The Warmest Winter, Day 16

Story Info
Time to move on.
12.7k words
4.82
31.2k
75

Part 16 of the 16 part series

Updated 09/30/2022
Created 04/12/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Thanks to everyone for their feedback on the previous chapters, with a special thank-you to my real-life editor. Remaining errors, if any, are mine. Reading the chapters of this story in order is highly recommended. All geek culture references are properties of their original copyright holders.

*****

Michael Thomas Evans looked at himself in the mirror. It had taken a fair bit of focus to get to sleep after the argument he had with Jenny. Even so, it didn't feel very restful: even his dream thoughts were racing rapidly. Usually he could recall his dreams, and today only brought flashes and blurs.

He'd learned how to deal with times like this as early as high school. When he found that he had woken up an hour before his alarm, he lay in bed and stared at the ceiling, letting his thoughts continue to sort themselves out as they did when he slept. It helped, but not much.

Maybe he'd been too hard on Jenny. She did seem like she was just trying to help. But after the last time she tried to push him, and what it took to sort that out, was she stubborn enough to try again? Or just arrogant? He shook his head. Arrogance wasn't her style. That sounded more like... Rick.

Mike groaned at the realization. Memory clicking into place, he recalled that Rick orchestrated time alone with Jenny before heading out two evenings before. That was the last time they'd seen each other before the argument. He must have put her up to it.

Still, she should have known better. And regardless of the reasons they both had, it wasn't worth it. He'd have to hash it out and settle the issue.

As if on cue, the second after Mike came to this conclusion, his alarm went off.

"I don't want clever... conversation," Billy Joel sang, "I never want to work that hard.... Mmmm... I just want someone... that I can talk to... I want you just the way you are..."

Click.Mike turned it off. He had to face the day sometime. Getting up, he did his usual morning routine, with only a few changes. He took more time shaving, so touch-ups before the hearing wouldn't be too tasking. And the clothes he put on were very casual and loose-fitting, easier to take off for more formal attire later. He'd shower later, too.

Boxers? Check. Jeans? Check. T-shirt? Check. He reminded himself to buy a fez.

Still trying to think of what to say to Jenny, he headed downstairs to face the music. What he found himself instead facing was a bow, like from a wrapped present, stuck to the inside of the second-floor door to his bedroom. He unstuck it, and palmed it, planning on asking about it at breakfast.

When Mike opened the door, his mouth dropped open. Someone had decorated his entire house with his Christmas decorations. The lights, the garlands... everything, it looked like.

Walking into the foyer, Veronica turned and spotted him.

"Hey, everybody! He's up!" she called.

Christmas music sprang from Mike's stereo in the living room, from what sounded like Rick's Magical iPod. People started pouring into the foyer from the kitchen. Nate joined Veronica and put his arm around her. Rick and Cassie followed, and then...

"Dave? Stan? And Tina?!" Mike gaped further.

"Merry Christmas, Mike!" everybody chorused.

"But it's nearly February!" was all Mike could think of to say.

"Always winter, never Christmas," said a voice on Mike's right. Jenny had not been with the others; she was in the library when Mike came down. Cassie hurried back into the kitchen to keep something from burning, and the others followed.

"Don't stay too long, you two," said Veronica. "Wouldn't want Mike to miss his own party."

When they were alone, Jenny continued. Her voice was guarded, not sure how he'd feel since the previous day's argument. "You reminded me of Narnia, when we first see it in the book. Wonderful and amazing, but also a little sad. When I saw all these decorations covered in dust in the basement that first day, that got me thinking. You were always here only in the winter, but you never let it be Christmas."

"And we know exactly who the White Witch was," Mike said.

"Heh. Really. I just wanted to-"

"I know," said Mike, wanting to spare her from apologizing again when she didn't need to, not to him. "You've been a better friend to me than I deserve. And don't bother denying it, I know my faults. On that note, I wanted to apologize. Whatever my opinions and feelings are, there's a right way and wrong ways to express them. I crossed a lot of lines yesterday that I'm not happy about. I hope you can forgive me."

"Of course, Mike, why wouldn't I? I... I like you, I think you know, and don't want to stop being friends just 'cause we argue. If that were the case, Vee, Cass, and I wouldn't have made it this far."

"Steve Harrison?"

"No, look, I really liked the guy, but then Veronica... oh, you know what? Ancient history. But you see? It's just history. We're cool."

"You were right about one thing, Jenny."

"What's that?"

"You've thawed me out. Thishasbeen the warmest winter I've ever had." Jenny had to wipe a tear out of her eye.

"Either join us in here or get a room!" hollered Rick from the kitchen, "We're tired of straining our ears!"

"To be continued?" offered Mike.

"Yeah," said Jenny softly, "I'd like that."

Once downstairs with Jenny and everyone else, Mike heard that song from the beer commercial with the dancing lights. Rick was most definitely behind the playlist.

"So how did you pull this off?" Mike asked Jenny. She beamed. Not only had he liked the surprise, but he was letting her show off her plan. Validation, for the win!

"As soon as I heard about the court date and the stakes, I told Cassie and Veronica my idea. We called Nate and through him got ahold of Rick. After that, it was just a matter of spreading the word. Rick called Dave, Dave called Stan and Tina. Knowing your routine after two weeks, and that the master bedroom suite was sound-dampened, we could put everything up while you slept. Rick and Nate spent the night in the basement, having borrowed some stuff from the closets. Remember those extra blankets you offered us? Dave, Stan, and Tina arrived only about half an hour ago."

"We carpooled," explained Dave. "I'm also their ride to the courthouse." Mike noticed their attire. Dave had on his ranger uniform, and the mechanic shop couple had a warm version of their Sunday best.

"I feel so bad," said Mike, "I don't have anything to give you, Jenny. Oh, wait, yes, I do. Close your eyes."

She did, and like a kid, held out her hands with a huge grin on her face. Mike put something in her hair.

"Now you're decorated, too," Mike said. Jenny opened her eyes and found her reflection in the microwave door. The bow from the door was now in her hair. She turned back to Mike and smiled.

The bow stayed in her hair for the rest of the party. Since the party had been planned long before Rick arrived, he had thought to bring a party game called Cards Against Humanity, for which he also bought as many Christmas expansion packs as he could. Mike had never played the game, and what it amounted to was a person reading a prompt, and everyone else answering the question or filling in the blank with a card from their hand, to hilarious effect. This was made more interesting by the fact that more than half of the cards were of an overtly sexual, pornographic, or just plain graphic nature.

"That's horrible!" said Stan after reading one of the cards. Tina looked over.

"It's not that bad," she shrugged.

"But it's one of the hand-written cards!"

Finally, after a small brunch, the carpooled guests left to go to the courthouse early. Rick and Nate, too, left, to swing by their hotel for anything they missed, and to tidy up their appearance for court. This left Mike and the three ladies to get ready to go.

After a short shower, which the other three also took in succession after him, Mike turned his attention to what to wear.

Mike went for what he thought of as "respectful but just shy of complete formality." What it amounted to was a suit where he didn't wear a tie. He chose a plain black suit and white button-up shirt, and then pulled out a long black overcoat, for the cold, along with a Kangol cap and a pair of gloves.

Downstairs, he sat in his armchair, openly appreciating the job everyone did decorating the Christmas tree. It looked beautiful. He went to the kitchen and pulled out his digital camera from a supply drawer.

"That for us?" asked Cassie from the hallway. Mike turned. She was stunning. Understated yet bold, sexy but not wanton, assured but not diva, the outfit was Cassie in every way.

"You look great," Mike said honestly. Cassie smiled.

Veronica was next, looking how Mike could only think of as a "sexy, kick-ass, professional." He told her so.

"Ha! Ilikeit!"

Jenny turned the corner, and Mike nearly dropped the camera. Before, when he had seen her in the same dress, there were all sorts of distractions. Now, he could only stare, dumbstruck. Jenny looked uncharacteristically abashed at his attention, but recovered quickly.

"Someone close his mouth before a bird lands in it."

"What, no reactions to how I'm dressed?" he countered.

"Yeah, lookin' sharp!" commented Veronica.

"Makes me look forward to what Rick's wearing," Cassie said.

"Not much different," said Mike. "We have the same measurements. And we keep it that way, by accident. We're gym buddies, too, and you know how competitive we are. Ever wonder how I got my physique? Now you know."

Cassie was smiling to herself, presumably walking down memory lane.

"Well, let's just rip the Band-Aid off, there's nothing else to do here," said Jenny.

"One thing," said Mike suddenly. "I just realized that in all this time I still don't have any pictures of any of you. And I think the three of you would look even more beautiful in front of the Christmas tree."

They all put down their purses and hurried over. Cassie was between her friends, and they all had their arms around one another. Mike snapped a photo that would certainly keephimwarm for the rest of the winter.

"And now, a family tradition of mine," Mike said, "One serious, one silly. No one's gonna see it if you don't want them to, just have fun with it!"

After a couple of minutes, the ladies settled. Veronica unbuttoned her shirt to fully reveal her cleavage, and Cassie planted her face as deeply into it as she could. Cassie's hands found their way to Veronica's ass, grabbing her cheeks. Veronica's pose was a comically-shocked gasp at Cassie, eyes wide and jaw dropped, her arms straight out, fingers wide. Jenny gripped Cassie by the hips and brought hers in, miming penetration as if using a strap-on. Her expression was an exaggeration of what Mike guessed was a male O-face, eyes scrunched up with her mouth open. Mike snapped the photo, not knowing if in the future he'd laugh at it or jerk off to it. But it was totally them: fun, confident, sexy.

"Okay," he said, "Nowwe can go."

Donning their coats, they headed out, spirits high.

*****

It took over an hour and a half to reach the courthouse, which was really just one wing of the municipal building. The building itself was the standard brick-and-columns setup, from back when the area was first becoming populated. The founders had evidently thought it would one day be more metropolitan.

Mike dropped the women off at the bottom of the steps leading in, then went to park the Hummer. He saw a number of familiar cars and faces. Some smiled and waved, some looked irritated, some quickly turned their heads away. He found a spot in the back, as his behemoth of a vehicle would not easily fit in most regular parking spots, and walked in.

Jenny and the others were milling around in the hallway outside the courtroom, just past security, waiting for Mike. When he walked in, Dave was on his way over.

"Tall, white hair, balding stick in the mud?" he asked, "Short, kinda hog-faced redhead? Mexican lawyer? That them?"

"His parents were Guatemalan, actually," Mike said, "Not that they would cop to knowing him anymore. But yeah, that's them."

"They're right up front, like they're prosecuting somebody. Think they own the place."

"Well," said Rick, striding up in his courtroom best. Nate followed. "We're here to make sure they can't."

"Hi, Rick," said Cassie.

"Hey, Cass. Oh, you're wearing the blue one today? Hmm. I really liked the white one, the way it frames your" –he caught Nate's gaze- "Never mind. Shall we? A front row has been saved for us."

"Who's the judge?" Nate asked as they walked inside the courtroom itself.

"Anderson. Tough but fair. Very tough."

Mike saw Samuel and Martha Harrington in the front row on the right, sitting and looking only straight ahead. Their lawyer was next to them, facing the crowd, reading it. When Mike entered, he made eye contact and grinned. He even had the audacity to wink.

Seeing this, Rick refocused his friend. "Come on, everyone saved us the other front row. The hearing starts in a few minutes."

Mike took a second to look around before seating himself. The place was by no means large, and by no means packed. The floor was full, except that nobody apparently wanted to sit next to the Harringtons or their lawyer. The upper-level seats were occupied by few, mainly mothers who wanted to nurse without having to defend themselves about it.

Nate took the aisle seat, followed by Rick, Mike, Jenny, Cassie, and Veronica. Dave, Stan, and Tina were in the row behind Mike, and other uniformed park rangers were dotted around the courtroom.

The bailiff walked in and announced the formal title of the proceeding, then "the honorable Margaret Anderson, presiding. Court is now in session. Please rise."

Everyone did so. Judge Anderson walked up to her seat at the head of the room. In other circumstances, Mike may have whispered to someone next to him, "Does Judge Judy have a twin?" It seemed that the only difference was that Judge Anderson had long, white hair, wrapped in a tight bun.

"Thank you, Jerry," she said, talking to the bailiff. "You may be seated." That was to the room.

"I am given to understand the unique situation we are here today to review," Judge Anderson began. "And if I knew it would get so many more people interested in the legal process, I'd have done it a long time ago." A light smile graced her lips, and the tension in the room broke for the time being. "Despite the fact that this is not a trial, I understand we have two trial lawyers present. Is that correct?"

"Yes, your honor," replied Rick, standing.

"Who are you?"

"Richard Tessaro, ma'am. And this suited gentleman on the other side is Carlos Santiago. I am against the enforcement of the new policies as written, and he is for them."

"Let him speak for himself," chided the judge, holding up a finger. Rick sat. "Mister Santiago?" He stood.

"Mister Tessaro is correct, your honor. I am Carlos Santiago, and I represent Mister Samuel Harrington the Third, and his wife Martha, who have dedicated years of their lives and much of their wealth to the implementation of the policy-changing Act in dispute today."

"From the documentation I have in front of me, it appears they are not locals. This means they are outside interests. As a matter of fact, I know the judge for your district. Why are you here?"

"Your honor, I will explain," Santiago said.

"Go on."

"The Harringtons thought it a shame that the park could not stay open the full year, and so sought through legal means to benefit the park in a profound and lasting way. Though they themselves are not locals, their daughter, rest her soul, loved the area. As a tribute to her memory, the changes they sought to make would enable so many others to see the beauty that Kendra Harrington could no longer enjoy."

"Thank you, Mister Santiago. Mister Tessaro, you look upset." Rick took this as an opening to voice a rebuttal. But first, he turned to Mike.

"I'm sorry," he said quietly, "This is my only move."

"What are you-"

"Your honor, as much distaste as I have for saying it," Rick proclaimed, "Most of what my colleague just expressed is an outright lie."

The courtroom buzzed with conversation, and Judge Anderson banged her gavel for order.

"Mister Tessaro, you will need to support that highly inflammatory remark."

"Of course, your honor. I am the lawyer Michael hired to forge the agreements that allowed him to stay here, with the oversight of your predecessor. I understand the relevant local laws more than anyone else, save Mike himself. And now, I draw the court's attention..." Here Rick noted specific portions of the law and gave brief explanations of how they combined, especially with prior years' changes also wrought by the Harringtons.

"The sum of these, your honor, is that the Harringtons specifically designed these laws to not only prevent land development around the park, but to remove all development on land not outright owned privately, and the leases not renewed. Technically, my client does not own the land his house is on."

"Your point, Mister Tessaro?" It had been a lengthy explanation the judge had not been prepared for when she decided on decaf that morning.

"There is only one property these laws could possibly apply to, your honor. My client's. Michael Thomas Evans, the gentleman to my left."

"Mister Evans. My predecessor, Judge Ross, spoke of you to me. Gary said you were something special. Any idea why these people may wish to target you?"

Mike hesitated to answer, glaring at Rick.

"Fine," Mike said to Rick, "But you owe me." Turning to the judge, he stood and said, "Your honor, the Harringtons' daughter was my ex-fiancée."

This caused another buzz, and another gavel bang.

"You have my attention, Mister Evans."

"I met her in college. We dated, and even moved in together. After some time, I proposed and she said yes. Sometime later, I got a visit from her brother, Sam, who had been keeping tabs on his family, despite being estranged from them. I didn't even know she had a brother. If not for the hair color, I wouldn't have believed he was. Anyway, he told me that Kendra was only after me for my money. Not wanting to believe him, and wanting to hear her side of the story, I went home. Early."

The pained look in the judge's face told him that she already guessed where the story was going.

"I came home and found her in our bed with another man. I admit that I was angry enough, I shot him with a Taser in the perineum."

"You shot himwhere?"

"The perineum. It's the patch of skin between the-"

"I know where it is, Mister Evans. Please, just continue."

"She lied to my face about why she was doing it. But the details were patently false. I shot her with my other Taser, don't ask, in the chest, then left. I later heard from Sam she had concocted a story he knew to be false, and so he believed me and I him. Kendra tried to use her illness as an excuse, but I left anyway. Her parents could take care of her, or she could sucker someone else into being her sugar daddy. I got a newspaper clipping, I assume from Sam, her brother, when she died. And that's all." Mike collapsed into his seat. That had taken a lot out of him.

"And now," Rick said, taking the reins, "The Harringtons are just using the law to get revenge on what they think Mike did, supposedly leaving their daughter in a state of despair that made her succumb to her cancer."

"I object, your honor," said Santiago. "All of this is hearsay, prejudicial against my clients, questionably relevant, and not substantiated in any way."

Judge Anderson turned on him. "The relevance is what I say it is, Mister Santiago, and I will not have that questioned in my own court. Is that understood?"

"Yes, your honor," the lawyer backpedaled.