The Trail West Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Tom Larson? Why would he want to hurt the Maguires? He's got more land and cattle than they do," Josh was talking to Red but Rafe answered.

"The Maggie M has the best water for a hundred miles in any direction and Larson wants the rights to it. He said if we stole enough cattle and scared the Maguires he could buy them out real cheap. We'll tell it all to the Sheriff and testify if you won't shoot us like you did Carl."

"That's twice you've said we shot Carl. We didn't shoot him Rafe; someone shot him out of the saddle as we were taking him to Sheriff Horton," Josh told him. "I think Larson killed him to keep him from talking to the Sheriff."

"That son-of-a-bitch! I bet you're right. He said that the Sheriff didn't believe your story that someone else shot Carl but couldn't prove any different. You get us to Sheriff Horton and we'll help put a nail in Larson's coffin."

Red looked at Josh and then Jerry, "You boys take them into the Sheriff. I've got something to do."

"Where're you going Red?" Josh questioned.

"I'm going to put an end to it. Larson has got to pay for his actions and I'm the collector."

"You're going to throw away a life with Sarah because of that piece of cow shit? If you kill him Red you'll be on the run for the rest of your life. Stop and think about it for a minute."

Red stared at Josh for a while and then nodded his head. "You're right friend. I want him bad but I want Sarah more." He looked at Rafe and Barry for a bit and asked, "Were you supposed to shoot Danni?"

"No, we were just trying to scare her. We figured to shoot her horse and scare the hell out of her," Rafe answered.

Now it was Red stopping Josh from killing someone. When Rafe said they were going to shoot Sunny, Josh's hand started for his pistol. Red grabbed his hand and asked, "You want to be on the run for the rest of your life or do you want to spend it with Danni?"

Rafe watched and listened to his captors and when he looked at Josh he saw death in his eyes. He gulped and swallowed hard. He hung his head and said softly, "Sorry Mister."

When Red was sure that Josh was okay he turned to Jerry who had joined them. "Jerry you did good son. Would you ride back to the ranch and tell everyone we're takin these two into the Sheriff?"

"Yes sir Red. Will y'all be back tonight?"

"Not sure yet," Josh answered and then turned to Rafe and Barry. "When were you gonna let Larson know how the plan went?"

After seeing how upset Josh had been, Rafe quickly answered, "He's supposed to meet us at the saloon in town tomorrow about midday and pay us."

"Then we won't be home tonight Jerry. We'll hang around and see what happens when Larson comes to town," Red told him. He turned to Josh and said, "You didn't say I couldn't watch Larson get what's coming to him."

They tied Rafe and Barry to their saddles and rode the five miles into town. After turning the pair over to the Sheriff, Red and Josh arranged rooms at Mrs. Cassidy's boarding house for the night. They planned to stay and watch Tom Larson get put in jail.

Sheriff Horton looked at Red and said, "You stay out of this, you hear McCall? You too Josh. I'll not have vigilante justice in my town."

"Okay Sheriff, we just want to watch you put him in jail. And maybe laugh at him a little," Red responded with an evil grin.

At 11 AM the next day Tom Larson rode into town and stopped at the saloon. He was sitting at a table near the front door pouring a whiskey when Sheriff Horton stepped over to him and set down. "Haven't seen you in town for a while Tom. Got business to take care of?" The Sheriff asked in a friendly manner.

"Been over to the bank and I'm meeting two of my cowhands in a few minutes. After that it's back to the ranch," Larson replied.

Neither the Sheriff nor Larson noticed that Red and Josh had come into the saloon through the side door. They positioned themselves off to the side of the men at the table. Red had convinced Josh that they should at least be around in case something went wrong when the Sheriff arrested Larson. "One way or another, Larson's going down Josh," Red promised.

"I don't think Rafe and Barry are going to make your meeting Tom," Horton told him. Larson was surprised that the Sheriff knew who he was meeting and it showed on his face.

"They're down in the jail; arrested for shooting at Danielle Maguire and for stealing cattle. Those two had an interesting story to tell. I'm gonna have to ask for your gun Tom; you're under arrest."

Larson knew his plan to get hold of the Maggie M was over and maybe his freedom too. He stood up quickly pushing the table into the Sheriff as he did and pulled his pistol. Before he could really get it pointed at Horton he heard a voice from his left.

"If you finish that draw Larson, I'll put a bullet in your head." Larson turned his head and saw Red with his own pistol pointed at him.

"And if he don't get you I will," came from Larson's right. He turned in that direction and saw Josh pointing a pistol at him too. "I'll give you the count of three to put your pistol on the table," Josh continued.

"If he gets past one Larson, you'll never hear the count of two," Red threatened.

Larson dropped his gun onto the table and raised his hands. Horton stood and picked up the pistol, pulling his own and pointing it at his prisoner. "Let's mosey on down to the jail Tom. I've got a special cell waitin on you."

"We'll walk along with you Sheriff," Red told him. "If that's okay with you, that is."

"I could say no but you two wouldn't listen any better than you did when I told you to stay out of all this. Now would you boys?"

Both Josh and Red smiled at the Sheriff and followed him to the jail. After putting Larson in a cell Horton said, "Thanks boys. Things could have got a mite tense if you hadn't stepped in. I'm glad you didn't pay no mind to me."

"When will he be tried?" Josh asked.

"The circuit judge will be here in about three weeks. That's when we'll formally charge him. I'll need you two to testify about following the cattle onto his land. Between Rafe and Barry and you two we should be able to send him to the territorial prison for quite a spell. The courts don't take kindly to rustlin."

They said good bye to the Sheriff saying they could still make it back to the Maggie M well before supper. Josh and Red had been on the road for about half an hour when Red spoke for the first time since leaving Fountain.

"Josh, how am I gonna get Sarah to marry me? I don't know what to say to her."

"I spect all you'll have to do is ask her. The way she acts, she's rite fond of you. Oh, and you might want to tell her you love her," Josh answered.

The two young men rode into the yard of the ranch house. Red turned to the corral where Sarah was tending the horses. He climbed over the corral fence and Sarah ran to him. He picked her up and twirled her around both of them laughing. Josh rode on toward the house as Danni jumped off the porch running to him. He had barely stepped down from Diablo when she threw her arms around his neck and put her head on his chest.

I don't believe I'm ever gonna take that trail back to Missouri, Josh thought.

To be continued...