The Yellow Cottage

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

If Jess thought that was the end of the matter, she was wrong. Scott grinned and said, "If your land grab novel takes off the Council may well pay a premium price to secure and demolish the yellow cottage if the public deduces your fictitious location is actually this location and is scandalized."

"Oooh, perhaps I best make the location somewhere else in New Zealand but just picture it as being this location?"

"Please yourself. In truth it probably won't make a great deal of difference. As legitimate owners, no one could force us off the land within the next twelve years."

* * *

Scott proposed to Jess on the morning she received a call from Nadine saying her new romance novel had been accepted for publication. They were married on the main beach three weeks later at a small wedding conducted by the settlement's monthly visiting clergyman on. A heavy surf was running.

Jess's cousin from Kerikeri was bridesmaid; Monica was matron of honour and Rex, Scott's buddy since schooldays was best man. Jess put her foot down and insisted Scott wear long pants and proper shoes; he thought white shorts and his best sandals would be okay. She wore a very short (top and bottom) strapless dress of white taffeta with a ruched bodice with drapes at the waist. The sweetheart neckline was beaded. Of course she looked stunning.

With the ceremony underway there was bedlam. Monica's six-year-old Todd had wandered away from his father and was paddling when caught in an under-tow and dragged out. Razor heard his first cry and barking ran off to him. Scott raced after Razor and almost had Todd back to shore, none the worse for his experience and cheering up when told he was so brave at swimming, before Todd's father had reached the shoreline.

The wedding resumed, with Scott dripping, as he'd been up to his shoulders in surf when the next incoming wave had delivered Todd into his arms. The wedding breakfast was set up under the Norfolk pines and pohutukawas (sometimes called the New Zealand Christmas tree because its bright red flowers appear in mid to late December). Scott went home and reappeared grinning in his white shorts and best sandals. Monica was all over him kissing and stroking him, much to the amusement of everyone including her sister the bride.

Over champagne before the 11:30 lunch began, Linda Ewing startled Jess by telling her how much the publisher would spend on promoting the new novel as the board of Falcon and Salmon Publishing Ltd wanted a new best-seller added to its current list of titles.

"It's a very good novel Jess and I'd say that even if as an author you were a stranger to me. This was a completely commercial decision and your book was up against five other new titles and the editorial board's decision was unanimous. So in three months expect your money tree to be really growing."

Linda then turned to the bridegroom. "And you Scott have excelled with your submission. We sent that submission to publishers we deal with in Sydney, New York and London and as a result your book will be simultaneous published under licence in London and New York with our printer supplying Australia. The initial combined print run will be 800,000 but expect that to soar once the critics, academics and feminist groups pounce after receiving review copies. Your easy and yet sophisticated style, your maturity as a learned writer with a touch of tease and wit shine through. Controversy will rage. When we received your proposal we gave you an advance of $5000 that we now wish to top up. Thank you darling," Linda said handing him a cheque and walking off.

Scott looked at the cheque and blinked, handing it to Jess who gasped and hugged him. They'd been planning to have their honeymoon staying with Jess's cousin and husband in Kerikeri but Scott said, "This is $20,000 waiting to be partly spent. I'm ducking off for a few minutes to find out if we can board a flight to somewhere that doesn't require a visa for short-stay visitors."

"When, where will we go? I have my bag pack for only a three-day stay."

"Mere trivialities. Where's your adventure my literary heroine?"

"Right do it."

Scott returned, grinning. "We can stay here another ninety minutes and then head to the airport. We fly to Rarotonga in the Cook Islands at 4:15 today. It's a four-hour flight into the tropics."

"Oh god, Scott," Linda said, jumping up and down and kissing him. "You are such an exciting person to know. Being the tropics we can go to bed at midday to escape the heat."

"Oh you are such an exciting person to know," Scott grinned and the reply was they could use their time up at the islands making their first baby.

"A baby, so soon?" Scott said, turning white.

"Keep calm, you will be a good father. Basically you are responsible."

"No, no. It's not that. I'm too young to be cut off from sex."

Jess took her big baby in hand. "You don't know everything do you? Depending on how I feel we can do it to quite near birthing. From then on until I'm in action again I'll allow you off the leash. From the way Linda looks at you I'm sure she'd be interested."

"But Jess darling, I want you."

"Oh god," Jess said wiping and eye. "How romantic."

Bazz who'd been standing by them waiting to fill their glasses with champagne, said cynically, "It's only a passing phase darling. Your bridegroom will soon pass through that phase but hopefully not during the honeymoon."

"If he does I might give you a call," Jess said brazenly.

Her new husband said in admiration. "My word Jess, you have become much more worldly since we first met. But let's keep what we've got intact. It's special."

"Yes darling. I agree."

THE END

1...67891011