and was just fine, but still sweating hard, pleased to be pushing himself again after taking the last few days off with everything that had happened.

When they were about 500 yards from the finish point of their run, Odin yelled out, "Ok everyone, sprint at full power to the finish!" Odin surged forward, leading the Pack with Ben just a few steps behind him, and the rest of the pack following at varying distances.

Suddenly Dante blazed past everyone in a blur and surged far ahead of them all! He was waiting and panting at the clearing in front of the Manor House as Odin, Ben and the rest of the men and women covered the final 200 yards to catch up with him and stopped.

Ben and Odin, breathing hard, walked up to Dante and Ben spoke, "By Luna, that was amazing! How in the hell were you able to do that!?"

Dante grinned, and after catching his breath responded, "Growing up in the orphanage, I always had to watch my back and take care of myself, so I got rather fast and started learning to protect myself. Once I joined the Navy I just got faster and stronger, but when I joined the Teams is when I sharpened everything to a razor's edge. On my last mission when the RPG exploded next to me and nearly killed me, I was messed up bad and had to be discharged. My knee was fucked but I worked back to the best I could as quickly as possible. But after my first shift last night, my knee was healed when I shifted back, and today I'm faster and stronger than I've ever been in my life! Something strange also happened, all my scars faded, so none of them are quite so prominent anymore, and Lily was the first to notice my physique is even more sculpted and defined, and I'm even bigger and stronger than I was before. But strangest of all is that there's a symbol like a dark birthmark over my heart now, two swords crossed with a crescent moon above them."

By this point the rest of the men and women had gathered around them and were listening to the conversation. Ben and Odin looked at each other with curiosity. Odin asked, "Dante, can you show us that symbol on your chest? We've never heard of or seen anything like that before, let alone happening after a shift, first or otherwise."

Dante nodded willingness and peeled off his damp tank top. Everyone had gathered round and gasped as his chest and torso came into view. With his muscles engorged from the run and sweat glistening off his body he looked as if a warrior god had descended to earth to walk among them! The women in the group were all staring and squirming while even the men were blown away by what they saw. Both Ben and Odin looked closely at the large symbol in its place of prominence on Dante's chest, muttering under their breath.

Odin cleared his throat, "I've never seen that symbol before Dante, and don't know what it means, but there's obviously a significance to it, and I'll look through the Pack history and legends and some other sources, to see what I can find out. Give me some time, and I'll try to have some information for you. Either way it's clear that you've been blessed by our Goddess Luna. I don't know why, but I'm sure we'll find out in time."

Dante exhaled as he stared at his future father in law, "Lily said the same thing last night. For now, I'm not going to worry about it. I have enough on my plate as it is, so no reason to add more to it right now."

Everyone nodded in agreement before Ben asked Dante a question. "You've mentioned your time with the Teams; what Team were you on, and you've mentioned it affected you. How did it?" Odin's eyes sharpened and narrowed; Dante had made mention of this several times since they'd met but hadn't elaborated.

Dante smiled broadly with pride, "I was the point man for Alpha Fire Team Two of the US Navy SEALs for the last four years before my discharge. They told me I was one of the most dangerous and deadly point men any of the teams had ever had in their history. Looking back now, knowing my lycan heritage, it makes more sense than it ever did at the time. I laugh now at the irony, but my nickname on the Teams was Wolf," he finished with a chuckle.

As Odin listened to Dante explain he'd been a SEAL, he gazed at Ben with a look of shared amazement: none of their kind had ever been in the military, the risk of exposure was just too great. So with the training Dante had received in the Teams, combined with his size, speed and strength, Odin and Ben and the rest assembled began to comprehend just how dangerous and skilled this wolf soldier might really be. When Dante told them his nickname on the Teams was Wolf, everyone burst into loud raucous laughter! Odin was holding his stomach, leaning upright against Ben, who himself couldn't stop laughing and shaking in mirth. If those guys had only known!

Odin wiped his eyes clear and after getting his breathing back under control, said to Dante, "That's fucking hilarious, the irony is so sweet! But moving on from that, we had no idea about your background and training. I suspect as we begin our own training today we may learn as much from you as you learn from us. Today we'll be working in our human forms, but over the coming months we'll train you in your wolf form as well, and before long you'll be just as lethal if not more so, as a wolf. Let's all head to the gym to work out, then we'll all grab lunch. After that, we'll meet at the training center for hand to hand combat training, and some sparring."

***

After a solid workout in the Pack gym, with Dante spending a good portion of time with the heavy bag, he exulted in feeling nearly pain free for the first time since he could remember. His knee was back to 100% as if it had never been torn apart, and the pain and scars from his wounds were nearly gone too, with just a little tightness and tenderness here and there. Ben and Odin had been his companions all morning, talking with him and all three getting to know each other better. Ben was mated with Sara, who was also a Beta and one of the Pack Enforcers; they didn't have any pups yet, but were hoping that in one of Sara's upcoming heats Luna would bless them with one.

Sara introduced herself as well while they were working out, as did most of the other men and women there, and Dante started to feel more and more welcomed into the Pack, more and more like he was home for the first time in his life!

At lunch Dante didn't see Lily in the dining room and was a little disappointed he'd missed her. Odin noticed, so he leaned in and explained softly, "You'll see her tonight; it's tradition for Alpha and Alpha Heir pairs to be separated on the day of their mating until the ceremony: there are some parallels between our customs and traditional human marriages. But tonight will be here before you know it, plus we still have sparring to do this afternoon before I help you prepare for your ceremony. I know you've never known a father before, but it's traditional for a father to assist the 'groom' in preparations for a mating. Since you don't have one, if you don't mind I'd like to step in and be that for you, son."

Dante had never known the love and support of a father before, and when he heard Odin call him 'son' for the first time, it nearly broke the fragile hold he had on his emotions with all that was going on. His eyes watered a little as he looked at his soon-to-be father in law and replied with a voice thick with emotion, "I'd like that, Alpha Odin, I'd like that very much; thank you."

Alpha Odin smiled with his eyes growing a little wet himself, and spoke just to Dante, quietly, "I think it's about time you begin calling me Dad. It will be official as of tonight, but it's certainly appropriate now. Lily and Michael mean everything to Victoria and me and there's nothing we wouldn't do for them. Lily was my firstborn and my only little girl, she always will be, and I will always be her father. You're the man Luna chose for our daughter, and we will love and welcome you to our family; and now that I've gotten to know you just this little bit so far, that's not just pro forma. I'd be honored if you'd call me Dad."

It was official: the tough guy was crying, although not sobbing. Small tracks of tears were running down Dante's face and his breath caught in his throat as very quietly he said, "Thanks Dad, I can't tell you how good it is to have finally found a home after never having one my whole life. I won't let you or Lily down, I swear it; nor Mother Victoria or Michael either." Odin clapped him on the back and squeezed his shoulder, "I know you won't son, I have no doubts at all."

***

A short while later, they had wrapped up lunch and had all met in the training center. It was one of the larger buildings inside the compound and was located along one of the lanes that radiated out from behind the Manor House. The training and sparring room inside the center was the largest room, in the form of a large rectangle about 75' wide and 150' long with a tall, vaulted ceiling. There were several circles marked on the hardwood floor and padded for sparring, extensive mat areas for training and less intense sparring, and finally various types of training weapons hanging along one entire wall. Swords, maces, axes, short swords, daggers, morningstars, hammers and mauls and all other types of weapons and shields. The bladed weapons were blunted, but almost all of the weapons were made of tempered steel with very few of them made of wood, so almost all of them could still be quite lethal. Dante was amazed, and it showed on his face; he had never seen a training facility quite like this before, even with all the time he'd spent on the Teams.

Ben saw the surprise on his face and explained it for him, "Everyone in the pack, even the youngsters, are taught self-defense and how to take care of themselves and their Pack. When they go through their first shift and come into their gifts, then those who wish to become Pack Enforcers embark upon what we refer to as combat training. We don't tolerate any discrimination of any sort in the Pack, so any wolf can receive any training, and work to earn or challenge for their rightful place in the Pack, and it's rightful because they've earned it and if necessary can defend it. We have several female Betas as you've seen, you met several of them this morning, we have several races of wolves represented in the Pack, and even have a few gay and lesbian mated pairs as well. Everyone is accepted and treated with respect in Pack O'Connor. Alpha Odin and Madame Alpha Victoria would accept nothing less, and I'm proud to be one of the top wolves supporting them! This is a very special Pack, and one we are all proud to belong to. Lastly, all the practice weapons you see are used by those in the Pack. Weapons training starts at 12, and specialties are chosen at 18 as everyone works towards mastery of their chosen weapon or weapons."

Dante smiled, loving everything he'd seen and been told and as the day progressed, felt more and more a part of something unique and special. He'd felt a small sense of belonging when he was on the Teams, but it was nothing like this. He was overjoyed to finally feel like he had not only a home with Lily, but also a place to belong with the Pack.

Odin walked up with the rest of the men and women that had been with them all day. He had overheard the conversation and picked up where Ben left off. "Not today, but in the next few days, we'll have you take your placement tests Dante, so we know where you fit in the Pack hierarchy. Everyone here with us at the moment is a Pack Enforcer and a Beta. Betas are ranked in Levels 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest. Ben is currently my only Level 5 Beta, but others can challenge and test for any new level at any time. Since by mating with Lily you're becoming Alpha Heir, you'll be a bit outside the pack structure since you're not a Beta and you're not yet an Alpha either. However, you can still choose what you want to do, as long as you test adequately well for it."

Dante absorbed everything explained and nodded his understanding. "I was a point man and combat expert on the Teams, so I'd like to be the same or similar in the Pack. I'd like to be a Pack Enforcer and act as spearhead in any combat we face, to help keep others in my Pack alive."

Odin smiled with pride as the rest of the assembled Betas, fortunately including Ben, smiled and nodded their acceptance. He spoke once again to Dante, as well as the rest of those assembled. "That may possibly become your role, and perhaps not so long from now. But for the first little while we're going to have you observe so you can get a sense of how we fight, and what we're capable of. Once you've had a chance to observe us, I'll pair you with Ben, he is our top Enforcer as our sole Level 5 Beta and is in charge of training and security, so he'll be a good person to begin your evaluation. Remember that today is not your official evaluation, but it's when we'll start to take our first measure of you, so give it all you've got. I'm the only one who can take Ben, which is why I'm Alpha and he's our top Beta."

Dante nodded his acceptance as everyone prepped and stretched to get ready to spar and train. Dante spent the next hour observing everyone and forming opinions. This was his element: he was a born warrior and could pick apart the strengths and weaknesses of his teammates' and opponents' styles and moves, using his experience and keen observation. This was what he did, even who he was, and he wanted to demonstrate to everyone what he was capable of. He could tell that everyone in the Pack was well-trained, and together they would be a formidable force in almost any imaginable kind of fight. All the men and women were fast, strong and skilled. Most had the size to perform successfully more as brawlers than fighters, but there were a few highly skilled warriors scattered throughout the bunch as well; Odin, Ben and Sara were among that select group. He could tell that some of these Enforcers had some level of either combat or martial arts training, but the majority relied on skills and talents learned from their wolves, and from their personal experience and training. Even within such a formidable group, he knew he'd be able to give a good showing.

Alpha Odin called for a break, brought Dante to the largest challenge circle and had him square off with Ben as the rest gathered around to watch. Ben explained the procedure to Dante. "We'll start by observing your defensive skills. I'll begin moderately, then increase the strength of my attacks. I want you to block and defend yourself against as much as you can, but for now you're to refrain from any counterattacks. Are you ready?"

Dante took a deep breath to center himself, calling his senses and reflexes to a razor's edge and falling into the emotionless state he always entered when fighting. He released his breath and his face became a blank mask as he gazed at Ben, got into a fighting stance and nodded expressionlessly.

Alpha Odin waited just a moment, then called out "Begin!" Ben dashed forward and led with a right cross towards Dante's face, but Dante shifted and brought his forearm up to solidly block Ben's right. Ben followed with a left jab, which Dante ducked before flowing past his opponent and turning to face him again.

"Not bad," approved Ben, "Now it comes harder and faster."

Ben mounted a flurry of vicious punches aimed at Dante's head, chest and stomach, but Dante didn't allow a single one of them to connect. Ben executed a low leg sweep, trying to take Dante's feet out from under him, but Dante saw it coming and not only leapt out of the way but did it as a backflip to gain space from Ben. However, Ben was right on top of Dante's evasive ploy and was waiting when Dante landed, prepared to launch a huge right haymaker at Dante to end it. But an instant before the mighty blow could connect, Dante's left hand flashed up and caught Ben's fist in his hand, stopping it instantly and refusing to concede a single centimeter. That was the end of that!

Ben grinned appreciatively and stepped back, relaxing. "That's excellent, Dante, I'm not surprised, but your training and experience, not to mention your strength, show quite clearly. The final thing I want to see today is for you to attack, and once again I will be your opponent. As you must know very well, in sparring we use no lethal strikes or moves, but with lycans the training limits we place are rather beyond those necessary for humans: we try to avoid serious injury, even though we heal extremely fast. So with that in mind, I want you to come at me and give it your best shot.

Dante nodded, with his mask still in place; he always tried his best to maintain a state of 'no mind' so he could observe everything around him even while pulling anything and everything from his training and battle experience, never giving away his intent even an instant beforehand. This approach had saved his life many times and was second nature to him. He faced off and waited for Ben to signal he was ready.

When Ben nodded, time seemed to slow down for everyone watching. Dante flowed past Ben on his right like he was a phantom, then turned instantly and drove his elbow into the back of Ben's head, simultaneously using a leg sweep from the front to knock Ben's legs out from beneath him. Ben's face was driven into the mat and he became motionless, obviously knocked out.

Everyone watching had gone perfectly still and no one made a sound. They were all shocked to their core at seeing Ben, their top Beta, laid low in less than a second.

About ten seconds later Ben regained consciousness, groaned, rolled over and sat up on his haunches.

Dante turned to see everyone staring at him, including Ben.

Ben got to his feet a little shakily, approached Dante and held out his hand.

Dante let his mask fall and showed signs of emotion again as he shook Ben's hand.

Ben chuckled, "I've never seen anyone move that fast before, or been hit that hard! You dropped me like I was a newbie wolf going after the big guys! How in the hell did you do that?! And by the way, please remind me never to piss you off, big guy."

Dante was astounded by the comradery in Ben's voice, face and demeanor! He displayed no resentment at being bested, even at being knocked unconscious, just sincere pleasure that the O'Connor Pack had the benefit of such a formidable new member. He knew already that in any conflict Ben would have his back, even risk his life to protect him, and vice versa.

12