The Twelve Tables Ch. 25

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I know I am asking a lot, and I will tell you my secrets and answer any questions you like if you trust me for just a few minutes. I will tell you every single thing that happened to me in my time with the Battaglia if you can trust me right now." Peri took hold of Carmen's hands and looked into her eyes. Carmen nodded slowly.

"Stay right here and listen to every word I say, assume nothing. Understand?" Peri commanded knowing now that the woman had submissive tendencies if only to her husband. Again Carmen gave her a slow nod.

Peri knew the game was practically over, and Dante was tuned into their conversation more than the television when she stood and walked slowly toward him as he lay on the bed. She swayed her hips knowing he was aware of her.

"Dante, I know you're beloved Milan is playing but can I ask you a quick question?" She purred.

"Anything for you, my love," he answered beyond happy that she had included him in her admission of submission.

"If you knew that there was a family member with a degree in international relations. Poli-sci- and economics, as well as speaking three languages what would you do?" Peri asked.

"Hire them on the spot sight unseen," he said without batting an eyelid.

"Josh is trying to take his publishing house international what do you think he would say?" Peri asked.

"You wouldn't" Dante grumbled. When he saw her nod and start toward the door, he turned to Carmen. "You have all that?"

"And more," Peri grinned.

"As soon as you get back you're hired. I'll break the news to Romey," Dante said to Carmen in a loud voice.

"I would counsel you to wait and see what Josh offers, but it's up to you," Peri grinned and bent to kiss Dante. "Have I told you how much I love you today?" she murmured.

"I never tire of hearing it. You never cease to amaze me," he wrapped his arms around her kissing her passionately. "I don't want her in our playroom," he murmured, and she nodded in understanding.

"Let me go, you big oaf," she laughed and swatted his shoulder. "Don't make me red card you."

"Oh was I holding you?" he relaxed his arms and lifted them up as if denying the fact.

"Yes I think you were," she grinned as she rose to her feet. Then she walked back to where Carmen sat. "The fact is, I know that if either one of them knew of your talents, you would be using that keen mind of yours." She paused before she spoke again. "Romey may well know how gifted you are, but it doesn't help the family if he doesn't share you."

"You may have overstated my degrees there," Carmen giggled.

"Who fuckin cares, if even half of that is true, I'm having words with Romey!" Dante called out from his place on the bed.

"You're amazing, you're wanted and you, Carmen Donati are a big asset to this family," Peri said with certainty. She was pleased to see Carmen blush and become girlish.

"Carmen, I am wounded here, you can't go with Josh. I'll square it with Romey," Dante called out again making both of the women grin.

"My turn to trust you I guess," Peri said quietly and preceded to talk to Carmen not only about her time with the Battaglia but the time preceding it. She started from the Christmas at the farm, her encounter with Joseph, but not what she did to prove herself to him, only that it involved her submission to the family tradition and law. She explained that her love for Josh that propelled her forward.

Dante had listened in noting that Peri had mentioned how Joseph had tested her commitment to Josh and the family with her submission. Whereas with Cherise, it was a prenup. He wondered at his father's intuition, the information gateway that was Vincenzo and Andreas's role as Oracle in the absence of Christo. He thought of Cherise for the first time in ages and felt a twinge of pain for the tiny life lost. He knew within his inner being that the next child Peri had would be his and heal those wounds from so long ago. The date that she should be fertile again was etched into his brain, and he planned to be there often enough to make it beyond doubt that the next child would be his.

Carmen didn't interrupt but rather savoured every word. When Peri had finally finished talking Carmen sat silently for a few minutes taking it all in and remembering the photo that she had seen on Romey's phone of her battered and bruised face.

"I know it might be hard for you, but can you tell me about all of the things Nik did," Carmen asked tentatively.

Peri found herself glad to be able to divulge how scared she was of Nik through all of their encounters and what had happened before Nik tried to kill her. She watched as Carmen paled and felt a strange sense of satisfaction that the truth could sometimes give.

"So just because she was his twin you trusted her?" Carmen asked after the full story.

"I know it's hard for you to understand, but I have only known the Donati's, not your family or any of the others. I saw the love of family first hand. I knew Josh loved her and that alone made me think she would never hurt me." Peri admitted. "I was wrong. I am more cautious now, but I won't stop trusting anyone in the family because of Nik," Peri asserted.

"My turn to wow," Carmen let out a long breath. "Do you think I will get the same treatment?"

"If Romey has anything to do with it I imagine so," Peri smiled. "You are a Donati after all."

"I am, aren't I? And all this time I have been acting like a Martino Princess," she gave Peri a sad smile.

"My advice, even though you never asked for it directly, is, go and find your husband and give him a reason to remember why he married you and how much he will miss you." Peri smiled. "Everything else will look after itself."

"You know I think I will. Are you sure it's okay for the kids to stay here?" She asked one last time.

"I will even kiss them goodbye as they leave for school each day," Peri smiled.

"Thank you, for this. For being honest with me," Carmen stood and walked past the bed on which Dante lay watching football. "You don't fool me; I know you were listening" she smiled taking his hand. "Would you really let me work in the House?"

"Let you?" Dante questioned. "I'm afraid I'd have to insist. Romey had been keeping you to himself for far too long." Carmen blushed and leant down to kiss his cheek.

"When I get back you and I will be negotiating that deal." She whispered.

"I look forward to it," Dante chuckled. "Just don't talk to Josh, I couldn't outbid him even if I wanted to." He continued to chuckle softly.

"I forgot about that," she feigned interest and walked through the door.

"Where do you think you're going?" Dante asked Peri as she started to follow Carmen through the doorway.

"I was going to go and check on our little ones, I feel the need of a cuddle," Peri said sitting on the edge of the bed. "Thank you for helping me," she whispered.

"Helping you?" Dante said with confusion. "Trust me I will have words with Romey hiding that little star."

"Thank you," she grinned. "I think Romey needs to hear that as much as she does. I imagine he thought the watchers would know how very qualified she was to be the Mother." She smiled. "I'm feeling very inadequate right now."

"Are you kidding me?" Dante grasped her just below the shoulders squeezing her biceps. "You just made a lifelong friend of someone who believed you to be nothing more than a pleb that she could kowtow into doing her bidding." Peri blushed but said nothing instead letting him pull her into a strong embrace and passionate kiss. "You are the Mother, the queen, my princess," he murmured while kissing her.

"My hero," she teased knowing how much he hated the way his family viewed him now.

"I'm no one's hero," he groaned running a hand up her leg to cup her ass cheek.

"You're my hero," she countered with a smile.

"I'm not such an invalid that I can't spank you myself," he growled.

"I'm looking forward to it," she grinned and wrestled herself free of his arms. "For now, though, you need to rest my hero," she smiled and bent to kiss his forehead.

*****

Despite her best effort to avoid it, Peri had been cornered by Joseph in the vast penthouse. After making sure all the children including her own were cared for, she had walked toward the stairs to the upper apartment without thinking. She'd read one of her favourite childhood stories and was feeling buoyant; she hadn't realised Joseph was lying in wait at the stairwell.

"Sit," he commanded moving away from the stairwell and allowing her access. Waiting until she sat on the third step up, he smiled and continued. "You, my dear are an anomaly," he began.

"I think I know that by now," Peri sighed. "I didn't grow up in this or any of the twelve families, so I have had to adapt as I have learned along the way. Regardless, two of your sons love me, and two more of them trust me with their children, so whatever you are about to say be warned I will fight for my family," she bristled thinking he wanted to criticise her in some way for the mess that had occurred recently.

"Are you finished?" Joseph asked with a smirk.

"Yes," Peri answered quietly feeling small and insignificant in Joseph's presence.

"My sons love you," Joseph pronounced. "All of them not just the obvious." He paused as she took in this information. "It is the obvious ones that I need to speak to you about, however. Josh would never deny you and Dante your time together especially at this juncture, but I am here to caution you, Joshua is more fragile than he seems. He needs to know he is the leader not only of the table but his family."

Peri dropped her eyes guiltily. Josh had been so busy with the family business, and she had been so busy with the children and Dante that they had barely connected over the last week.

"May I suggest a date night," he smiled softly. "It's not a new idea and perhaps not something you had considered, given recent events, but your husband needs to know he still holds your heart, forever and always."

"Josh?" she questioned.

"Dante has always been more resilient despite appearances. Joshua needs you and the validation of who he is through you," Joseph said. "It is a fine line you tread. I know, I was on the receiving end of such an arrangement." He admitted. "Antonia, like you had not realised what marrying me meant for her, she fell for Christo and felt conflicted about it. I felt her conflict and not truly understanding at the time, the tension in our relationship led me to make several disastrous decisions."

Peri's face showed surprise. This was not the conversation she had expected from her father-in-law.

"I am beyond grateful that you have brought joy to Dante's life, but Joshua is your husband. He is a jealous and controlling man," his lips quirked in a half smile. "He needs to know he is first and foremost in your life. Date night," he repeated. "Choose something meaningful to you both but do it soon. His demeanour shows the strain of having to share everything he ever wanted with a man he loves above all others."

"I understand," Peri said slowly. "Do you think you could do without Josh and I for thirty-six hours? Say next weekend?"

"Forty-eight if need be, and we knew of your whereabouts, in case we need to contact you," Joseph answered. "What did you have in mind?"

"The chalet at Andreas and Marisol's winery. It was our first real," she paused and looked at the man opposite her. "It's where he confessed his needs and asked for my submission." She blurted knowing that he would appreciate her honesty. "It's where I learned about what it meant to be part of this family. If you can get him there, I can handle the rest."

" I can," Joseph nodded.

"I will need someone here, Antonia would be best to oversee all of the children, and their nannies," Peri said softly trying to work out the plan in her head. "I promised Carmen before she left, that I would care for them like my own," Peri said remembering the woman confiding in her.

"I will take Josh on a diplomatic mission on Thursday morning," Joseph said seeing where her mind was going and second guessing her. "You can have Thursday night with Dante anywhere of your choosing, and Antonia will be here to manage the household. I will deliver Joshua to the winery Friday evening, and you can spend the weekend together unfettered by responsibility." He paused, "Your children are but babies, they will survive a few days without your presence," he added reading her worried expression.

"Thank you," she said simply. "Josh is very much like you," she smiled.

"I know," Joseph replied with a soft smile. "Josh is destined to lead. But he can't do it without you or Dante." He got to his feet and turned to look at her. "I could never have become the man I am without Christo or the devotion of Antonia. I need to know you and Dante are devoted to Josh."

Peri realised that this was a difficult conversation for Joseph by the way he stood straddling several stairs and fidgeting. She decided not to push him and nodded. "Dante and I have both told him that we would stop, cut all intimate ties if that was what he wanted. It's a difficult time for each of us in our own way. The last thing I want is to come between them, and I had thought that scheduling some alone time, meaningful alone time, with each of them was in order."

"For Joshua's sake I think this weekend is good," Joseph said without emotion despite his joy at her words and her worry over being all she could be for both of his sons. He had talked to Antonia at length about the problems she encountered in the early days of their relationship with Christo and discovered what a struggle it was for her to make sure they both got what they needed from the relationship.

"You're a good girl, Peri. I would appreciate that you don't mention this conversation to the boys," Joseph said.

"I won't lie to them," Peri said carefully. "I will delay telling them the truth until you and Josh have left on Thursday," she compromised.

"Done," Joseph said both surprised and pleased by her response.

*****

"Mama, what are you doing here?" Dante asked struggling to keep the plaintive tone out of his voice. With Josh on a business trip, he had planned to spend some quality time alone with Peri.

"Well that's a fine welcome," Antonia laughed moving forward to kiss her son's cheek. "I am here so you and Peri can have some time alone, away from all of the children," she whispered and gave him a knowing smile.

"Thank you," Peri said coming from the bedroom wheeling two overnight bags. "I appreciate you staying with the children. That is if Dante wants a change of scenery and a night away from this place with me?" She looked at him expectantly. "I would hate to have brought your mother all the way here for nothing."

"Are you kidding me?" Dante grinned and began hobbling his way toward the elevators on his crutch, not wasting any time. "Thanks, Mama, love you," he said over his shoulder as he jabbed at the button that would lead them down to the carpark.

"Thanks, Mama," Peri laughed and followed Dante into the elevator. Dante bubbled with enthusiasm trying to guess where they were going as Peri drove out to the bay.

They boarded a sleek catamaran cruiser, and Peri handed their overnight bags to a steward who stowed them below decks in their room.

"When you are healed, you can plan our date nights but for now, it's up to me," Peri said pushing Dante into a deck chair and sliding onto his lap.

"Date nights?" he asked.

"What the three of us have is wonderful, beyond wonderful," Peri smiled. "I need to know you though without Josh, just as I need time with him without you. I always feel guilty that I can't give you both what you need individually. I need a date night, whether it is once a month or once a week I need it," she admitted.

"I love you," Dante said quietly. "I would love you no matter the time we spent alone or with Josh."

"Shall we launch, Ma'am?" one of the crew asked as Peri considered how she would respond to his words.

"Not yet I am expecting two more guests," she spoke with an authority that surprised Dante.

"You know I can't go anywhere without security," she blushed as she explained the holdup.

It was only a matter of minutes before Phillip and Gerrard entered nodding at her and sweeping the lower decks.

"All clear," Phillip said and moved onto the upper deck with Gerrard. The engines began to whirl below them, and Peri smiled as they pulled away from the dock.

"Would you like to explore?" Peri asked in a soft voice.

"Bedroom first please," Dante didn't hide his excitement or desire from her. Grinning Peri led the way to the bow of the lower deck and the master suite they would occupy for the night.

"Dante," she turned to face him in the doorway before they entered the room. "I love you more than I thought possible. So much it scares me sometimes." He looked at her not saying a word letting her say what she needed to say. "It scares me because I fell in love with Josh and he is my husband and..." her voice faded for a moment. "I can't help the way I feel about you now. I love you, and I want to know you like I know him."

"That will come," Dante said his eyes boring into hers. "Tonight you are mine with no interruptions, no sharing, just mine." He advanced on her tossing the crutch he used to the side. He wrapped his hand into the hair at the nape of her neck and bent her head back forcing her to look up at him. Peri whimpered, and he kissed her. "I never thought I would find a woman like you outside of the kept yet here you are," he murmured before kissing her again.

Peri's head spun as she felt him take control. She knew this was a very real side to him but even the afternoon they had spent together on the farm hadn't prepared her for the intensity of his eyes and his expression as he took hold of her.

"The men of this family are prepared to make sacrifices, to marry the good girl and keep a nasty girl in the closet. With you I get both," his hand ran up her side and over her breast. "You are one in a million," he took her hand and dragged her as he limped into the bedroom.

"I'm not so special," she tried to argue as he closed the door behind them.

"In here for the next twelve hours, you are mine. Kneel," he commanded. Peri sank to her knees tilting her head unsure of this side of Dante. "Like I said I don't have the benefit of a year with you. I am still in the lustful needy stage as Josh once was," he spoke as he undid his belt, button, and fly. "Understand that I need this, more than you could know, I need to do this." Peri quivered in dread as he advanced on her. "I need you."

"I love you," Peri said simply in the face of his need. This was a different man to the one she knew, and she wasn't sure how to deal with him. She remained on her knees as he slowly stripped off his pants exposing the large dressing on his leg. She knew that wearing long pants annoyed him as they rubbed on the dressing and she could see his instant relief as he removed them. He then pulled his shirt off over his head. Peri felt her need ignite and begin a slow burn as she gazed at the man before her.

"I don't suppose you packed any toys into those bags?" he eyed the two overnight cases that had been placed in the corner of the room. They seemed large for just one night. He took in the shy smile and the way her eyes lit up at his question and grinned. "Why don't you show me what you've brought for us." He stepped back and sat on the bed leaning in a relaxed manner watching her carefully.

Peri kept her eyes on his as she tried to unfurl from her kneel as gracefully as possible. She padded softly over to the bags and unzipped both. She took two boxes, one from each bag and carried them to the bed where Dante lounged.

"Two boxes of fun," he sat up and rubbed his hands together.