The Society Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Right, I'm going to give the drone the ability to make me invisible and impossible to track with their scanners, and board one of their shuttles and ride it back up to the Society." Kodi said.

"What? Kodi that's crazy and it'll never work, what are you thinking? What do you even plan on doing once you get up there?"

"I'm going to steal some of their supplies, using my drone to keep me invisible and watch my back. They must have a place where they develop their technologies, and store their renewable energy or something. Think about how much we could use that stuff down here. I might be able to find a cure to some of these diseases, or build stronger radiation-repellant suits, or any number of things! The possibilities would be endless!"

"Kodi I just don't think it's a good idea, I mean there's so many places it could go wrong. And I don't want to lose you."

"I know that, Asia, I don't want to lose you either, but there's a chance to give these people some hope, and really help them. I'm just tired of trying to make it to the next day. I'm doing this, no matter what. I have three days before the end of the month when the next shuttle comes, that gives me two days to finish programming the drone and getting ready."

"Kodi, please, it isn't going to work. You don't even know what the place looks like on the inside. No one does. No one's ever been in there." Asia pleaded.

"I'll find a way, Asia. Just trust me, please. I need to do this, for you, for everyone down here."

"I do trust you, you know I always do, but you don't have to do this. Please." Asia looked at Kodi with desperate, sad eyes. She was realizing that her pleading was falling on deaf ears, and that Kodi was going through with her mission no matter what she said.

"I know you're worried, but I've already made my mind up. I'm going through with it, and I'll need some space to finish working on the drone. I'll be fine, okay? Like I said just trust me" Kodi said with a reassuring smile.

"Okay I will, and you better bring back some cool shit. I'll come back to check on you later alright? I'll leave you to it."

"Thanks."

Asia walked out the workshop and left Kodi to work. As she walked up the stairs, she thought about her friend, and worried about her. Sure, she had always been determined to finish what she started, but she couldn't believe that she was going this far. Things were gloomy on Earth, and there seemed to be no end in sight, but at least they were still alive. Kodi was putting all that on the line on a whim, a desperate attempt to halt the malicious cycle of violence, loss, death, and despair on what remained of Earth.

***

"Shit shit shit! I gotta hurry up!"

Alyssa knew she had to be quick. It was 7:30 in the morning, and she was frantically trying to finish what Ethan told her to do yesterday morning. He wanted those files by 8 today.

"I don't know what I was thinking. Why didn't I finish this last night?" Alyssa thought to herself.

Her job had been demanding lately, and the combination of being one of the enforcement agents and Ethan's personal assistant was wearing her out. She simply plopped on her bed and fell asleep once she retired to her room and showered. She didn't wake up until about 6, with only two hours to finish the two reports, and couldn't believe she slipped up this much. If she was late today, it would be her third time this week.

The tranquility in Ethan's voice was always an oxymoron for her, simultaneously paralyzing her with its calmness and depth, and emitting a stream of fear into her body, motivating her to finish her tasks just as Ethan wanted them. It had been that way since Alyssa began working as Ethan's personal assistant two years ago, just as he was being inaugurated as the Society's second ever President.

She learned way back then that Ethan liked things a particular kind of way, took care of his personal space and valued his alone time. In all her years working closely with him, they never had a conversation about personal business, family, or their lives before the war and the inception of the Society.

By the time she was dressed and finally finished the reports, it was already 8:10, ten minutes later than what Ethan asked. She hadn't even had time to finish her makeup or properly do her hair, but she knew she had to get out of her room and take the teleportation panel up to his office. She didn't have any time to waste.

When she finally and frantically made her way into the office, Ethan was standing by the window, turned away from Alyssa, looking outside into the stars in a ponderous mood. His typical morning ritual. Alyssa almost didn't want to be in the room. She felt like she was interrupting his moment of solace this morning, but she knew she had to bring him the files, even if they were late.

As she struggled to find the ability to speak, she said "Here are the files you asked for Mr. President. I'm sorry for them being late, I was just-"

"Call Fran in and tell her to prepare my meetings and schedule for today. You need to take some time off." Ethan said, still turned away from Alyssa looking out the window. It was in that calm, matter of fact voice that Alyssa knew too well, but she could feel the restrained anger emanating in the room also.

"B-But sir I promise it won't happen again this was just-

"Call Fran in and head back to your room, Alyssa. You're dismissed."

"But Ethan I'm-

"Did I make myself clear, or do I need to repeat it again? And it's Mr. President." He was still calm, but Alyssa knew he was serious and meant what he said.

"No Mr. President, I'm sorry." Alyssa started walking back out with her head held down.

"I'll call you when it's time for you to come back."

"But when will that be?" The uncertainty bothered Alyssa, and she needed to know exactly when she would be coming back. The way Ethan put it, it could be weeks or months before she was allowed back.

"When I feel like it's time for you to come back."

"Ethan please, I know I've been off recently but I promise it won't happen again. I don't want to stop being your assistant. I enjoy working for you." Alyssa was pleading at this point, she didn't want to be put on leave. What worried her is that throughout the entire conversation, his back was still turned, looking out the window, as if he didn't want to look at her.

"It's Mr. President, Alyssa, I won't tell you again. You're taking time off. It'll do some good for you."

"Okay. Goodbye Mr. President" Alyssa replied sadly. She was holding her head down at this point. She wasn't sad because of the punishment he had given her, she knew she deserved that based on her behavior recently. It was how he was acting that bothered her. She knew Ethan was upset and frustrated and he expressed that through his stoic disposition. She felt like she hurt him.

"Make sure to call Fran and have her confirm my meeting with General Miller at noon today. Thank you."

"Okay I will." Alyssa knew that Ethan didn't express his emotions to everyone, but she thought that he might be different with her, that he might show her mercy. But Ethan was a busy man, and he didn't have time for mistakes. He relied on Alyssa to make his job easier, and lately she had been doing the opposite.

***

"You called me, sir?"

"Yes Fran, good morning." Ethan was still sitting at his desk, going through some more of the paperwork for his various meetings and tasks for the day when Fran walked in a little over an hour after he and Alyssa talked.

"Good Morning, Mr. President. How have you been?"

"I've been good Fran. How have you been?" Ethan replied.

"Still moving after all these years, I guess my body isn't done with me yet, and neither are you apparently" Fran said with a slight smile.

"Well, I suppose not, and I'm glad because I need you today." Ethan said with a little chuckle. He stood up at his desk now to greet Fran and give her some of the paperwork he needed her to finish, and stood almost a foot over her. In fact, they were almost the same height sitting.

"Well you're a big strong man Mr. President, I can't imagine you would need these old bones to do anything other than look and complain at everything." Fran was serious about her age, being about 70 years old, but was joking about her ability to help Ethan. Fran was Marshall's assistant back when he was President, and whenever Alyssa was sick or couldn't come in the office, Ethan knew he could count on her. She may have been significantly older than Alyssa, but she was still sharp, efficient, and most of all to Ethan, reliable.

"Oh, come on, you're still a young lady, lively as ever. Now I need you to finish this paperwork from last month's scan, as well as this for sectors 4 and 12. And make sure that the health inspections go smoothly this week, last week they were a bit too sloppy in the kitchen and eating areas and fell behind. We don't need them missing anything."

"Done."

"Good. And did you confirm my meeting with General Miller at noon today?"

"Yes Mr. President, it'll be in the conference room as usual. But sir he did seem a bit perturbed when I brought the meeting up."

"The same face he's given me for years. It's nothing to worry about Fran, thank you." Ethan knew that he wasn't the General's favorite person in the world, but he didn't care and couldn't let it bother him.

General Miller and Ethan had different ways of earning and maintaining respect and power in the Society, but they both earned it. However, Ethan was growing tired of their power struggle. He felt like the General believed he should be the one making all the executive decisions for the Society. Ethan needed to show him that wasn't going to happen.

"If you say so, sir. Perhaps it's the subject of the meeting that has him in a bad mood today." Fran was always perceptive and at her age, had gained enough wisdom to read these situations.

"Yes, I believe you're right. But let's leave it at that. I'll take care of it." They were meeting about the termination chambers, and Miller took pride in his punishment methods. In fact, Ethan was the one who set up the meeting, even though it was usually Miller who did.

"Sir, is everything alright between you and Alyssa? It's not like her to miss work, and I didn't notice anything sickly about her when I walked past her this morning."

"Yes, everything is fine Fran. She just needed some time off."

"Okay sir, I'll get started on that paperwork right away." Fran knew something more was wrong, but decided to let it go so Ethan wouldn't get bothered anymore before his meeting with the General later.

"Thank you." Ethan replied as he sat back at his desk and prepared for his meeting.

***

"Hello, Mr. President."

"Hello, General. Please take a seat." It was just turning 12:00 on the dot, and the General was walking in. Ethan had already been in the conference room where they were meeting for about 30 minutes. He always arrived at his meetings early, because he wanted to have time to set up, get comfortable, and make sure that he didn't come late, as it wouldn't look good for the President and leader of the Society to be tardy.

As General Miller walked in, wearing his military uniform as usual, Ethan could feel the energy in the room change. He could feel the negativity and slight anger from Miller, especially from the look he had on his face, which was his usual disgruntled look, curled up and tight on the cheekbones and face and his eyes gave off a menacing glare as well. But his glares never bothered Ethan.

After the two shook hands and said their greetings, they retreated to their seats, across from each other at a medium size rectangular conference table. Before he sat down, however, Ethan made sure to press the soundproof panel for the room, as well as the stealth panel, ensuring that a) no one would be able to hear them in case things got too loud or confidential information was being shared and b) so no one could see them and they could have their meeting without any interruptions.

"Turning on the sound and stealth panels, I see?" Miller said as he noticed what Ethan was doing.

"Well, you can never be too careful."

"Of course, Mr. President. Now I hear this meeting is about the termination chambers?"

"Yes, it is General."

"Is there something wrong with them, Mr. President? I believe everything is working according to plan, my men are doing a fine job."

"I'm sure they are, General. And things may be going well according to you, but that is about to change."

"Ethan what are you talking about?"

"Jack, I'm shutting the termination chambers down. I'm starting the process next week, and by the end of the month, they'll be gone."

The General's face grew even more upset. He couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"What in the hell do you mean you're 'shutting them down'? Why would you do that? Don't you understand how important it is to maintain order in this world we've built?"

"They're not maintaining order. They're causing a crisis that threatens that order. And watch your tone with me, General." Ethan said with an assertive stare.

"How is it creating a crisis?" the General replied in a restrained tone.

"This isn't the time to act gullible. In the past two months, I've received six different complaints or requests for special meetings from citizens of the Society, all pertaining to the Termination chambers. They want to know where their children have gone, where their friends have disappeared to, where their loved ones went. They notice when someone suddenly disappears and is never heard from again. They understand that we most likely did something to them, and they want to know why. They've sent letters asking me if they're still alive and if so, what the probabilities are of them being brought back. They know that the severity of our punishments is meant to keep things in order and maintain peace, but it's starting to have the reverse effect, and if it erupts, I will be the one held responsible. So, I'm calming the eruption and stopping it before it even begins."

"It has to be one of our agents who is revealing information about the chambers. I'll use whatever tactic I have in order to find that son of a bitch. Trust me I'll-

"No Jack, it isn't your agents. The chambers are the problem."

Because Marshall and Jack developed the chambers together, there was a sentimental attachment to it as well. To Jack, the chambers were symbolic of the regime's power and dominance, and he wouldn't let it go easy.

"Ethan, you can't do this! If you allow violations and crimes to go without punishment, there will be chaos! The Society's existence as a place of order requires the strict and cold mindset that strikes fear in its citizens. You must rule with an iron fist or not rule at all."

At this point, the General stood up and walked over to Ethan. Ethan stood as well and looked him right in his eyes, face to face.

"I'm the President and I will rule how I see fit, and decide what is best for the Society. Last time I checked, I won the election. The people chose me over you. I'm shutting them down, and I'm starting the process today. Good meeting, General, have a good day."

Ethan and the General stared at each other for another moment, but the General had nothing else to say. He couldn't argue with the fact that the people wanted Ethan over him. Still upset but realizing the meeting was over, he turned and walked out the door. Ethan soon followed and briefed Fran on the plans to begin shutting down the termination chambers.

***

"So, you still going through with it huh?"

Asia just walked in Kodi's workshop and saw what she usually saw: her best friend hard at work with one of her inventions.

"Yep." Kodi replied, as she turned around to look at Asia and dusted some stuff off her big afro. She knew she was a mess, but that mess was a result of the hard work she put in to finish the Koko 3000, the name she gave her high tech drone.

Asia sighed. "Alright, well I'm not gonna let you do this alone or mess it up by crushing the drone with your big ass. Tell me what the plan is again."

Kodi told Asia her entire plan again, which took about three minutes because of how thought out and elaborate it was. She had to go through every detail and make sure she didn't forget anything, so telling Asia about it again was a good exercise for her.

"Yep, you're crazy. Like batshit crazy." Asia couldn't think to say anything else, she needed a moment to take in all she just heard.

"Oh come on, it's a good plan."

"Yeah I mean maybe it is Kodi, but there's just too much that could go wrong. Too many things are uncertain."

"I know I know, there are some unknown variables that could cause a few problems, but what plan doesn't have that? The way I see it, that just means that the risk could yield even greater rewards. I know they have some amazing stuff up there, it's the most high-tech place in the universe supposedly. I'm taking that chance to help these people, Asia."

"I know, Kodi, and you know we'll all really appreciate it, it's just-

"Oh and of course I have the Koko 3000 with me! So those unknown variables are countered with an unknown variable on my side."

"Yeah, that toy of yours is pretty awesome." Asia replied.

Earlier that morning, Kodi called Asia down to the workshop frantically, almost bursting with excitement. And Asia knew what that meant: she finally finished her invention. Kodi always got excited and perky when she finished something, and the switch from the determined and serious Kodi to the happy and excited Kodi was a welcomed relief for Asia. She liked seeing her friend so happy, even if the moments never lasted too long. When Asia walked in the workshop, she could hear Kodi's voice greeting her, but she couldn't see her. Then she suddenly appeared and the drone was revealed behind her, flying in the air. Asia was amazed and pretty impressed at the fact that Kodi was actually able to put an invisibility cloaking function into the drone. She knew her friend was resourceful and a genius, but she wasn't too sure if she could pull it off. Now, she had a drone that could cloak, fly, talk and respond to situations on its own.

"All it needs is some lasers, I'm telling ya. Then it would be a masterpiece."

"You really think so?" Kodi asked with a smirk.

"Really Kodi, it's amazing, I always have to remind myself not to doubt you." Asia said.

"Thanks Asia." Kodi said, as Asia came over to give her a hug.

"Ugh you know I'm not into touchy feely stuff, Asia stop!" Kodi said as Asia smothered her with hugs and nudges. Kodi wasn't exactly the hugging type, but she hugged back this time because she knew Asia was just worried about her.

"Whatever, I'm gonna miss you and I want you to come back, so you'll take these hugs and like them!"

"I'm gonna come back Asia, I have to so I can help you guys." Kodi replied.

"I know Kodi, but I just don't want to lose you. I just want you to be okay."

"I'll be fine, come on it's me we're talking about." Kodi was a little worried too, but she wanted to reassure Asia and not have her worry too much.

"And me." the drone said, which made Kodi and Asia laugh.

"Okay well since you got the combo of Kodi and Koko 3000 you can't fail, can you? Well you need to get some sleep and make sure you're rested up for everything tonight, alright?"

"Alright."

***

"Asia! ASIA wake up!" Kodi whispered softly, not wanting to disturb anyone else out of their sleep. She was also shaking Asia's arms a little, she knew she was a heavy sleeper from their childhood.

"Huh? What? What's going on?" Asia said while yawning and rubbing her eyes. It was 11:10, and Kodi was about to head out to complete her mission.