The Witch and the Dragon Ch. 19

Story Info
The sounds of war, lies, and mermaids.
6.6k words
4.72
12.8k
24

Part 19 of the 21 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 04/19/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sorry it took so long to post this chapter. It's kind of hard to try to post something every week, but I will definitely try to work on posting at least every two weeks. The story is coming down to the ending, perhaps four or five chapters more and then I definitely need a break before I start Ashriel and Annie's story. Thanks once more to everyone who's voted and commented. I especially appreciate the comments. They let me see what my readers want and I try to please as much as I can, of course, I the end, the characters always do what they need to do... what they must do... love without boundaries.

*

Alluna gaped at the beautiful dark winged angel at the foot of the long table. The end of a thick golden braid had slid over his waist to rest at his hip as he bent over in a reverent bow. More wisps of gold curled around his face. His shoulders and arms bulged with muscle. The soft brown woven leather encasing his thighs strained over the impressive girth there. The reaper was enormous and breath-taking.

Her heart pounded a frantic staccato against her ribs and she suddenly had the strong impulse to go to him.

The feel of the king's arms tightening around her had her snapping out of her trance with the death angel.

Alluna looked up into the face of the man who claimed he was her father.

His eyes glowed like embers, and that very moment he was narrowing them at her. "Do you know this reaper?"

Alluna heard the steel edge in his deep voice. Somehow it made her feel uneasy. She shook her head slowly. "N-no, sir. I do not," Alluna answered softly.

The king's lips pursed minutely, his gaze lowering to her belly. His hand came up over the small bump. "Are you sure?"

"I don't know him. I've never seen him before." I think—she thought quietly to herself.

"Alluna, who left you with child?"

The hush in the dining hall was so complete, Alluna was sure everyone heard her nervous gulp.

Her eyes welled, making the king's features blur. Alluna bowed her head, feeling self-conscious. "I don't know, sir. I don't remember."

King Lumar cradled her against his chest. "Don't cry, my child. I promise you that when I find out who degraded you, he will wish he'd never been born."

Those words made her shiver. What if something had happened to the father of her unborn? What if he hadn't abandoned her after all but had been... abducted...hurt...slain?

She closed her eyes with a sniffle, but opened them again to cast a sideways glance at the reaper. He still knelt, however his eyes were now trained on her. Alluna was caught in their blue depts. Her breath caught in her throat and she felt herself begin to tremble. Oh, gods—what was he doing to her? Who was he?

King Lumar's finger turned her face to his. "Do you fear this reaper, daughter of mine?" The king's lips were turned down in a frown. "One word, Alluna... is this the man who defiled you? I will put him to death this very instant, my child."

She gasped, her head shaking before she even realized what she was doing. "No, sir, please. Don't kill him. I..." Alluna peered at the kneeling reaper. He must have heard her father, and yet he remained on his knees, pledged sword still held out in offering. "I'm not sure I've ever seen a reaper up close. That's all. Please don't hurt him."

The king seemed satisfied with her answer to her relief. He looked back up at the reaper and his two companions. "My daughter will have eight guards watching her all the time. I want them changed every eight hours, a fresh set of eight, rested, well trained. You and your companions report to your commander. If he deems you fit for the job, then you will be one of princess Alluna's personal guards."

"Thank you, Your Highness," the reapers deep voice said. The blond and redhead to either side of him bowed also, and then they stood upright and began to back away.

"Wait," the king suddenly said. "Zachariel of Angelos, come here."

Alluna's spine stiffened, and she gaped at the six-foot-plus death angel's advancement to the head of the table.

He sheathed his sword at his side and moved with feral grace toward her. Alluna was reminded of a predator stalking prey.

When he towered over her and the king, king Lumar ordered him to kneel.

His golden head dipped again just before his knees touched the floor a second time. The silky black of his feathers rustled as once again he spread them. They had to be no less than fifteen feet from tip to tip.

King Lumar lifted Alluna off his lap and leveled his golden eyes on her, face solemn. "I would have no heir of mine fearful. Touch your guard."

What? She couldn't believe he was telling her to put her hands on a reaper. She really didn't want to, but didn't want to displease the king.

She looked down upon the reaper's bowed head. At least he wasn't staring at her face. Her hand trembled as she lifted it to his head.

The ground beneath her feet trembled and the sound of distant thunder echoed in her ears.

Alluna snatched her hand back with a gasp as the reaper surged to his feet. Black feathers whispered over her face and the sound of steel being unsheathed hissed through the room.

Her nose was almost pressed against the thick braid that hung down his back. Another booming roll of thunder rolling beneath her feet had her gripping his waist in fear.

The reaper turned a little, his arm going around her waist to bring her to his side. His silver eyes burned down into hers.

King Lumar stepped up next to them, his face thunderous. "We're being attacked. Make sure you keep her safe, reaper."

"With my life," he answered.

Movement surged all around her. The queen and the royal princesses were being ushered out by their guards. The guards that had escorted her down into the dining hall crowded around now.

"We'll take over from here, warrior," a blond guard snarled up at the reaper.

The reaper's arms tightened around her. "I promised the king I'd guard her with my life, Brock."

"The second shift of guards take over immediately after breaking the morning fast. You are not part of my shift. Back away."

The edges of the room grew dark. People were being ushered out and the King had already taken up his sword and rushed out through an outer passageway. Alluna felt the darkness close in on them. It wasn't something natural, but exuded magic... evil magic.

She felt the hair at the nape of her neck prickle and wriggled out of Zak's hold.

He released her to grip his sword. The shadows turned to shapes, with glowing gold eyes with slit pupils.

Devils. Alluna stared horrified at devils. They blinked their golden eyes at the reaper. Shouldn't they be running in terror of him?

One of the warriors slashed a sword toward one. The creature darted out of the way and sent its tail whipping back to crack across the guard's chest. The man fell writhing to the ground, screaming in agony.

The demons all gave a hissing laugh and pounced upon all present.

The ones surrounding her and the reaper only circled, as if still unsure.

Alluna stared from the creatures to the reaper. He didn't need to touch them to kill them, but she sensed no power emanating from him. She sensed power, but it was contained in a vacuum-like control. Why wasn't he releasing it?

From the corner of her eye, his companions did not hesitate to attack the devils. The white-haired blond looked like a blur of motion, a small pile of twitching devils forming around him. Heads, arms, legs and tails flew, gobbets of flesh and innards splattering all over.

Alluna covered her mouth, feeling her stomach heave.

In another corner, a poor warrior was torn asunder by three devils.

The red-haired fae, that had also accompanied the reaper kicked out and swung his sword, his body moving with the grace of an exotic dancer. He allowed the devils closer access to him and actually licked his lips in delight whenever a tail or claw sliced ribbons of red across his body.

One devil slashed its tail at the reaper. The blue tail wrapped around his forearm, but he swiped his sword and cut the tail with one clean swing. The blue devil screamed and red blood dripped from the reaper's thick forearm. Golden eyes darted from the screeching devil to the reaper.

They probably drew the same conclusion as Alluna. This death angel was not really a death angel.

They pounced.

Alluna stumbled back and watched horrified, her heart beating practically in her throat. He fought valiantly though, became bloodied from the claws and tails, but, just like his companions, killed as many devils as they did.

A few devils drew near her. Her belly moved drawing her hands to it.

There was life within her. More than one. She needed to protect her babies. Desperation pushed out the terror inside her, followed quickly by anger.

Everything began to glow. It was like seeing the world around her through blue fire. Her skin crawled with it.

Zak's eyes widened when he looked at her. That momentary lapse of attention had two devils lash their tails around his arms. A third wrapped its tail around his neck. They were going to kill him.

"Nooo!"

Her voice was alien even to her. The blue glow grew intense until she channeled all that energy to her hands. Blue fire licked down her arms to her hands and she sent it out.

The light was blinding, the backlash of power blowing her hair back, causing the tables and chairs and food to fly against the walls.

When the light faded, leaving a static crackle in the air, the devils were gone.

Most of the warriors were injured. Four of them were dead.

The white-haired warrior knelt over the reaper, who was still trying to breathe after almost having his throat crushed.

"Way to go, Luna," the red-haired fae grinned as he neared her.

She stared at his face. His clothing was ripped, showing bloody cuts. One cut was so close to his eye, that just a hairsbreadth higher might have cost him one of those glittering green-gold gems. He was beautiful, not handsome, but sexual, alluring.

She took a step back. "You look like Remuel."

He stopped, his grin fading. He blinked at her. "What?"

The white-haired warrior was helping the reaper stand. Sapphire eyes darted to her. "Luna," he croaked.

The fae gripped her arm. "Who did you say I looked like?"

Alluna stared at him. She remembered the name and the face, but she didn't remember anything else. Who was Remuel? Why did looking into this fae's face bring the image of another similar to him? The hair was the same color, like fresh blood, deep, dark, vivid crimson, but the other man's hair had been a shimmering spill straight down his back. This one's hair was cut in a way that it stuck up in all directions, like the corona of a sun before trailing down his back in a sharp V to his backside.

"We need to get the princess out of here," one of the warriors shouted.

She felt the reaper approach before she even saw him.

He shoved passed the fae and gripped her arms. "Are you okay? Did they hurt you?" His hand splayed over her belly and she felt whatever was inside roll against his palm, seeking his warmth. It made her gasp. She stared up at him and the realization hit her. This was the man who'd gotten her pregnant. The babes in her womb recognized their father.

She didn't know whether to be overjoyed or outraged. So many questions swarmed in her mind. Who was he? Why weren't they together? Why couldn't she remember anything that had to do with him or why or how she became pregnant?

Another boom shook the floor beneath her slippers.

"It's the mages. They're attacking the kingdom," a new warrior shouted running into the dining hall.

Everyone that wasn't a warrior had cleared out. She was left surrounded by a group of fifty warriors and guards.

A tall warrior approached. He was gigantic, dark-skinned, but not as black as her father. His hair was pulled back away from his harsh face in rows of thin braids that fell half way down his broad back. He might have been a handsome man once, but half of his face was mutilated like minced meat. One ebony eye peered out from beneath a mass of scar tissue and the skin covering his deformed cheek looked raw and deep red. Something big and pronged has bashed the side of his face. The fact that he'd lived after such an injury spoke volumes of the type of warrior he was.

"We need to get her aboard a boat and out to the northern sea," he barked striding toward her.

Zak, the reaper stiffened and scowled at the man. "Out to sea? Commander Braze..."

"It's the only way we've managed to keep our women and children safe," commander Braze said. He gripped Alluna's hand and pulled her after him.

Alluna stumbled after the commander, but after a few steps, she was swept off her feet, by the reaper.

"I've got her," he said.

She gaped at him for two seconds before scowling. "Put me down. I can walk."

All her bravado shriveled up and withered when he looked at her. His brows drew together and his mouth tightened into a firm line.

Alluna held her tongue and finally looked away from his burning gaze, biting her lower lip.

Stars above, what in hells name was that all about? Her whole body shivered and she felt as if she'd down something awful. He didn't say anything to her. Didn't say a word, but she felt his...what? Anger? Annoyance?

One look was all it took to have her casting her glance away from him. The weight of his stare had been too much for her to withstand.

Again she shivered. Why? Why had yelling at him made her feel so...bad, guilty?

***

They moved through a secret panel that slid in the floor by one of the fountains in the main hall in the center of the royal tree—a tree that measured about two hundred paces across and towered four times that height into the clouds. It was what perhaps a normal tree would look like to an ant, Zak mused.

The entire kingdom was made up of these trees, but the one where the royal family resided was the largest and most impressive. Commander Braze had told him that at one time the entire planet's surface had been covered with these sacred trees, but the newcomers that had been allowed seek refuge on Arboria began to desecrate the planet by killing the trees to build other types of shelter.

The native Arborians ran most of the aliens out to the dessert, into the southern regions of the star-shaped main continent. At least there, there was nothing to kill but sand dunes and the large mountainous rock formations.

The secret passage beneath the fountains was wide and smelled of wet soil. Roots hung from above like lacey webbing. The faint scent of the sea tickled his nose and a faint breeze wafted against his skin giving him goose bumps.

Alluna was quiet in his arms, sullen. Her little outburst of temper had really riled him. After the attack on the kingdom and the appearance of devils, he thought he'd go insane thinking she'd be hurt or killed. Seeing her body aflame with blue fire had scared the living shit out of him. He hadn't cared that his momentary lapse of attention had nearly cost him his own life. That fire had come from her—her own powers manifesting themselves. She'd burned those devils to vapor. Not even their ashes remained. Fucking awesome.

Still, He was so terrified something might take her away after he'd finally found her that when she protested his carrying her, it was all he could do not to pull her over his lap and swat her beguiling little ass.

Zak looked down at her bowed head and fought the urge to press a kiss to her forehead. He longed to take her home, to Alpha 7. Damn protocol, damn the king and Arboria. Fucking planet was still in its barbaric warring stage. Never mind that the aliens had actually started it all. Beings moving into other planets had to observe and respect the host planets laws. If they didn't like it, they should leave.

But why didn't the Arborian Master Guardians toss out the rogue aliens? Something did not make sense here. Zak was sure the Master Guardians were up to no good. Unfortunately the L-O-S didn't realize that when they backed them up. In all this insanity, only the Alpha Angels were regarded with suspicion.

After running for what seemed like eternity, the tunnel widened out to a large windy cave. The smell of sea salt was strong and the waves could be heard thundering ahead.

Light blinded him when they turned one last bend in the cave and came upon a straight drop. Hundreds of feet below, the sea churned and smashed against the cliff face.

Alluna's arms tightened around his neck in fear.

Zak glared at commander Braze. "What the fuck? Are we supposed to drop her to some boat down there?"

Commander Braze snorted. "Of course not. Are you daft? We drop her so that dragon can catch her and take her to the safety of the royal ship beyond the horizon," he growled pointing to the sky.

Zak's jaw dropped and he looked back out, but this time up to where commander Braze pointed. The sun was sinking out to the west, turning the sky shades of gold, pink, lilac and plum. Before wisps of cottony clouds dusted pink was an enormous golden dragon. His wings beat a steady rhythm as he zipped back and forth in the sky, his fiery eyes riveted on Alluna.

Zak could not help the snarl that erupted from his throat. His skin seemed to crawl with rage as he hugged Alluna tighter to his chest. Hands gripped his biceps to whirl him around.

Seth's wide pale-blue eyes stared him down. Remien was already humming the Dragon's Lullaby, looking just as nervous.

"Zak, calm," Seth said holding his arms in a death grip.

"What the hell's going on," Brock snapped. "Commander, do something. Why isn't he dropping the princess?"

"Stand down, soldier," Braze commanded when Zak heard the unmistakable hiss of steel being unsheathed.

It was either fight or flee. One look at Alluna's terrified face had him making up his mind. She was his to protect, and protect he would.

Zak opened his implanted wings. There was no time to hope or pray he was strong enough to fly. He took a flying leap off the lip of the cliff and saw the sea rushing at him. His arms tightened around Alluna, who'd buried her face against his neck as she screamed.

***

Alluna's throat felt raw. His body bulged with muscle against hers, hot like fire. The wind was icy cold, but not as cold as she imagined the water was going to be when they finally hit it.

Would they survive the plunge? Impossible. She caught a glimpse of the hundred foot waves that smashed against the cliff face before he dived off. They would be pulverized in an instant.

She panted, no longer feeling the sensation of falling and peeled back one eyelid to see.

Misty clouds surrounded them for a second before the endless sky stretched over their heads. His black wings thundered behind his back and below, through brief holes in the puffy clouds, she caught sight of the glittering ocean...far-far below.

She gasped and held him tighter with a whimper.

"It's alright baby. I've got you," he whispered in her ear.

"Hey, what gives?"

Zak turned his head with a snarl. Flying right next to them was another reaper with dark hair.

She heard him gasp and both reapers stared at each other in shock.

"Eriel?"

"Holy-shit! Zak?"

A shadow passed over them. Alluna looked up to see two dragons hovering over them.

"Shit," Zak cursed.

"Easy," Eriel shouted with a grin. "They're with me. We need to take her down there."

Alluna looked to where he pointed. There was a large ship below. They descended.

Nothing but females and small children were aboard. Alluna clung to Zak's neck when he landed upon the deck. He allowed Alluna to slide from his arms, but kept her close against him.

"You must leave now, warrior."

12