The Slayers Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

****

Xavier stared at the phone. His head was pounding with a rare headache. It was an indication that he needed to take a step back and regroup but not yet. He had to find out about the male that had escaped. It was clear that he was able to see them and that meant that he could identify the vampire that was in his home. Things would be resolved even more quickly if they knew what it looked like. He picked up the phone and called Ephraim. He gave the man a chance to recover before he spoke.

"Is the human male a suspect in the murder of the woman?" He asked although he knew the answer. He was starting out with something easy so that the medical examiner could adjust to the sound of his voice. He often wondered what he sounded like to the human ear and took the time to find out. He waited until Ephraim answered the question about Paul before asking him about his voice.

"What does my voice sound like to you?" He asked. "And please- be honest. You have my word that there will be no repercussions from what you say."

"I- sir- I vomit every time I talk to you," Ephraim replied. "I don't know if it's the sound of your voice as much as it is the pitch."

"Hmmm," Xavier mused. "If you had to give it a sound what would it be?"

"I... a squealing rat that's caught in a trap but the pitch is much higher." Ephraim replied in a shaky voice. "It grates on the nerves and makes me dizzy and sick to my stomach."

"Interesting," Xavier replied not in the least offended by being compared to a rat. "What is happening in the investigation of the murdered woman?"

Ephraim told him what he already knew. There was neither DNA nor proof that she had been raped although there was proof of sexual activity. That surprised Xavier as the lower rogue tended to be brutal when they took a woman. So was she not raped or did the rogue take extra care with her? It was possible he supposed. But he doubted it.

"As you know, they're looking for the male," Ephraim continued. "As far as they're concerned, the fact that he ran proves his guilt."

"I assumed as much- who is the lead investigator?"

"Someone named Jack Atkins. I don't know him- he's relatively new, but I hear that he's good at what he does. His specialty is solving cold cases and cases that are for lack of a better term- out there. And this case is being classified as being out there because of the bite marks- we know that they aren't human."

Xavier didn't like the sound of this.

"Have you met him?" Xavier asked.

"Once," Ephraim replied obviously wanting to get off the phone. Xavier could hear him trying not to vomit. "They brought him around when he first started. I know that he's already seen the body- I saw his signature on the log book and the night M.E. was with him."

"What did she have to say?"

"Not much," Ephraim replied his voice strained. "Sir? Could you excuse me for a moment?"

Xavier waited as Ephraim vomited into whatever container was closest. As he waited, he wondered if he could sway Jack Atkins to his side.

"I'm back," Ephraim said breathlessly. "I apologize. But back to the medical examiner. She said that he was an odd bird. He didn't ask to see the reports until after he looked at the body- something about preconceived ideas."

"And????" Xavier asked exasperated.

"He didn't ask her any questions but made a lot of notes and took a lot of pictures with his cell phone. Then he released the body to the family so they could have their services."

"That isn't normal is it?" Xavier asked

"Well it depends, but in this case no- at least not this quickly. Word has it that the department is giving this guy free reign. Sir- if I may speak freely..."

"By all means," Xavier replied ignoring the tickle in his neck.

"I've been here for almost fifteen years and I've never seen anyone given that kind of clout. I know that you don't like guesses, but sir; this man is a threat to you. I don't know if he's a slayer- no he isn't- that much I'm sure of but he's something."

"On what do you base your suspicions?" Xavier asked agreeing with Ephraim's assessment.

"I don't have anything solid," Ephraim replied, "Just a very bad feeling. And sir? You need to find that vampire before anyone else does."

Xavier sat straight up in his chair. "Why do you say that?" He asked his voice intense.

The pitch must have changed because he could hear Ephraim vomiting again.

"I don't know sir, it's just a feeling. This man- Jack Atkins- he knows things," Ephraim replied when he stopped vomiting. "The medical examiner on duty said that he didn't act shocked when he saw the bites in the neck. He just took pictures of it. They usually ask all kinds of questions including what we thought caused the bite."

"Ephraim," Xavier said softly. "You have done exceptionally well. Thank you. I need you to stay in your present position until this is over. I want you to call me with any new developments no matter how minor. When this is over, you will be very well rewarded."

"Thank you sir!" Ephraim gushed. He knew what that meant. He would be able to choose his reward and he already knew what it was he wanted.

Xavier hung up, sat the phone down and picked it up.

"Hello captain," he said when the phone was answered.

*****

Paul was up, dressed and anxious to make contact with Brittney. He didn't even know if Amanda's body had been released yet or if the services had been planned. Then he thought about his family in New Jersey. What was going through their minds? He hoped that they didn't believe that he was capable of hurting anyone. He had to reassure them that he had nothing to do with Amanda's death.

"I need a phone," he told Josh when he found him in the kitchen. "I need to call my family and Amanda's sister."

"Let's eat first," Josh said as he put a large cheese omelet on a plate.

"I'm not hungry," Paul replied.

"I know, but eat anyway," Josh said pushing the plate toward him. "You won't be any good to me or Brittney if you don't eat. We'll talk about the phone calls after we eat."

Reluctantly, Paul sat down and pulled the plate containing the omelet to him. Suddenly, he was ravenous. He ate the entire omelet and the four pieces of lightly buttered oatmeal toast in no time flat.

"Feel better?" Josh asked.

"Yeah now about those phone calls..."

"First- Brittney is safe and she knows that you didn't kill Amanda. You'll get to talk to her in a few minutes. As far as your call to your family is concerned- their phones are tapped and they're being watched by the police and others. The best thing that you can do for them is not to contact them. You can't afford to be caught by the police but especially by the rogue. They will torture you to find out what you know about the slayers and when they're done with you they'll either kill you which would be merciful or use you as a slave. If you don't cooperate-they'll go after your family."

"But..."

"Brittney is safe- she's one of us but your family isn't! The rogue will take them and find out if they have the sight or if they can detect slayers. If they can do none of those things- they will be turned into servants. They'll be taken back home and their neighbors won't know the difference. They will be at the beck and call of the rogue for whatever they need or want- do you get what I'm saying here or do I need to be explicit? If that's what you want for them then by all means call them."

The speech had the desired effect. Paul looked away not wanting Josh to see the tears in his eyes. Not only had he lost Amanda; he had just lost his family. Brittney was all that he had left.

"I understand," he said miserably. "I need to talk to Brittney."

*****

"You must eat all of it," Jian coaxed as Brittney looked at the bowl of peach yogurt. "You ate nothing yesterday and you must keep up your strength."

Brittney picked up the spoon and sat it back down. She just couldn't do it. She was too worried about Paul. Amanda's body hadn't been released yet so she had no idea of when she could have the services, but the least of it was Jian and her confusing feeling toward him. When they got back to his house after leaving the hospital; she didn't have the energy to listen to any explanations. Jian made her take a shower and put her to bed in his room.

While she slept, he sat by her side with a hand on her back caressing it and murmuring words of comfort when she cried out and now he was trying to get her to eat. He was about to tell her again to eat when her cell phone rang.

"This is Brittney Marsh- it has? Great! I'll call you back with the name of the funeral home."

"They are releasing her body?" Jian asked surprised.

"Yes, they said that they don't need it anymore," Brittney replied. "I need to talk to Paul- you said that he was safe; do you know where he is?"

"No, but you will speak to him soon. After the arrangement s are made and you talk to Paul we must talk. I have many things to tell you. Now please eat."

Feeling a little better that Amanda's body was going to be released, Brittney to eat. Once she started, she ate the entire container of yogurt.

"Good," Jian said pleased when he saw the empty container. "Lunch will consist of more than yogurt and fruit and you will eat."

"Hey!" Brittney snapped looking at him.

"Yes?" Jian asked raising an eyebrow. "If you are not going to take care of yourself then it falls upon me to do so."

"I think I've asked you this before," Brittney said tersely, "but when did you become so bossy? And why am I just noticing it?"

"I have always been this way," Jian replied with a smile. "You just chose not to see it as you chose not to see many things. Please excuse me; I need to go get the telephone."

He left Brittney sitting on the floor wondering what he meant by his comments. How could she not have noticed how bossy he was?

"Yes, she is here," she heard him say as he came down the stairs. "But he is well? Good. I will put her on the phone. It is Paul," Jian said as he handed her the phone.

"Paul?"

"Britt! I didn't do it! I didn't kill Amanda- I could never hurt her like that! I loved her- you know that right?"

"Paul- I know that you didn't kill Amanda and it never crossed my mind that you did," Brittney replied. "I even told them that- but what happened? Are you alright?"

"First, I'm fine," Paul said, "but Britt- it's my fault that she's dead. I knew that the patio door was open. I should have gone back down to close it, but- but I didn't. I wanted to- you know before she fell asleep. I- I killed her! I couldn't even protect her! As big as I am, I couldn't protect my baby! I watched as that thing- that monster... Brittney, it bit her! It made these holes in her neck while I watched! I tried to get it to look at me, but it wouldn't -- not until it... it raped her! It made me watch while it raped her and it kept saying something about love. Brittney... I am so, so sorry!"

Paul was sobbing and had become hard to understand. Brittney didn't interrupt him. He needed to get it all out and then he would be able to talk. While he sobbed, she tried to remember if she saw holes in Amanda's neck. She just couldn't remember...

"I would have let it do whatever it wanted to me," Paul said softly. "I would have died for her."

"I know," Brittney soothed. "I know, but Paul we need to find this guy. What did he look like?"

"It wasn't a man," Paul whispered. "I mean it was a man, but it was a monster!"

"I agree that whoever did this is a monster..."

"Brittney listen to me! This thing- it wasn't human! One of the nurses at the hospital is one of them too! I saw it and I swear to you on my sweet Amanda's heart- I am not crazy! If you don't believe me talk to Josh! He was at the hospital!"

"Paul," Brittney said gently, "calm down- I believe you. As crazy as it seems, I believe you."

"Y-you do?" Paul asked relieved. "You aren't just saying that?"

"No I'm not just saying that," Brittney assured him. "I met the nurse that you mentioned and well- let's just say she gave me the creeps. I also wanted to tell you that Amanda's body has been released. I don't know if she ever mentioned this to you, but she wanted to be cremated."

"She said something about that, but can we have a memorial service for her?" Paul asked. "I need to say goodbye to her."

"I do too," Brittney said. "That night, I was going to call her. But it was three in the morning. Instead of following my gut; I watched an infomercial and ordered a juicer. My last thought of her before I finally went to sleep was that she was going to be shocked at my impulse buy. I keep thinking that if I had only made that call..."

"It wouldn't have mattered," Paul said. "This thing was single minded in what it was doing- nothing was going to stop it. So don't feel guilty."

"If that's true, then neither should you," Brittney countered. "Maybe we should stop playing the guilt game and go after the bastard that took her from us. I'm going to try to have the service in a couple of days... can you call me tomorrow?"

"Yeah and Britt? Thanks for believing me," Paul said. "I'm glad that you're okay."

Jian listened to the conversation and was impressed. Explaining things wasn't going to be as difficult as he had originally thought. Paul had broken the ice so to speak.

"I have a place where we can perform the cremation," he said after Brittney hung up.

"Do you know someone?" She asked somehow not surprised.

"Yes and it will be safer for both you and Paul. If you wish, I can have them pick up Amanda's remains and take to the site."

"Jian... never mind- thanks."

"It is my pleasure," he replied as he took the phone. A moment later he handed it back to her. "Call the morgue and tell them that Amanda's remains will be picked up within the hour."

****

Ephraim was giving report to Dr. Cook when he saw them. They weren't slayers, but they were associated with them. By the time he thought to duck into the bathroom, they were already in the office. One of them- a man introduced himself as Robert Norton, a friend of the family. He introduced the man with him as his associate Bruce Wilson. They were lying. They were there on behalf of the slayers.

"What can we do for you gentlemen?" Ephraim asked before Dr. Cook could say anything.

"We're here to pick up the remains of Amanda Marsh," the one named Robert said. "Is it ready?"

Ephraim cursed. No one had informed him that the body was going to be picked up.

"I'm sorry, but no one informed me that it was going to be picked up. There's paperwork and things like that. If you like you can come back in the morning."

"We will take the remains tonight," Robert said his tone cool and firm.

Ephraim involuntarily shivered when Robert's black eyes stared at him. Ephraim realized that whatever this man was; he wasn't human. Dr. Cook stood back watching but not interfering. She had the willies as well.

"I have the necessary paperwork," Bruce said as he reached into his left jacket pocket. "It has already been signed by all necessary parties except for you. There are two copies- one is for your records. Are there any other questions?"

"Let me see those papers..."

"All of the information that you require is there including where the remains will be cremated," Robert said icily. "Now please retrieve the remains so that we can be on our way."

For some reason, Robert frightened Ephraim even more than Bruce did. A second later he figured out why. Robert was a full blood vampire. He had never been human-he was a descendent of the originals. Ephraim's mind whirled. He had been told that the originals and their descendants had been eradicated, but one was in his office standing less than five feet away from him. It finally occurred to him that there was much, much, more going on than the death of a connected human woman. It went even beyond the fact that the woman's sister was a slayer.

"The remains-please," Robert said his impatience beginning to grow.

"Ummm sure- right this way," Dr. Cook said anxious to get the men out of the office.

"Thank you," Bruce said as he cast her appreciative glance that made her blush.

"Tell me Dr. Cook," he said smoothly, "what are the chances that one such as lovely as yourself is single?"

"Come along Bruce," Robert called over his shoulder. "We have things to do."

Ephraim listened hoping that the creature would ask Dr. Cook out. He then would be able to pump her for information. He almost did a cartwheel when Dr. Cook scribbled her home number in the back of one of her business cards and handed it to the creature. Xavier was going to be extremely pleased with him. If he kept this up he just might get more than one wish.

Twenty minutes later, Amanda Marsh's body was gone. Dr. Cook was left alone wondering why she had initially found Bruce so disturbing. Now she was hoping that he would call her as promised. Ephraim couldn't wait to get home to call Xavier. He was halfway home before he remembered that he promised his mother that he would bring Chinese take-out home for dinner.

"Shit!" he said as he turned around. In the long run it was better to get it than to listen to her bellyache about not asking for much and complaining that she had to cook. To save time, he called the restaurant from his cell phone placed the order and told them that he was on the way.

An hour later, his mother was happily full and surfing QVC.

"Don't forget ma," he told her as he went to his room, "That's all the money you get until next payday."

"I know, but Effie... that's two weeks and I'll be out of money by then..."

It was a familiar conversation and one that he no longer participated in. He went to his room, locked the door and turned on the television. He had learned to do both of those things when his mother had walked in on him one too many times catching him with his dick in his hands. He changed his clothes and took out the smart phone that she didn't know he had and dialed Xavier's number. He had long ago stopped using the landline phone when he caught her eavesdropping on the few phone calls he had.

Taking a deep breath, he waited for the phone to be answered. At the last minute, he moved the trashcan next to him. It was inevitable that he was going to vomit.

*****

Xavier had just finished with the woman on the bed and was disappointed. This one like the others had begged for her life. None of the women since Kelley Ann Wilkins had shown the dignity that she had in accepting her death. Their blood and cunts were delicious, but he wanted to see that dignity again. He shoved the dead woman's body off the bed, rang the bell and went into the bathroom. His headache was gone and he could think clearly. It had been a few nights since he had been out and about-tonight was the night.

He did his usual examination and got into the shower. When he came out, his evening meal was waiting for him and a servant was standing by the table. This wasn't a good thing.

"What is it?" he snapped.

"The gentleman from the medical examiner's office request that you return his call as soon as possible."

Xavier quickly drank his dinner and called Ephraim back.

"Are you sure?" Xavier asked when Ephraim finished his explanation for the call.

"Yes sir... I'm sure."

"What is the address of this crematorium?" Xavier asked. "Once again you have proven to be an invaluable asset. Keep me posted," he said when he had the information.

Xavier hung up, and then called Cherie for an update.

"I won't find anything if you keep calling me!" she said irritably.

"As far as you know," Xavier continued ignoring her, "Are all of the originals dead?"

"Well," she said after a few minutes, "that's the story, but I never believed it. Why are you asking about them?"

"So you believe that they're alive?" Xavier pressed.