The Woodlander

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Suddenly Charles pushed Tom away, calling out, "Duck!"

Tom lowered his head in surprise, just as Charles shot a jet over Tom's head. Tom stared in awe at the sight, his excitement inducing his own body to respond.

***

Riding onward, Tom and Charles were in such high spirits that they laughed and sang as if drunk. A peasant stared at them curiously as they approached, then both lads burst out laughing. The peasant patted himself, bemused as to the source of their amusement.

They crested the final hill before Brackenworth. Until that moment Tom had successfully shut out all thoughts of their parting, but now the inevitable end of each other's company was in sight.

"I hope your commission goes well," said Tom, aware his tone was now solemn, all mirth gone. He tried to lighten it. "All those young men."

"To look but not to touch will be sheer torture. Are you happy with you life here Tom? Perhaps you might enlist with me if you are not."

The very possibility had never occurred to Tom. Tom hugged Charles tighter around the waste. "Charles, I would follow you anywhere."

Charles halted the horse and looked over his shoulder. "A soldier's life is a tough one, you know. I shall look into the matter. If I can arrange everything I shall come for you and we shall embark on an adventure together. With you at my side, the future will no longer be doom and gloom."

"For me either."

They dismounted while still out of sight of the village.

Charles hugged Tom. "But don't imagine for one minute it will be easy, though. And we'd be very lucky if we got a moment alone together."

Tom recalled the excitement of hunting game, even being chased by Henshaw, and knew that army life was the sort of life he was made for.

Charles mounted once more. "Farewell for now, then Tom. I will come for you."

Tom waved. "Farewell Charles."

Glowing with excitement, Tom watched Charles canter away before heading on down the valley to his cottage.

12