The Slayers Ch. 01-02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,665 Followers

"Look mama!" Xavier exclaimed. "I told you that I would be back! I have supplies...."

"How did you come by these things?" His father asked quietly. He hadn't moved from where he stood or greeted Xavier.

"It doesn't matter," Helena replied. "We need supplies and our son is home."

"It matters," his father said still looking at him. "How did you come by these things?"

Alana who was holding Xavier's hand tried to intercede. She was the one who could always reason with Alberto.

"Papa why don't we go inside? I am certain that Xavvie will answer your questions." Just as she was the only one who could reason with their father, she was the only one who could get away with calling him 'Xavvie'.

"We go nowhere until I know where those things came from," Alberto said, his tone saying that Alana wasn't going to succeed this time.

"I have a job," Xavier replied hoping but knowing that it wouldn't end there. "I saved my money so that I could get these things for you."

"What kind of job pays well enough that you can afford this?" Alberto asked pointing at the wagon. "Look at your clothes- how are you paying for these things?"

It was then that Xavier knew that his father knew what he had been doing. How he didn't know as his father rarely ventured into town and when he did, he spoke to no one.

"Alberto-"

"Helena and Alana go inside now."

They had to be told three times before they went inside. Xavier could see them peeking through the drapes their faces filled with anxiety.

"I know exactly how you're making your money," Alberto hissed. "You work for Jacques Devereaux! You peddle his filth and take advantage of those less fortunate. Get out and take your trash with you!"

Xavier couldn't believe it. His father was choosing to let his family starve because of where the money came from. He tried to make his father see reason.

"Father please- you are starving! Look at you! Mother, Francisco and Alana- they are starving too! Take what I bring you...."

"How many have you killed to make the wine in those barrels?" His father asked. "How many or have you lost count? Oh yes- I know of your reputation. You are nothing but a killer and a thief! This is not our way! We are an honorable people! You have completely forsaken everything that you've been taught and for what? Material goods? Now leave and take that with you."

"Honor?" Xavier asked angrily. "What has honor ever done for you and this family? Has honor placed nourishment at your table? Look at you! You are so thin that I can see your bones! One moment in the sun and you will burn to a crisp! That is what honor has given you! If you don't take what I offer, you will all die! Let mother, Alana and Francisco partake in what I bring- if you decide to die then so be it, but do not make the decision for them."

"Honor has brought provisions to us when we needed it most," his father replied. "We may not live the life of the well to do, but we have survived and will continue to do so without your help."

"Father," Xavier said quietly, "Would you happen to be referring to those mysterious packages that appear once or twice a week? Just where do you think they came from? Did you think that they came from nowhere? Did you think that the earth grew them while you rested? Or did you think that your wealthy neighbors finally took pity on you and decided to help? Why would they do that? They never have never helped us before."

Alberto was quiet. He had known where the packages were coming from but had convinced himself that as long as he didn't see Xavier, then it was different.

"I see," Xavier said bitterly. "It was fine to accept them as long as you didn't see me and you could pretend that your honor provided them. Why don't we do this? I'll go away and you can go back to pretending that it didn't come from me."

"Leave," Alberto said coldly. "You are no longer my son. Your mother is no longer your mother nor is your siblings your siblings. You are a disgrace to this family. You are one of the fallen. From this moment – you are dead to us."

"Father wait!" Francisco yelled as he grabbed Alberto's arm. "Let him take the wagon, but please don't do this!"

Alberto ignored him and turned his back. When Francisco didn't turn, Alberto grabbed him and spun him around so that his back was to Xavier. Seeing what was happening, Alana ran from the house followed by her mother and ran to Xavier. She threw her arms around him and clung to him as she sobbed. Helena joined them sobbing. Both women let out a yelp of pain when they were yanked out of Xavier's arms and made to turn their backs on him.

Xavier stood watching with tears running down his face. He waited. He was hoping that his father would rescind the order. Ten minutes passed and he knew that it wasn't going to happen. He walked away leaving the wagon where it was. What was he going to do with it? Maybe Alana and his mother could get him to change his mind. He went back the next evening to find the wagon burned to the ground and his family gone. He never saw them again.

Xavier wiped angry tears from his eyes and continued with his evening routine. By the time he was finished, the memory had faded to the background waiting to unexpectedly surge forward at another time. If it never manifested again, it would be too soon. He turned his attentions to his plans for the evening. He thought about going out again, but decided to stay in. Everyone that needed to know that he had arrived was notified. He glanced at his diamond encrusted 'Rolex'. It was just shy of five in the evening. He reconsidered his decision to go out. A short walk before dinner would go a long way in erasing the remainder of his memory.

He finished dressing- this time in dress slacks, a grey dress shirt and his black loafers. This time he would head to the northern part of the city. Temple University was there and although it was beginning to resemble a ghost town because of summer break, there was always the chance that someone- maybe his one would be there. He was surprised that he thought of her. Most days he wanted nothing to do with a mate. She would be one more person who could potentially betray him. It wasn't possible and he knew it. If he found his mate it would be impossible for her to betray him, but his sense of mistrust ran deep.

By six he was walking down the busy sidewalk. As with the night before; those he would normally be searching for hid when they saw him. He ignored them and kept walking at a pace so fast that humans didn't see him. By six-fifteen; he was standing in front of the school. As he suspected, there weren't too many people around. Graduation was over and those left would be leaving soon. He walked around the campus for several minutes before deciding that it was a waste of time. He turned to see a pretty dark haired girl hurrying out of a building. His heart sped up and then slowed as he realized that she wasn't the one. But- she could serve another purpose. It was time for him to put into practice what he learned from his acting teacher. He rushed over to her stopping her just as she was about to enter another building.

"Excuse me!" he called out in what he thought was a pleasant voice.

The girl hesitated and then stopped to see who was calling. Even from where he was, Xavier could see the wary expression on her face. He slowly approached her with a smile on his face. It didn't feel natural to him and he wondered what the girl was seeing. He got his answer a few seconds later. As soon as she got a good look at him, she ran into the building slamming the door closed behind her.

"Damn it!" Xavier swore as he walked away. He walked the campus hoping to run into someone else that he could practice on. After a few minutes, he gave up and left the campus. Not ready to go back to the penthouse, he continued his walk. Eventually he ended up on Diamond Street. What he saw pleased him. There were houses that were unoccupied and in ill repair, but more importantly; there were a lot of people. Historically he had stayed away from bringing his business to this part of the city. Part of the reason was that there was no way that the people that lived here could afford his product. The other reason was that at one time the area had been very affluent and his product wouldn't have been welcome. The latter might still be true even though the neighborhood was ppor, but what he was seeing now was ingredients for his product and a possible work force. The failure with the girl was forgotten as he began to plan.

***

Brittney was uncharacteristically nervous and she didn't like it any more than she understood it. Jian was a friend- a good friend and nothing more so why was she so nervous? Finally she thought that she understood- she was afraid that dinner would somehow change things between them. In what way, she didn't want to think about. By four she was in the shower having the age old debate about what to do with her hair. By the time she was done with her shower, she still hadn't decided.

As she dried off, she examined her body. Each muscle was clearly defined and her six pack would make a professional body builder proud. Still she thought to herself, "I could stand to gain ten pounds." That was something that her doctor had suggested and she had agreed but she couldn't bring herself to change the way that she ate. She felt fine and her physicals had always come up perfect so once again; she decided not to worry about it.

By four-forty five she was on her bike and headed back to Jian's. The closer to five it got, her nervousness changed to anxiety that had nothing to do with Jian. Jian was waiting for her at the door when she got there. Brittney noticed one thing-he looked as anxious as she felt. The anxiety left his face as soon as she saw her ride up. He ran down the steps and for just a second, Brittney though that he was going to hug her.

"Welcome back!" he exclaimed when he reached her. "Allow me to carry your bike inside."

"Okay," Brittney replied feeling a sense of relief that didn't make sense. As Jian carried her bike inside, she stood at the doorway and looked around. The heaviness that she felt in the air the night before was back. Suddenly she had the urge to go inside and to lock the door behind her. She turned around and saw Jian watching her.

"What are you feeling?" he asked softly.

"Do you feel it too?"

"Tell me what you are feeling," he repeated.

"I don't know exactly," Brittney replied. "The air- it feels heavy. I felt it last night too and then it was gone."

"I felt it too," Jian replied. "I am not sure of what it means, but you are here and safe. Are you hungry?"

"Ummm yeah, but safe from what?" Brittney asked. She felt anxious, but she didn't feel as if her life was in danger.

"It is just an expression," Jian replied. "Come- dinner is ready."

Dinner consisted of several Chinese vegetarian dishes some of which included Tofu.

"It is a good substitute for meat," Jian explained when Brittney asked him what was in the dishes. They were exchanging recipes when they both froze. Jian looked at the clock- six pm and then at Brittney. Brittney shivered as the hairs on the nape of her neck and arms rose.

"Brittney," Jian said softly, "stay here."

"What? No I'm not staying here-where are you going?"

"Nowhere- I only want to look outside," Jian replied.

"I'm coming too," Britney said as she sat her chopsticks down. "I want to know what's giving me the willies."

Seeing that he wasn't going to win, Jian nodded. He wasn't even going to bother telling her to stay behind him. For one thing, she wouldn't listen, and secondly; they were safe as long as they remained within the perimeters of the house. The time was coming when he would have to begin teaching her the importance of obeying him, but not now.

He sensed no fear from her as they approached the front door. This pleased him and confirmed several things. He opened the door, and stepped outside. Brittney stood next to him looking around.

"The air feels wrong," she murmured not noticing that Jian was sniffing the air.

"It smells wrong," Jian whispered as he looked around. He saw Mrs. Nolan watching him and before he could acknowledge her; she was back in her house. He wondered about her and then turned his attention back to the air.

A moment later, the air seemed to clear. Jian sniffed and the air smelled as it usually did. Brittney let out a breath that she didn't know that she was holding and unconsciously sagged against Jian's side. Just as unconsciously, Jian put an arm around her and pulled her tight against him. That one action was all that Jian needed to confirm what he had been almost positive of for the past four years. Brittney Marsh belonged to and with him.

Suddenly Brittney stiffened and pulled away. She looked at him embarrassed and then turned away. Jian smiled but made no comment. The cat was already out of the bag.

"Let's finish dinner," he said and walked back into the house.

Brittney followed him a few seconds later after regaining her composure. What had she been thinking? Jian was carrying the now cold food to the kitchen to reheat it by the time she reached the table. The nervousness had returned and it had nothing to do with the anxiety that made her hairs stand up. It had everything to do with the man who was her best friend.

The rest of dinner passed quietly with neither of them talking about the closeness that they had experienced or the feelings of anxiety that they felt at the same time. Dessert was fresh fruit and tea that Jian served in the living room. When it was time for her to go, Jian insisted on walking her home.

"I'll be fine," Brittney insisted. "I've gotten home much later than this."

"I will walk you home," Jian said firmly, "do not argue with me."

Brittney blinked in surprise. In all the time that she had known him, he had never used that tone with her. She was so shocked that she nodded her head yes. Later, when she had a chance to think about it; she would be irate.

Jian carried her bike outside and insisted that he push it. Once again he wouldn't take no for an answer.

"Have you always been this-demanding?" Brittney snipped.

"You have seen nothing yet," Jian replied with a chuckle. It was time to step up her training. He didn't know who or what they were feeling, but they had to be ready.

After he was back at home, Jian checked his answering machine for messages. He had heard nothing since he called home the night before. Maybe it was nothing, but he knew it was. Brittney sensed it too. Not only her, but Mrs. Nolan did too. He wanted to know what she knew and who she really was. He left his house, walked to the same Korean owned store that he had been to the night before and bought her some of her favorite snacks. The store owner was there and gave him a wary, but respectful look.

"Why did you tell me that it wasn't safe last night?" Jian asked as he paid for the purchases. "What do you know?"

The man looked around to see if anyone was listening and then spoke.

"There are those of us who can see and feel the monsters that walk among us. We can also see those who are slay those monsters. You are one of the latter. Last night when I saw you; I knew that you were not ready- the monster was roaming the streets. I know this because I felt it. I also know that he roamed the streets tonight-but... he was close."

"Who is this monster?" Jian asked. "And how do you know that I am not ready?"

"I don't know who or what the monster is," the shop keeper applied. "I only know what I have told you and I also know this- if you have not found her- you must and you must do it quickly. You will need her."

Jian watched the man and tasted his words. He detected no lie.

"I thank you for your assistance," he said as he picked up the sac.

"Slayer," the man called after him, "I am at your service as are others if and when the need arises."

Jian bowed his head to the man and walked out. Something was happening; he had to find out what it was.

****

Brittney was disturbed. She shouldn't have had dinner with Jian. Something had changed between them although she couldn't say what it was.

"You know," a voice whispered.

"I don't know anything!" Brittney said out loud. To take her mind off of her disturbing thoughts, she decided to call Amanda to finalize plans for Sunday.

"Hey! What's doing?" Amanda asked.

"Nothing much- I was just wondering about tomorrow. What do you want me to bring?"

"Nothing, we got it. Just so you know- Paul has decided that there's something to this vegetarian thing so there'll be plenty of vegetarian dishes."

"Really?" Brittney asked surprised. "What brought that on?"

"Well- he went to the doctor yesterday," Amanda said. "Apparently he's borderline diabetic, his blood pressure was a tad high and they started him on medications for cholesterol. In other words; they scared the crap out of him. He also wants to talk to you about working out with you and your mysterious boyfriend..."

"He isn't my boyfriend!" Brittney exclaimed.

"Whatever- by the way why don't you invite him? I find it odd that after four years we still haven't met your-friend."

"That's because he's busy and it's not that kind of friendship now can we change the subject?" Brittney asked now irritated.

"Who was it that said me thinks the lady protest too much?" Amanda teased.

"Mandy..."

"Alright- I'll stop," Amanda said laughing. If Brittney used her nickname then she had had enough teasing. "Seriously, he's more than welcome to come."

"He's busy so what time is dinner?"

"Come around one. We've had a long day and we want to sleep in. You know- why don't you come over tonight? We can watch movies until we fall asleep. I think I even have some of that microwave popcorn you like."

"No," Brittney said after thinking about it. "I'm whipped myself."

"Oh yeah- the infamous Saturday work outs- what does his girlfriend have to say about him spending so much time with you?"

"Good night, Amanda," Brittney said and hung up.

After she hung up, Brittney changed her clothes and stretched out on the bed. She planned to do the same thing as her sister- sleep in. Sunday was the only day that she and Jian didn't work out and she planned to enjoy it. Beginning Monday and for the rest of the week they would intensify their training. After vacation it would go back to two hours every day after work.

She picked up the book that she had started several nights ago and before she had read one page, she was asleep.

*****

"Is it my birthday?" Mrs. Nolan asked when Jian showed up at her door with the bag of goodies.

"No grandmother- at least I don't think so. You have never told me when your birthday is- is it your birthday?"

"You are so smooth," the old woman chuckled. "You come across all quiet, but you know how to woo an old woman don't you? Speaking of woman- when you going to tap that pretty girl I see you with?"

"Tap?" Jian asked not sure he understood what she was getting at.

Mrs. Nolan rolled her eyes. "Ain't that what the young people are calling it these days?"

He blushed when he finally understood what she was asking. The old woman laughed at him and looked inside the bag.

"How many stories I got to tell for this?" She asked when she stopped laughing.

"Just one," Jian replied. "I want you to tell me about the monsters."

Her good humor left her as she stared at him. Jian saw naked anger in her eyes and wanted to know the cause of it.

"How do you know about that?" she asked as she straightened up. The crackly voice changed into a smooth, soft and cultured alto. The odor of death faded until it was gone.

"It appears that I am not the only one who is more than they appear," Jian said softly.

"You didn't answer my question," the old woman who no longer looked so old said icily. "How do you know about that?"

kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,665 Followers