The Turning Point

Story Info
Can a boss become more? Or is it time to transfer...
1.9k words
4.39
15.5k
5
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I need to see you in my office. Can you come down as soon as possible please?" he asked her over the interoffice intercom. He put down the phone without waiting for her response, knowing she'd come when her supervisor called.

So began the conversation she dreaded all day. She put the transfer request in his mailbox at lunch and hoped that he'd understand, sign it, and send her on her way without this confrontation. She'd hoped. But hope had just been denied, perhaps right along with her transfer. That remained to be seen.

To say that things were tense lately would not adequately describe what was happening between them. After she'd spent two long months using every opportunity she had to tell him exactly how she felt about him as a leader, as a friend, and honestly, as a man, he spent the following two months keeping her at arm's length, leaving her out of important team decisions, and generally killing her with his lack of feeling and sensitivity. Gone were the long, lingering hugs and kind words they'd enjoyed in the previous two months. They'd been replaced with long stretches of silence and intense periods of ignoring her presence. He'd had a glimpse of her heart, and if he didn't know by now how she felt about him, he likely never would. She couldn't have made it much more plain and simple than she already had. He didn't want it, she figured, based on his response to her offering him her heart.

As she walked down the hall to his office, she steeled herself for whatever was about to come. Perhaps he'd be relieved. He seemed to want this based on his recent interaction with her. Maybe this was just him thanking her for being the one to take the initiative to make this change. Maybe hope wasn't letting her down after all.

"You wanted to see me?" she said upon her arrival in his doorway, noticing how quiet the office was. It got that way after 5:00, she figured.

"I do. Come in and sit down, please," he requested of her in a neutral tone, giving away nothing of what this conversation would entail.

"Sure," she replied and made her way to the table and chairs in his office. After closing the door behind her, he joined her there.

*****

As he looked at her, his heart squeezed in his chest. She wanted to leave him. After saying she never would, she was attempting to do that very thing with the transfer form she'd casually laid in his mailbox for his signature. She had been distant lately, but this was so unlike her. She usually met things head on, even uncomfortable situations like this one. Putting transfer forms in his mailbox without talking to him about it, like it was not a huge move for them both, was not her style. Not at all.

He counted on seeing her every day, basking in the joy she brought to his existence. He depended on her being there to cheer him on, comfort him when things fell apart, as they sometimes did, and generally make his life wonderful just by her presence. And now she wanted to go. How on earth could he let her? But really, how could he stop her if this is what she wanted? He sure wouldn't let her go easily, though. If she wanted this, she was going to have to face him and tell him why. That much he had a right to know, he figured.

"So," he began, "you want to transfer out of here."

"No, it's not what I want," she replied honestly. "It's what I have to do."

"Nobody's forcing you to make this request. You don't 'have to' do this. You want this. And I want to know why before I sign these forms for you," he returned, trying to keep the hurt out of his voice as much as he possibly could, given the fact that she was trampling on his heart.

"You're right. No one is forcing me to transfer. But I have to just the same. I won't survive if I stay," she told him, avoiding eye contact with her best friend, the man who stole her heart but didn't want to possess it.

"Not too long ago, you used to think working with me was one of the best things in your life. Or so you said. Now you think you won't survive it? What changed so much in the past two months?" he asked, deliberately trying to make his voice sound normal despite the intense pain her words brought him.

"So much has changed. It's not you. It's much more me. I've changed. And I can't stay here with you day in and day out like this anymore. It's too hard."

"Being my friend and my colleague is truly that hard for you? I thought you admired the leadership I brought to this job. I thought you respected the character I have and the principles I live by. Were all those beautiful words just that -- words and nothing more?" he asked, letting his guard slip and his hurt show in his voice and on his face.

"No. They were heartfelt. I meant them all. I still do. Which is why I'm asking you to let me transfer. Please," she begged him. She couldn't stand to see the hurt and confusion on his face, but neither could she allow herself to stay here wanting things from him that she'd never have, hurting so deeply at being dismissed from his life so easily when he was the center of her existence.

"That makes no sense. You admire me, but you're leaving. Explain that to me. Tell me why you want this. Tell me how you can respect me on the one hand but won't survive if you keep working with me on the other," he replied.

"I can't," she said.

"I won't sign these transfer requests until you do," he replied.

"You have to," she pleaded.

"No, I don't. And I won't until I know. Tell me. Why do you want this?"

"Don't make me do this. Please," she begged, tears slipping out of the corners of her eyes.

"I have to," he whispered. "I can't let you leave me without knowing."

"Please," she whispered back. "Don't make me tell you this. Just let me go."

"Why? Why do you have to do this?" he insisted, his voice clouded with emotion as much as hers was.

"Because I'm in love with you, OK? I LOVE YOU!" she finally admitted, her voice louder than she'd intended.

He did the first thing that came to mind when he heard those incredible words from her. He leaned across the table, put his hands on either side of her face, brought her closer to him, and kissed her.

To say that it took her by surprise would be a huge understatement. It surprised him, too. The intensity of the emotion they'd just shared overwhelmed his inhibitions and his common sense. But he could no more stop himself in that moment than he could ask the world to stop spinning on its axis. The desire he had for her was just as much a force of nature as that, and likewise could not be held back even if he had wanted to, which he didn't.

When the kiss ended, he looked directly at her and saw the impact it had on her. She was speechless. Her eyes wide with confusion and desire, her lips parted slightly, her breathing quick and shallow. In other words, she looked just like he did, he was sure. After a few seconds, he found his voice.

"That's what I needed to know," he said, and then stood, pulling her out of her chair and into his arms. He kissed her again, more slowly and romantically this time. This kiss left nothing unsaid. With it, he told her why he had no intention of letting her go, how much he wanted and needed her in his life. This may very well be the only chance he had to do this, and he was not going to waste it.

*****

She never imagined it would happen this way. He was supposed to just sign the stupid papers and let her go. That was what she needed. No. That wasn't honest, and she was honest to a fault. What she needed was him. She had for a very long time. But he didn't need her, or so she thought. This kiss was certainly telling her something different. Something wonderful.

Her arms were wrapped around his neck and she was holding on for dear life as he took them on this ride. She allowed him to set the pace and intensity of this kiss while she followed his lead. If this was the only chance she had to experience this kind of passion with him, she didn't want to miss a thing.

Eventually, he slowed the kiss and then gently ended it, resting his forehead against hers and drawing in some much needed air as they both tried to recover from what they'd just shared. She found her voice first.

"OK, now I'm the one who needs an explanation. For the past two months, you have deliberately kept yourself away from me, excluded me from anything that involved us working together, and purposely ignored me when I tried to get your attention. Now you're kissing me like we do this all the time. You tell me why that just happened," she quietly demanded of him.

"That's an easy explanation to give you. I happen to love you, too," he calmly stated, completely rocking her world with that straightforward answer.

"What?" she asked. "Could you repeat that please? I'm sure I didn't hear you correctly."

"You heard exactly what I said, but I will gladly repeat it for you. I love you. I am every bit as much in love with you as you are with me," he reassured her.

She couldn't keep the smile from her face or the tears from her eyes. Neither could he. Nor could he hold himself back from kissing her again. He lowered his lips to hers, intending it to be an easy, gentle kiss. But she had different ideas.

As soon as his lips touched hers again, something went wild inside her. This was a turning point for them. The past two months of indifference from him faded away like they'd never happened, and she allowed herself the freedom to show him what she really felt about him, what she truly wanted from him. Wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him as close as she possibly could, she let him know in no uncertain terms how much she loved and needed him.

Message received, he thought in amazement as he truly grasped for the first time what she was telling him with this kiss. She loved him. That was clear. But so was the desire, the confusion, the hurt, all of it. Now, what would they do about it, he wondered? And then he gave up thinking all together and matched her kiss for kiss. Those answers would come later, he was sure. But kissing her was too incredible to waste time thinking -- it was meant to be enjoyed. And he did.