The Talons of a Dark Heart Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He turned and began to pull his clothes off, leaving them in a pile in the middle of the floor for his servants to pick up later.

"I wish to go to the village with you," Talyis requested taking advantage of his friendly mood. Novak nodded simply while turning the bed down. Her thankfulness soon turned to spite, "I thought you would want to stay the night with Princess Calena."

Cannot handle not being the center my attention, Princess? Novak mused to himself.

"Come to bed, Talyis," Novak ordered, "but clean the glass first. I don't want my servants to cut their feet when they come in the morning."

Pinching her eyes shut, she admonished herself for throwing a tantrum that did not elicit any response from Novak- not even a small row. She picked up the pieces of ceramic and placed them in the fire. She eyed the bed warily; disappointed that she would have to again share it with Novak.

She slowly pulled her dress off leaving only her thin shift and hugged herself, feeling the chill of the room more intensely now. The blankets over his body rose and fell slowly and soft sounds of breathing made her conclude that he had already fallen asleep. She tiptoed to the bed and brought the duvet over her body.

Novak's eyes were closed. Her body tensed when he purred and wrapped his arm around her, bringing her chilled body closer to his warmth. The heat radiating from his body soothed her sore back from hunching over the book. The aroma of his body made her wish she could immerse herself in him.

She asked herself,Why do I feel like diving into a pool of his scent.

She observed him in the moonlight seeping through the window. Tonight, after a long day of inner toil, she felt so desired in his arms, she didn't mind for a moment having to share her bed. Again the green-eyed boy haunted her as he awakened a desire to be wanted and touched. But it wasn't the green-eyed boy, it was now Novak's masculinity calling her in his sleep and it twisted her wits tenacity to repulse his touch. She buried her face in her pillow waiting for the vexed scream to release but relief did not come. She instead turned to the sleeping man behind her.

She stared at his beautiful face. He reminded her of her little friend in the castle, with his dark raven hair. Instead of tight short curls that had made her laugh, there were longer looser curls that reached to his shoulders. There was nothing to mock in this man's appearance. His strong, angular jaw was a delightful juxtaposition of hard against the softness of his hair. His fair skin intrigued her and the pronounced cheek bones didn't make him look sinister while he slept. Butterflies fluttered in her stomach when he squeezed her tightly to him. His eyes popped opened and they stared at each other. A charge in the air passed between them. Talyis's breath hitched in anticipation the longer they looked at each other.

His lips captured hers in a tender kiss, then pulled away. Talyis closed her eyes and wished for his soft lips to touch hers again. To her relief, he did it again, letting his lips linger longer this time, before wrapping her in his embrace. A feral moan passed through his lips into her mouth. He positioned himself over her, pulling the blankets away from her now heated body.

"Are you ok?" he asked. Indecision masked her face; he pulled her shift to her waist and carefully touched his mark. "It is healing. It doesn't look as bad as it did the other day. You will be beautiful once again." He leaned forward to delicately place his lips above the mark.

Talyis gasped and her body instinctively arched off the bed. Novak's heart went into a spiral. She was so sensual, even her innate involuntary sensualities were graceful. One strong hand held her waist and he stroked up and down the sides of her torso. Her pant grew and she quivered under him. His hands rose to her breasts but did not touch them.

His fingers lazily tickled her skin but he frustrated her senses avoiding her breasts, never allowing her shift to drift any higher than above her belly button. He kissed her belly button and trickled his lips around her belly, letting his evening whiskers tickle her. Her body rose off of the padding and she cupped her hands around his neck, her body pleaded for more. He snaked up to her and kissed her deeply. His lips sucked her soft ones into his mouth, teaching her how to kiss as a lover. She moved her lips within his and grabbed onto his bottom lip and sucked. Confidence welled within her and she pulled herself up and attacked Novak's lips with fervor. Her hands began searching his body on their own accord for a proper touch but hesitated, not knowing where to go. Novak stopped her nervous hands, holding them in his own and pulled away from her.

"Sleep," he said. His voice was husky. He rolled over and his body sunk into the bed beside her. Talyis slid under the covers, molding her body against his. His arms again came around her. She felt so close to someone after so many years of silence. A strange peace came over her, she closed her eyes. Novak reached over her to peck tiny kisses on her closed eyelids.

***

Two months later...

Another nightmare racked through her and she woke up screaming in the night. Novak pulled her closer to him, holding her tightly as she drifted back to sleep. Tears seeped from his eyes as they had the night at the camp when he took her. He had fought with himself constantly since that night. She was his; she would bear his mark for the rest of her life and be in eternal servitude to him.

He regretted having to do it, but that was the way slaves were marked, although he let sadism rule and did not place his seal in the customary location. Constantly reminding himself that his decision to give her to the men was justifiable did not alleviate the pressure on his heart. His bitterness towards Talyis was in opposition to the humility Umma and his parents had instilled in him. He wanted to love Talyis, treat her as a lover would. But Gareth was right; she was distracting his thoughts and weakening his kingdom at the same time. The hatred he had for her when they first captured her was melting away, leaving him uncertain.

He clutched her soft body to him, breathing in her wonderful scent, vigilantly waiting for her mind to move on from the nightmares he had caused to a more peaceful sleep. The pit of his stomach had not grown lighter since Calena entered his life, he fought hourly to choose against love and wished to reveal the truth to Talyis.

For two months, Calena had occupied his days, but he anticipated the nights in which he would be with Talyis. Each night he promised himself he would not touch her, that he would give her what little peace he could. But every night she was harder to resist. Each night, she explored his body, tentatively and hesitantly at first, but her passion and confidence grew quickly. The night troubled him, he'd hope that as she grew persistent in lust for him, her mind's warring against her with vivid nightmares would finally end after they had fallen asleep each night.

He had hoped that things had improved for her. She accompanied him with Calena daily to the village. She was thankful when he allowed her time to explore the village herself with a palace guard to keep her safe from his still-angry people. The guard had informed him that she had befriended Delia. He was delighted that Delia could have a female friend of great influence like Talyis; perhaps she could soften Delia's garish edges. When Talyis read to him the first page of the ancient book, he was so proud he swept her up in his arms and they actually laughed together.

Calena, he thought, was oblivious to the stolen gazes he snuck throughout the day. Searching for Talyis through the window during their parlor games, he would excuse himself with a lie that he was overseeing his slave's business.

The castle gardens slowly transformed into order as Talyis spent her spare time clearing the overgrowth and weeds. Years of disdain for her childish bullying had became a questionable excuse. The woman she was did not resemble the once little monster he had known.

Talyis was kind to his people even though they did not take fondly to her because of her race. She continued to challenge him throughout the day with smug remarks and refusals to comply to orders, but when others' backs were turned he bent to her wishes. Talyis hadn't ended her feisty opposition but Novak noticed how withdrawn she became when Calena was with him.

He appreciated Calena's companionship but his heart ached for the night so he could be with Talyis. It troubled him all the more realizing that she withdrew because she could not equate herself to the Navapa princess.

When he was certain that her nightmare had passed, he resolved to end the charade of having, as Gareth had put it, the appearance of a lover in his bed. In the dark he began to plan his proposal to Calena and arrangements for Talyis to live far away across the sea. It was evident that what he had hoped and dreamed since boyhood could not be; it was time to be the true ruler and not chase after vapors of the past.

As soon as the sun broke light across the sky, Novak made preparations. He ordered Talyis to run errands in the village knowing she would sneak time with Delia. This plan would work for what he needed to do: propose to Calena. He could not do it with Talyis near; his conscience would fight him for not going after love. Today, he was not amused at Talyis' usual attempts to hide her secret of stealing away time with Delia by bickering with him and leaving the castle with slight off comments that tested his patience. He was on edge.

"This rain is awful," Talyis complained shuffling into the tavern her arms filled with basket of linens and things.

"Ae! Pigeon!" Delia yelled brashly. She came from around a tall long table and took the baskets from her. "Can't complain about this bit of water. 'Tis only prelude to the rainy season." She glanced as the baskets. "My Pige, he's set you to turn the castle right."

Talyis slumped in the closest chair exhausted and spied the guard, her chaperon and whispered, "He the crudest man that ever lived. Can you help me?"

"You know you don't have to ask, Sweet," Delia hopped onto one of the tall chairs, her body giggling happily. She began to pick through the numerous baskets of tasks and set about organizing the laces to be given away to Novak's fallen guardsmen's wives. "I am so blessed to have me Gareth and not be getting one of these blasted pieces of condolence." Talyis scoffed not saying anything, just continued wrapping ribbons around the delicate fabrics.

While they worked, Delia gabbed on about this and that, Talyis was very thankful the constant ramblings that always helped the time past quickly. Talyis even smiled when Gareth came down from the upstairs rooms. He was sweating, his blonde hair darkly matted to his face. He used his tunic to wipe off the sweat dripping from his face and chest.

"Luv, you finished. Help our Talyis with these errands set to undo her," Delia crooned. Garreth ignored his wife, instead grabbed a mug and dunked it in the water jug, filling it and splashing water to the floor. He sat down next to Delia and kissed her forehead. "You heard me. Help us!" Plopping beside Delia, Gareth took a long drink to quench his thirst. He sat his mug down and stretched, his arms reaching behind his back before setting them behind Delia.

"Gareth!" Delia screeched and hopped in her chair turning to him.

"Woman, I just re-organized the furniture in your entire room, give me a moment's rest." Gareth snapped, love still oozing in his admonishment.

"Oh, me Luv, yer grand," Delia squealed and busied her hands about his shoulders and chest. "Let me move the crags." Gareth groaned like a lion in approval as she massaged him. She then slapped his leg and he jumped in surprised. "Now get to it. It be dark before you know it. Go deliver these to those poor wretches. It'll mean all the more coming from you than Novak's slave." She pushed the finished basket of gifts into his lap and pulled at his shoulders to get him up from his chair.

"You're so silent today. What weights your mind, Pigeon?" Delia turned to Talyis, now ignoring that Gareth was still planted in his seat.

Talyis snapped from her the pleasantry of watching the couple bicker and slumped in her chair, "There is not much to talk about."

"Nonsense! You know you can tell me how much you despise Novak, I pay it no mind. He is my King and dearest friend but I know he can be more arse than mule too."

"Delia," Gareth warned.

Delia huffed, her faced scrunched up and she flared her red hair about as she shook her head, "Arent you s'posed to have gone now?"

"I want out, Delia. I can handle this anymore." Talyis pleaded.

Delia's demenor became serious, "Is this about what he does to you in the night?"

"No," Talyis answered quickly and then thought about it again, "No. No?"

She blushed through her caramel complexion and chewed on her lip.

Delia quickly turned to Gareth, her body bouncing up and down like a child, "Gareth! Go! We ladies 'ave things to chat that are not privy to the male ears."

Gareth took another gulp of water from his mug and slumped out of his chair taking the basket with him. Delia cleared her throat loudly stopping Gareth in his tracks. He smiled and kissed the top of her head goodbye.

"What plagues you?" Delia probed as soon as Gareth had swung the tavern doors closed behind him.

Talyis shuffled in her seat. "I have to get out of here. I am losing myself. Each night I don't know what I want anymore."

"Is he still intent on taking you as his right as your owner?"

"That's not it, Delia. He doesn't, I am glad he doesn't. But..." Talyis traced the lace with her fingers avoiding Delia's eyes.

"You wish he did?" Delia sat up straight getting more engaged in the gossip.

Talyis shuffled uncomfortably in her chair, her eyes still focused on the remaining pieces of lace, "It's becoming more a challenge to despise him as much. Something must be wrong. He's become so gentle, so giving and yet he does not touch me- anywhere."

Delia sat silently for a bit and then burst out loud in laughter, "Pige, you suffering hysteria from our dear Novak?" She laughed again, drumming the table with her fat fists. Talyis was far from amused. "Everyday you curse him, day in and day out you tell me the same thing listing everything about him you hate. And now you want him to bring you to a pant." Talyis's face blushed and stood up pounding her small fist into the table in anger. Delia tried to contain herself, "Sorry Pigeon. Don't get all ruffled. Sit." Delia took a deep breath and her laughter subsided. Talyis sat down cautiously. "What's the worst that can happen?"

"Delia, I know you enjoy my company and this is your home. But it isn't mine. I don't want my life to be meaningless. Novak is going to marry Calena one day. I need to escape. I want a life of my own."

"What about yer harsh life?" Delia arched an eyebrow.

Talyis stopped, realizing she was wishing for more than she should have for her pretenses as the bar wench she proclaimed to be. She sat silent and began to take on the next basket of errands; organizing the flowers to be eventually given to Calena. She took a small hand full of the beautiful flowers that smelt so lovely and wished that it was for her instead Calena. She stopped, slamming her hands into her lap.

"I am not who I said I was," Talyis admitted.

"No!" Delia aghast sarcastically. The women sat still looking at each other before bursting into laughter. "Pigeon, I knew from the moment I laid me eye on you.»

"I knew you couldn't have believed me but I tried to lie. And then you befriended me and I thought I got away with it." Talyis then sighed, "I am the Princess of Onor. Prince Novak, Gareth and the Aricin band captured me and made me Novak's slave. I do not remember how it happened, I just remembered being taken from my chambers in middle of the night."

Delia stopped laughing and chewed on her lips, her red eyelashes downcast hiding the years of pain she hid under her brassiness. She quietly responded her voice choked, "What yer King done was awful. I lost me entire family when I was just a wee girl. I raised meself on me own. It's been plenty lonely for a long time until me Luv came round." Talyis's face flushed with guilt for all the things she had said in the past about the Aricin in Delia's presence, even her curses of Novak. "But, emm, two wrong don't mike the past right." Delia took a deep breath and looked at Talyis and reached for her hands. Talyis guiltily took the hands of the woman that her family had caused so much pain for, trying to ease the pain. "What do you want Talyis?"

"I am sorry, Delia," Talyis croaked.

"No, that's not what I asked."

Talyis sat still she glanced at her lap and to her friend who had been so kind to her despite all that her family had done, "I want a chance to be in love. To be loved."

Inside she screamed,But maybe I don't deserve it. Maybe it's not meant for me. I need to make things right.

Delia assisted Talyis with completing the errands in the village and picking up items for Novak and Calena. Delia joked through her vigilance to keep Talyis's mood light, no longer wanting to reflect on the past and keep her friend. Twilight closed on them suddenly and Talyis complained that Novak's plan was to punish her with an impossible number of tasks to complete. Delia cackled that she should mouth off to him if he gave her any grief because she was able to do what no other servant would be able to do in a week let alone in a day.

***

Novak paced his parlor heatedly, he hands wringing as his dark curls floated to and fro. Calena sat at the chess table sipping from a wine goblet held delicately between her two fingers, annoyed.

"Dear Novak, please sit. It is embarrassing that you are troubling yourself over a stupid slave girl," Calena chimed, but Novak looked out the window again. It was a new moon and the weather darkened the stars. He looked off into the distance, surveying the forest below and looking for lamps to light the twisting path through it to the entrance of the castle. "Novak sit!"

"She should have been back by now," he growled. Just as he wrung his hands, his nerves wrung with ideas of Talyis being harmed by some of his people avenging their loved ones. He wanted to roar in frustration.

"I am to be your wife and I am sitting here bored while you are concerning yourself with a simple slave."

Novak clenched his eyes shut and tried to stop his stomach from turning. He had sent Talyis away with too many errands, so that he could more easily force himself to propose to Princess Calena. Her selfish words stirred his ire for her all the more, she reminded him of a young Talyis, a spoiled self-centered bitch.

"Why don't you have other slaves in the castle?"

"We haven't had slaves since the fall of our people, she is the first since the reconstruction," Novak answered simply his attention still focused on the window.

"I know that you bed her. I do not mind as long as you do not give her pleasure; she is your slave by all means."

Novak ground his teeth Calena had become more and more meddlesome since the moment he had proposed to her, especially on matters regarding Talyis. But he was determined to disguise his affection for Talyis. It could never amount to anything, after all.

Calena slammed her fist onto the table causing the little game pieces to clatter to the floor, "Novak!" she snapped. "Come away from the window. I will have her whipped for being late and causing your Lordship so much trouble."