The Uprising: The Complete Story

Story Info
Prison escapees take over the city of Knoxville.
10.8k words
4.47
9.5k
00
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
KayVamp
KayVamp
344 Followers

Chapter 1

Death. Broken bodies litter the city streets. What is the meaning of all this killing? Freedom, stupidity? Maybe both, but only time will tell.

I scanned my surroundings from my secure spot in the corner. My breath hitched when I caught site of a person trying to crawl out of the carnage that made up the street. I pulled the laces tighter on my thick leather combat boots and pushed up my sleeves, I needed the utmost comfort while still being protected from the harsh elements. My mind was focused on saving the person desperately crawling for safety, and I knew I was going to put myself in danger yet again for someone I didn't know.

I held my standard issue gun at my side, ready to fire if necessary and crept from my secure position to peer around the corner of the building. It was clear, the fighting having moved further into the city. I checked the clip on my gun prepared myself mentally for the task at hand. I made another quick sweep of the area for danger, as pleased as I was going to be, I made my way to the injured person stopping dead in my tracks.

"Jared, oh my god! Shhh, don't try to speak; I'm going to help you to safety."

I glanced at his injuries. His face was bloody, his arm looked limp and his leg was clearly broken from the knee down. Shit! I exclaimed internally, I needed to move him and fast before the fighting broke out again.

"Is it just the one leg that's broken, or is it both?"

He held up one finger and I could see the fear in his eyes, it was going unspoken but words didn't really need to speak the common fear between us. We were both wondering how the hell I was going to carry his massive body to the shelter.

"Can you lean on me and walk on the good leg?"

A nod eased my mind and I made to help him up.

"It's just a few yards away Jared, don't worry, they will fix your leg and arm."

I was mostly talking to assure myself now, his face was too swollen and bruised up to be able to speak but his nods were reassuring me somehow. We made our way towards the underground shelter that housed the medical supplies and personnel.

"I've got Thompson! Check his face, arm, leg and torso he was out in the carnage."

"Yes, Captain!"

A larger orderly relieved me of Jared Thompson and placed the injured man on a gurney to be checked out. I looked around, taking in what used to be my squad and what is now a bunch of torn up bodies just back from war. My heart stopped dead in my chest when I saw just who was occupying the bed furthest from me. I grabbed the nearest doctor that wasn't working on an injured and softly asked,

"Is he...?" My voice trailed off unable to voice my greatest fear.

"No, he's barely hanging in there. Go and let him know you are here, maybe it will help him pull through."

My body didn't want to move, I was on edge from fighting off the escapees but I knew his safety was more important than my comfort level. I loved this man, whether he knew it/accepted it or not, I had to see his face before I could soothe my nerves even a fraction.

He was roughed up, hell, roughed up didn't even begin to explain it. His left arm was wrapped in a black cast; his left leg looked to be in the same condition. There was a tube giving him fluids in each arm and I mentally counted all of the stitches that covered his face and chest.

"Oh Edward, what in the hell did they do to you?"

I ran my thumb across his bottom lip gently and sighed to myself. Edward Joseph Jones has been the only one I get up for in the morning for the last six years. We've known each other and worked together for years and I fell in love with him the moment my eyes met his. I was doomed from hello. His blue eyes made my brown/green ones shine brighter and my heart skipped a beat when he did that goofy grin of his.

"Maria, we've got more wounded over here. You better come take a look."

I closed my eyes and whispered softly into Edward's ear, "Don't worry, I'll be right back to you hun. I won't leave you alone for long."

"What have we got here?"

I took in the sight of the well dressed military officer before me and straightened my stance.

"Are you Maria Romano? I'm Lieutenant Colonel John Daniels; I've been told that a few of my men are being treated here. How may I be of service to you Captain?"

"Wow, this is a switch Lt. Colonel, shouldn't I be offering to help you, Sir?"

He laughed and replied, "It does seem odd doesn't it? But I suppose you help those in need, especially if they know what the hell they are doing."

"That's exactly how I see it sir. Please, follow me this way and I'll lead you to your men while we discuss supplies and whatnot."

***********

I paced the floors of the makeshift hospital revising a plan of action. I need some way to search for survivors of this horrendous uprising and I also need to send a team to investigate why the hell this is happening. The past few weeks had been filled with convicts escaping from prisons all over the state, with no idea how they were achieving this goal, we were at a loss. Security was upped at prisons but somehow they kept escaping. I was worried, hell we all were, but I had an inkling of what was going to happen. Lately, I was having visions of a major atrocity occurring in the city causing thousands of deaths and even more captives used as bargaining chips.

I hadn't slept well in two months, visions haunting my dreams and making my life a living hell and now, this was my living hell. My friends that worked in the prisons started disappearing one by one, but they weren't running away however. No, the employees at the prisons were being killed and no damn clues were left behind to lead to who was doing all of this. As a police Captain, I feared for the men on my force. I've known many of them since police academy and a few since high school, so my fears ran deep and my doubts in the judicial system ran even deeper.

The one man that has stood by my side from the beginning, meaning high school when I was a cast out, was Edward. My first day of freshman year was going fine until I had gotten a nosebleed from fighting off my visions. I was still learning to control the new ability and had failed miserably in keeping the blood from my shirt. I walked around humiliated by other students because the entire front of my shirt was stained red with blood.

My only solace coming from a large dark haired boy on the football team. I was pulled into the football locker room almost roughly by the most gorgeous guy I had ever seen.

"Please tell me this is just a bad nosebleed, and that I don't have to kick someone's ass for hurting you."

I looked up at him shocked, almost too shocked to speak. His blue eyes chilled me to my core, but then heated up my body instantly.

"NnnNo, it's just a nosebleed, it's from a headache I had earlier."

I stammered to speak and almost stopped breathing when the giant teenager pulled his shirt off revealing a tight six pack stomach and a chest with thick curly brown hair on it. I was in heaven, I decided that I had indeed died from blood loss and gone to heaven right there.

"Here, I'll wear my football jersey and you obviously need something else to wear. I hope it doesn't smell too much like a guy for you. Come here."

He pulled me into a big bear hug as I blushed immensely.

"I'm Edward Jones, I know this may seem weird but I used to get nosebleeds all the time and I saw how everyone was making fun of you so I just had to help. What's your name kid?"

"Maria Romano, and thanks for the shirt, it smells really nice."

***********

I remember that day as if it were yesterday, and that was over five years ago. That damn man has had my heart clenched in his big strong hands for six years now, and I really hoped he wouldn't give it back. Looking back it seems so obvious that we were perfect for each other. I mean, he loves to eat and with my Italian heritage, I sure can cook! Sitting at his bedside now is draining; it takes a lot of energy to not cry. I pulled the privacy curtain and curled up beside him in his hospital bed, the only way I would sleep would be with my head on his chest and his heartbeat lulling me off to bliss.

I awoke a few hours later feeling warm and protected. It was still dark out, but the moon gave off enough light to see clearly in the small cubicle like area. I felt Edward's hand move and a finger trace my jaw line.

"This place gives great service Ria, hell; they even give you a beautiful woman to wake up holding!"

He chuckled softly and squeezed me to him. I sighed, breathing in his masculine scent.

"How ya feeling old man? You holdin' up?"

"I'm better now that you're here with me. You know I hate hospitals, or hospital-like places, so waking up with you here was a big relief. Thanks Ria."

He kissed my forehead and squeezed me in a hug again, god I could just die right here and be happy. That thought made my heart stop then speed up as if bursting out of my chest. I had to do something, and now. I tilted my head up, gazed into Edward's deep blue eyes taking a deep breath and softly pressed my lips to his. The electric feeling coursing through my body begged me to deepen the kiss, and when he didn't fight me I did just that. I gently ran my fingers through his shaggy brown hair and moved to straddle him while continuing our kiss.

Our tongues danced together as his good hand grabbed a handful of my round backside, causing me to moan into his kiss even more. His bad hand, cast and all, was knotted in my hair keeping me close and somewhat controlling our unexpected kiss. I gasped as he groped my breast through my uniform making my nipples harden almost painfully. I ground my hips against his lap, delightfully finding his erection freely poking me through his hospital gown and blanket.

After what seemed like hours of just sitting there kissing, we finally broke away from each other. Tears flowed freely from my eyes as I collapsed into his shoulder, the fear of possibly losing him finally catching up with me enough to cause a break down. I didn't have to say a word; he rubbed my back and soothed me quietly.

"Shhh... Ria, it's ok, I've got you. I'm right here and I'm fine baby, don't cry."

My tears finally subsided and I felt Edward's chest rising in a chuckle.

"That was some kiss Ria, you sure you don't love me?"

"Of course I do you fool, I always have! I've loved you since you gave me that damn shirt in high school, which I still have by the way."

I nuzzled his neck, I didn't care what I said anymore, and he needed to know the truth and all of it.

He chuckled again and ran his good hand through my hair.

"I know, I've loved you since then too but I thought you wouldn't want to risk our friendship so I didn't push it. I had seen you come in the cafeteria that day and when you suddenly ran out, I followed you to make sure you were ok. Then, when I saw your shirt all bloody, I knew just what I had to do."

He pulled me closer and kissed my forehead and cheek.

"I've loved you all along Ria, you're my Ria and you always have been. You think I went to that damn prom for fun? I hate dancing, you know that, but I went for you and god Ria, you were the most beautiful girl there. It took everything I had not to kiss you like I wanted to that night. Nothing's stopping me now though, so come here woman."

Our lips locked again and the gunfire heard a few blocks away didn't even register until the door burst open with soldiers bringing in more wounded.

"I guess I better get back to work. I'll be back as soon as I can Edward; don't go dying on me you bastard."

I smiled and leaned in for a brief kiss before climbing down from his bed and making my way to the newly wounded to assess the damage and draw out a new plan. I could tell I had a long night ahead of me, and a new reason to end this fighting for good.

Chapter 2

Thanks to Lt. Colonel John Daniels, my team was now equipped with military grade weapons. I crouched on the rooftop of the BB&T bank building, having moved some of my men there as a new post. The men and women trapped here when the fighting broke out were glad to see our arrival, bringing with us some sense of comfort and safety.

I stood in front of a semi-circle of my best men and prepared to hand out orders.

"Stephens, you and Andrews are to head to the rooftop. You will guard the building from intruders that intend to do harm to the civilians throughout this building. Trent, you and Collins are to go with them. Make sure at least two of you have the communicators in case you need to get in touch with base. Stephens, you'll be in charge."

I looked to see if they had any questions before continuing.

"Jacobs, take Brock, Fisher, and Johnston to ground level. Any civilians found are to be brought to the fourth floor where any medical needs they have can be met. Jacobs, you're in charge so take the communicator and stay together. I don't want to lose my men today."

The only ones remaining were my best on the team. The only girls on my squad, but for a damn good reason, these three were the best.

"Michaels, Sharp, Hardins, you three are to take the basement and bring in any survivors you find from the streets. I trust you with the most difficult job naturally. Be careful and watch each others back like always, there are innocent people that need our help. Each of you need a communicator, stay on channel 4 because everyone will be keeping in touch via the communicators. Stay within two blocks radius until cleared by me, unless you see a survivor within sensible reach. Stick to the shadows like we discussed and you should be fine."

"Captain, where can we find you if we need you?"

"I'll be on the third floor. One of the windows has been broken just enough to fire my rifle at possible intruders. Remember, stay low and keep your wits about you."

With that we all went our separate ways. I quickly made my way down the flight of stairs to the third floor and positioned myself in the window. I set up the Robar SR-60 allowing just the barrel to barely peer out of the broken spot. Using the scope, I located a group of escapees in the clock tower across the courtyard. Silently lining up my shot, I took out the biggest that appeared to be giving out orders to the others. The other four barely had time to register what had happened when I had finished taking out the last one.

My mission was clear. Remove those who pose a threat to civilians and intend to cause harm to my men. I scanned the area for others on rooftops or near the surrounding area and came up clear. I decided to check in on my crew and grabbed my communicator.

"Stephens, come in. Do you read me?"

"Loud and clear boss, what's your twenty?"

"Third floor, how's your position looking?"

"All's quiet at the moment boss, those boys on the clock tower seem to have been alone. I'll keep an eye out and alert you to any activity."

"Ten-four Stephens, I'm heading to ground level to help Jacobs' team with civilian round up. Keep me posted."

I made my way down the staircase slowly but with determination. Nearing the ground level entranceway, I peered out the glass reinforced doors and made note that all seemed clear at the moment. Pulling out my communicator, I located Jacobs and his team to be in the bank section of the floor.

"Jacobs, do any need medical attention? Serious cases first mind you."

"No ma'am, the gunshots inside the bank area seem to have missed all patrons except for minor injuries such as cuts and bruises. All doors and windows have been secured and the entire floor has been cleared for intruders. Ma'am, maybe we should leave Johnston and Fisher down here to maintain the floor after we move all civilians to the fourth floor?"

I quickly sorted out the details of leaving two of my men on their own and decided the pros outweighed the cons tremendously.

"Johnston and Fisher, make sure you both have communicators and go to separate ends of the building. I want this building completely secure, the back entrance has been boarded up with no way of possible entry but I still want an eye kept on it. Report back to each other often and stay in contact with the rest of the group. Understood?"

Their quick nods and movement to their posts told me that it was the right decision to assign the two men to the task.

"Good work Stephens, we'll discuss a promotion when this is all over. The rest of you start getting the civilians upstairs to level four. No loud voices, we don't want to draw attention to ourselves anymore than necessary. Keep voices at a whisper and make sure everyone follows that order."

I heard static coming from my communicator and quickly grabbed it to check the line.

"Code 30! Officer Hardins down, request backup immediately."

My heart rate raced as I made my way to the lower level basement and silently into the streets. Diana Hardins was one of my best officers and also a dear friend, I knew I was risking my ass to save her but there's nothing more important than your team and friends.

I pulled my 9 mm out of my ankle holster and prepared myself for seek and retrieve. Scanning my surroundings, I took in the scene. I could clearly see Hardins on the ground, but still firing at the incoming shots. Next to Hardins was Sharp, using a car hood to shield herself and Hardins from the incoming fire and yet Michaels was nowhere to be found. I braced myself and checked to see if anyone else was around to take shots at.

I crouched low and ran for the car hood being held up by Sharp, who was beginning to look pale. Bullets flew past me as I made my way behind the shield and grabbed one end to take some of the weight off of a slowly fading Tara Sharp.

"What the hell is going on!?! Where's Michaels?"

"They have her boss, the first line of fire went out and she took a hit in the leg. From what I could tell, it didn't hit the artery but it hindered her escape. They swooped in and drug her back to the main post office building. Hardins and I tried shooting out their knee caps but we were unsuccessful in retrieving Michaels. Hardins took a hit in her thigh, still missing any major veins but its deep; someone's going to have to dig it out and soon."

"Shit, Sharp! You're bleeding too. Looks like you caught one in the shoulder, how you feeling besides the obvious? Can you help me with Hardins here? Let's use the shield to make it back to the building. Hardins, can you walk at all?"

"I can limp boss, that's how I made it over here. Don't worry boss, I'm stronger than I look."

"Alright, on three we'll lift you up on your good leg and you'll lean on me. Got it? Sharp, drag that shield along since we can't fight the shots and hall Hardins too. Can you handle that with your shoulder, or do we need to switch positions?"

"Not a problem boss, I barely feel it right now. Let's get Hardins to safety so we can kill those bastards and get Michaels back."

We rushed back to the bank using Sharp's shield and I ended up slinging Hardins over my shoulders firemen style to get her back to the bank quickly. Daniel Brock and Todd Jacobs were waiting to help us when we returned.

"Where's Michaels, is she hurt too?" Todd Jacobs' face showed his fears; if they weren't already dating I would swear he was crushing on her.

"A group of the escapees got her; she was shot in the leg which led to her capture." I looked at his face as it fell, "Don't worry; I'm already concocting a plan to get her back."

He nodded then grabbed Hardins as she collapsed from blood loss.

"Get her upstairs! I'll alert the medical team and make sure they are ready when you get up there."

I grabbed my communicator and warned the medical staff of incoming wounded. I grabbed my cell phone and called the Lt. Colonel first.

KayVamp
KayVamp
344 Followers