The Story of Us Ch. 02

Story Info
Amber and I get to know each other more.
2.4k words
4.39
3.8k
1

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 01/04/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
WillLyn
WillLyn
3 Followers

After the cluster fucks at in and out processing at BMT in Lackland, I was expecting pretty much the same thing at Keesler. Mess with your head, put the fear off Sgt's in your heart and generally make sure you are scared and confused as much as possible, it wasn't. There were 6 Sgt's and a dozen or so airmen. After a quick check to make sure we had our bags, orders and that we were in the right lines we were soon off to our new squadrons. It was surprising to only see about 18 people at the 338th reception room. The only person from my flight there was Big Easterling and I had already met Robin. The rest of them I didn't know. There also about a dozen people in BDU'S. The I.P. (In Processing)Team checked our orders, found our room assignments and went over the various "student rope" colors, basic squadron rules and answered a few questions. After that we were given our phase cards, that along with our ID's we would use to access the dorms, our room keys and introduced to our "mentors," told to change into BDU'S and then meet our mentors back in the IP room. I changed, made note of the phone numbers to the pay phones in the day room and went back to the IP room.

My mentors name was Zic, and coincidentally my new room mate. From there we went on a walking and bus tour of the base. Zic took us to the Magnolia Dining Facility a.k.a. "The Mag" the main chow hall in the student side of the base or "The Triangle." It was a huge cafeteria that four of the squadrons shared during the week and all six squadrons used on the weekend. We had to eat every meal at the chow halls for the first two weeks, after that we only had to eat breakfast and lunch during the week. We could order pizza from off base if we had it delivered, or eat at the two restaurants on base. After dinner we went to the Mini BX and shown where the cleaners, tailors, and barber shop where. Next was the post office where we got assigned our mail boxes. Our last stop for the night was the Student Center or the "Fishbowl" as it was called. This was one of the social centers of the Triangle. We could visit the Chaplains, or chill out in the TV room. By the time we got back to the 338th it was after 9pm, which was also our curfew time. So much for dropping a message for Amber. We were told to head to bed and be in the IP room at 06:00. By then, despite the naps on the bus I was exhausted and passed out right away.

What actually woke me up the next morning was a loud bang on the door at 03:30. I jumped out of bed and was standing at attention before my brain actually started functioning. Zic chuckled as he climbed down from his bed and turned on the light.

"Buffer," Zic told me, "We do details every morning. You'll get yours at GI party on Sunday."

After eating breakfast I went into the IP room about 05:30. Most of the other Airmen where forming up to march to class but there were still a few hanging around to leave later. Apparently the IP room was a intermediate hangout for "SepRats" or Airmen who were married and lived in base housing and were not allowed in the actual dorms. I found out that the rooms along the hall were actually used as locker rooms for the SepRats to store and change into their PC gear. The morning started with a briefing by Master Sergeant Proctor "Master P" who was our Chief Military Training Leader (MTL's or Blue Ropes as they were more often called). Afterwards we formed up to be marched down to Siebler Center where the main personnel offices where. From there we went over mounds of paperwork and then went into a briefing room to learn how to drive, walk, and ride bikes on base. This was the first time I actually was able to see Amber since getting off the bus.

"Hey stranger," I said walking up to her. "Long time no see."

"Hey," she smiled. "Forget something last night?"

"About that, I'm sorry" I started.

"I know, we didn't get done with the dime tour until 21:30 either. Straight to bed for us too."

"How about dinner tonight, meet you at the Magnolia at 18:00? They told us we'd be done around 17:00 today and we'd have some time to ourselves." I suggested.

"They told us about the same. I'll see you there."

We exchanged pay phone numbers and waited for the briefing to start. After suffering through four hours of death by Power Point we were released to return to our squadrons for lunch, to be followed by more briefings at our squadrons. Back at the squadron it was a parade of Blue Ropes, the Airmen from from the CQ office, our First Sergeant Ramona Evans, and Finally the squadron commander. Now Lt. Col. Naylor was a man of few words. He simply reminded us that while we could come to him with any problems we had, we still needed to follow the chain of command through Sgt. Evans first. I'll never forget his final words to us,

"In the last three months, Four different squadrons have had to go on lock-down for STD's. The 338th hasn't had to be locked down at all during my time here in command, and I intend to keep it that way. USE YOUR CONDOM FUCKING SENSE AND WRAP YOUR SHIT! FOR YOU FEMALES, WRAP HIS SHIT!"

That was the end of the our briefing, Col. Naylor and a couple of the Sgt.s stayed back to answer a few questions and by the time it was all done it was almost 17:00 hrs so we were released. We were told that tomorrow would be our last day of in processing and that Friday we would start A.F.I.

I got to the Mag about ten minutes to 18:00 and found Amber there waiting for me. The chow hall was packed and there was actually a line just to get in.

"I've been told most everyone gets their food To Go and usually eat back at the courtyard at the squadron." Amber said. "The only ones that regularly eat inside are us and you guys at 338th on the weekends."

"Yeah, we have our own chow hall at the 338th, but other squadrons aren't supposed to eat there. The Mag is the only place were all the squadrons can go." I replied.

"Lucky you. This place is a mad house."

After waiting in line for about ten minutes I noticed that the "Sandwich" was almost empty.

"I got an idea, lets just grab a sandwich here." I said. "They told us on the tour yesterday that the bowling alley served pizza. We can actually eat there and maybe play a game."

"Then its a date, it's really loud in here anyways. we wouldn't be able to talk much anyways."

"HUH?" I half shouted.

"I said it really loud in here-" She started again.

"WHAT?" I shouted putting my hand to my ear acting as if I couldn't hear anything. My smile gave me away though and Amber started laughing.

"Any one ever tell you that you're a smart ass?"

"Mamma always said, 'It's better to be a smart ass than a dumb ass.'" I said in my best Forrest Gump impression.

"Do you have a boat named Jenny after a girlfriend?" She laughed.

"No, just a truck. And she was a crush, not a girlfriend."

We didn't bother eating the sandwiches from the chow hall, and as loud as it was in the Mag the base shuttle bus was even louder and more crowded. Amber and I hadn't been able to say a word the whole ride. Once inside the bowling alley and back in the AC we finally were able to talk again.

We put our pizza order and sat down at a table.

"So, where you from," she asked, "That definitely isn't an southern accent in your voice but I can't place it."

"Colorado, a small town in the high plains called Kiowa."

"I've been to Denver and Daddy does business in Boulder every now and then but I've never heard of Kiowa."

"I'd be amazed if you had. I'ts on four blocks by four blocks. There were 21 of us that graduated this year. Seven guys fourteen gals."

"And I thought I was a small school girl. There were 500 of us. So what about siblings. You got family?" She asked.

"Well, there it gets interesting. Kiowa is a farm and ranch town, so most everybody lives outside of town. Within our circle of friends we had the only house in town, that was actually in town. So everyone would gather at our house. Homecoming, Winter Ball, prom, fair, the auctions. Every social event, our house would be crowded." I explained. "And sense no one ever explained to Mom that the rule about feeding stray dogs also applies to kids. Mom only had two girls and me, but she was Mom to 7 girls and 6 boys."

"Wow! I was pretty much and only child. My youngest brother was 12 when I was born. I'm the youngest of five. All boys until me. All military and officers." She said proudly, "I'm the black sheep of the family." She whispered. "What about your family? Anyone in the military?"

"Both my Grandfathers were Army Air Corps. Granddad Morgan was a tail gunner on a B-17 and Grandpa Jack was a P-47 mechanic. My Uncle did three years in the Air Force. But so far just me from my generation."

Moments later our pizza arrived still sizzling from the oven. The waitress also brought our drinks. I immediately grabbed a piece and took a bite. One thing I quickly learned about southern pizza, they cook it HOT! Amber was laughing at me the whole time I was trying to chew without letting the boiling lava that was the cheese touch the roof of my mouth. The "Iced tea" I ordered to drink added insult to injury when the near syrup consistency concoction was way too sweet. Amber's laugh wasn't helping the situation any but at least she had a cute giggle.

"Think that was funny do ya?" I glared.

"Yes!" She giggled. "I may have to reconsider my comment about brains. You burn yourself trying to show off."

"You know the famous last words of a redneck don't ya?"

"Uh uh. What?"

"HEY Y'ALL, WATCH THIS!"

At that Amber lost it. A full fledged laugh came out with a power that I was wondering if she had a microphone.

"That's quite a voice you got there." I said when she finally quieted down.

"Thank you, I sang in the choir."

"School?" I asked.

"No, church. Daddy is very religious and we went to mass every Sunday. What about you? You sing? You sure know how to move some air."

"According to my sister I can't carry a tune with a bucket, but I apparently can with a trumpet. I've played since fifth grade."

"What about church, are you religious?" She asked.

"I believe in a higher power, God if you will. Watch a sunrise or sunset, or look at the stars at night and that will tell you that we are not the highest beings in existence. But, of the people I've met in churches, I've found that alot of them are hypocrites. Down at the Hitchin' Post drinking all night Saturday but holier than thou come Sunday morning at church chugging coffee to fight the hangover you know."

"The Hitchin' Post?" She asked.

"The town bar. My great Granddad would get up every morning watch the sunrise, work all day, then sit on the porch with Great Grandma and a glass of whiskey and watch the sunset. He said the was all he ever needed to know that there was a God. And if you pull your weight in the world, treat others the way you want them to treat you, and do the right thing, you and God won't have any problems. That's the way I try to live. Yeah, I get angry sometimes, cuss, and I'm no angel, but I try to do what's right and help others."

This got a smile from her. We chatted for a while while eating, then got into a short disagreement about splitting the tab. my argument is that is was a "date" and, as the one who suggested it, I pay. Her argument was that we we're not an official couple and that we should go dutch. In the end we compromised by deciding that this would the be the first, and only time, I would let her split the tab.

We didn't end up doing any bowling and started walking back to our squadrons, getting back about 20:30. We didn't make any plans for the next night as Amber said she was kind of a "free spirit" and didn't really like making plans.

The next day it was more of the same, Paperwork, briefings, and general hurry up and wait (something you quickly get used to in the military). They released us about 16:15. since we missed afternoon formation we didn't have to do PC and I decided to do some more exploring. I went into the other big social spot in the Triangle, Vandenburg Hall, or "The V" as many airmen called it. I talked to a few other new arrivals or "Pingers" as they were called. One of which we a gal named Samana Hayes. I noticed the purple and silver rope that she wore and asked what it was.

"Beat and blow. Drum and Bugle." She said. "You can come check it out if you want. Gotta be 2nd phase though. Occasionally we'll go off base."

"Need your own horn?" I asked.

"Nope. We practice Thursday nights, I was actually just headed there now, care to join me?"

"Sure."

After a short audition by playing a few scales and practicing with the rest of the Corps I was accepted. We were to practice on Thursday nights at 19:00. I couldn't get my rope yet but was told after my Phase run next week to come back on that Monday with my phase card and I'd be given my rope and extra uniform pieces.

WillLyn
WillLyn
3 Followers