The Triplets Pt. 07

Story Info
Aiden finds himself alone.
4.8k words
4.73
7.1k
13

Part 7 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 04/18/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Thanks once again to Tigersman for editing. Also thank you for everyone who favorites and comments on the story. Enjoy reading.

*****

(Aiden)

Aiden held his father's disapproving gaze. He was lucky that his mother had embraced the surprise betrothal so quickly. His father had been less enthusiastic. It didn't help that Aiden had no knowledge of Meredith's bloodline.

His father sighed and was the first to look away.

"Do your brothers know?"

"Not yet, but I think they won't be as surprised by the news."

Aiden glanced over to where the women were talking, or rather his mother was talking and Meredith was nodding. He smiled at the flustered expression on Meredith's face. His father sighed again and shook his head.

"You are impulsive as ever."

"You expected any less?"

His father didn't answer, instead he turned away from Aiden and went to stand behind his wife. Aiden went to the door and asked the servant standing just outside to bring his brothers here. Aiden left the door open and went to sit on the sofa next to Meredith. She glanced at him as he approached. He smiled at her, trying to convey that things were going well.

As they all listened to his mother go on about wedding plans, his brothers arrived. Aiden stood and went over to them.

"I hear we are in for a surprise," Kaleb said, casting his gaze past Aiden to where the women were seated.

"You heard right. I'm engaged."

Both brothers stared at him, wide-eyed in shock. Aiden laughed and slapped Kaleb on the back.

"Didn't think the day would come, did you?" Aiden chuckled.

"Can't say I was making any bets, but you've known the girl for what? Days? Weeks?" Kaleb asked incredulously.

"A few weeks," Aiden said. Though he was sure it had been little more than two weeks since he had first learned Meredith's name.

Grey looked over his shoulder at the women before speaking.

"Mother seems to like her."

"I think she's just happy there will be another female in the family," Kaleb said.

All three of them nodded simultaneously.

"So what is your betrothed's name?" Kaleb asked.

"Meredith, and before you ask, I don't know her bloodline."

"She's a silver, at least on her mother's side," Grey said.

"I didn't know you kept up with lineages, Grey," Kaleb said.

"When Aiden started showing interest, I thought it would be prudent to know," Grey said.

Aiden raked a hand through his hair.

"Well, not that it matters, but I'm glad one of us knows. At least father will get some questions answered."

His brothers nodded in understanding.

"Anything else I should know?" Aiden asked.

"Her mother eloped with a green. A few years after she was born both parents passed away and she was left to her mother's cousin," Grey recited.

"Ah, I've met her. Pleasant woman," Aiden remarked sarcastically.

"She is also in line for a hefty inheritance from her mother's side. Once she is no longer under her guardian's care," Grey continued.

"And how would you know that?" Kaleb asked.

"Things you hear at a Red's party around intoxicated women," Grey said, gesturing to his ears.

"Amazing things women are privy to," Aiden said.

"Well, you should at least say hello to Meredith, since you've both been introduced before."

His brothers nodded and made their way to Meredith and their parents. Aiden was surprised by how warmly his brothers greeted Meredith. He'd expected them to be polite, but the both of them were treating her as if she were already family.

A bit jealously, Aiden watched as Meredith smiled at his brothers, completely at ease. He felt an absurd need to monopolize her smile. Aiden had never been a jealous man, though he had to admit never having to be. No woman had been worth getting possessive over.

Rejoining his family, Aiden realized all the seats closest to Meredith were occupied. Even his father was engaged in the conversation. Taking a seat opposite to his family, he realized how well Meredith fit into the family. While his mother and brothers all had blonde hair, his father used to be the only dark headed member of the family.

"Aiden, what do you think?"

Not having followed any of the conversation, Aiden fell back to an ambiguous answer.

"Whatever you think is best."

His mother smiled approvingly, but he saw that his brothers knew he hadn't been paying attention. Meredith looked at him disapprovingly as well. He'd have to remember that she wasn't easily fooled.

"Well, since Aiden seems to agree, we will have a large ceremony and invite all the prominent families."

Aiden wanted to smack himself. That must have been the reason behind his brother's knowing looks. He sighed, there was nothing to be done now. He could see that his mother was practically brimming with anticipation. Fortunately for him, it wasn't likely that she would be asking for much involvement from him. If he was lucky, all he would have to do was show up.

"I'm sure you're tired, Meredith. How about we all have a late lunch," Celia said.

All the men had similar expressions of relief. All six of them filed out of the room and made their way downstairs to the dining hall. His brothers flanked Meredith. Aiden was forced to trail behind. It was only slightly amusing that they were paying so much attention to Meredith. He was beginning to suspect that the two of them were planning something, but only had the feeling to go on.

Once they entered the dining hall, Kaleb pulled out Meredith's chair for her. Kaleb and Grey took the seats beside of her while his parents took up their customary seats. Aiden sat next to his mother, across from Meredith.

One of the servants approached the table and poured them all glasses of water as she described the lunch courses. Aiden could hardly focus on anything besides his brothers whispering to Meredith. He took a large swallow from his glass to hide his irritation. From across the table, all three of them simultaneously glanced at him before smiling secretively.

Before he could reach across the table and smack his brothers for deliberately goading him, the food arrived. Aiden chewed his food without really tasting it. His brothers were taking turns cutting and serving Meredith as if she wasn't physically able to do it herself. Aiden contributed little to the overall dinner conversation, distracting himself with ways to get back at his brothers.

(Meredith)

It was incredible how easy it was to agitate Aiden. When she had agreed to tease him with his brothers she had thought there would be more to it than just the two of them being overly attentive. Once lunch was over, Grey offered to show her around the house and grounds. Aiden immediately intervened.

"I can show Meredith around, no need to trouble yourself," Aiden said.

Meredith saw Kaleb wink at her. She smiled, realizing the joke was still playing out and decided to go along with it.

"Actually, I'd like to get to know your brothers a bit better."

She wasn't sure the brothers had heard her as Aiden was quickly dragging her out of the dining room. His brothers laughed as they left the room. Meredith had to cover her mouth to stifle her laughter. He pulled her down a hallway into a different room, shutting the door loudly behind him.

Without a word, he pushed her against the wall and dropped his mouth roughly over hers. It was all she could do not to laugh in his face, though his anger would have frightened her if she didn't think it was so funny. He eventually removed his mouth when she couldn't hold back her giggling. She heard him sigh before he started grinning as well.

Meredith fell into a fit of laughter then, with Aiden's arms still braced on either side of her head. Aiden laughed as well, dropping his forehead to his arm. After a long moment, Aiden turned his head, his eyes shadowed in the crook of his arm as he looked at her.

"I guess I'll have to get use to that," he sighed. "But for now . . . I think I'll take a little revenge."

As he spoke, he lifted his head and brought it slowly closer to hers. His gaze slipped down to her mouth. Meredith couldn't look away from the heat in Aiden's eyes as gold began to bleed into the blue. He brushed his mouth against hers, light and slow. Tendrils of heat unfurled within her body accompanied by an intense sense of longing. Suddenly, the door opened to her right.

Meredith would have let out a startled squeak if Aiden hadn't placed his fingers on her lips and motioned for silence. Somehow they were just barely hidden behind the door. Meredith couldn't hear anything besides the beating of her heart. She held her breath, afraid that she would be heard. There was the distinct clink of china from the other side of the door. It sounded as if plates were being carefully placed against each other from the deliberate and slow repetition of the clink.

It was only a moment before the clinking stopped and the door was closed once more. As the two of them waited in silence, she could just make out the muffled sound of retreating footsteps. Meredith sucked in a much needed breath. Aiden gave her a mischievous wink before pressing a chaste kiss to her lips. He moved away and raked a hand through his unruly hair. She recognized the frustration behind the move and felt an answering chord within her. Her amusement had faded, replaced with a bit of guilt for teasing Aiden.

With Aiden's body not taking up her entire view she could see that they were in a storage room, specifically for the porcelain tableware. There was an impressive amount of shelving along the walls, all neatly housing different ceramic service ware.

"I use to hide here as a child whenever my brothers and I skipped our lessons. No one really thought I would risk hiding in a place filled with nothing but breakables. Kaleb use to hide in the linen closet, but we could never find out where Grey went," he said breaking the silence.

Meredith chuckled and imagined Aiden as a young boy either brave or foolhardy enough to hide in the china closet.

"It's one of my secrets. You have to swear not to tell my mother."

She clamped her lips shut and twisted her fingers around an imaginary key at the corner of her mouth. Aiden rolled his eyes towards the ceiling, but grinned at her.

"I'll hold you to your 'unspoken' word."

Meredith smiled answering his grin. Pushing away from the wall, she opened the door and peeked out into the hall. It was empty. Meredith was startled when she felt a gust of warm air against her ear. She shivered at the sensation. Turning her head slightly, she met Aiden's amused expression.

"Shall we?" he said.

Meredith gave him a mock glare and proceeded out the room. She heard him chuckle before following behind her.

"I suppose I'll just have to postpone my revenge then."

A shiver of anticipation ran up her spine at his whispered words. She did her best to ignore him as they walked quietly down the hall, but her body seemed to gravitate to his almost with its own will. It was strange to consider she was walking next to her future husband. Strange as well to believe that they had only met a few weeks earlier. Everything was going so fast Meredith wasn't sure if she was thinking clearly about the future and making the right decisions. Though it seemed a bit too late now.

Abruptly he caught her hand in his, twining his fingers with hers. His warmth seemed to spread up her arm. It unnerved her how often he touched her so casually. How free he was in expressing affection, but she didn't draw away. Instead, she squeezed his hand and hid a pleased smile. A soft ache made her chest tighten. Meredith turned her face away, suddenly embarrassed by the strange rush of emotion.

"There you two are! I've been looking all over this house for you. It's selfish to keep Meredith to yourself, Aiden."

Meredith turned towards Aiden's mother who was rapidly approaching. Aiden looked as if he were suppressing a frown, but he smiled as Celia came to stand in front of them.

"Is it wrong for me to want to spend time with my fiancé, mother?"

"Yes, it is. You will have plenty of time after the wedding. For now she is mine. Come dearling, we have got so much to discuss."

Meredith bit her lips closed to keep from giggling at Aiden's feigned expression of suffering. Celia shook her head and sighed before she firmly grasped her arm and led her away. Meredith was surprised by the strength in her grip. She had little choice but to follow Celia or be dragged along behind her. Meredith glanced back and saw that Aiden was watching them leave, a chagrin smile playing across his lips.

(Aiden)

It had been almost a week since he had been able to say more than hello to Meredith. His mother was keeping her so damn busy with wedding plans that he had barely seen her. If she wasn't out shopping with his mother, she was out socializing with potential wedding guests. Unsurprisingly, his brothers thought it was hilarious and taunted him unsympathetically.

Aiden felt so tightly coiled with frustration he was likely to snap soon. He had thought a few days on a ship would quickly solve the churning he felt in his chest. However, he found himself staring at the coastline. He hadn't sailed out far, hugging the coastline, reluctant to venture too far into the open sea.

He doubted Meredith would even realize he was out sailing, let alone he hadn't been home since yesterday. He'd spent the night anchored to a small reef, sleeping beneath the clear sky. Though he hadn't spent a restful night on the sea either. The usual gentle rocking of the waves hadn't been as soothing as he had hoped. Instead, he had spent most of the night dreaming of soft hands and softer lips running along his body.

Before he had even set foot on the docks he had contemplated visiting a bar or brothel to distract him, but both hadn't appealed to him. It was unsettling to realize he actually found the idea of touching another woman besides Meredith a bit repulsive. He had to laugh at himself for that thought. Having been shameless with his past relationships with women, it seemed ironic that he would find it distasteful now to indulge in that behavior.

Abruptly, Aiden decided to sail back to the docks. It didn't seem like he would be getting his usual peace from the sea.

The docks were relatively quiet, as Aiden tied off his boat. He waved to a few sailors he recognized. They beckoned him to join their game of dice. Aiden went over, slapping his hand roughly on one of the sailor's shoulder and nodding to the rest. The stout man's name was Bennett, but most people called him Benny. What Benny lacked in height he made up with muscle, but his penchant towards ale left his belly soft. His hair was even lighter than Aiden's, having been bleached almost bone white in the sun and stood in stark contrast to his bronzed skin which was already showing signs of being too weather beaten, but he had sharp dark eyes and a good natured manner that gained him many friends quickly.

"Thought you might've fell into the sea since we've not seen your face in a while," Benny said.

Aiden shrugged and pretended to pay attention to the dice roll.

"I've been busy catching up with family," he replied.

Benny snorted and placed several coins down for the next roll. Aiden felt the corner of his lips hike upwards.

"What's there to catch up on? Lizard bloods do the same thing and have done the same thing for as long as people have lived in Ardis."

"True. . ." Aiden chuckled. He'd found out that lizard blood was a favorite pet name for anyone of dragon blood, at least among sailors.

"So what've you really been up to? You and your brothers getting into trouble again?"

"Unfortunately not. We have actually been on our best behavior."

"Shame, would've liked to have met them. Especially if they are as bad at gambling as you are."

"I'll remember that next time. I'm sure they'll be happy to prove you wrong."

Benny laughed cheerfully. "Lizard bloods don't have a sense for gambling. A few coins here and there isn't anything to them."

Aiden couldn't really argue since he was pretty unlucky when it came to gambling. Though Benny never took advantage of the fact, never taking too much away at one time. Aiden didn't begrudge him the money. He'd rather have it go to Benny's nieces and nephew anyway. When he was on solid ground, Benny lived with his widowed sister and her four children. Aiden knew Benny gave most of his earning to his sister, never having married himself. Though he and Aiden had gone to the same bar often enough for him to know that Benny wasn't without female company for long.

"How is Mora and the family?"

"She's working for a baker now, but she says she likes it better than the inn. Lisa is married now and living with her husband. Her sisters are close behind. The other two girls are getting glassy eyed with puppy love."

Benny sighed and shook his head. Aiden grinned at his woeful expression.

"I've signed up to man a new ship going to the southern continent in a few weeks. They're short-handed and need a few more men before setting sail. Interested in joining?" Benny asked.

"My sailing days have officially come to an end. I'm to be married soon."

Aiden smiled wider at Benny's dumbstruck expression.

"You. Getting married." Benny eyed him suspiciously. "I don't believe what I'm hearing."

"Believe it or not, but I'll be land locked for life. Consigned to a live as a land lizard instead of a sea one."

"This is why true men of the sea never marry anyone aside from the sea herself," Benny grumbled.

"As much as I enjoy the sea, I don't think I'll regret leaving her too much," Aiden said quietly.

Benny nodded his head, but had a doubtful expression on his face.

"I'd like to meet the lady. She's probably too good for a lizard blood like you," Benny chuckled.

"No doubt," Aiden muttered. "She said no the first time I asked her."

"YOU asked her?" Benny paused then burst into loud chortles. "And she said no!"

Aiden grimaced, his pride still a bit sore on that point. Benny let out a breath as his laughter subsided.

"Do you've time to drop by and visit. I'm sure Mora has some advice she could give you for your new bride."

Aiden sighed, but accepted Benny's invitation. After another few rounds of dice with heavy pockets, Benny led him out of the docks. While Benny's family didn't live in the poorest part of town, they were very close to the main market street. As soon as they opened the door to the small home, Benny's nephew barreled into them. Benny laughed and caught the young boy before throwing him up and over his shoulder. If he remembered right, the boy's name was Marcel.

"Dani, Jenna, I've brought a guest," Benny hollered above Marcel's laughing.

The two of them wrestled as the sisters walked into the room. Aiden was surprised by how much they both had grown since he'd last seen them. Benny held Marcel down with one large hand. Aiden found it amusing that the boy couldn't reach farther than Benny's bicep.

"Girls, this is Aiden. You met him when you were younger a few years back."

Both girls bowed their heads low. He assumed that they were old enough now to know who he really was, from how low they bent their heads. Aiden bowed low as well, sweeping his hand out formally. His lips twitched when they smiled and flushed excitedly.

"Good to see you again, ladies."

Benny made a exasperated noise as he released the squirming Marcel.

"Don't encourage them. It's enough that they're both mooning over Lisa's husband. Where's your mother girls?"

"She's in the kitchen."

"Well go tell her to come meet our guest."

Aiden watched as the two girls hesitated leaving. Benny made another exasperated noise and started pushing both of them out the door. They complained every step of the way. Marcel came to stand next to him and grinned. He looked a lot like Benny, but with lighter eyes that had no doubt come from his father's side.

12