There and Back Again Ch. 075-076

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Hold her."

The two dwarves approached, one on either side. Suddenly being in the chair seemed like a distinct disadvantage. I jumped up, only to be knocked back down as one of the dwarves charged, his shoulder slamming into my gut. I gasped for breath, and flailed as the chair started to fall; it didn't get far, before one dwarf had my arm, wrist and elbow gripped in such a way that he could easily dislocate it if I fought, and the other was practically sitting in my lap, with a hold around my neck and head, immobilizing me further.

"Now now, deary, don't fight. How will your friends know I tell the truth unless I send them something to recognise you by?"

She held up the metal gadget she had, and I gasped as she turned it. It was like a miniature guillotine, obviously designed for a single finger to fit into. She was going to cut off a finger and send it back as proof of life. I almost threw up, but I couldn't struggle, not even a little bit.

"Like it? Beraht had this made for me right before he died. Wasn't he a sweetheart? I haven't gotten to use it yet."

"Stop!" I cried. "Wait, I've got something else. Something you can send as proof you have me. Please, let me show you."

Jarvia examined my face, before nodding once. The man sitting on me stood, releasing my head, but the other kept my elbow and wrist locked. I reached down into my pocket with my free hand and pulled out the little device charger I'd stored there, the one just like the others I'd brought before. I held it out towards Jarvia, hand shaking.

"You've never seen one of these before. They are absolutely unique. They come from my homeland. There are only four of these in all of Thedas, and the Wardens have three. They will know. When they see this, they'll know you have me. Please. Take it."

The dwarf holding my other arm let go when Jarvia nodded, plucking the charger from my hand and dropping it into Jarvia's outstretched palm. She inspected it, turning it over, clearly puzzled by the little tube. Finally she looked at me.

"Where's your homeland? I don't recognise this metal."

I nodded, trying to appease her. I sorted through memories, trying to think where I could say I was from without it sounding ridiculous or getting caught on geography I wasn't familiar enough with. "I come from very far away. North and across the ocean from Tevinter, north of the Qunari homeland." I didn't think many in Thedas would know what was up there. I hope. "I don't actually know what sort of metal that is, but it can't be found here. I brought four of those with me when I came; there are no others in all of Thedas."

"What does it do?"

"It...I don't think I could explain it properly. It sort of...harnesses lightning, I suppose. It can be used as a power source."

"By a mage? It's magic?"

"I...sort of, yes." I cursed myself for not being able to come up with a more coherent lie. I'm just not that creative under pressure!

"Very well. If this isn't accepted as proof, I suppose I will just have to send them two fingers, instead of one. And if they don't accept my deal, they should be prepared to have all of you delivered to them, one bloody piece at a time."

I was truly scared shitless by this point. I was barely suppressing the tears, and I squeezed my legs together -- I needed to pee. I cleared my throat.

"What do you want them to do? What are you going to do to me now?"

"As for what, it doesn't matter to you. They do it and you'll survive; they don't, and we'll make a scavenger hunt of your body parts all over Orzammar. For now," she turned to the two dwarves still watching me with cruel eyes, "put her in the dungeon."

I was dragged from the chair by one arm and my hair, making me cry out. I was yanked until I hunched over, and a blindfold was slipped over my head. Then both arms were being held, and I was being half-carried, half-pushed towards the door.

"And boys -- no funny business, you hear? She's worth less if she's damaged."

We walked for what seemed like a long time, and I wondered just how big the hideout actually was -- though it occurred to me that they could be walking me in circles for all I knew. I had enough trouble keeping up while blind-folded, never mind all scrunched down, and I had no idea where I was when we finally paused. I heard one of my escorts grunt, and then felt a slight breeze as hinges groaned. We continued on, and then I was pushed, roughly -- I stumbled forward, catching myself on a wall with my outstretched hands, just in time to hear the clang of a metal door closing. I ripped off my blindfold and turned to find myself in a little dungeon cell.

The cell was perhaps four feet, cubed; three walls were solid stone, one of which was wet, and water trickled down from the ceiling to pool along the crease where wall met floor. The fourth wall was, instead, made up of narrowly spaced metal bars set into the floor and ceiling. I couldn't stand up all the way, nor could I have stretched out all the way if I laid down. There was a crude bucket in one corner -- I figured I knew what that was for, and shuddered -- and that was it. No bed, no blankets, no chairs. My jailors were walking away, and went through a heavy wooden door without looking back. The hinges squealed again, and they were gone.

I put my back against one of the dry walls and slid down to sit, my knees up, my face in my hands, and I cried. I was alone, cold, and terrified. I had no idea what Jarvia wanted from the Wardens, but it likely wasn't good. I clenched my hands; the thought of having had one of my fingers cut off made me want to be physically sick. I finally succumbed, crawling over to the vile, dirty bucket and losing the contents of my stomach in a series of heaves. When I was done, I crawled back away from the bucket, curled up again, and let myself sob.

When I'd finally cried myself out, a soft voice disturbed my rather depressed thoughts.

"So what's a human doing in the Carta's dungeon?"

I looked up, startled, but could see no one. I crawled over to the bars of my cell, pressing my head against the bars as far as it would go.

"H-hello? Who's there?"

I saw an arm stick out on my right. "No one important, that's for sure. Just fellow prisoners."

"My name is Sierra. I'm here because I accidentally ended up in Dust Town and was captured by someone who owed Jarvia coin, and she took me in payment instead. May I ask your name?"

"Such manners! I'm Brosca. And the quiet lout on my other side who'll be dead the minute I get out of here is Leske."