The Treachery of the Heart

Story Info
The military did not prepare him for the battle of love.
12k words
4.12
41.5k
29
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Riley lifted his spine from the sofa as his frame curled in an all over stretch. Placing his thick arm behind his head, he gazed up towards the ceiling.

His chest was bare, and the thin blanket that covered his legs had slipped to the side while he slept, and was now buried in the creases of the cushions. The only thing that covered him was a pair of worn blue jeans that he had been wearing the day before.

The sun was just peeking through the window. It was early, and the house was quiet as he lay there. He was just contemplating pulling himself up to use the bathroom when the sound of movement from above caught his attention.

He wasn't sure if the footsteps belonged to his brother Mark, or his wife Leah, but someone was up and about, and he could clearly hear them walking around.

When the muffled sound of footsteps padding down the staircase reached his ears, he peered over the top of the sofa to see who it was. Leah. Dropping his head back down, he took a deep breath.

"Good morning," he said quietly.

Pausing at the sound of his voice, a moment passed before she continued down the stairs until she was standing behind the sofa. Her large blue eyes met his grey ones as she looked at him.

"Morning," she returned softly. "How did you sleep?"

"Alright," he told her. "It was a lot more comfortable than the cots at the base."

Leah nodded slowly in response. "I was going to go make some coffee. Would you like some?" she inquired.

"Sure," he responded in a hushed tone. "Is Mark up?"

Leah shook her head. "Not yet."

Turning away, she slipped past the couch, and entered the kitchen. Riley watched her slight frame disappear from his sight, and he took another deep breath.

Lifting himself up from the sofa, he rubbed his eyes for a moment before heading in the direction of the bathroom. Once he was inside, he closed the door, and ran a hand through his short, russet hair before glancing in the mirror.

He needed a shave. Sliding his fingers over the lower portion of his face, he grimaced before turning away to unbutton his jeans so that he could relieve himself.

It wasn't any easier as he assumed it would be. Two years hadn't done anything to diminish the yearning he felt, and that fact had been brought home to him the moment she had opened the door, and found him standing there with his duffel bag slung over his shoulder.

He still wanted her. Still felt the electric pulse that shot through his body simply from being near her, and with a sinking heart he had acknowledged the fact as he'd stepped into the house to allow his brother to hug him.

It was agony. Wanting to touch her, hold her, kiss her mouth when he couldn't. She was completely off limits to him, far from his reach, and the knowledge was what had sent him fleeing from his home two years ago.

Enlisting into the army had given him something else to focus on. Something else to put his energy, and passion into. He thought he was over this.

He was a grown man now. No longer the hesitant, unsure youth he had once been, and he wasn't quite sure how to deal with the rush of emotions that were stirring within him knowing full well he had to keep them at bay. She was still his brother's wife, and she was still off limits.

Closing his jeans, he flushed the toilet, and left the bathroom. His bare feet carried him across the living room until he reached the kitchen. As he passed through the doorway, he paused when he spotted her standing at the counter with her back to him.

The pink, silk robe that she wore was short, and barely reached the middle of her thighs. Riley's eyes focused on the back of her shapely legs for a moment before sliding up her body. When she turned around to face him, his grey eyes were heated.

Hers became instantly wary as she took in his expression. "The coffee will be ready in a few minutes," she said hesitantly.

Without giving any inclination that he had heard her, his long legs carried him forward until he was standing directly in front of her. His intense grey eyes peered down at her, and Leah had to tilt her head back to meet his gaze. When she saw the desire blazing from his eyes, her mouth parted with a gasp.

"Don't," she breathed softly.

He seemed to be endlessly searching her wide blue eyes, and then his restraint crumbled, and he dropped his head in one swift movement as he took her mouth with his own. Lifting his fingers, he slid them along her cheek until they were buried in her dark hair, and then his thumb brushed along her jaw in a caress as he urged her lips to part.

When she opened to him, his tongue lashed out in search of hers, and a harsh breath escaped his nostrils once he found it. Sliding them together, a soft sound of pleasure escaped his throat as he began tasting her.

Their lips meshed together in a hot, wet exploration that lasted several seconds, and then Leah lifted her hands to his chest before turning her head to pull away from him.

"Riley," she gasped. "I can't."

His body was tense, and inflamed, and he completely ignored the rebuke as his other hand lifted to quickly pull the tie to her robe.

Slipping his large fingers inside, he circled her waist with his strong arm, and pulled her against him. With another gasp she peered up at him in surprise, and then his head descended to take her mouth again.

He became urgent. His fingers slipped further into her hair until he was cradling the back of her head, and he used his hold on her to pull her mouth to his as he widened his lips to taste her more deeply. He began to lose all sense of control as a low groan of need escaped his throat.

When he pressed her against the counter, and his hips frantically came into contact with hers, she fought once again to pull away. Wrenching her head to the side, her breath came out in stilted gasps as he panted above her.

"We can't do this," she said in agony. "Please stop," she begged.

As she looked up at him, his grey eyes were fierce while he struggled to gain control. He was still holding her in a death grip when they finally closed, and he dropped his forehead to hers. Taking a few jagged breaths, he opened them to look at her.

"I couldn't help it," he told her softly.

Leah's eyes frantically darted around before she lifted them to his once more. "It's okay," she said quickly. "No one saw. You can't do it again though. You can't look at me like that. Especially around Mark. He'll notice."

Nodding in understanding, Riley continued to look into her eyes. "I won't," he promised her. "I'll behave. No one will ever know how much I want to touch you," he said thickly. "How much I want to taste you every time that I look at you. They'll never suspect how badly I want to be inside of you," he admitted darkly.

His words made her gasp again as she gazed up at him helplessly. His name left her lips in a gently spoken plea. Closing her eyes to escape the heat of his eyes, she took an unsteady breath as her hands fisted against his bare chest.

A rough exclamation of need escaped Riley, and then his lips claimed hers again. She met the onslaught of his lips with her own, and a soft mewl of unmistakable desire entered his mouth as he continued to lose himself against her.

Once he pulled away, he released his hold on her so that he could run his fingers through his hair in agitation. When he looked up at her, his cloudy eyes held a warning. "I want you," he said harshly. "Badly."

His chest lifted abruptly, and then fell as he tried to keep himself from reaching for her again. "Coming here was a mistake," he whispered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He was sixteen years old the first time that she had kissed him. He remembered it vividly because it was the first time that anyone had kissed him.

He had been laying on his bed watching a baseball game, and was thoroughly disgusted at his team's inability to score a run.

When his favorite player whacked his third foul ball, Riley slipped from his mattress, and shook his head in disbelief. Crossing his room on bare feet, he left it to step across the hall to use the bathroom.

Reaching for the handle, he pushed the door open wide, and became startled to see that his brother's girlfriend Leah was already inside. A rushed apology left his lips before he quickly pulled the door closed.

He stood there for a moment as a frown passed over his young features, and then he slowly opened the door again. Peering inside, he spotted her sitting on top of the toilet with her face pressed into her hands. She was crying.

He was immediately struck with concern as he stepped back into the room. "Are you alright?" he asked hesitantly.

Lowering her head, she quickly wiped at her eyes before nodding. Her voice wavered when she responded. "Yes. I'm fine," she assured him. "Did you need to use the bathroom?"

Riley ignored the question. "Why are you crying?" he wondered in confusion.

Her large, blue eyes darted to meet his for a moment, and then she looked away. "It's nothing. I'm just worried about something. I'm sure it will be fine."

She attempted to force a reassuring smile, but her mouth trembled making it unconvincing.

Riley felt helpless as he looked at her. His grey eyes widened as they darted about the room. His mind raced for something to say.

"Do you want me to go get Mark?" he finally asked her.

"No! Please don't," she pleaded. "I don't want him to know that I'm upset," she insisted.

Riley nodded as another frown passed over his face. "Is there anything I can do?"

Leah shook her head. Her slight frame trembled as she dragged in an unsteady breath. "There's nothing anyone can do. I don't know how this could have happened."

Lifting herself to her feet, her fingers rose to her forehead as a pained grimace passed over her features. Then her tremulous gaze met his. "I'm really scared, Riley," she whispered.

Her words brought him further into the room until he was standing beside her. His young face was apprehensive, and etched with perplexity. "Tell me what's wrong. I want to help you, Leah."

When she began to cry once more, his heart sunk. Lifting her arms, she wrapped them around his neck, then pressed her face against his chest as she sobbed quietly. Riley's mouth parted in surprise, but then he reached his arms up to hold her.

"It's going to be alright," he said to her gently. Sliding his palm up and down her spine, he attempted to soothe her while she clutched onto him.

When she finally began to quiet against him, she took in a deep, shuddering breath. "I'm pregnant," she whispered in horror.

Riley had not been expecting that. He asked the first thing that came to his mind. "Does Mark know?"

Leah's head shook against him. "No one knows. You're the first person I've told," she said weakly.

Riley smiled as he peered down at her. "That's not the end of the world," he said trying to brighten her outlook. "I'm going to be an uncle. How cool is that?"

His words had the desired effect. Leah's lips tilted begrudgingly where her cheek was pressed against him.

"You're not alone, Leah. You have Mark. You have your family. You have me. I'll help out in any way that I can."

Leah took another deep breath before pulling back to look up at him. "I'm only eighteen, Riley. I'm not ready for this," she admitted.

Riley nodded in understanding before lifting his fingers to push through her dark hair at her temple in a comforting gesture. "I know," he told her. "Sometimes life just throws you a curve ball," he said with a smile.

Leah looked up at him with gratitude. "I only hope your brother responds this positively to the situation," she said with worry.

"He will," Riley assured her. "If he doesn't I'll punch him in the face."

He grinned after he said it making Leah laugh. Gripping his shirt in her hands, she leaned onto her tip toes, and pressed her mouth to his to kiss him in gratitude. When she pulled back her blue eyes gazed up into his surprised face as she smiled again.

"You're the best, Riley," she said in appreciation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

His back was stiff as he turned away from her. His hands clenched at his sides while he fought for control. After a moment, his frame sagged, and his head dropped low.

"I wasn't planning to do this," he said quietly. "I need you to believe me."

"I don't think that," she whispered. When her fingers reached out to touch his bare back, a shudder tore through him.

"I love you, Leah," he confessed. "I always have. Denying it anymore is pointless."

"Don't say that," she gasped.

Riley shook his head before turning back to face her. "Why not?" he demanded thickly. "It's true."

Capturing her wide, blue eyes within his intense gaze, he drew closer so that their bodies nearly touched. Looking down at her, the heat in his grey eyes kept her prisoner while he kept his mouth a breath from hers.

"Tell me that you don't feel anything," he whispered harshly. "Tell me that you don't want me."

Leah closed her eyes for a moment to escape the overpowering lure he possessed. Swallowing slowly, she opened them once again, and stared helplessly at him. "I can't tell you that," she breathed in agony.

When he swayed towards her, Leah lifted her hand to his chest to keep him in place. "I'm thinking of Abbie, Riley."

It was enough. His entire frame deflated, and his expression grew pained. "I love Abbie too," he said fiercely. "I would take care of you. Both of you. I'm not a child anymore, Leah."

The statement was apparent as she looked at him. He was every bit a grown man as he loomed above her. When she hesitated too long in answering, he took the opportunity to sway her in other ways.

His head descended abruptly, and he captured her lips. Then his hands were cupping her face to hold her still so that he could taste her. When she whimpered beneath him, he was lost.

His large frame pressed her into the counter, and one hand slipped to the back of her neck to hold her tightly as his other skimmed down her side to grip her backside in his hold.

Pulling her up against him, he rubbed his hips into hers aggressively. When she moaned into his mouth, a soft grunt escaped him, and he did it again. Her fingers dug into the skin of his chest in reaction to the raw need that filled her.

When his fingers clamped roughly around her thigh, and lifted it to press against his waist, she eagerly latched onto his side with it while he continued to rub against her. Then her arms were around his neck while their bodies and mouths strained against one another's.

"Mommy, there was a birdie outside my window. He sang to wake me up."

Riley released Leah immediately, and turned apprehensively to look at his four year old niece. Both of their breathing was heavy as they stared at the unexpected interruption.

Stepping forward, Leah closed the front of her robe, and tied the belt as she approached her daughter. Her voice wavered slightly as she looked down at her. "A birdie came to visit you?"

Abbie nodded her dark head. "He was singing to me," she told her mother.

"That sounds pretty amazing," Leah said with indulgent enthusiasm. "Why don't you show me where you saw him?"

Leading her from the kitchen, Leah glanced back at Riley with a stricken expression. Her eyes were apprehensive before she disappeared from his sight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Riley had just returned from hockey practice when he dropped all of his gear near the front door, and took the stairs two at a time. He needed a hot shower, and he was eager to get his damp clothes off of his body.

He had just walked the length of the hallway, and was about to enter his bedroom when a soft voice called his name. Turning back, he peered into his brother Mark's room, and spotted Leah laying on his bed.

"Come here for a minute. I want you to feel something."

Hesitating for a moment, he gazed down the empty hallway before turning back to her. When he finally entered the room, and approached the bed where she rested, his palms slid down his sides nervously. When he stood a foot away, he paused, and gazed down at her curiously.

Leah smiled. "Closer. You can't feel it from there," she told him.

Riley scratched the side of his head, and looked at her sheepishly. "I'm kind of grungy from practice. I should probably shower first," he informed her.

Leah scrunched her nose before waving his excuse aside. "That will take way too long, and she might stop by then. Just come here."

Reluctantly, Riley obeyed by approaching the bed, and sitting on the edge. When she reached for his hand, and placed it on top of her swollen stomach, his grey eyes widened.

Resting her hands on top of his they waited in silence, and then he felt it. A tiny bump pressed upward into his palm making his mouth part in surprise.

"She's kicking," Leah said with a grin.

"That feels so weird," Riley said with a smile. "Will she do it again?" he wondered.

In response, the bump pushed upward again making a laugh escape him. "She's a tough little thing," he said in amazement. "That's a pretty good kick."

Leah smiled happily, and then moved his palm until it pressed to her side. After a moment he felt a larger bump press outward. His eyes widened again as his gaze lifted to hers.

"What was that?" he asked in confusion.

"I think it was her head," Leah said with a laugh. "She's been rolling around in there all day."

"Maybe she's dancing to celebrate the fact that the team is going to state this year," he said with a smirk.

"That could be," she said with another laugh. "How was practice?"

Riley's expression grew pained as he pursed his lips. "Brutal. One of our defensive players took me down hard. I was almost positive he had dislocated my shoulder until I got back up, and moved it around a little."

Leah winced as she looked at him. "That sounds really painful."

"It was," he admitted with a chuckle. "Still hurts like a son of a bitch."

"Would it help if I rubbed it?" Leah asked. "It will probably heal faster, and it's the least I can do after how great you've been with all of this."

Riley paused for a moment as he looked at her. His brow furrowed, and then he nodded. "Sure. That sounds kind of great actually. Do you mind if I take a shower first?"

Leah smiled. "Sure. Mark is working tonight so, I'm not going anywhere."

Pulling his hand from her, he lifted his large frame from the bed, and walked towards the door. When he reached it, he turned back to her tentatively. "I'll just be a few minutes."

Nodding, Leah waved him off before he slipped out the door.

After his shower, Riley ran a hand through his damp hair as he contemplated whether or not to put on a shirt. Knowing that she would more than likely ask him to take it off, he decided to forgo it altogether, and stepped from his bedroom to walk down the hall.

When he reached his brother's bedroom door, he took a deep breath, and stepped forward to gaze into the room.

She was still lying in the middle of the bed. Her head was turned, and she was gazing out the window. Her fingers were absentmindedly roaming over the large mound of her stomach, but she turned to look at him the moment she sensed his arrival. When he hesitated at the threshold, she beckoned him forward with her hand.

Pulling herself to a sitting position, Leah dropped one of her feet to the floor, and urged him to sit in the open spot that was available between her legs.

When he carefully sat his weight down on the edge of the bed again, and turned to look at her, Leah smiled at him reassuringly.

"Where does it hurt?"she asked him.

Lifting his palm to grip onto the top of his shoulder, his eyes darted to hers. "In this whole general area," he told her.