The Widow

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I sat her down and explained, "I was five months pregnant when we had the accident. The steering wheel had done terrible internal injuries to me and the unborn child when it broke and I had not only lost the baby but all my equipment to have more!"

This time it was mother that cried and I comforted her as we sobbed and let out the grief. She had lost a son-in-law and two grandchildren. She had not known about the pregnancy. She went to lie down and I returned to finish cooking the bed of beef. That final evening we danced and sang and all too soon, it was time for them to retire. We had a final toast to my project and I had two cheques to lodge with promises of the rest in the mail when the short-term securities matured over the next month or so.

I rose early gave them a hearty breakfast and it was time to see them to their cars. I had enough steak left over to feed myself for at least a week and enough cold meat for twice that time. I kissed and was kissed by all and I waved to them as they drove down the drive. I stood watching as they crested the rise and disappeared. I returned to my kitchen and began to tidy up. When I tidied the bedrooms, I found a cheque from John for two thousand dollars under the pillow. I vowed to put in a deposit account and never draw on it.

The next month was busy. A dishwasher was fitted. Jill, the lovely teenage daughter of my nearest neighbor, was offered a job as kitchen hand. I had a woman from the village on call to help with the rooms if I was busy. The licensing inspectors for the rooms and kitchen had been and gone and I was officially open for business.

I had a good summer, but not good enough. The bank manager said I had not actually made a profit. I was paying too much for food and not charging enough for meals or accommodation. He did not like my hand-written books and wanted better breakdowns of which income was for what service. He wanted to see detailed accounts of outgoings. He would only give me an advance if the autumn figures improved.

They did not, the weather was poor and the tourist season fizzled out early. I had another bleak meeting with the bank manager. He still did not like my bookkeeping and suggested I use a computer. John's PC had been idle in the corner of the office all these years. I was competent as a secretary but did not know much about keeping books on a computer or producing reports from one. I would have to learn. I had enough spare time with the spring being late; it was colder than winter and tourists were few and far between.

As I was returning to my car, I bumped into an old school friend. She looked at me in shock, mostly because my scars were prominently lit in the morning sun, and asked, "Good god Merrill! What happened?"

She took my arm and we entered the lounge bar of the village pub that had opened minutes before.

"I need a drink," she said, "How about you?"

It was early, but I did need something and so we sat and she delicately probed and I told her my story. Getting married to John, moving out here, the house, the children, and the accident and now running my guesthouse and restaurant into the ground.

She told me of her attempts to become a showgirl, but she did not have the looks or talent and had almost ended up as a call girl, but had found a living running her own business, a contact agency. She had also been married, it had not lasted long and had been divorced some years and she could not have children, something about fallopian tubes. We chattered on having a counter lunch and I was much brighter when we wound up our mutual stories.

Libby asked if she could come and see my home and so she followed me in her swish car to my much-impoverished mansion. The gardener had been paid last week and the place looked good. I did not know when I could afford to get him back again.

Libby was agog.

"Merrill this is exactly what I have been looking for. I have used motels and hotels, but they are either too expensive, or to large, or to close to other facilities, would you like some of my business?"

I asked, "What sort of business?"

"What I want is a private restaurant where I can bring a group of people who might be compatible, to talk over a meal and a dance without any casual passers by dropping in, a contact club. I also have some other groups who might like to come occasionally," she hinted, "How many can you seat?"

I showed her the layout for thirty, the maximum design that the license allowed.

"That is a bit cramped and hard work in the kitchen so I usually cater for eight or so, with tables set for twelve as couples. The bank manager wants me to cater for the maximum."

"You could arrange a large table for twelve then?"

"Yes easily."

"How about tomorrow evening? I have been let down, a double booking in the only restaurant in the village."

"Yes what sort of meal do you want?"

"Oh a couple of choices and there's one vegetarian, nothing too fancy and about twenty dollars a head. Do you have a liquor license?"

"No, only wine, but guests staying overnight have the use of room bar fridges."

"I had better look at your rooms as well then."

She went over the moon at the four rooms with their king sized beds, double divan and en-suite, John had insisted each room be fitted with.

"I will let you know when I have a group to stay over a weekend. Do you need a month's notice?"

I laughed. "No just a few days so I can get food in."

She asked, "How much do you charge?"

I told her, "Thirty dollars for a double room for two, forty five if they have four to a room."

She said, "Double it! I will ring you tomorrow. Do you need an advance booking fee?"

I was very happy to take the hundred dollars she had held out. We exchanged phone numbers and she drove off to tell her group of the new location for the next evening.

Twenty dollars a head for food did not leave me much scope and not much profit, but was going to pay the bills for the week and any wine they drank would help a lot. I defrosted some steaks and put them to marinate, as they were a little tough. I took a leg of pork from the freezer, the last joint in it, and checked the vegetables. I had enough so I prepared a menu for the evening, set the tables up in the alcove to the right of the dance floor, and left a similar empty table to the right. A configuration that laid another ghost. We were returning from the city to such a function when I had crashed the car.

I slept happy that night and Jill was quite excited when I rang her to come help cook for twelve. Libby rang, the twelve was now fourteen she and her boyfriend would come, could they have a table for two, to one side.

I adjusted the layout and bang went Jill's and my steak dinner. I had seven steak dinners and could stretch the pork to six and with soup and vegetables plus a vegetarian meal. We would have to find something else. I found a couple of gammon rounds and some eggs and as an after thought added them to the menu. We just might get steak yet.

I cooked the joint and the kitchen filled with the delicious smell as it roasted. I had all the trimmings and Jill helped me set the table with glasses and cutlery.

Libby arrived and introduced me to her beau, a handsome Italian looking man with dark slicked back hair and flashing eyes. He took my hand and lifted it to his lips; his breath was hot on my knuckles and my insides turned to water. I mumbled hello, sat them at their table, and offered them the wine list.

I had not yet had to re-stock because John had kept an excellent cellar, another point the bank manager had made. I was a little embarrassed about the prices, which were double what I had previously been charging. He ordered a bottle of my best and most expensive wine and I was sure of a profit tonight. I had not had time to open it when the reception hall bell went so rather than get Jill to answer it, she was busy making gravy, I went to answer it.

I had a shock as the strange group of people trouped in; some weird looking characters, all misfits, five men and seven girls. I took their coats and saw them to the dining room. I closed the front door and I was off in my first dinner-only adventure. It went very well and Jill got to eat a steak, while I had pork. We had some leftovers. The homemade soup had gone down well, one man asking for seconds and the vegetarian then asked for more as well, so that had been all used. I sold six bottles of wine and with the coffee afterwards had a receipt book with bills totaling $240 for the food and almost that for the wine. I estimated that the food and drink had cost me $60 so the margin was just about what the bank manager had insisted on and this had been a minimum meal.

How could I do it three or four times a week though?

I left the animated group with some dance music playing and helped Jill load the dishwasher and sent her home at the appointed hour. She was a lovely girl, sweet seventeen and a delightful person to know and work with. She shouted her goodnight as she mounted her bicycle and rode off down the dirt track. I returned and discreetly watched my guests mingle and after Libby and her man began dancing a few couples joined them. They were odd group, real misfits, but soon began to mix better and eventually began enjoying themselves.

I got a few requests for specific tunes, found the CDs and when I dimmed the lights, they were really enjoying the night out. I closed the bar I had sold a few extra carafes of house wine, a cheap cask plonk. I tidied away two ashtrays and the empty coffee cups. They all danced when I put on the last waltz. I saw them into their coats and off. Libby and her man stayed back; she had said goodbye to each of them, knowing all their Christian names.

I shut the till, and Libby took my hand and pulled me to the table her man was still sitting at. He told me that if I was willing he could steer quite a lot of business my way and that I should consider carefully before I agreed. The business involved a group of swingers, a wife swapping, overnight mini orgy! I could fill all the rooms and serve a full meal provided I turned a blind eye to what went on in my guesthouse! All would arrive by their own cars there would be no taxis, no beer, or hard liquor.

I jumped at the chance.

"When do you want to come?"

"How about this Friday and again Saturday night for a different group, the first six, the second eight."

I accepted with glee, already furiously working out menus and prices. I was very naïve and did not think they would be a problem to accommodate.

He kissed my hand again and as they, left Libby said, "I will come help you wait on. About eight, for eight thirty dinner. The best meal you can offer, but no choices. Say about forty dollars a head."

I went to bed feeling very good.

12