The Ugly Duckling

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Just then Alice entered the room, and Christopher was awestruck!

She was wearing brand new glasses, ones that suited the shape of her face, which somehow seemed different. And then when she smiled at him he realized the reason why, her braces were gone! These two changes, coupled with a new haircut, makeup, and the fact that with her skin was virtually blemish free, had totally transformed her appearance. As she came up to him, the skirt of the brand new dress she was wearing swayed magically as she walked, and he detected traces of perfume, which added to an air of sophistication ... and allure.

"You look wonderful," he managed to stammer; and indeed she did!

"We owe a lot to your parents," Alice's mother said, "I don't know how to ever thank them for what they've done."

"Me neither," Alice said in a very sincere fashion.

"It's OK," Christopher replied cheerfully, "my dad explained it to me ... my mom got to have a daughter for a few weeks ... and she had a blast."

"You're the first person outside of my family that gets to see the new me," Alice said happily, "and even better yet, Susan is s-o-o-o jealous."

Susan was Alice's younger sister.

"Alice!" her mother said sharply.

"Well she's been teasing me about my braces forever ... it serves her right."

"I managed to get them taken off today," Alice explained, "when you asked me to go to the prom I called them and got an early appointment ... even though I practically had to beg ... thank goodness they're gone ... finally!"

"Here drink this," her mother said, proffering a glass of wine, "but not too fast, or you'll end up talking about Christopher even more than normal."

The dinner was simple, but a complete success. Even Alice's sister got caught up in the aura of happiness that exuded from every part of Alice.

* * *

The following day at school was a revelation! He had barely got to his locker before first period when Catherine rushed up to him.

"Have you seen Alice? It's amazing!"

"She looks nice, doesn't she," he replied, trying to be casual, and more importantly not to burst out laughing.

"Nice ... she's beautiful ... who knew?"

"Wait till they see her at the prom," he smiled to himself.

"And she's got new clothes, and new glasses, and everything ... what happened?"

But Christopher refused to enlighten her, making an excuse about needing to get to class.

By the end of lunch Catherine was full of further news.

"Tony asked Alice to go to the prom with him ... but she said she already had a date ... I wonder who it is?"

"You should have asked her," Catherine continued, in a scolding tone, "instead of going alone."

"We're just friends," Christopher responded, enjoying himself enormously.

But there were a few thorns in his bed of roses, because when he went to pick Alice up to walk her home, he discovered several guys sitting at the table in the library with her, and trying to have a conversation.

"Where were these clowns when she was the class wallflower?" he thought to himself angrily, striding over to the table.

"Ready?" he asked, glaring at the two would-be lotharios.

Alice gave him a winning smile, and then got up and led him by the hand out of the library.

But the walk home was certainly fun, as Alice described in hilarious terms her reactions to the complete about-faces made by so many of the kids who had previously ignored or laughed at her.

* * *

Alice had to work on Saturday, but wanted to use the Internet on Sunday, so they set a time in the early afternoon.

"Guess what?" she said the moment he let her inside the house.

"No, what?" he answered.

"My mom has a chance at a new job ... with no shift work ... she's going to an interview next week. And it has benefits ... she could get help to pay for her drugs."

"Tell her good luck from me," Christopher said with complete sincerity.

Christopher then took Alice upstairs to his desk, after which he left to go watch football. But he found himself distracted. Even though it was the same Alice on the inside, the outside now said many other things ... things that had a lot to do with her being a member of the opposite sex!

Eventually Alice joined him, and, after placing her laptop on the coffee table, sat down right beside him on the couch.

"Are your parents here?" she asked.

"No they're out this afternoon."

"Oh."

They watched the TV together for a few more minutes, but Christopher sensed that something was different somehow.

"Can we have some music instead of football?" Alice finally asked.

"Sure, the game isn't very good anyway," he answered, getting up to put the stereo on.

They sat in silence, listening to the music. Something was definitely on Alice's mind, he was absolutely sure of that, because she wasn't usually so quiet when they were together.

"Christopher," a cautious voice said, "can I ask you for a favour?"

"Sure, why not," he replied.

"Well ... I ... well ..."

"Oh c'mon Alice, just ask me," he said in an encouraging way.

"I'm sorta not sure ..." she said, "because it might change things between us."

What was this?

"How so?" he asked; now thoroughly confused.

"OK ... here goes," Alice answered, and then she paused for what seemed to be forever, before continuing, "Christopher ... would you kiss me?"

Christopher was a little stunned, he had no idea that this was coming!

He must have looked pretty surprised, because Alice hurriedly gave him an explanation in a small pleading voice.

"I've never kissed a boy ... and I don't want to be the only girl at the prom who hasn't ... and you told me that you and your old girlfriend did a lot of kissing, so I figured you knew how."

"Alice," he finally said, regaining his composure, and trying desperately to think of the right thing to say, "I ... I would be thrilled to be the first boy you ever kiss."

"How do we start," Alice said, her blue eyes showing some excitement.

"You should probably take your glasses off ... we don't want to break them," Christopher suggested.

Alice placed her glasses carefully on the coffee table, and then snuggled up close to him.

"I'm ready," she announced with a small nervous giggle, tilting her head towards him.

Christopher leaned over and kissed her, at first a gentle brush against her lips, and then after he had done that, he opened his mouth, and was surprised to discover that Alice followed suit, and the chaste first kiss soon turned intimate. Alice might have been a beginner, but she was a very fast learner, wrapping her arms around his neck and drawing him to her. Christopher was soon overwhelmed by the electricity of their contact, as they kissed more and more deeply, until finally they stopped for air.

"That was wonderful," Alice whispered, panting a little, and slightly flushed.

Christopher was surprised by his own reaction to the kiss; Alice was a lot more desirable than he had ever imagined ... and the scent of her perfume, and the deep blue of her eyes were intoxicating ... stirring every male instinct he had ... so much so that he kissed her again ... and she kissed him back with even more enthusiasm, their tongues wrapped in a passionate dance.

Suddenly they heard a cough, and broke hurriedly apart.

"Anyone home," he heard his father's voice say as he closed the front door.

"In here," he answered, "Alice came over to use the Internet."

"Hi Alice," his dad said from the hallway in a friendly way, "I don't want to be rude, but I can't stop and talk, I need to get changed right away ... your mother and the others will be here any minute."

Alice returned his father's greeting, and then they heard him rapidly climbing the stairs.

"Why don't I walk you home," Christopher offered.

"OK," Alice said, putting her glasses back on, and giving him an inviting smile. No more kissing, at least for now, her eyes said. But it was also very obvious from that same look that more kissing would not be considered an unwelcome idea!

Once they were safely outside, they started walking towards Alice's house.

"Do you think your father saw us," she asked in a serious way.

"Probably ... that's why he coughed instead of coming right into the den ... he wanted to give us a chance to break it up."

"What will he think?" she said a little fearfully.

"He'll think he just caught his son kissing his new girlfriend," Christopher responded, "that's what he'll think."

"Girlfriend?" Alice asked shyly, with a note of surprise in her voice.

"I hope so," Christopher said earnestly, looking right into her eyes; they had stopped walking.

"Would you like to be my girlfriend?"

"Oh, yes," Alice said happily ... and then in a puzzled way, "what happens now?"

"I think we're supposed to kiss."

"You mean like Sandra Dee said in that movie: 'Right here in front of God and everybody'"

"I think so," Christopher said taking Alice in his arms.

They kissed again, and Christopher was now overwhelmed with her ... she was so soft, so warm ... he had to struggle to keep his hands chastely around her waist ... after all they were in the middle of a street!

When the kiss ended, Alice just looked into his eyes, with a soft glow that was almost like adoration behind her own.

"What would my mother think," she finally said in a low voice, gently scolding herself, "imagine, kissing a boy like that right out in public."

They started to walk again, hand in hand. There somehow didn't seem to be any need for words.

"Do your parents know that you're going to the prom with a wanton hussy?" Alice said, breaking the silence after they had gone along for a bit.

Christopher laughed at her joke.

"But I do think you need to kiss me quite a lot more ... I've lost a lot of valuable time," she added with a giggle.

And then, in a much more serious way, almost half to herself: "No wonder girls get carried away ... I had no idea you could feel like that."

"Like what?" he ventured, taking a chance.

"Never mind," she answered coyly, her eyes sparkling.

* * *

That night, after the guests had left, his father had quite a bit of fun at his expense.

"I may not see very well at my age Linda, but it looked an awful lot like Christopher and Alice were kissing in the den when I interrupted them this afternoon." his father said mischievously to his mother.

"Of course Christopher and Alice are only just friends," his father added with a chuckle, "or at least that's what he keeps telling us," he said, obviously enjoying himself, "that's why I put that nice couch in there, so Christopher could use it to entertain her ..."

"Dad," Christopher complained, although he knew it wasn't going to do any good.

"Leave him alone, Roy," his mother said, although she was also laughing, "Alice is a nice girl ... although didn't I warn you Christopher that she might want something more than just being a 'friend' ... you men are all alike when it comes to women ... clueless!"

"Alice asked me to kiss her, mom," Christopher protested.

"Oh sure she did," his mother said with a knowing smirk.

"She did too!"

"Kind of reminds me, Linda, of when you and I were first dating, and we got 'friendly' at your parent's house. Your mother was pretty hot stuff Christopher!"

"Roy ... stop it, you're embarrassing me!"

"She practically threw herself at me," Christopher's father said, giving him an exaggerated wink.

"I did not!" his mother said hotly.

"Some girls just don't know how to play 'hard to get', Christopher ... she just couldn't keep her hands off me ... I mean you talk about easy!"

"You are such a liar," his mother said archly, now blushing, "and it certainly wasn't my hands that needed supervision." Christopher could see she was somewhere between half-amused, half-flattered, and half-annoyed.

"As I recall you were the one chasing me ... not the other way around." she said, giving his father a swat on the arm, "and if you keep talking like this in front of your son ... well ... I hear the bed in the guest room is comfortable."

Afterwards, Christopher retreated to his room. It was hard to think about his parents being the same age as he and Alice ... and kissing, and doing other things ... but obviously they must have, or he wouldn't be here!

* * *

The days leading up to prom night swept by like a blur. He and Alice had discussed the logistics of the evening. Christopher would drive over to Alice's first, so her mom could see them all dressed up, and then the two of them would return to his house for pictures. Afterwards, a limousine would take them, along with Peter and Catherine and two other couples, out to the dinner dance, and then later on drop them at the after party, which was at Catherine's house. Christopher had money for a cab to take them back home, at whatever ridiculous hour the evening actually ended.

Finally, at long last, the big day arrived. Christopher put on his tuxedo, filled with anticipation. When he was ready, he went downstairs to collect the corsage he had bought for Alice, and to borrow his father's car keys.

"You look very handsome," his mother said wistfully, "almost all grown up ... it makes me feel so old."

"No you're not," Christopher said gallantly, kissing her on the cheek, "Alice and I will be back here for the pictures pretty soon ... and mom ... thanks for what you and dad did for Alice."

"You're welcome Christopher."

When he got to Alice's house, her mother greeted him.

"Are you excited?" she asked.

"Yes ... something tells me I'm going to have the best looking date at the prom," he answered, with all sincerity.

"What time will Alice be home ... not very early I suppose?"

"Probably 3 or 4, but don't worry Mrs. Andrews, my dad gave me money for a cab ... I'll make sure she's OK."

"Will there be drinking ... as if I didn't know?"

"At the after party ... at Catherine's ... but her parents will be there, and we have permission ... I don't think anyone will get out of line ... at least I hope not ... I certainly won't."

"You are a nice young man, Christopher," Alice's mother said with a sigh, "and I trust you ... just get my baby home safely ... I know that sounds stupid ... after all she's eighteen ... but when you're a parent you'll understand."

"Where is that girl?" Alice's mother then continued, suddenly sounding annoyed, "Does she think you've got all night?"

Just then Alice appeared, "I'm ready," she said to them.

And then Christopher just stared ... and stared ... and stared, at the vision before him. Alice was wearing a short blue organza dress, with a flaring full skirt that ended above the knee, showing off a pair of shapely legs sheathed in shimmery stockings. From her waist to the low cut bodice, the material wrapped horizontally around her in a series of small folds that accentuated her breasts. The flowing skirt itself was cloaked in another layer of transparent glistening blue fabric that gave it further fullness. Around her neck was a silver necklace, one that sparkled against her skin, and she was wearing a set of matching dangling earrings. She had put her hair up, which emphasized her graceful neckline, and had soft blue eye shadow, mascara and glossy light pink lipstick on. Her skin was more radiant than he had ever seen it; and her smile even more so.

"What do you think?" the vision asked softly, her eyes dancing with excitement.

"You look incredible," he said, meaning every word.

"Thank you, I'm sorry I'm a little late, but I wanted to look perfect for you."

And then the vision turned into his Alice, "I hope I don't fall over in these shoes," she giggled, "I'm not very used to wearing such high heels."

Christopher then noticed her stylish white shoes, which made her almost as tall as he was.

"This is for you," Christopher said, collecting himself enough to present the corsage, "I got one that goes on your wrist, because you told me the dress was strapless."

"It's so lovely," Alice said, after she opened the box.

But there was something else about Alice that was different, and then he realized what it was.

"Where are your glasses?"

"Contacts," she said with a little smile, "I wanted to surprise you."

"Do you understand how beautiful you are right now," Christopher said sincerely.

"I feel like a princess," Alice said; her happiness was so evident it made Christopher's heart almost sing.

And then he noticed Alice's mother, who was dabbing away tears from the corners of her eyes with a tissue; tears of joy, Christopher decided.

"You better go," she said to them a bit thickly, "you don't want to be late for your ride."

"I'll get my shawl," Alice said, "bye mom."

"Have fun," she replied.

Alice draped a white shawl laced with silver thread around her shoulders, and picked up a small white clutch purse from the table in the front hall. Christopher opened the door for her, and they headed outside.

"Bye Mrs. Andrews," he said as they left.

* * *

They drove back to Christopher's house, and were greeted by his parents with a camera.

"Alice," his father said in a tone of admiration, "you are gorgeous ... I'm very jealous of Christopher ... I wish I was taking you to the prom."

"You look lovely, Alice," his mother added warmly, "if I had my own daughter, I would want her to look just like you do tonight!"

"I only look the way I do thanks to you two," Alice said humbly, "you have no idea how grateful I am."

"Alice," his father said, "we were happy to do it ... now how about some pictures?"

After an orgy of picture taking, Christopher and Alice went into the living room so they could watch for the limousine, which arrived with almost perfect timing.

Christopher's parents had already gone outside to see the rest of the group in their prom clothes, which necessitated the other couples getting out of the long black car to show off for them, and have their pictures taken. They were smiles and excited chatter drifting in Christopher's direction when he opened the front door so he and Alice could join them, which turned to amazed silence when the others saw the lovely young woman beside him. As Christopher proudly escorted a radiant Alice down the front walk, a flash of insight struck him: "This is just like a fairy tale ... the ugly duckling has turned into a beautiful swan!!"

* * *

The evening unfolded in an almost magical fashion, from an awestruck Catherine, and the other girls, Christine and Jennifer, prying out of Alice during the limousine ride the name of the exclusive shop that Alice's dress had come from, to the looks of envy on the faces of the other boys attending the prom when they saw Christopher with Alice, to the delicious dinner they were served. Alice had never been accepted socially by her peer group before, and Christopher noticed how carefully she entered into the conversations at their table at first. But gradually she became more confident, and even used her good sense of humour to full effect on several occasions.

After dinner, a DJ started playing music, and when the first slow number came on Christopher asked her if she would like to join him on the dance floor.

As they swirled around the now semi-dark room, illuminated by spotlights that reflected off a rotating mirror ball suspended from the ceiling, Christopher discovered that Alice was a very good dancer. He had had a few lessons, under protest of course, courtesy of his parents who insisted upon it, and so they made a good pair. When he complimented her afterwards, she admitted with a giggle that she and Susan had practiced quite a bit.

They remained on the dance floor for a while, and when another slow number began, Alice, much to his surprise, threw away any pretext of actual dancing, as she put her arms around his neck, pulling herself tightly up against his body, while burying her head into his shoulder. As he held her, swaying to the music, he thought he could hear a small sigh. The physical intimacy overwhelmed him, she felt so soft and warm and desirable in his arms ... her subtle perfume was so tantalizing. And there were other feelings as well, ones to do with protecting her, and possessing her to the exclusion of anyone else. Even as he enjoyed the euphoria of their first close embrace, Christopher found himself confused; he had never felt like this about a girl before!