Then Surely We

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Kyle Franklin, he's a civilian," I said. "We'll wait over here."

My phone buzzed as I sat down: Emily Simms.

"Hello, Em," I said.

"Ayla!" the usually-cheerful Emily said. "Kyle is famous. The video is trending. Already fifteen thousand views," she laughed. "I guess people just love to see a colonel get laid out by a short guy."

"We figured somebody would post it," I said, some of the regret in my voice.

"I don't need to know what happened, but I may be able to help. I know a good JAG lawyer, and he might be at Camp Lejeune right now. Would you like me to give him your number?"

I couldn't think of a better way to find a lawyer. "This is that one who helped Jonas?" I remembered his lawyer had written a book about the case that had gotten a lot of notice.

"Yeah. Tom Marx. He's great. If anyone can help you, he can. Although it looks open and shut to me."

"I think so too," I said. "Yeah, ask him to call me. We're at the Provost Marshal's office right now while Kyle is processed."

"Okay, expect his call. He's usually very prompt. Bye." She clicked off.

I looked at Gil and Mo to my right. "That was Emily Simms. An old friend of ours," I said specifically to Mo. "She knows a lawyer here and says he's pretty good. She gave him my number."

Mo said, "I wouldn't know where to look. I guess having a friend recommend someone is the best we can do."

We found seats along the wall. We had nothing to say.

A few minutes later, a tall, grey-haired Marine general came out into the room from the back. We were the only ones waiting, so he came right to us. He looked at Mo's and then my left hand and then addressed me.

"Mrs. Gilstrap?"

I stood, so did Mo and Gil.

"Yes?"

"I just got off the phone with Emily Simms. I'm Tom Marx," he said. His eyes were penetrating and intent, and the laugh lines about them were a surprise. He had a star on each collar.

"Quick! What a coincidence you were here," I said. "Yes, I'm Ayla Gilstrap, this is my husband Gil and our friend, Maureen Murray. Actually Mo's a coworker of Kyle's, and close friend." He shook hands with Gil and then Mo, looking at Gil a bit longer than usual and Mo almost piercingly.

He nodded and smiled. "I hope to prevail upon these good people to let us use a conference room, so if you'd all come back..." We followed the tall, energetic General Marx into the back then. He spoke to a major and some plainly-clothed men, shook their hands and pointed us to a room. We were soon seated about a table. Marx came in two or three minutes later with a briefcase.

"Good. Sorry I was so long, I had to change some plans." He then explained normal procedures. Kyle would probably be held in the brig overnight, perhaps kept on base for trial or it could be moved to the civilian court. He didn't know who would prosecute the case yet, or even if it would go to trial.

He opened his briefcase and opened a laptop. He found the recordings of Kyle. One now had 24,000 views. He played two for us, just watching. Once he stopped one, and looked carefully as the colonel said, "Semper Fidelis" although we could not hear it. It looked damning to me. Marx picked up on my trepidation.

"Video is not always as clear as it appears," he said. "It can indicate motivation sometimes, but often it confuses it." He looked thoughtful. "I'd like to talk to Kyle. If you would like, I'll offer to defend Mr. Franklin. It's up to him, of course."

Gil and Mo and I looked at each other. I saw agreement in their eyes.

"Yes, we'd like you to take the case," I said. "At least let Kyle decide."

He smiled. "Excuse me, I'll notify them not to interrogate Kyle without me there." He left the room for about five minutes.

He took a seat. "Good. They won't question him. Now why'd he hit the colonel?"

We talked for forty-five minutes. The general fired one question after another regarding relationships, the affair, even Mo and Gil. He was not surprised to discover that Gil was Dr. Gilstrap, but he actually seemed astounded that Mo was Dr. Murray. He quickly removed the surprise from his countenance.

Finally he pushed his chair back and looked relaxed.

"Mrs. Gilstrap, Dr. Murray, Dr. Gilstrap, it's been a pleasure. I wish it were under other circumstances. I'll go talk to Kyle now; that could take a while and it's unlikely you'll be able to see him tonight. I advise you to go shopping or swimming, try to get your mind off things. I'll be in touch tomorrow afternoon at the latest, probably before. Any questions?"

He looked around at us, but we were all shaking our heads. We were happy to leave things in his hands; he seemed to understand the situation. He stood, so we did. "Well then, I'll go see our guy." He shook hands with each of us, lastly with Mo. I think he had a twinkle in his eye about her.

*

I received a phone call about 9:30 the next morning. I had a towel around me. Gil was on the bed hoping to watch me dress.

"Mrs. Gilstrap?" a woman asked.

"Yes, this is Ayla Gilstrap," I said.

"I'm Marie Jett, General Marx's assistant. He's in a meeting so he can't call you himself, but he said to inform you that Mr. Franklin will be released this afternoon around three from the brig. You can find the brig on the map or Google. If you can't pick him up, let us know. You have the general's number?"

"Yes, I do. This is great news. When will we hear about a trial or charges?"

"Maybe by then. They're still discussing the issues," she said. "I was in the meeting for a bit and the prosecutor was not happy to discover there was reason for mitigation."

"Thank you, Ms. Jett, very much," I said. We clicked out.

Gil was on the bed. The girls were with Mom and Dad eating some rolls in the hotel lobby. I assumed Mo was in her room.

"Kyle's being released at three this afternoon. They still haven't decided on charges."

"Good!" Gil said. "Are we picking him up?"

"Yeah," I said. Gil was looking at me like he did sometimes. "You owe me," I said.

"What?"

"I'm one orgasm behind," I said.

"We should do something about that," he said. He rolled over to the edge of the bed, hanging his head mostly off it. I dropped the towel, went over, and straddled him, and I felt his tongue where I wanted it. But I couldn't resist eventually, I never can, and I had to take him in my mouth. I liked feeling him harden on my tongue as his tongue circled my clitoris. Fifteen minutes passed quickly.

I'm still an orgasm behind. I'm not worried. I'm due for a three-climax event, and he won't be able to do more than pace me for the first. I expect to take a double orgasm lead.

*

Kyle Franklin narrating

An hour or so after we arrived at the provost building, I was taken into an office where a tall brigadier general stood and introduced himself. He held out his hand, so I shook it.

"Mr. Franklin, I'm General Tom Marx. Your sister-in-law asked me to represent you. Is that your desire?"

A general? A general would be my lawyer? "Yes, sir, if you will. I assume you know the system?"

"Yes. I've handled many cases in and out of service. I'm a reservist. I'm with a law firm in Washington, D.C. much of the time."

"Yes, how much do you cost?"

Marx smiled. "We'll work it out. I'm actually on duty, so nothing until after you're charged."

I nodded. He sat so I took the other chair in the office.

"I've seen recordings on Youtube, so the actual incident is fairly clear. I spoke to your brother- and sister-in-law and your co-worker Dr. Murray. I understand the motivation was NOT simple upset at the loss of your wife. I need to hear from you why you hit him."

I looked at his eyes. They were unwavering. He let time pass.

Finally, I said, "You know about his affair with Jill?"

"Yes. I'll need to see any evidence you have of that."

I nodded. "I have recordings, a summary letter from Jill. I guess we could dig up evidence of her abortion..."

"Is everything in your phone?" he asked.

"The videos, their emails. I have her written summary at home."

The general looked thoughtful. "We may need that, but I'll see after tomorrow."

I told him everything in order, as I had said to myself so many times.

When I came to the homecoming, I just said I couldn't take it and I struck out,

He asked, "Okay, so did you plan to hit him? Were you trying to create a scene? Embarrass him?"

"No. I told Jill before she left for Afghanistan that Semper Fidelis means always faithful, and I don't think it just means regarding the Corps. I think it means always faithful to your virtue, too. Always faithful in your life. When the colonel said it to me, it was as if he were intentionally humiliating me. I'm not a willing cuckold. Never. I'll never get over it completely."

Marx was quiet. "How serious is your relationship with Dr. Murray? Were you lovers? Are you lovers? Such a relationship undermines your case."

I shook my head. "No, there is feeling there, but we don't even go to lunch alone (maybe twice for work over the years). We didn't touch, never held hands, never kissed. We're serious now, but we still haven't gone on a date, certainly haven't had sex. She's very special that way. No affair. We are getting closer since Jill died and the separation before that, but.... Mo knew we were estranged before deployment, and why. At least in general."

He drummed his fingers on the table. Finally, he stood up.

"May I call you Kyle? You may call me Tom, or General, whatever is comfortable."

"Of course, Kyle is fine," I said.

"An affair between officers in the same command is a major embarrassment to the Marine Corps, especially a commanding officer. We do not take assault and battery lightly, but I must say there are many officers and enlisted men who would feel you justified, if it had been done in private. But it was in public, and that deserves consideration. I'll be in touch with you tomorrow."

"Thank you, General. I don't expect a miracle."

He smiled. "I've never delivered a miracle. I hope I can improve your situation. I much liked the Gilstraps and Dr. Murray. I'll be getting your phone if you'll release it to me; I need your passwords."

*

I received a note from General Marx the next morning at about 10:15. "You will be released from the brig this afternoon. We're still discussing charges. Marx."

Some hours passed. I prayed. I actually prayed, and I think I was heard.

"Franklin!" someone called. My jailor.

"Yes?"

"You're being released. I understand your lawyer will be in touch." He opened the door for me, then motioned down the hall. He handed me a paper. "This way. Stay with me." He walked quickly.

My phone was not among my property. Wallet and keys and some change were. I signed a paper.

"All but the phone?" he asked. "Your lawyer has it. Good."

"Yes, all here," I said. "They may need it for a trial."

"Could be, could be. Hope not to see you back, Franklin."

"Thanks, Lance Corporal. I never want to set foot on a Marine base again."

"Lot of that around here," he said.

A door opened and I saw a tunnel of barbed wire and cyclone fencing to Gil, Ayla, and Mo. I walked to them and we hugged. Mo's hand was on my back, and my hand was on her waist.

"So how was it in the slammer?" Gil asked.

"Not a fun place, but no one mistreated anybody," I said. "Shared a cell with some poor kid who says he just wants out of the Marines. Cried all night long."

"Not exactly gung-ho," Gil said.

"No," I said.

We headed for the car in a parking lot nearby. Mo and I had our arms about each other, and it felt natural. Gil and Ayla were holding hands. We followed them to Mo's car.

As we got to the car, Ayla's phone rang. "General Marx, we just picked up Kyle... Yes. That's the one... Okay. We'll see you in a few minutes."

"He wants to talk to us at the motel. I forgot to ask if Mom and Dad could be there."

"Good! All I know is that I was released. No word on a trial date or anything," I said.

We arrived at the motel and Ayla went to the desk to ask if we could use a conference room for an hour. Mom and Dad decided to stay with the napping children. Ayla nodded at that. They didn't need to be reminded of Jill's behavior.

Marx strode into the lobby, where we were all waiting.

"General, I've arranged for a meeting room here," Ayla pointed to a door.

"Good," he replied. We filed in and arranged ourselves around the table. Mo was beside me, Marx on the other side across the table.

"I don't know how much you know about JAG procedures. There are not defense or prosecution attorneys usually. The guy in charge appoints them for each case. When I told him I had been requested and agreed to represent Kyle, he appointed one of my former students as prosecutor. He's good. I convinced... well no need for that. They had no knowledge of the affair between Major Kinnison and Colonel Devereaux. I pulled up one of the videos on a computer screen and the prosecutor folded."

Mo asked, "What do you mean he folded?"

Marx was slow to answer, looking at Mo as if she were a delicate flower that might never be so lovely after another breath. "He realized the Marine Corps was going to come out of a trial bloodied. Our responsibility is to the best interests of the Corps as well as justice. The affair might in a sense make the Corps culpable for a divorce. The Corps absolutely condemns affairs of married officers, especially between superiors and subordinates."

"So what about Kyle?" Mo asked.

"They agreed to drop charges. The commanding general of the Second Marine Division is sending his second in command to request that Colonel Devereaux resign immediately, or face the loss of his pension if we must convene a court martial."

"What about all the publicity?" I asked. "Won't the press demand something?"

Marx said, "It may be a problem, but sooner or later it will come out that the colonel doesn't want charges. The headlines are bad now: 'Gold Star Husband Clocks Colonel' was my favorite."

There were chuckles.

"Oh, I forgot," Marx said. "You must promise me, Kyle, that you will NEVER set foot on another Marine Base of any kind."

Kyle smiled. "I swear I will never step on a US Marine Base again."

Marx smiled and nodded. "Thanks."

"What about Marge Devereaux?" Ayla asked.

"I don't know," Marx said. "It would be tough to be divorced as a woman at 45 or so. She might think things over for a while."

Ayla nodded. "It was new to her yesterday. I guess she's not necessarily in a hurry."

Gil and I nodded.

Marx looked at his watch.

"I must go. I have to get to New River so I can get into D.C. before dark. I hate to fly in the dark," he said. He stood, as did we all.

He shook hands first with Ayla. "You are one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen, Mrs. Gilstrap. And forthright. It's been an honor."

He turned to Gil and shook his hand. "I am sorry we didn't have a chance to talk. I looked up your papers online last night and you have got the most intriguing ideas. Perhaps in the future."

Gil nodded. "Thank you. I hope so."

Mo was next. He took her tiny right hand in both his and leaned down to her. "I hope you and Kyle stay together. You are beautiful and fascinating. I found one of your book reviews of a James Jones novel. Really: allegory? Allegory? We must talk!" He shook his head and smiled. Mo was blushing.

"Kyle, I think your understanding of the Marines' motto is more profound than most Marines'. I may use your story someday if I ever think it appropriate. I'll change the names, of course."

"Thank you, General," I said. "You needn't change the names."

"Thank you all, and goodnight." He turned and left.

It was as if a driving force had suddenly dissipated. We were speechless for a moment.

*

Kyle Franklin narrating

It became dusk. We would all head home in the morning.

Mo and I decided to walk in the park behind the motel. We felt more alone there, although anyone could look out a motel window and see us. Mo was closer than usual. Sometimes her hip would graze mine. Then I felt her hand slide into mine.

"Kyle," Mo said, "I love you, you know."

"Yeah," I said, "I've known for some time. You know I do."

"Yeah," she said, "I've known for some time." She was pensive.

"What is it?" I asked, relinquishing her hand to put my arm around her.

"I'm not Jill," she said. "She'll always be your first love."

"Yeah, I know..." I said, "but I want you to be my last."

We went on in silence. The evening star was out. Shadows were long and then gone as the sun's direct rays lifted.

"I want you, Kyle, but I also want you to forgive her. I want her to be in your past."

"Why does it matter?"

"I don't want to be compared to her. When we make love, I want you to know who is in your arms."

We walked, now circling a little pond with ducks quacking.

"You have to meet my parents," she said.

"I can't wait."

She turned to face me and put her hands about my neck, which was not easy for her. She pulled me down so her lips were by my ear.

"Love me."

I lifted her then, as you would lift a child, and perhaps some thought that was exactly what I was doing. But I clasped her to me, feeling her little body against mine, and our lips met hard for the first time.

THE END

1...456789