The Tides Of War Pt. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The leopard was catapulted over his head and landed ten feet away.

It crouched, its tail swishing violently, has its yellow eyes fixed on David preparing to leap.

Agony swept through his body from the bite, claws and broken leg, has he struggled to sit up.

The leopard crouched lower coiling itself ready to spring, when with a snort off rage Kahn was rearing in front of it lashing out with his hooves.

The leopard changed its target and sprang; sinking its claws into Kahn's neck has it bit into his throat, the back legs racking his chest.

Kahn screamed, and fell to its front knees by the weight off the cat.

David managed to free his pistol, despite the waves of white hot agony that flooded his body and somehow crawled towards the stricken horse.

Kahn continued to scream has the leopard racked him, blood was issuing from its nose in a bloody froth has it tried in vain to stand.

"Leave him you bastard," David screamed has he finally reached them, he thrust the barrel off the pistol into the leopard's ear and pulled the trigger, once twice then three times.

The leopard collapsed dead,

N'debi arrived taking in the scene before him.

"Bwana," he cried looking in horror has David tried to push the leopard from Kahn's head.

"Bwana I must treat your wounds."

David wasn't listening, "Kahn, oh God, Kahn" he sobbed.

N'debi picked up the cat and threw it from them.

The horse lifted his head looking at David its eyes rolling in pain, the bloody froth issuing from its nose.

The horse was in agony from the horrendous wounds inflicted by the leopard.

"It's all right boy" David sobbed, "I'll stop the pain." His voice breaking, has he stroked Kahn's head.

Kahn tried to whinny, but only more off the bloody froth appeared.

He lifted the pistol and placed it gently against his head and pulled the trigger.

David collapsed over Kahn's body, his shoulders heaving with the sobs from his own body.

N'debi had started a fire and had placed his spearhead in it. He moved to lift David from the horse's body, but when he tried, David screamed and passed out.

When he came too, he was propped up against the trunk off the tree, the smell off burnt flesh heavy in the air. He noticed from blurred eyes N'debi had made a large fire close by. White hot pain lanced through him from his shoulder, back and leg, which was now sticking straight out with N'debi's knobkerrie bound to it.

N'debi was pulling his rifle from its saddle holster, and he vaguely noticed his saddlebags and water bottle were by his side.

N'debi turned carrying the rifle towards him.

"You are awake bwana, good. I must go for help. You must stay awake now, the hyenas and jackals will smell the blood and come soon."

David nodded, his eyes on Kahn's body.

N'debi gave him a drink from his canteen, and at David's request unfastened the saddlebags, and with his instructions loaded the pistol from the ammunition inside.

David put it down within easy reach alongside the other pistol N'debi had taken from the saddle.

"I must go now bwana, but you must stay awake." he warned, with that he set off running.

David took another swallow from the canteen, before placing a pistol in his lap.

At times the pain almost engulfed him, but he fought to stay conscious by thinking off Kahn.

The mule had bolted at the first snarl off the leopard, Kahn should have too, he knew.

But instead he has stayed to protect him.

His mind began to wonder thinking back, to the days and nights they had been together, he was on the verge off slipping back into unconsciousness, when the insane laugh off a hyena pulled him back.

They were not going to have Kahn he vowed to himself, forcing himself awake has the pain lanced through him, began again.

Patar rained in along with three Gurkhas at the tree, jumping down from his sweat-encrusted horse.

"David" he cried rushing over to where David sat against the tree.

David lifted his head, and slowly and smiled, "Don't let them get Kahn" he said weakly has his head fell forward into unconsciousness.

Patar looked at the dead around the tree, the leopard, the horse and two hyenas.

For two weeks David hung by a thread to life, has the fever raged within his body, sometimes he would see faces above him, but they were blurred, and then he would sink back into oblivion.

Finally the day dawned when the fever broke.

He was conscious off his leg itching, he tried to scratch it but his fingers encountered something stiff covering it.

Then suddenly Susan's face was above him, her eyes bright with tears has she smiled down at him.

"Susan" he mumbled, she placed her finger across his lips, "Schuss, don't excite yourself" she murmured bending and kissing him.

Over the next few days he learnt that they had arrived back from England over a week ago. Slowly has his strength came back he was allowed to sit up, out on the stoop for a few hours, whilst Susan changed his dressings with his son Guy watching on.

"You're going to have some scars to boast about when the scabs come off" she warned.

On another occasion she told him how N'debi had saved his life by cauterising his wounds with his red-hot spearhead. "The leopard's claws and teeth would have been full off germs from the animals he'd killed"

He in turn told her how Kahn had saved his life at the cost off his own.

She smiled sadly nodding "They brought him back, he's buried behind the stable"

He had visitors, Martin and Jill and their daughter Barbara, Patar and Rham, and N'debi, who he thanked for his help.

"Bwana it was your horse who helped, truly he was a warrior chief amongst horses. I only tended to your wounds"

"But without your help with my wounds I should have died"

David with the help off crutches that Hanga had made finally hobbled to Kahn's grave behind the stables.

Granite blocks had been put over it, a simple head stone chiselled with the words 'Kahn bravest off the brave' he stood looking down on it filled with emotion, he swallowed and then turned back towards the stable.

Sulkie had her head out of the stall, and whinnied at his approach.

"Hello darling" he murmured fondling her head. "You miss him too" he said scratching her ear. She pushed her head against his chest, has her daughter looked up to see who it was.

Suzi was six months old now and resembled her mother in colouring but there were still signs off Kahn in her head and height.

He gave her the apple, has she munched it he could see the years were catching up with her.

Patar appeared at his side, "She's growing into a fine filly David" he murmured, "She continues the line of Kahn and Sulkie"

David nodded turning towards him, "Sulkie is to be retired now Patar, she deserves to be with her children out in the Crater"

"My father always said, that a horse at the end of their days is content to see their children grow David, to see their bloodline flourish.

To be continued.

12