There and Back Again Ch. 115-116

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Leliana approached the elf, who looked much less haunted than she had when we'd left, and claimed a hug as well. "Nicely done, Kallian." We all agreed, sending her smiles and nods of approval.

"So anyway, I'm here to inform you that his Majesty would like to meet with the Warden Commanders and Lady Theirin at your earliest convenience."

Aedan and Alistair exchanged pouts, and I laughed. "Come on, boys. Let's not keep the King waiting."

Kallian escorted us to another wing of the Palace, where the furniture had largely been moved out of two adjacent ballrooms, and instead pallets had been built for the wounded soldiers. Cailan paced through the makeshift infirmary, calling out orders and stopping to hold a hand or wipe the brow of an injured person as he passed by. Waving acknowledgement when he saw us, he spoke briefly to a couple of people who appeared to be more-or-less in charge, then rushed over to us.

His skin was slightly sallow, dark circles ringed both of his eyes, and he was wearing the same clothes from the evening before. His expression was one of grim determination overriding complete exhaustion, and Alistair and I exchanged worried glances before following him down a hallway to a nearby sitting room.

He slumped into a chair, sighing heavily, and we all did the same as he gestured to chairs. "Kallian? Would you join us?"

The elf, surprised, settled into a chair gracefully, and it was nice to see she didn't appear nervous in a relatively small room with three human men. We all turned our attention to the exhausted king.

"Cailan?" I ventured. "When was the last time you slept?"

He twitched slightly, and I scowled – he was preparing to lie to me, and I wasn't going to have any of that. "The truth, if you please."

He sighed. "On the road. There's been too much to do since we arrived."

"Cailan..." Aedan's tone was almost motherly, and I stifled the urge to giggle.

"Tonight, okay? I promise. But that's not why I asked you here, so could you all quit pretending to be my parents for a second or two?"

I did laugh at that, and we all flushed slightly. "Yes your Majesty," I teased, and even Kallian giggled as Cailan stuck his tongue out at me. "How may we assist the Crown?"

"Alright, so...hear me out before you make a judgement, but...I want to burn down the Alienage."